Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My post was directed at Covoc, we posted at the same time so I didn't bother quoting.

Both books have all sorts of other things besides x-taurs and Cen-x's, though. B&B's rather infamous for the extremely niche poo poo it has, like halfling/blink dogs, and half-gnolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/284209/Day_of_the_Tentacle_amp__The_Division_devs_unite_to_write_World_of_Darkness_audio_drama.php

Well this is a thing.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mors Rattus posted:

Because wemics were not well-received.

Wemics are cool :colbert:
One of my first characters ever was a wemic fighter, back from the complete book of humanoids and I've had a soft spot for them ever since

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

How many dead forms of media can they invest in?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I like audio dramas. They're great for having something to listen to while you fall asleep or work out. I've been doing audio books for a decade now and I love it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gumball Gumption posted:

Welcome to Night Vale is pretty popular, but the demographic fits the CofD better than the oWoD.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Why is it "interactive"? Why would anyone think that gimmick is a good idea?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

I hear there's a series of cave paintings in development too. They won't be done until after they carve the introduction into stone tablets though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jhet posted:

I hear there's a series of cave paintings in development too. They won't be done until after they carve the introduction into stone tablets though.

See the problem there is that's actually kind of cool and not something that would've been considered back in the 1990's, which is where VGB is getting all his ideas.

Do you think he's tried to sell Paradox on an FMV game yet?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kavak posted:

Why is it "interactive"? Why would anyone think that gimmick is a good idea?

I'm picturing a CYOA book but with the metaplot.

"If you want to pursue the Prince, turn to page 100!

If you don't want to pursue the Prince, turn to page 100!"

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kavak posted:

See the problem there is that's actually kind of cool and not something that would've been considered back in the 1990's, which is where VGB is getting all his ideas.

Ok yeah, those could be really cool things.

I would love to see the Testament of Longinus done in Illuminated manuscript style too. I like the original layout, but I've never seen a copy in person, and the drivethrurpg printing just wouldn't be the same. I realize that there's just not a market for a print run of it, so I don't expect to ever seen one. Books like this that are almost entirely text specific to a part of the game world are a blast to me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
isn't earplay also doing one of these for scion

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Gumball Gumption posted:

Radio dramas aren't quite dead. BBC four commissions and plays hundreds of new ones each year. It's actually a very good way for new screenwriters to get commissioned because they're so cheap to produce, the BBC is more willing to take a risk.

Admittedly a lot of them aren't that good and the audience is almost entirely old people but still, they exist.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blockhouse posted:

isn't earplay also doing one of these for scion

And Pugmire.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kurieg posted:

But we already have Pugmire.

Legit can't wait for this to come out.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
My first reaction to seeing the audio dramas in the scion KS was "well this is weird", but after thinking about it it kinda makes sense to me. The popularity of podcasts suggests there are plenty of folks wanting stuff to listen to, even if its a couple nerds talking about their thoughts on the tuna fish sandwich they just ate. Radio dramas seem like they could easily make a comeback for that sort of audience.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kibner posted:

Legit can't wait for this to come out.

I'm actually very disappointed with Pugmire, myself. The premise is amazing, the fluff is great, don't get me wrong.

The part where the mechanics are just 'play D&D 5E' is the part that pisses me off.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
I assumed it was because Eddy Webb works at Earplay now. I kickstarted their first one, Codename: Cygnus. It was... cheesy, but there's potential there.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, there's a metric shitton of radio play podcasts, including some that are just rebroadcasts of actual old radio shows

Like, this is just one list and given that it's nearly four months old it's probably obsolete at this point.

http://imgur.com/gallery/8zyHl

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Oh Jesus, that is exactly what this interactive audio drama thing made me think of.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

Oh Jesus, that is exactly what this interactive audio drama thing made me think of.

That actually started as an interactive audio drama

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

I know everyone knows it but I was just reading the Silver Ladder book and

Mage owns.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So the silver ladder are literally sov-cits.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Silver Ladder owns.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Mage owns.
No gods no masters? How about ALL GODS NO MASTERS :black101:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mage owns.

This is why the Silver Ladder are the good guys. The others can do useful stuff, but the Silver Ladder are the ones doing the most good out of all the splat groups

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, except for their tendency to assume the role of FIRST AMONG EQUALS, with an emphasis very heavily on 'first'. They have this bad tendency to default to tyranny when in doubt. (And only the Mysterium has more scorn for Normal Unawakened Person; at least the Ladder want to Awaken that guy.) But yes, declaring open war on the Exarchs so that all might become as gods is pretty cool!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mage owns.

Because that's only half a step from wanting to lull the entire human species into obedience to their fitter mage masters. Nope, nothing wrong with that at all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jhet posted:

Because that's only half a step from wanting to lull the entire human species into obedience to their fitter mage masters. Nope, nothing wrong with that at all.

In the WoD, you are always playing well-meaning (or not) jerks except for Changeling the Lost.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Mage owns.

This was me. It's not what I believe though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MalcolmSheppard posted:

About the SL, or about people?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I had a lot of fun citing that sidebar in some theeads-ago argument about which Order was libertarian or whatever. It was like oh, you believe taxation is theft? That's cute. I believe that anyone who would deny me immortality and omnipotence must be struck from time and space.

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Looks like someone's gonna be up against the force field when mass ascension comes.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 28, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Generally speaking when people start telling us their genuine beliefs in a Of Darkness book everyone starts to back away slowly.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Yawgmoth posted:

About the SL, or about people?

I don't like death, but I love life, and don't think life's as miserable as all that.

Anyway, what I try for with faction philosophies is for them to be engaging, functional ways of looking at the world that intelligent people in the characters' situations can get behind. I never liked designing for some intentional ideological blindness because if I can see the problems, the characters can. So in utterly rejecting complacency or any sense of peace with the Fallen World, the Ladder stays motivated, which I hope sets them apart from other "boss factions."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The Ladder is as compelling as it is because on one hand I obviously deserve to be the world's strongest wizard, and on the other hand the human race is clearly afflicted by loads of easily-avoided deprivation and misery that only exists to slightly convenience the corrupt oligarchs who rule over us from on high. Either way you look at it, the Ladder is in the right.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I didn't get to bed until like 6am because my back was bothering me. Reach Heaven through violence.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ferrinus posted:

The Ladder is as compelling as it is because on one hand I obviously deserve to be the world's strongest wizard, and on the other hand the human race is clearly afflicted by loads of easily-avoided deprivation and misery that only exists to slightly convenience the corrupt oligarchs who rule over us from on high. Either way you look at it, the Ladder is in the right.

Pretty much. It's telling that the people who react to that blurb with horror are the ones going "nobody could possibly actually believe that, they really just want it for themselves."

Well, yeah, no poo poo wanting it just for yourself would make you a monster. That it isn't that is the whole point.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pretty much. It's telling that the people who react to that blurb with horror are the ones going "nobody could possibly actually believe that, they really just want it for themselves."

Well, yeah, no poo poo wanting it just for yourself would make you a monster. That it isn't that is the whole point.

There are a lot of people who can't see or don't believe in the difference between thearchs and the Seers of the Throne. They're called Seers of the Throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I just want to play the Silver Ladder who is out for revenge against the linear concept of time because she's late to everything.

Or the guy with a vendetta against the fact that raw cookie dough is delicious but you're not supposed to eat it.

I mean that, the idea of Silver Ladders crusading against the false perception human beings experience a range of suffering from the enormous to the petty. How much unnecessary suffering has been created by lateness alone?

That's a good sidebar right there.