Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

NaanViolence posted:

I have all the relevant breakdown SBs for Agrias, Faris, and Fran. I thought there was a cap on breaking stats. Would adding Vaan to those three really make a difference?

EDIT: Yiffie is a ninja. Ninja magic is ghetto and I don't like it.

It's pretty satisfying getting hit for 150 damage in a U++ fight.

Debuff cap is around 65-70% iirc. Resistant bosses only half half the percentage applied (i.e. 15% instead of 30% for full break), so yeah multiple stacks will probably make a small difference. The difference may be getting hit for 200 instead of 400 at that stage though, so you need to figure out if that much debuff is worth it if it's eating into your DPS. Stacking DEF / RES buffs obviously goes some way in alleviating this, which is why Vaan's BSB is so good for physical party mitigation (most ultimate level bosses spam magic past the first two rounds or so).

Also ninja magic rules, don't be a scrub :(

e: breaks are multiplicative based on target statst as well, so you get diminishing returns

i.e. instead of

Full Break (15%) + Power Breakdown (20%) + Cleansing Strike (25%) = 60% break

think of it as

Full break (0.85) * Power Breakdown (0.8) * Cleansing strike (0.75) = 0.51, or the boss' attack is reduced by 49%, so you have some wiggle room to stack more mitigation.

I think that's how it works.

Inge fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I'm at this weird point where I have a nicely kitted out A-team with a physical USB, SSB and BSB, a magical SSB and a healing SSB, but it seems too early to get into realm synergy. So I'm not feeling a great need to pull for more items. I have about 130 mythril saved up, wondering what to spend it on. I did pull on the debuff banner because it was only 25 mythril, though.

Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking I'll wait a bit for stuff that's good value, but I'm not really sure what. I'm hearing Onion Knight will be good, and there's going to be something called an "OSBFest"?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inge posted:

Also ninja magic rules, don't be a scrub :(

Thanks for the lengthy reply! Gotta quibble a bit, though: Global FFRK is a single player non-competitive nostalgia game. It's impossible to be a scrub. I use ninja magic for those rare times it really shines, but otherwise I want mages in my mage party. I love ninjas, just not for magical purposes.

I also have a number of fine magical mage SBs, but no magic SBs for ninjas so...

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

NaanViolence posted:

Thanks for the lengthy reply! Gotta quibble a bit, though: Global FFRK is a single player non-competitive nostalgia game. It's impossible to be a scrub. I use ninja magic for those rare times it really shines, but otherwise I want mages in my mage party. I love ninjas, just not for magical purposes.

I also have a number of fine magical mage SBs, but no magic SBs for ninjas so...

I hear that.

It's just that ninja magic is so bizarrely ludicrous in FF, I can't help but not love it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The thing with Ark Blast is:

1) Mag/Def is, as of right now in JP, a wholly unique debuff. It will stack with literally any other breakdown you bring.
1a) The burst commands make it so that you don't have to bring along Mag or Def breakdowns, which is basically ideal as a phys team against a mage boss but it's pretty great regardless.
2) Vaan isn't a primary support (he only has support 4*), he's a celerity/combat/thief character who happens to have a breakdown BSB. If you're bringing along Faris and Fran you're missing out on damage, they are primarily support characters, while Vaan is one of those lucky people who can get 5 hits with Thief's Revenge (albeit only after he's broken his third level cap). Faris is another of those people, but that's just because she's one of the best supports in the game. :v:
3) Ark Blast's opener is five hefty hits, it does more actual damage than most support SSB/BSBs.

It's real good.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 28, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NaanViolence posted:

Magic SBs for Ninjas won't exist anyway until we get Fujin in about 4 months, who more or less ties with Edge for best Ninja and is probably top 10 in Mages.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're right, it's good. I simply have multiple BSBs that are in the same neighborhood in terms of damage and utility, whereas I don't have a single non-healer medica.

I generally run Faris and Ramza for support. I don't feel like I lose any DPS because with Shout and Mug Bloodlust active, Faris hits like a train.

