Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Gaz2k21 posted:

The Friday the 13th game is being delayed to incorporate a single player mode estimated release is early 2017 😵

Really old quote but the movies were released almost annually, 8 movies from 1980 through 1989. Then a 4 year break til Jason went to hell. They don't make franchises like that anymore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

GANDHITRON posted:

I love the Stalker series, but isn't the stealth system entirely busted? Also, I'm not sure the thing about using bolts as a distraction is real, though I never really tried it.
I just remember that when you were in the bushes, you were actually perfectly visible to AI, as in, bushes were only visible to yourself. But then again, wasn't that standard for stealth of that period?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

al-azad posted:

It sounds like the rerelease fixed my issues but I remember the mutants being super boring. Like on the surface you have these weird dog mole men who looked goofy as gently caress and lazily swiped at you so slowly you could circle strafe them easily.

I always played on either the hardest or next to hardest difficulty for extra euro difficulty

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

woodenchicken posted:

I just remember that when you were in the bushes, you were actually perfectly visible to AI, as in, bushes were only visible to yourself. But then again, wasn't that standard for stealth of that period?

I don't know about that, but I do remember the AI being able to hear you moving through brush which is the sort of thing that you usually don't expect in video games. They could also hear you fiddling around in your inventory.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

lets hang out posted:

I don't know about that, but I do remember the AI being able to hear you moving through brush which is the sort of thing that you usually don't expect in video games. They could also hear you fiddling around in your inventory.

Yeah, my understanding is that stealth is based almost entirely on your personal light level and amount of sound you're making, and you have meters for both of them right on your HUD. I don't think anything besides hard level geometry would break sight lines. It's a challenge to get the hang of (like everything else in the entire game) but I've definitely crept up on bandits and skirted past monsters by staying in the dark and keeping quiet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It should've been fixed in the multitude of patches but yes, the bushes in the original stalker didn't do anything. Light and noise was a factor.

Captain Yossarian posted:

I always played on either the hardest or next to hardest difficulty for extra euro difficulty

I can only speak for the original game but the mutants had easily exploitable attacks on any difficulty. Even the Librarians, who were conceptually neat, went down in 2 headshots from a charged up crossbow thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

STALKER was an incredible game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata
4. SOMA
5. Haunt the House: Terrortown
6. Oxenfree
7. Vlad the Impaler
8. Condemned: Criminal Origins
9. The Last Door: Season 2
10. Shadowgrounds
11. The Last NightMary
12. Kholat
13. Fran Bow
14. TRAUMA
15. Alan Wake
16. Dark Fall 1: The Journal
17. Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart
18. Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition
19. Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion
20. The Swapper
21. Monstrum
22. Serena
23. Cry of Fear
24. Black Mirror II
25. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

26. Anodyne

Dreams are pretty common tropes in all sorts of media, which is unfortunate because they're rarely used well. Too many games and movies and books use dreams as a cheap shock or an easy way to spill characterization, ignoring the unique sensations and aesthetic of the subconscious. The developers behind Anodyne didn't take the easy way out here, because they've crafted an expansive dreamscape to explore that actually feels like the product of an unquiet mind. And not only that, they built a fun and engaging game on top of that hook.

Anodyne is the story of Young, a... youthful, platinum-haired fellow plumbing the depths of his own subconscious. I won't go into anymore detail than that, but the diverse cast of characters you'll come across in your surreal trip will happily fill in the gaps for you, even if it doesn't seem like it at the time. You'll control Young in a manner very similar to classic Legend of Zelda, from a top-down and pixellated perspective. While most of the game is exploring the strange and meaningful world, there is some combat to be had with your trusty broom and some puzzling, including some occasionally challenging platforming.

