Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Weird issue. This morning 2 of my complications are gone. I can put NEW ones in there and they show up, but if I try to put the old ones back (Dark Sky and Hue) it's just blank.
I even rebooted my phone.

On newest WatchOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
When in doubt un-pair and re-pair. It'll back up your watch then restore.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Weird issue. This morning 2 of my complications are gone. I can put NEW ones in there and they show up, but if I try to put the old ones back (Dark Sky and Hue) it's just blank.
I even rebooted my phone.

On newest WatchOS.

Go to the watch app on your phone and uninstall/reinstall the app on the watch. Happened with a complication on my wife's phone and that fixed it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Go to the watch app on your phone and uninstall/reinstall the app on the watch. Happened with a complication on my wife's phone and that fixed it.

Yeah no I figured it out. Thanks, that was more or less it. Somehow my watch face complications was STILL listing them, but they had been turned off, I guess in the update somehow.

Thanks all :)

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The issue is that if you're just doing standard walking it's not constantly measuring your heart rate

Even when using "Outdoor Walk" in the Workout app? Weird.

Makes sense for the runs, though. I use a 3rd party trainer app that throws the timer over to the watch. But 3rd parties can't access/trigger the heart monitor.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Even when using "Outdoor Walk" in the Workout app? Weird.

Makes sense for the runs, though. I use a 3rd party trainer app that throws the timer over to the watch. But 3rd parties can't access/trigger the heart monitor.

My bad, thought you meant just ambient exercise tracking. Nah, any tracked exercise should be measuring full time. Mine seems to track outdoor walks fine. Curious.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

My bad, thought you meant just ambient exercise tracking. Nah, any tracked exercise should be measuring full time. Mine seems to track outdoor walks fine. Curious.
Gotcha. Well, I got 9 out of 10 min on my bike ride to work. So perhaps the watch was just mis-calibrated. Hopefully the mid-day run is as productive.

I don't know why I care... the exercise is helping, my cardiovascular health is improving... I just want my OCD feel goods from my wrist computer.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I'm about to get my watch. Wasn't there a way to calibrate the fitness tracker? Something about walking a mile? Is there a guide you could give me?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'm about to get my watch. Wasn't there a way to calibrate the fitness tracker? Something about walking a mile? Is there a guide you could give me?

In the watch app, Privacy - Motion & Fitness - Reset Calibration Data. Then, you'll want to log a walking workout for at least 20 minutes (and walk, of course!) I believe you'll get a tap w/ no notification once it's calibrated.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Thank you!

Edit: me being paranoid in lieu of recent discussion: brisk walk? Literally just normal walk? Sorry!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

rear end Catchcum posted:

The "super official calibration procedure" boils down to "do a run/walk workout outside with your phone present so the watch can estimate your stride."

It should continue to adjust thereafter, so it's not super critical or anything.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ah ok thanks.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Gunder posted:

I bought an S1 a few weeks back. It was getting around the 18 hours of battery life that Apple claims. Then I updated it to 3.1 a couple of days ago and since then my battery life has shot through the roof. Just get an S1.

Sold. Got one yesterday and it's doing well so far. Seems like ~1% per hour right now, but it's only been off the charger for 3 hours. Liking it a lot more than my Pebble Time

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
The recalibration fixed it. I got credit for my exercise in an amount that seemed reasonable. Basically the workout got credited, but the warmup and cool down times didn't. If it's based on movement and heart rate, that makes sense.

SO! If you think your rings aren't filling correctly, recalibrate your movement settings for the watch!

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Where's the setting to reverse the scroll direction of the crown? I can't find it anywhere.

edit: also this battery life is significantly better than I remember hearing about shortly after original launch. 7.5 hours off the charger and I'm at 79%

dc3k fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 29, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This update is killer for battery life (looking at 24 hours and still above 50%), but it seems to have hosed up a lot of my apps.

SleepCycle++ wasn't adding data to the Health app until I turned off and back on the Report Data setting in the Phone app. Steps were still recording, but that's Apple stuff so I would expect that to remain.

What really bugs me is that HomeKit on the watch isn't work. My Hue watch app works, but the HomeKit one is constantly unresponsive. Note that on my phone and iPad the HomeKit stuff works no problem: it's just the HomeKit app that is not responding. I can't even see a HomeKit app when looking at my apps on the Watch's iPhone app because I wanted to try uninstalling and reinstalling.

EDIT: Checking the HomeKit app for the first time in a few days, and now it works and show the lights that are on, but the app still says my accessories aren't responding :psyduck:

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 29, 2016

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
The battery amazing. My S2 is currently at 70% with two hours of usage and 25h of standby according to the watch app. I'm running a pretty minimalistic watch face. I don't know how much that helps.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Kristneder posted:

The battery amazing. My S2 is currently at 70% with two hours of usage and 25h of standby according to the watch app. I'm running a pretty minimalistic watch face. I don't know how much that helps.

Yep. I just checked my S2, it is at 80% and usage says
Usage: 2 Hours, 12 Minutes
Standby: 16 Hours, 18 Minutes

I'm going to run an experiment and not charge my watch and see how long it goes for, feels like 3 days or so.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

36 hours; 45% :stare:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Wait what series are you again?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

S1

Note that it's been a relatively light usage day

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Here's my anecdote: it's 5:15p. I've been up since 8a, so just past 9 hours. I just finished my second workout for the day and I'm at 75% battery.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
On top of my normal usage, did a 3 hour bike ride yesterday with Strava running the HRM.

