Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

zen death robot posted:

apple can finally report watchOS device sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
pretty sure that means you need iphone to pair your touchbar with

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Crackpot theory:
Jobs hired Tim with the intent that Apple will then die a slow death and improve his legacy.

Coming to fruition.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mr. Apollo posted:

mansfield was removed in 2012 when he retired, he came back a few months later after forstall left, and then was removed from the exec page again in 2013

checks out! makes u think

zen death robot posted:

lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

graph posted:

and if you didnt hear the touchbar runs watchos lol

what? how?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

very carefully

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Having the touch bar be its own little computer running watch OS doesn't seem like a bad idea per se, but it's sure a weird decision

I wonder what protocol it uses to communicate with the rest of the MacBook? Internal lightning port? Bluetooth?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder what protocol it uses to communicate with the rest of the MacBook? Internal lightning port? Bluetooth?

framebuffer over usb or smth

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i have an x1 carbon with an adaptive touch strip thingy for the function keys and all i can say is that i hope apple has a better coating than the one lenovo used and also better glue that doesn't discolor under the glass due to heat from the internals

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

graph posted:

framebuffer over usb or smth

yeah

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/10/15-hours-with-the-13-macbook-pro-and-how-apples-t1-bridges-arm-and-intel/

the main cpu/gpu render it but the t1 actually displays it

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 28, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It's a neat idea but mapping your fn and esc keys to the touchbar is really dumb and bad and seriously screws the people who use mac for development

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i wonder if the value of my late 2013 rMBP went up after the announcement lol

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

zen death robot posted:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

It's a neat idea but mapping your fn and esc keys to the touchbar is really dumb and bad and seriously screws the people who use mac for development

what's sad is that the answer is to connect a usb keyboard to your laptop, which in this context can be viewed as a bigass dongle

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

it's dongles all the way down

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
even if the apple watch bar turns out to be good and useful you have to choose between a) having the touch bar and no function/esc keys b) having function/esc keys and having to reach awkwardly across your desk for anything on the touch bar

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

zen death robot posted:

the new macbooks are a mess

I have to agree. I was holding off getting a new laptop based on these, but I can't justify the cost when I can get a better machine (XPS) for much cheaper.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

what the gently caress is up with the low-spec pro without the touch bar. it's basically just to get people to go one model up, isn't it?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

SO DEMANDING posted:

what the gently caress is up with the low-spec pro without the touch bar. it's basically just to get people to go one model up, isn't it?

it does seem a lot like they were doubting themselves

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
you can max out the components on the non-touch version but apparently some of the other internals are shittier anyway, much like the 32gb iPhone 7 is poo poo compared to the 64gb version

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

in what way? i do ios development, and even if i used a laptop for it (which i don't, because i want a screen bigger than 15") i don't see this touchbar affecting me at all

and it looks like the Escape key is almost always there. the only times it seems to go away are when you wouldn't need it anyway.

for command line stuff it seems like it might be kinda annoying to have to hit a non-key Escape key, but i almost never use vim inside a terminal window and use macvim instead. macvim opens its own window, and while you can use vim controls in it, it also supports the usual OS X stuff like Cmd-S for saving, Cmd-Q for quitting, etc.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

are the people whinging about vim the same ones who claim they absolutely need 32/64 gigs of ram in a laptop?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i could see it being okay if your environment provides buttons for the bar, but in e.g. eclipse where i spend most of my workday and which will never in a million years support it, it'll just be a waste since a bunch of hotkeys are f-keys and it'll be real hard to touch-type them

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

qirex posted:

are the people whinging about vim the same ones who claim they absolutely need 32/64 gigs of ram in a laptop?

no i can't imagine i've ever really needed more than 4 gb of ram on any computer

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qirex posted:

I'm loving stoked about the potential of touchbar with vim emacs
like who actually uses escape in vim anyhow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nobody of any consequence uses macs for development

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i think the reports are actually true and apple execs really are huffing their own farts about ipads pro literally being a replacement for general purpose computers

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

thanks timb

thimb

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

a 2Ghz processor in a "pro" computer in late 2016. courageous

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Scott Forstall posted:

thanks timb

thimb

not worth it even if the top amount is before savings.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
it's job is to replace mrs. forstall's 2012 mba and at that measure, its p. sweet for $900.

also, rule 36. maybe next time don't be a poor?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
poor people are bad w/ money which is why they buy mac books

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
me: laffing at shaggar
shaggar: laffing all the way to a free Winders X Creator's Update with MS Paint for Workgroups

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Haha haha the new laptop lmao also lol at the idiots defending that garbage. It's like when IBM was on its way to the slaughterhouse in the 90s yet people said it was amazing.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Scott Forstall posted:

thanks timb

thimb

a dual-core processor

an integrated Intel GPU

maxes out at less RAM than my 2011 iMac's max capacity (for battery reasons, according to Phillip K Schiller)

in a "pro" computer in 2016

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Linguica posted:

i think the reports are actually true and apple execs really are huffing their own farts about ipads pro literally being a replacement for general purpose computers

didnt someone itf workplace go iOS (literally) last week

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

i own an apple watch i'm the sales figure

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Linguica posted:

tim cook supposedly mostly uses an ipad for his day-to-day business stuff

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

bone app the teeth posted:

i own an apple watch i'm the sales figure

I bought the S0 Rose Gold Edition so that data point is me.

Doc Block posted:

tim cook supposedly mostly uses an ipad for his day-to-day business stuff

There's no real reason you can't, businesses just can't conceive of not using spreadsheets and word processing docs for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Quote is not edit!

• Locked thread