Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SunAndSpring posted:

Oblivion has pretty fun quests, while Skyrim just doesn't have that much good quests in it.

I sure hope that Bethesda asks Arkane how to make fun melee combat next time around because they certainly need help.

plus it has one of the best expansions for any game ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Shivering Isles is easily the best TES after Morrowind.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The only main TES game that I've never, ever seen anyone advocate as their favorite is Arena.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the super special skyrim edition reminds me that with each game bethesda gets progressively worse. Fallout 4 is such poo poo compared to Skyrim. Also the special edition runs really well.

Skyrim is easily better than Oblivion. Cyrodil is a big ugly level-scaled nightmare with lovely empty procedurally generated dungeons and a literally broken combat system. The reason the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood questlines are remembered so fondly is because there's very little combat or dungeoneering in either.

Fallout 4 also improved on Fallout 3 in every way I can think (while still being a huge step back from New Vegas) but this may not be the thread for it.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I solved my black screen problem, for anyone else who might be experiencing similar issues, check to make sure the game is actually using your video card...

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

if oblivion had some more effort put into the landscape (maybe cut down on world size a bit because its mostly garbage empty space) and didn't have completely hosed level scaling, it would be looked upon as better than skyrim.

even with OOO or maskars oblivion still isn't good though so :shrug:

I played oblivion to ~100% last year, every faction, every dlc, everything except a handful of generic quests (I had a checklist) and while some quests were amazing, I can't say it was a good game. Skyrim despite all of its flaws just felt more fun.

just play morrowind every day of every year forever

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I know it will never happen, but I really, really wish Bethesda would do something to make combat in their gamebryo games more... better

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Oblivion will always have a special place in my heart. It was my first full experience with a TES game and it blew my mind back in high school. I couldn't believe how detailed and huge the world was and the quests where actually interesting. I remember trying Morrowind when I was even younger but it was just too complicated for me at the time and I bounced off of it.

I can't really imagine playing Oblviion now because they have iterated so well on the series and made a lot of QoL improvements. But at the time Oblivion felt like a massive step forward for RPGs and was miles ahead of anything else at the time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

The only main TES game that I've never, ever seen anyone advocate as their favorite is Arena.

Arena is so different it might as well be a separate series.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Popete posted:

I can't really imagine playing Oblviion now because they have iterated so well on the series and made a lot of QoL improvements. But at the time Oblivion felt like a massive step forward for RPGs and was miles ahead of anything else at the time.

I played it with an overhaul mod (that didn't really change much besides the scaling and progression really) recently and I thought it still held up pretty well, minus the potato-head people.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Anybody sad about SkyUI should click here. Goon "Turk" has some nice news for you!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Someone quoted my post where I said that SkyUI would be available for SE within a month and told me I don't know what I'm talking about, but come on, it's the most popular mod out there. Someone will make it work.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

TBH I never got what was so much better about skyui than the default one. Neither of them is particularly good, so who cares? Neither of them are particularly bad either. You just needed skyui for a bunch of other mods, and if that requirement wasn't there I probably never would have bothered with it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It seems that the PS4 mod scene is much smaller and severely hamstrung by Sony which sucks. Really wanted Live another Life but it looks like he never made it for PS4 -- just Xbone. I didn't think it contained any actual new assets but here we are

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

Really wanted Live another Life but it looks like he never made it for PS4 -- just Xbone. I didn't think it contained any actual new assets but here we are
The "new assets" thing is bit misleading. PS4 mods are limited to only a plugin.
So you can't bundle meshes, textures, scripts, sounds, UI files, etc, with it. Even if your mod only edits existing vanilla scripts (and so technically wouldn't be adding any new file), that's still something you bundle in an archive accompanying a plugin.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

TBH I never got what was so much better about skyui than the default one. Neither of them is particularly good, so who cares? Neither of them are particularly bad either. You just needed skyui for a bunch of other mods, and if that requirement wasn't there I probably never would have bothered with it.

what the gently caress

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nina posted:

Fallout is another kalpa They don't. That was just a goofy article based on an easter egg in Fallout.

Hang on, what?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Raygereio posted:

The "new assets" thing is bit misleading. PS4 mods are limited to only a plugin.
So you can't bundle meshes, textures, scripts, sounds, UI files, etc, with it. Even if your mod only edits existing vanilla scripts (and so technically wouldn't be adding any new file), that's still something you bundle in an archive accompanying a plugin.

That sounds dumb and I don't like it

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hang on, what?

There's a Nirnroot hidden in FO4. http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-and-skyrim-might-be-in-the-same-universe-1745249353

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's... incredibly underwhelming.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

That sounds dumb and I don't like it
Personally I still think it's Sony being silly over their proprietary file formats. Basically if you wanted to use mods and you could have chosen which version of the game to get, you probably should not have gone for the PS4 one.