Ramza is the weak link, if anything, because he is basically a shout bot. I am considering pulling on the first choice banner just to grab Grand Armor so he becomes less one-dimensional. If my current hot streak continues I'll pull his burst next chance I get as well.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Maelstrom's Bolt is also a really weak medica; it heals 25% of the party's health, as opposed to 40% from Tailwind, Clear Tranquil, or Blowback.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Yeah, for mage meta use it just flat out loses to Clear Tranquil. 40% vs. 25%, instant cast vs. not.

And Ninja magic is really goddamn strong, provided proper investment and use. You need enough to hit the magic softcap for it (370 iirc, post buffs), use a +30% ninja damage RM, and hit a weakness and/or use the 4* abilities. The damage numbers feel lower at first, since you're probably gonna hit for about 6-7k tops. But when you factor in the significantly faster cast speed, you're actually making GBS threads out damage at an impressive rate.

For this reason Yuffie has been pretty integral to my mage meta teams when she can hit a weakness, or sleep something. As an added bonus the instant cast medica means that her DPS stream isn't impacted either.

(edit) Big con for Clear Tranquil of course is that I don't think it is available outside lucky draw banners anymore. I don't think it repeats on any banner anytime soon.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 28, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Attestant posted:

(edit) Big con for Clear Tranquil of course is that I don't think it is available outside lucky draw banners anymore. I don't think it repeats on any banner anytime soon.

In fact, unless there's a VII realm lucky draw, it won't appear period; Yuffie doesn't have any 5* abilities for Nightmare access.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ApplesandOranges posted:

In fact, unless there's a VII realm lucky draw, it won't appear period; Yuffie doesn't have any 5* abilities for Nightmare access.

Could show up on the more curated lucky draw lists, or global only things like dungeon update ones.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Ashe's BSB on dollar pull, Vann's on the 11.
Is Yoichi bow only good lightning imperil or are there others? I am covered for FF12 synergy.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Beat the Ultimates in the FFII event. The Emperor and Lamia Queen were more annoying than dangerous. It took forever to whittle the Queen down, though, with a mage heavy team. I have only two synergy items for FFII so I can't imagine CM-ing that one.

I did hear horror stories about the Ult++ fight, and it was definitely a tough fight even using holy attacks. I got a battle where the knights used their AoE physical more often than the insane crazy-go-nuts physical and was able to beat it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bell_ posted:

Ashe's BSB on dollar pull, Vann's on the 11.
Is Yoichi bow only good lightning imperil or are there others? I am covered for FF12 synergy.

At the moment your only other options are on Desch or Barret, but Lightning's future BSB2 has an imperil lightning baked in, if memory serves.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

NaanViolence posted:

Ashe's Stoneblade is amazing because it's a medica on a mage. If you want to go mage meta with a non-healer medica then it's either her or OK. There's nobody else.

Surprised to see people here are disappointed to draw it. I already have Faris's BSB so I would have preferred to pull Stoneblade for my dollar draw instead of the Orichalcum Dirk I pulled.

I'm not unhappy to get Stoneblade in a vacuum, but going 2/22 would be a lot easier to swallow if I had gotten one of the BSBs.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I only have enough mythril right now, due to the larsa event, to do one x11 pull. Both ff2 banners really look fantastic and Onion knight is amazing, but so is loving everyhing else that's coming! I have absolutely no idea what to do. I need ff2 synergy, though I finished the event already. I also need ff3 synergy pretty muh just as bad.

I know I should wait in onion knight, but man these ff2 banners look really nice.

Edit: Oh yeah, and orichalcum dirk in ffxii. poo poo man, this is tough.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 28, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sprite141 posted:

I only have enough mythril right now, due to the larsa event, to do one x11 pull. Both ff2 banners really look fantastic and Onion knight is amazing, but so is loving everyhing else that's coming! I have absolutely no idea what to do. I need ff2 synergy, though I finished the event already. I also need ff3 synergy pretty muh just as bad.

I know I should wait in onion knight, but man these ff2 banners look really nice.

Edit: Oh yeah, and orichalcum dirk in ffxii. poo poo man, this is tough.