The world of Young's mind is the big draw here, because it does a magnificent job of approximating a series of dreamscapes. I mean, it's going to be different for everyone of course but Anodyne nails the universal logic of dreams, the seemingly inexplicable connections and non-sequiturs that do indeed represent events in the waking world. You'll start in pleasant, wind-swept meadows and mossy ruins but soon find yourself in impossibly-sprawling apartment complexes, twisting dungeons, ghostly towns, and stranger places still. They exist as real places would in a dream but connect and change in unexpected ways, lending them that key sensation of mystery and unfamiliarity.

It's not a horror game but the way that every location and creature is a little bit off gives a feeling of foreboding to the adventure. And there are definitely some horrifying things that happen, so that feeling is not at all unjustified. The low-key soundtrack helps a lot here too, setting the tone just right for your imagination to run wild. As you progress the environments get stranger and the creatures spout more nonsense, but it really does come together in the end to give you an idea of what it's all speaking to.

I've gone on a bit much about the atmosphere, but the gameplay is plenty solid enough to keep it entertaining. Young is spry and controls well, allowing you to weave around tricky foes and pummel them with your broom. You'll find upgrades to your weapon and mobility as well, along with collectible cards that provide additional insight on the world's denizens. Save points are plentiful and there's an expansive fast-travel system for the expansive world, so don't worry about missing key items or dying at inopportune times.

There's hardly anything to criticize here if you're down for a journey into the surreal. The story is good, the gameplay is tight, and the environments are crafted with expert care. It'll last you a few hours even if you don't go hunting for every little secret, too. I love great atmosphere and I love great gameplay, so I can barely contain my excitement for any title that combines the two. Anodyne is an excellent adventure game from top to bottom, and one of the few to really do dreamscapes justice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

I wanted to say something about Yomawari, but the game crashes after launch for everyone without Win 10 and a plugged-in Xbox 360 controller.

I'm playing it on Vita and it's oddly effective. It does a thing I really like where it uses game design conventions to tell the story. For example the tutorial teaches you the controls and then forces you to do something you'll immediately regret. So far the gameplay revolves around avoiding monsters as you go from point a to point b. It relies heavily on sound where your heartbeat indicates the vicinity of enemies. You can hide which goes to a completely black screen and enemies appear as red mist. Each enemy introduces a new trick or puzzle for getting by them.

Sucks that it doesn't work on PC right now but my first impression is high. It's weird, it's really no different from those free crappy Unity first person RUN FROM MONSTER horror games but despite its cute art and top-down 2D graphics it's far creepier than all of those.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Just bought Yomawari myself, and have only got a little bit past where the game opens up. The controls take some getting used to, but it is indeed very effective, particularly with headphones; your only really solid point of vision is your flashlight, but some critters you can see without your flashlight and some you cannot, you can outrun some and have to hide from others, and part of the experience is figuring out how to deal with what.

Something to consider starting up: the game has a checkpoint system in the form of leaving a coin at Juzo statues you find, and whenever you do this, the game tells you it quicksaves. This is not the same as a regular save; it's more as a checkpoint/teleportation system and will not be remembered as a permanent save. To do that, you have to go home (there's a prompt in the menu) and save in your diary. That's the only save the game recognizes; I found that out the hard way so don't do what I did.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is it worth modding Shadow of Chernobyl?

I'm gonna give it another go, and I know of at least 2 huge rebalance mods that are considered very good, but I'm unsure if any of them are actually ncessary

v: thanks friend

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 27, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Is it worth modding Shadow of Chernobyl?

I'm gonna give it another go, and I know of at least 2 huge rebalance mods that are considered very good, but I'm unsure if any of them are actually ncessary
Its rather mandatory because the base game is a buggy mess.

You want the Zone Reclamation Mod.

Call of Pripyat is totally fine unmodded though.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

To be honest, I didn't really get into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. until I modded it (and this was back when Complete was the go-to mod) because too many things would break for me. Now that I understand the game better I'm comfortable with it unmodded, but first time out something like ZRM is probably a good idea to make sure the technical issues don't drive you away.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I can hardly play Call of Pripyat without MISERY anymore, poo poo's cool.

