Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bogart posted:

It looks like there's no real downside to summoning the AI help to the final boss. Dude doesn't seem to take damage.

The downside is that getting help for boss fights is for cowards and frauds

solo Friede or gently caress off :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sapozhnik posted:

Enemy difficulty was kinda weird, everything is either trash that stunlocks and dies from two hits or miniboss-tier. Nothing in between.

Boss battle wasn't amazing but I liked what they did with it. It feels like Maria from Bloodborne except a straight improvement. Maria was supposed to be the centerpiece of The Old Hunters but she gets steamrolled by parryspam. So instead you have Friede who (afaik?) can't be parried and also doesn't have quite as many obnoxious poisey charged attacks. She isn't quite as aggressive as Maria either but she makes up for it by not having a tiny health pool, so each phase is actually a distinct battle. Still should have had one life bar for all three phases, though

See, the problem with this for me is that in Dark Souls 1 parrying WAS a fairly central mechanic. You don't need it to beat the game, but it can really really help and once you start getting even moderately decent at performing parries the combat system just feels more "complete". In Bloodborne parrying is even MORE important and the parry system in that game is my favorite in any of From's titles. Using "parryspam" is a reward in and of itself because it demonstrates that you've gotten a grasp for Bloodborne's most key mechanics: timing and observation. Utilizing these to smoothly and gracefully kill an otherwise highly challenging boss encounter is a reward in and of itself.

Dark Souls 2 and 3 don't seem to have nearly the same emphasis on parrying. It feels dropped to the wayside, and I have never been able to get a good rhythm for parry timings in Souls games past DS1. As a result, I feel that the Friede fight isn't as strong an encounter as the Maria one precisely because you really don't have a way of beating her at her own game. I have no idea if you even can parry her and besides that the battle is much more about figuring out the trick to her signature move and then timing your blocking/counter attacks around that. It doesn't feel like a proud culmination of the game's most core combat mechanics like the Maria fight did.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man I've spent 90 minutes on the second DLC boss now and it sure is frustrating. Phase 1 and 2 are so easy now I'm only dying from freak accidents and because I decided to get more aggressive in phase 1 to learn dodge-timings better since I was beating it with 0 - 1 Estus most of the time anyway, but I can't make much progress in phase 3. Half of it is she seems to have very few openings, mostly her pre-guillotine jump and her invisibility, and the other half is I'm just not quick enough to reaction-dodge he quickest attacks properly. Eventually I mess up enough to get near one-shot when not Embered (for some reason I always play like poo poo while Embered, if I decide I've gotten enough practice and should start using Embers I immediately die the next attempt and generally regress to completely useless for whatever reason) or just run out of Estus. I'm not even frustrated with the fight overall yet, but it's hard to stay motivated when the first two phases feel so rote and uninteresting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hunt11 posted:

That isn't true though. He has his multiple slam attacks, the weird crawl lunging thing, and every now and then he just smashes his pot on the ground and makes everything explode.

He has multiple attacks but they all suck. A lot of them are also super long and don't react to your positioning; Ariandel will keep spewing fire even if you're right behind him shoving a sword into his rear end chair. This makes it really easy to bait him into doing an attack that will whiff, giving you plenty of time to attack him safely. His super slam is the only move that forces you to back off, but it is another attack that takes forever. You can even roll through it if you time it properly.

This strategy only fails if Friede decides to actually attack up close instead of sitting back and spamming ice waves. Otherwise it makes the fight stupidly easy. Again, I think its amazingly stupid that the boss has a heal and the best strat is to ignore it and just keep bullying the old bird man.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
so I'm invading with success in the corvian village, using sabre and the corvian assassins as Gank spots. other than sunbro and Rosaria, what other covenants should I be getting items for? i have a ton of tongues now

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
From please no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPJH43vZRaY

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wonder how much of the shortness of the dlc is because of creating the net code for the arena.

Also for the love of God give the arena rewards. There is no point to it otherwise.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

All the PvP addicts on YouTube were already complaining about dodge rolls in PvP. If that becomes a thing something might actually be done.

I'm not sure what would be the best way to go about it, that doesn't hurt people in pve. I would guess make some i frames not count against players.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wonder how much of the shortness of the dlc is because of creating the net code for the arena.

Also for the love of God give the arena rewards. There is no point to it otherwise.