Onion Knight 1 is big enough that it warps perception of all banners around it. Out of the FF2 banners, though, aside from Firion and Maria's BSBs, nothing is a real 100% takehome winner; chances are far higher you'll get a consolation prize. Larsa banners and Tidus OSB are a bit harder to hold off on, but the Larsa banners are especially worth skipping if you have one of the bursts in question, as their biggest draw is the Vaan/Ashe double-tap.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

At the moment your only other options are on Desch or Barret, but Lightning's future BSB2 has an imperil lightning baked in, if memory serves.

Desch is enthunder not imperil. (Unless he has both? Anyway that SB is bad.)

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

He gets an Imperil ssb on OK 2

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

I don't think Desch's Imperil is out yet. But whether it's already been released or not, it's going to be on banner 2 of the next III event, along with his Enthunder.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Right, Desch's imperil is coming with the Onion Knight banners; it's a SSB, Lightning/NE with a +30% selfish faith and imperil, six random hits.

So, you know. Traditional Desch Quality. (aka it's bad)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'm in serious need of FFXII gear that isn't just reforged 4*+++ stuff.

Instead I get more FFVI gear. And it's not even Celes or Terra gear!

Maybe the Holy Rod is alright for white mages on the offense.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I mean, the reforged ffxii 4* poo poo is top quality. I just looked it up earlier and that poo poo pushes like 190+ with synergy. But that only counts as a stat stick.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sprite141 posted:

I mean, the reforged ffxii 4* poo poo is top quality. I just looked it up earlier and that poo poo pushes like 190+ with synergy. But that only counts as a stat stick.

No foolin', a Hammerhead +++ with synergy is stronger than the Orichalcum Dirk by at least 10 or 20 ATK.

Don't discount your reforged 4*s.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yeah, upon further inspection, the ATK difference between Lohengrin (no SB 5*) and Diamond Sword+++ is one point (200 vs 199). This Platinum Dagger +++ has one more ATK point than Fran's old rear end Loxley Bow.

Comparing these two FFXII spears I have, the Trident+++ has 198 ATK compared to the natural 5* Gungnir's 193 ATK, welp. And Trident gives a boost in ice damage whereas the other gives a boost in fire damage, which makes the Trident a bit better since a dragoon can use Ice Jump along with spellbladers using their stuff.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 28, 2016

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

KataraniSword posted:

No foolin', a Hammerhead +++ with synergy is stronger than the Orichalcum Dirk by at least 10 or 20 ATK.

Don't discount your reforged 4*s.

Too bad it will literally bankrupt you. I think the lovely 4* daggers from 2 and 4 reach like 180ish attack, which is peerfect as I need daggers in thise realms. The only thing I don't want to reforge is the hayate bow, as I have better non-ranged options.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

are there any 4* FFXII mage weapons I've been missing? I've got a 3*++ reforged (Power Rod, 154 MAG with synergy) that I'm using right now with Ashe and her new BSB, but I lack anything stronger. Have I just missed any 4*? My melee synergy is pretty great (two defenders, 6* zwill crossblade, aldebaren, +++ hammerhead, +++ plat dagger, 5* diamond sword...) but without a top-tier (or even 4*+++) offensive or healing relic I feel like my RS is flawed.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Pander posted:

are there any 4* FFXII mage weapons I've been missing? I've got a 3*++ reforged (Power Rod, 154 MAG with synergy) that I'm using right now with Ashe and her new BSB, but I lack anything stronger. Have I just missed any 4*? My melee synergy is pretty great (two defenders, 6* zwill crossblade, aldebaren, +++ hammerhead, +++ plat dagger, 5* diamond sword...) but without a top-tier (or even 4*+++) offensive or healing relic I feel like my RS is flawed.