That said, while pretty much all of the cool mods that the cool kids are using are out of your reach, you can still use minor edits to improve your game. For example don't like Dawnguard's vampire attacks? Disable them. Want more dragons to fight? Make the time the game waits in between spawning dragons shorter.
Off course without a PC version of the game, you're still stuck hoping some kind PC user make that mod for you. Yeah, the whole thing is pretty dumb.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are there any decent thief and DB guild revamps in Skyrim that make the questlines and locations a little more convenient? Romping all over the place for fence quests is a pain in the arse I'd rather not commit to.

jfc, of course that's one of Patricia's articles.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Im playing it even without skyUI because I never found the original one to be that egregious

its not great but its passable

its been so long its like a new game almost. def glad "Alternate Start" was a day 1 mod tho.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Crash during character creation.

TES. TES never changes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

That's like someone saying that Zybourne Clock would have taken place in the same universe as Fallout because Johnny's corpse is in New Vegas. Or all of the cross-franchise easter eggs in every early FPS. :psyduck:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Schubalts posted:

That's like someone saying that Zybourne Clock would have taken place in the same universe as Fallout because Johnny's corpse is in New Vegas. Or all of the cross-franchise easter eggs in every early FPS. :psyduck:

zyborne clock is an important part of fallout canon.

also commander keen was murdered in between doom 1 and 2

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
There's probably an article out there about those other examples, they poo poo these kinda click bait articles out constantly.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Arivia posted:

Arena is so different it might as well be a separate series.

I disagree, honestly. I've been playing each Elder Scrolls since release, and I mean, there IS a huge break in tech and scope between Daggerfall and Morrowind, but honestly, I think you can see the intent/progression between the titles is pretty clear.

Arena is closer to Skyrim then, say.... Fallout 3 is to Fallout 2. :kiddo:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
lol, played Skyrim Special Edition and it is about as trash as I expected. Audio is noticeably compressed to all hell, the textures have all been shoddily upscaled to 4k, the lighting system is terrible and badly optimized, and more. I suppose modders will yet again have to bail Bethesda's lazy rear end out.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I miss wearable cloaks already.

Also, the environment looks great, but the people look rather dated, especially with the new environment as a backdrop.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Raygereio posted:

Personally I still think it's Sony being silly over their proprietary file formats. Basically if you wanted to use mods and you could have chosen which version of the game to get, you probably should not have gone for the PS4 one.

That said, while pretty much all of the cool mods that the cool kids are using are out of your reach, you can still use minor edits to improve your game. For example don't like Dawnguard's vampire attacks? Disable them. Want more dragons to fight? Make the time the game waits in between spawning dragons shorter.
Off course without a PC version of the game, you're still stuck hoping some kind PC user make that mod for you. Yeah, the whole thing is pretty dumb.

It looks like none of the Arth mods have been ported over to PS4. Was hoping for the patches at least. What a terrible choice I've made!

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 28, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

lol, played Skyrim Special Edition and it is about as trash as I expected. Audio is noticeably compressed to all hell, the textures have all been shoddily upscaled to 4k, the lighting system is terrible and badly optimized, and more. I suppose modders will yet again have to bail Bethesda's lazy rear end out.

reopen council club

omg chael crash posted:

It looks like none of the Arth mods have been port over. Was hoping for the patches at least. What a terrible choice I've made!

??? arthmoors mods are some of the only things that are ported

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

reopen council club

??? arthmoors mods are some of the only things that are ported

I meant to PS4, sorry

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

I miss wearable cloaks already.

Also, the environment looks great, but the people look rather dated, especially with the new environment as a backdrop.

It certainly looks like the PC/NPC poly counts haven't been upped.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Game looks mostly better in some environments. The lack of several mods doesn't bother me as much; it always takes so long for me to go through the lists and install everything that I didn't even want to bother last time I got the urge. From what I've read, they went about things as lazily as possible? Just upscaling textures and compressing the hell out of the audio and who knows what else.

I'm glad it was free is what I'm saying.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Orv posted:

So, better (arguably) skin textures,
Its not arguable, they finally got rid of the loving nose aliasing

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

if oblivion had some more effort put into the landscape (maybe cut down on world size a bit because its mostly garbage empty space) and didn't have completely hosed level scaling, it would be looked upon as better than skyrim.

even with OOO or maskars oblivion still isn't good though so :shrug:

I played oblivion to ~100% last year, every faction, every dlc, everything except a handful of generic quests (I had a checklist) and while some quests were amazing, I can't say it was a good game. Skyrim despite all of its flaws just felt more fun.

just play morrowind every day of every year forever

So I have that rarest of things in this day and age, a (mostly) functional FCOM install. And y'know what? Oblivion's pretty good if you stuff it full of items and monsters with FCOM, get all the Unique Landscapes and Better Cities mods, and use a magicka mod like Supreme Magicka to make magic pretty deadly since the Francesco's components of FCOM makes weapons very lethal. Not at the level of Morrowind obviously, but it's better than Skyrim I think.

Without spending like 10 hours of your life wrangling the mods though I agree, it's not a very good game.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

the audio compression is weird because I'm pretty sure the base game's sounded better.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Man Whore posted:

Its not arguable, they finally got rid of the loving nose aliasing

That's good, but now it looks like everyone's pores are exploding, which is weird looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Orv posted:

That's good, but now it looks like everyone's pores are exploding, which is weird looking.
Its hard to afford good skincare in the harsh land of skyrim