Killed my phone battery with GPS and music, but I went to bed with the S2 above 50%

I think I can realistically travel overnight without worrying about a charger and that's what I wanted from the start.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

I'm at about 36 hours and 50% right now.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

rage-saq posted:

Yep. I just checked my S2, it is at 80% and usage says
Usage: 2 Hours, 12 Minutes
Standby: 16 Hours, 18 Minutes

I'm going to run an experiment and not charge my watch and see how long it goes for, feels like 3 days or so.

S2 WatchOS 3.1 battery log update!
Battery Level: 62%
Usage: 3 hours, 11 minutes
Standby: 1 day, 8 Hours
Took it off the charger Friday morning at 7:30am, used it normally since then, took it off before bed but didn't put it on the charger.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It might be viable as a sleep tracker now, but ehhh I'm still more comfortable just throwing that bad boy on the charger every night and not worrying about it.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I think I've discovered the issue on my watch - it only seems to drain quickly at work. Could it be a wifi thing maybe? I'm rarely not close to my phone but that's all I can think of, we have two connections at work and both can be spotty so I'm thinking maybe it's just struggling to maintain a wifi signal?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Do third-party developers have access to haptic feedback settings on the watch?

The thing is like 80% of the way to being an absolutely essential bit of kit for motorcycles (as an alternative to mounting aphone for gps and having the battery drain), but it needs different types of pulses for left and right turns and also a bit more delay before the alert.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the app store for this, so I'm wondering if the watchOS haptic settings can even be overridden or if it's hardcoded.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

tirinal posted:

Do third-party developers have access to haptic feedback settings on the watch?

The thing is like 80% of the way to being an absolutely essential bit of kit for motorcycles (as an alternative to mounting aphone for gps and having the battery drain), but it needs different types of pulses for left and right turns and also a bit more delay before the alert.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the app store for this, so I'm wondering if the watchOS haptic settings can even be overridden or if it's hardcoded.

Maps navigation already has unique left and right turn patterns. I find they work very well when driving a car, but the haptics are impossible to feel against the vibrations of my motorcycle bars.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Maps navigation already has unique left and right turn patterns. I find they work very well when driving a car, but the haptics are impossible to feel against the vibrations of my motorcycle bars.

Huh. I can feel it fine on the bike, but apparently not enough to distinguish the type of turn.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I actually tried the turn-by-turn GPS stuff last night without really meaning to. I started paying attention to the timing of the haptic feedback after a few turns; to me, it's like a "put your turn signal on right about now" notification. I could see it not being early enough if you aren't anticipating an upcoming turn, but I tend to glance at my (phone's) screen to get an idea of how close an upcoming turn is.

Didn't realize it distinguished the turn direction in the feedback, though... I didn't notice. How's that work? Hopefully it's not silly like left = X pings, right = X+1 pings... because that seems like too much trouble to pay attention to.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 30, 2016

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

tirinal posted:

Huh. I can feel it fine on the bike, but apparently not enough to distinguish the type of turn.

Maybe it's just my buzzy single, then.

It works pretty well for me as a turn list, though. I just roll the crown at stoplights and get my next few directions in mind.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

rage-saq posted:

S2 WatchOS 3.1 battery log update!
Battery Level: 62%
Usage: 3 hours, 11 minutes
Standby: 1 day, 8 Hours
Took it off the charger Friday morning at 7:30am, used it normally since then, took it off before bed but didn't put it on the charger.

Watch still going strong on day 3! I think I will have to put my watch on the charger tonight.

Battery Level: 36%
Usage: 4 Hours, 34 minutes
Standby: 2 days, 4 hours

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

rage-saq posted:

Watch still going strong on day 3! I think I will have to put my watch on the charger tonight.

The hell, do you use it for anything? s1/2?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

rage-saq posted:

In the spirit of trying this out, I did not charge my watch last night but I DID take it off. This morning I had to power it on. Does it power off if off-wrist for too long?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The hell, do you use it for anything? s1/2?
S2

Mostly modular watch face/complications (timer, dark sky, calendar activity) but still a good amount of email notifications, texting back and forth, Home integration for Nest controls.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I've been pretty consistently charging S2 every other night for about a week and a half now, so essentially 40 hours or so on a single charge.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Ah, alright. Makes sense what with the bigger battery.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Keep in mind the S2 also needs more juice because of the brighter screen. Unless you're running the brightness lower, but that's one of the selling points of the thing. It's battery estimate is the same as the S1 at 18 hours...which admittedly seems like a joke now.

My S1 is at 44% after 34 hours, and that involves a decent amount of texting, email updates, and some apps running. Really, it's not that far behind my Pebble Time, which needed to charge every 2-3 days (seriously, the seven-day estimate must have incredibly lean use or not use sleep-tracking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

rage-saq posted:

Battery Level 17%
Usage: 5 hours 51 minutes
Standby: 2 Days, 16 Hours

It is now just after midnight on Sunday and I took my watch off the charging dock Friday morning around 7:30am and I have done nothing to try to conserve battery power. Based on what I've seen I could probably make it until lunch tomorrow, but I'm going to charge up tonight so I don't have to worry about that. My weekends are probably lighter utilization than weekdays, so I'll try two weekdays and see where I get.

Since I've gotten a few questions, here are my settings for a few things I think affect battery life: screen at 100% brightness, speaker always muted, strongest haptic strength, prominent haptic enabled, 70 second wake screen on tap which I use quite a bit, though I do cover my watch to turn it off pretty habitually.

I sold my S0 before Watch OS 3.1 came out, but the S2 has so much battery life its beyond something you have to worry about. I can see sleep tracking being a trivial thing now, 30 minutes of charging is probably more than most people will use it in a day.

• Locked thread