Let me get covenant rewards based on what phantom I go in as. From please I only have six concords

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pvp players complaining about dodge rolling are pathetic.

Pvp players who are super angry the fighting is more complex than ds1 are awful. Yeah, you can dodge roll a lot. But people who dodge roll do it as a hard counter to heavy weapons users. If someone dodge rolls a lot either time the rolls or use a parry when they pop out to attack.

The whiny YouTube dark souls community is all convinced anything that causes them to lose is terrible and broken.

Edit: also there is nothing broken in that arena video. The people he is fighting against are just bad at pvp

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 28, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Praise and Neptune aren't losing to people dodge rolling 6 times away. They're just frustrated that it's scrub play but too hard to punish and drags everything out. Which is probably still pathetic in its own way.

Speaking of heavy weapons being hard countered, I really like them so how should I approach PvP?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pvp players who are super angry the fighting is more complex than ds1 are awful. Yeah, you can dodge roll a lot. But people who dodge roll do it as a hard counter to heavy weapons users. If someone dodge rolls a lot either time the rolls or use a parry when they pop out to attack.

So rolling being insanely good and making big weapons worthless is okay and good and anyone dissatisfied by that is just a whiny baby huh

The main point is that the fighting is less complex even than 1, and certainly less complex than 2. There are pretty much just win buttons. It's ridiculously hard to pull off something that's both fun and effective.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Speaking of heavy weapons being hard countered, I really like them so how should I approach PvP?

Mind games. Sell the opponent on a pattern of attack. Then, switch up the pattern suddenly. Get them to assume an attack so they roll, don't attack, and hit them when they get out of the roll. You only need two or three good hits to win a pvp with heavy weapons

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Insurrectionist posted:

Man I've spent 90 minutes on the second DLC boss now and it sure is frustrating. Phase 1 and 2 are so easy now I'm only dying from freak accidents and because I decided to get more aggressive in phase 1 to learn dodge-timings better since I was beating it with 0 - 1 Estus most of the time anyway, but I can't make much progress in phase 3. Half of it is she seems to have very few openings, mostly her pre-guillotine jump and her invisibility, and the other half is I'm just not quick enough to reaction-dodge he quickest attacks properly. Eventually I mess up enough to get near one-shot when not Embered (for some reason I always play like poo poo while Embered, if I decide I've gotten enough practice and should start using Embers I immediately die the next attempt and generally regress to completely useless for whatever reason) or just run out of Estus. I'm not even frustrated with the fight overall yet, but it's hard to stay motivated when the first two phases feel so rote and uninteresting.

I haven't beaten it yet, but I think the main idea is the same as a lot of Bloodborne bosses: you want to roll to the side, and to their back. I think you also never want to have any sort of distance, because all of her distance punishes are brutal and have weird timing. In that regard it reminds me a lot of False King Allant.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The whiny YouTube dark souls community is all convinced anything that causes them to lose is terrible and broken.

Edit: also there is nothing broken in that arena video. The people he is fighting against are just bad at pvp

???

I'm with you on the YT Souls community sucking in a big way but the whole point of the video is that you don't have to pop out and attack, and if you don't have to attack you can keep rolling until the clock runs down. You can't hit a Bloodring user reliably who just wants to play keepaway.

Granted you don't get anything for winning so this is all moot but it's an invincible strategy outside of your opponent getting extremely lucky.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

So rolling being insanely good and making big weapons worthless is okay and good and anyone dissatisfied by that is just a whiny baby huh

Big weapons are not worthless at all, they are hard countered by a sub 30% weight build. If you are only relying on one style to win pvp that is not the game's fault. You can still win against a fast roll character with a heavy weapon, but it requires more strategy than against other builds

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I like pvp a lot, have since demon's, but the problem has always been that the more people figure it out the worse it becomes. Invasion style pvp is an awesome and unique mechanic where as duels are just a really laggy and poorly balanced fighting game. The people taking it super seriously are doing themselves a disservice and they would probably get more out of their time by committing it to like an actual competitive focused game.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Invasions seem cool. But do people just run around embered in places late game to be invaded?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Invasions seem cool. But do people just run around embered in places late game to be invaded?

I do

You can also set down an invasion sign in the two fight clubs and people will almost always summon you

Deified Data posted:

I'm with you on the YT Souls community sucking in a big way but the whole point of the video is that you don't have to pop out and attack, and if you don't have to attack you can keep rolling until the clock runs down. You can't hit a Bloodring user reliably who just wants to play keepaway.