I have a reforged Empyrean Rod that has 199 MAG and 100 MND. It's the only XII 4* mage weapon I've seen regularly.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
These posts still make the lack of non-5* armor options for FF12 sting even more than it already does ha ha.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm thinking I may do a 11 pull on the World of Final Fantasy banner depending on what it ends up looking like for us once it hits. The new stuff looks pretty neat to me and if we get Yuna's SSB2 on there that would be baller. Otherwise I'll do that Debuff Lucky I haven't done yet maybe.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Empyrean Rod is the XII 4* Rod. I only ever got one, and it's the only 4* XII Mage weapon.

Something the official site is good for, no 4* armors or staves either:

https://ffrkstrategy.gamematome.jp/game/951/wiki/Equipment_Rarity%204_FF%20XII

It sucks if you didn't have a Mage Sword for Ashe before, since the next time one appears isn't the Vayne event, but whatever Banner her OSB is on in the second OSB fest. Onion Knight, Refia and Ingus' have this problem too. Getting their BSBs would be nice but it'd be weird still not having any weapons for them to use.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Vaan is one of those lucky people who can get 5 hits with Thief's Revenge (albeit only after he's broken his third level cap)

I thought everyone that can equip it can get 5 hits with Thief's Revenge at level 80 except Tyro and Vaan.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

pichupal posted:

Empyrean Rod is the XII 4* Rod. I only ever got one, and it's the only 4* XII Mage weapon.

Something the official site is good for, no 4* armors or staves either:

https://ffrkstrategy.gamematome.jp/game/951/wiki/Equipment_Rarity%204_FF%20XII

Well I apparently have all that 4* gear for XII. My Hammerhead is stuck at + while I've yet to see a second Sledgehammer, but everything else I have a reforged copy of. I guess FFXII gear in general is in short supply. Platinum Shield is the only piece of FFXII armor I have.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Twelve by Pies posted:

I thought everyone that can equip it can get 5 hits with Thief's Revenge at level 80 except Tyro and Vaan.

Vaan can get 5 hits with realm synergy or at level 80 by using burst mode I think. Of course he can also get 5 hits by using a MC3, which if you have his burst is probably a thing you want to do anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Right, Desch's imperil is coming with the Onion Knight banners; it's a SSB, Lightning/NE with a +30% selfish faith and imperil, six random hits.

So, you know. Traditional Desch Quality. (aka it's bad)

It's better than Fran's version, who is also random as well, since it actually has an additional effect with the self-Faith. It synergizes better with Ashe too since they're both mages.

Barret's is the best in a vacuum since it's AoE, but I'm not sure I'd bring a Support just for Imperil unless I was really building a strong Lightning team.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Spent a moment bruteforcing the White Nightmare 2, before I forget about it and have to wait a month. Supposedly this fight has mechanics or something?

Ninja-magic strikes again, thanks to Tyro!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Well poo poo. And I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. I had a tough time against the mote dungeon and decided I needed some mage synergy. So I used my one 11 pull and got gordon's flame shield, firion's ssb sword and a second ffviii metal knuckle.

I guess I can run both powerchain/full charge zell and meteor mash/lifebane raijin now. Yet again the game rewards my idea of lifebane on one monk in every realm. I'll admit I was actually secretly hoping for Joseph's fist as it was a pretty drat solid soulbreak, but i guess he can go be forgotten now that Guy exists.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh right, I'm a little late but if people are still doing the II ultimates or the Mote Dungeon I've got a Maria BSB RW set up with 481 MAG in synergy. Code is uPbF.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Another day, another pull JPN side, on WoFF banner. Got Lann's BSB, which is nice, I suppose. But I was hoping for multiples on this one, too. Man, the multiple pulls in JPN early on spoiled the crap out of me.

A bit off-topic, but has anyone played World of Final Fantasy yet? I'm on the fence right now about it. It looks like it oozes charm, but I wonder if that charm becomes grating later on.

Kemix posted:

Well look at that, one of the thongs I wanted from the banner. Wanted Minwu's BSB, but Maria's BSB's good too

Saving for posterity. :D

FeralWraith fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I decided to do an 11-pull on FF2 Banner 2 in an attempt at more good poo poo.

Well look at that, one of the thongs I wanted from the banner. Wanted Minwu's BSB, but Maria's BSB's good too

• Locked thread