First time night fell and it was actually just above pitch black in the big swampy zone minus distant lights and stuff was pretty :stonk:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 27, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anodyne's good. If you liked the game boy Zelda games, it's for you.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I picked two particularly heavy games for the end of the month, so excuse me while I divert into something a little lighter.

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata
4. SOMA
6. Oxenfree
7. Vlad the Impaler
10. Shadowgrounds
11. The Last NightMary
12. Kholat
13. Fran Bow
14. TRAUMA
15. Alan Wake
20. The Swapper
21. Monstrum
22. Serena
23. Cry of Fear
24. Black Mirror II
26. Anodyne

27. Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden

It turns out you can make a hidden object game out of just about anything, and Bioshock is no exception. I'm not being facetious here either, you can only have so many art deco steampunk underwater cities before someone starts making the connections between them. But Abyss manages to go a bit beyond Rapture with its own supernatural angle, and makes a pretty entertaining and relaxing game of it to boot.

You play a professional diver on the trail of her husband who disappeared on a routine excursion. The tutorial scenes get you to the gates of Eden, a sprawling underwater metropolis that just kinda flew under the radar, I guess? The place has been overrun by the titular wraiths, ghastly cloaked things that really do not want you finding your beau. To thwart them, you're going to have to pick up every piece of garbage you can find and solve the brain-teasers that people used to lock things in Eden instead of, y'know, actual loving locks.

This is all very standard fare for a hidden object game, and in particular an Artifex Mundi one. As you travel about the undersea burg you'll come across hidden object scenes to solve. Each has 12 items to find, most just by clicking them but some by combining other items. Those scenes grant you an inventory item which, along with other loose objects you find, allow you to open up new areas and progress the plot. Abyss has an interesting pace to its collecting, where most of the items you need for a particular area are found in or near that area. You'll often fill up and then clear out your entire inventory in a single wing of the city, which helps cut down on laborious backtracking.

That's true until the last hour of the game, at least. Once you identify the source of the wraiths and how to defeat them, you're set on a city-wide scavenger hunt to assemble the bits and bobs to do it. This last leg involves a LOT of backtracking, almost enough to make up for the excellent pacing earlier on. There's also a central elevator you'll be using a lot that cycles through three floors without being able to select which floor to go straight to, and by the end of the game I was about sick of pulling that particular lever.

Despite these gripes, Abyss is a very solid adventure. The scenes are crisp and colorful, the puzzles are fun and have a few unique elements, and the story has a few welcome twists to keep you involved. I mentioned that it's not a straight Bioshock rip and I meant it... fans of Lovecraft might want to consider this one more seriously, in fact. There are even some good spooks to be had here, an uncommon feature for hidden object games. Your protagonist has an unfortunate habit of disturbing corpses and not noticing hostile beings until they're up in her face, and a few of those gave me some embarrassing starts.

The quality-of-life elements are all in place for a satisfying experience as well. The map is very clear with where you need to go, though it doesn't allow for fast travel. The hint system works fine, and much like many Artifex Mundi games there's an optional domino game mode that you can play in lieu of the actual hidden object scenes. It's a nice consideration for folks who want to enjoy the adventure without all the item hunting. That means that even if you aren't a HOG enthusiast, Abyss is a great way to relax and puzzle through a deep-sea city of mysteries.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Bogart posted:

Anodyne's good. If you liked the game boy Zelda games, it's for you.

There's a bit more to Anodyne than meets the eye. Definitely worth checking out.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
If you enjoyed Link's Awakening you owe it to yourself to check out Anodyne.

and if you're a LA speedrunner you REALLY owe it to yourself.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

prahanormal posted:

If you enjoyed Link's Awakening you owe it to yourself to check out Anodyne.

and if you're a LA speedrunner you REALLY owe it to yourself.

poo poo. I'm sold.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Anodyne struck me as being way less clever than it thought it was but it's still a nice and interesting game anyway.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If you like the "exploring dreams" aspect of Anodyne, I recommend Yume Nikki, which was its obvious inspiration.