If the guy keeps rolling and doesn't attack he doesn't win either

In which case its a guy being a goofy troll which is not something new to Dark Souls pvp

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 28, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't realize there were ranks in the undead match. Neat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't realize there were ranks in the undead match. Neat.

There are?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Roll-spamming is less of a problem in team matches because anyone who does it isn't racking up kills to help their team and can still lose because of that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's what that video said. I guess it's the icon next to your name?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

The people taking it super seriously are doing themselves a disservice and they would probably get more out of their time by committing it to like an actual competitive focused game.

Yeah, I don't see PVP as a way to prove I am "THE BEST PLAYER EVER" just as a fun way to test my build's ability to adapt to different player styles. Dark Souls pvp is definitely not designed to create an objective Daigo-style "king of pvp"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yes. People want to stay embered most of the time. If you are in the appropriate level range for the area, you can get plenty of invasions at all points in the game.

Most people don't want to be invaded though. They just want the health bonus or too coop. So know that there's no such thing as honor in invasions and that odds are heavily stacked against you most of the time; the host can potentially have double your estus and multiple phantoms. The game prioritizes worlds with phantoms present for invasions, so its not uncommon to invade a world and get chain stunned by the host and his two buddies.

I find invasions a lot more fun than structured PvP though. There's a lot more variety due to the different types of areas you can fight in. Invasions in the rafters of the Deep Cathedral are hilarious.

RBA Starblade posted:

That's what that video said. I guess it's the icon next to your name?

Yes you get different tiers of shiny skulls next to your name that people can see online.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 28, 2016

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

sector_corrector posted:

I haven't beaten it yet, but I think the main idea is the same as a lot of Bloodborne bosses: you want to roll to the side, and to their back. I think you also never want to have any sort of distance, because all of her distance punishes are brutal and have weird timing. In that regard it reminds me a lot of False King Allant.

I found it to be the exact opposite: one of the few bosses where dodging backwards is a good idea. Just keep rolling away from all the multi-hit combos and punish after the distance rush and magic attacks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Most people don't want to be invaded though. They just want the health bonus or too coop. So know that there's no such thing as honor in invasions and that odds are heavily stacked against you most of the time; the host can potentially have double your estus and multiple phantoms. The game prioritizes worlds with phantoms present for invasions, so its not uncommon to invade a world and get chain stunned by the host and his two buddies.

Another thing to keep in mind if you invade is that players (like myself) will gently caress with you

I respond to most unwanted invasions by chameleoning and hiding in the corner of a dark room and playing with my phone until they leave

EDIT: if you want "the spirit" of invasions without having to worry about getting hosed either by double teams or dickhead players, I recommend being an aldritch faithful.

It still works like an invasion and the people who sign up to get invaded by the faithful tend to have a good sense of humor about the whole thing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bogart posted:

It looks like there's no real downside to summoning the AI help to the final boss. Dude doesn't seem to take damage.

Slave Knight Gael can definitely be killed but I'm not quite sure how it works. He doesn't have a visible health bar, I've never caught him using estus (though I can't rule out that it's possible) and I've never seen him die in the second phase, even when Ariandel runs right over him smashing him with the bowl. But I've seen him die twice to Blackflame Friede's decapitation grab. So either he's just insanely buff, or it's only that specific attack that can kill him, or he only starts taking damage on the third phase, or something else funky is going on.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

EDIT: if you want "the spirit" of invasions without having to worry about getting hosed either by double teams or dickhead players, I recommend being an aldritch faithful.

It still works like an invasion and the people who sign up to get invaded by the faithful tend to have a good sense of humor about the whole thing

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You can also set down an invasion sign in the two fight clubs and people will almost always summon you

Isn't setting down the sign just dueling?

My time as a faithful trying to get dregs was an endless parade of 3 man gank squads just waiting in the court yard.

I really liked being a blue phantom in ds1. I wish they had that, like sunbros can invade too. Unless they do? I think I tried it though.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I have a problem with all Dark Souls games, I start off trying to make some sort of caster man / magic build, but I somehow always just morph into a physical dude who beats the gently caress out of monsters with a large weapon. How do I break this addiction and actually find a non physical build fun enough to stick with? I've done this for DeS, DS1, DS2, and DS3 and I just loving can't help it at all, slamming people into the ground with a fuckoff two hander is too much fun.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Well there is the faith str building I'm loving around with. In ds3 it's the hardest to be a straight caster. You need way more than 120 stats.