I liked Anodyne... except for the post game content. Didn't have the patience.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata
4. SOMA
6. Oxenfree
7. Vlad the Impaler
10. Shadowgrounds
11. The Last NightMary
12. Kholat
13. Fran Bow
14. TRAUMA
15. Alan Wake
20. The Swapper
21. Monstrum
22. Serena
23. Cry of Fear
24. Black Mirror II
26. Anodyne
27. Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden

28. Noct

I was all set to review Noct weeks ago. It was a promising top-down horror game with virtually nothing to do, and seemingly no future development to look forward to. But then I heard about a major update in the pipe, so I held my tongue. After all, great games have on occasion been salvaged from poor ones. I've spent the better part of an hour with the new Noct, and I can safely say I'm still un-thrilled with it, just in a different way now.

"Noct" refers to a disaster that has effectively ended the world, ushering in unspeakable horrors reminiscent of Stephen King's The Mist. You play one of a handful of unnamed survivors picking their way across the blasted hellscape that was once Earth. Scavenging through the few structures that remain, you find weapons, ammunition, and supplies to help you ward off the monsters overrunning the surface. You can also assemble a bunker for yourself, a simple underground haven to drop equipment and take breathers.

The bunker is a major new addition, along with cataclysms. Every 5 minutes, the world basically ends again. You need to be in your bunker when that happens, or you're history. So for those five precious minutes, you better scavenge as much junk as you can from the cars and cabinets left standing. You also need to gun down or pummel as many creepy-crawlies as you can, because... well, honestly that's all there is to do.

My big gripe with Noct both before and after the update is that there's nothing to do. Before, you had a great big empty map to explore and loot. Now you have a tiny postage-stamp map to fend off endless waves of worms and spiders on. When you safely bunker down for a cataclysm you get a score page that rates you on how many things you killed, how much junk you found, and so on. Supposedly this will be used in future progression systems, but that doesn't change the fact that there's no reason to chase high scores now.

Even if I wanted to, it's a pretty laborious process thanks to some questionable design. The biggest issue is the health system, an admittedly welcome change from the one-hit-kills of before, but not by much. Your health is percentage-based, and when it hits certain thresholds around 30% and 70%, your character slows down. He's not terribly fleet of foot to begin with, so even a small movement penalty is a death sentence against your writhing foes. And even if you manage to ward off death in your crippled state, you might not have the time to limp back to your bunker before the next apocalypse comes to town.

The update introduced a slew of new technical issues, as well. Interactables are much touchier about being activated, which can cost you a survivor if you need to grab a new gun this instant. You have to hold the button to search crates and such but there's no progress bar to show you how long to hold. The entire HUD will sometimes vanish after a cataclysm, leaving you guessing how much health or ammo you have left. And in a completely inexplicable move, you have to wait a minute or more sometimes for a respawn timer to start a new game even in single-player mode.

My original review spent a lot of time lauding the unique look of Noct, but even that's taken a hit with this update. The original top-down monochrome display was a nod to your perspective being from an aerial drone, with brackets and scan lines for a fully immersive experience. A lot of that detailing has be jettisoned, perhaps to make the UI clearer for the more hectic action. It's still a loss, because the unique look was a big part of what little appeal Noct had. And that's really the story of this update, a giant step towards something that might not even be better than what was there already. I appreciated the somber, desolate atmosphere it had before much more than the hectic monster arenas it has now. I'll continue to follow Noct's development, and if a great game does emerge from it, you'll hear it here first. For now, though, there's no more to do than there was before, and no telling if this is one step forward or two steps back.

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line

Oxxidation posted:

Anodyne struck me as being way less clever than it thought it was but it's still a nice and interesting game anyway.