I have 60 faith and enough strength to hold the earth seeker. I haven't used it much to know how viable it is. But you can be chucking sunlight and get your big beat stick.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

fargom posted:

I have a problem with all Dark Souls games, I start off trying to make some sort of caster man / magic build,

One of the things about DS is that pure magic builds are simply not tenable. Magic seems to be a supplement to a main physical style rather than a primary attack form. I would find a weapon style that fits your "idea" of being a magician and using it in conjunction with magic.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Isn't setting down the sign just dueling?

My time as a faithful trying to get dregs was an endless parade of 3 man gank squads just waiting in the court yard.

I really liked being a blue phantom in ds1. I wish they had that, like sunbros can invade too. Unless they do? I think I tried it though.

Also, maybe its just me, but people seem chiller about pvp and invasions at crazy high levels

I know people recommend around SL 80 for pvp but I have been doing it at SL 170 for a while now and the people I bump into have been fun

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

fargom posted:

I have a problem with all Dark Souls games, I start off trying to make some sort of caster man / magic build, but I somehow always just morph into a physical dude who beats the gently caress out of monsters with a large weapon. How do I break this addiction and actually find a non physical build fun enough to stick with? I've done this for DeS, DS1, DS2, and DS3 and I just loving can't help it at all, slamming people into the ground with a fuckoff two hander is too much fun.

Just use the Moonlight Greatsword in any of those games and do both.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The bird village seems like a great place to invade

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh I've been at 120. I haven't heard about 80. I might try 160, theres supposed to be another crowd there.

Maybe be gauche and level myself up but not enough to not get matched with all the 120s anyway.

E: I was 80 when I was faithful, Thinking about it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Your first playthrough character exists to level up to infinity and screw around with every single weapon and spell you can get your filthy hands on

Subsequent characters are for builds where you actually have some inkling about what the gently caress it is that you are doing

mine is still heiling hitler at level 88 though so i guess i haven't really been enraptured by ds3 like i have been by bloodborne and ds2 the best games in the series

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 28, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mel Mudkiper posted:

we must be playing different Dark Souls 3. any time I've ever seen / done Aldrich Faithful it's a parade of 3 man pre-planned gank squads and if you don't wait for another faithful or red/purp to spawn in, it's just a shitshow.

also it seems like the DLC was really made to try and punish straight sword abuse? I've played through the whole DLC with a big 2H weapon and you can stun-lock / visceral pretty much everything, with the exception of those fat Vikings, but even they will stagger after 2-3 hits. it seems like if you were using a smaller weapon that can't interrupt / hyper-armor trade, you'd be in for a much harder time.

the grave tender was a joke vs 2H attacks. either you stun-lock him, or else you hyper armor trade and stun-lock him, or he blocks and your 2nd attack breaks his guard and then you slay him with the hornet ring.

even Maria gets stun-locked in phase 1, and if you have enough poise/hyper armor you can just trade hits with her and beat her senseless. I think her backwards-jump is treated like a player's roll through, with I-frames and no wind-up, because she seems to be able to do only that move to escape repeated 2H smashes.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I like how we're just straight up calling her Maria now

You can hyper-armor trade with straight swords, you just have to consume FP to do it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gravetender is a joke no matter what your build is. Its quite easy for him to die before his wolf pal even shows up to help.

Why the hell is his arena so big? You have all this space but there's no reason to ever go outside of the structure you start the fight under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Took me another 45 minutes but I finally beat Friede. Helped a lot to grab some more Estus and just forget about spells because while they were very useful in P1 and P2, I could also do both of those easily without them. They were mostly useless in P3 for me, except to finish her off, but don't need a lot of mana for that. Other thing that helped was just grinding it some more and learning all of the attacks. My biggest problem was that using Onyx Blade, I almost couldn't stunlock her at all in the final phase - in phase 1 it worked fine, but in phase 3 I'd usually get an opening, swing once, and then she'd JUST escape the stun frames and side/back-step away before I could connect a second hit. Learning which of her showy attacks I could simply dodge into/run under and get a power-attack/backstab after was useful, as was just learning the timings of her regular attacks so I could get away and Estus reliably rather than get 3-4 hit killed.