Agreed. I generally enjoyed the game as mechanically it all worked well, but I was rolling my eyes by the end. I don't think it's worth replaying, but if you can get it for cheap and want a short Zelda-like game, you could do a lot worse.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Steam's Halloween sale is here! Be aware that not everything that's on sale is on that page, here is the full specials list. Just about everything I've covered this month is heavily discounted, too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sanitarium is on sale for five bucks. I can't say enough good things about that game if you like point and click spooky

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Dementium is only a dollar and much much better than reviews indicate. It was a DS game that was pitched as a Silent Hill game FWIW.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Sanitarium is on sale for five bucks. I can't say enough good things about that game if you like point and click spooky

I will back you up on this.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Dementium is only a dollar and much much better than reviews indicate. It was a DS game that was pitched as a Silent Hill game FWIW.

And you too!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Dementium is a great game for a dollar, but a terrible game for my time. I have enough games on STEAM that I already don't have the time to finish them all. I tried to like this one, but it was too boring to finish. By comparison, Cry of Fear is free, and a better game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
For some reason I wrote a guide for Dementium 2 on gamefaqs (I think it was for a bounty they had on it). It's not a great game, and completely lacks a satisfying ending - I can't imagine the first game is any better.

So my friends and I finished SOMA. Goddamn, that is a lot more thoughtful game than I expected it to be. I thought it'd just be a crazy-robo horror game, like Bioshock with robots, minus weapons. But, uh, wow, no it was definitely asking some very profound questions that I was not expecting at all.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Ooh Uncanny Valley is only $1 right now on the Steam sale :O I've been a bit interested in that one for a while, gonna go for it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

Dementium is a great game for a dollar, but a terrible game for my time. I have enough games on STEAM that I already don't have the time to finish them all. I tried to like this one, but it was too boring to finish. By comparison, Cry of Fear is free, and a better game.

If my attempts to play it are any indication Cry of Fear is boring, poorly designed piss

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

If my attempts to play it are any indication Cry of Fear is boring, poorly designed piss

I can see why you'd say that, for sure. Now imagine a game way worse than that, and that's Dementium.

In fact, here's the first hit on google for video of this game and it would be worth your $1 to watch about two minutes of this game that takes way longer than two minutes to play.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

I can see why you'd say that, for sure. Now imagine a game way worse than that, and that's Dementium.

In fact, here's the first hit on google for video of this game and it would be worth your $1 to watch about two minutes of this game that takes way longer than two minutes to play.

I've already played through it, my dude

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I've already played through it, my dude

I'm not your dude, and I wasn't speaking to you specifically about watching an LP of a game you've already played, I was more posting that for people who were about to buy it sight unseen. I could have phrased that differently, I thought you would understand.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

VoidBurger posted:

Ooh Uncanny Valley is only $1 right now on the Steam sale :O I've been a bit interested in that one for a while, gonna go for it.

Uncanny Valley is a great game, I think you'll enjoy it. Just do yourself a favour and don't look anything up if you already haven't, it's got a surprising amount of choice in it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

SOMA is one of the few games I can honestly say will stay with me for all time

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sea Sponge Run posted:

SOMA is one of the few games I can honestly say will stay with me for all time

Yeah, I kinda wonder why anyone should emphasize with Simon after its clearly and repeatedly explained what sort of situation he's in

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tomorrow evening a couple friends and I will be doing a simultaneous Twitch stream of the three of us playing the Outlast 2 demo for the first time. My friends don't play many horror games so I'm looking forward to them freaking the gently caress out, because I'm an rear end in a top hat. :v:
My stream will be at https://www.twitch.tv/xenomrph and the fun begins tomorrow at 8PM Mountain (10PM Eastern).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I hope they enjoy getting their Dicks chopped off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So I beat 90% of Until Dawn in one night. Here's some more videos of my playthrough, the last chunk will be coming over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5oPGEGGfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1q2VEG-wUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDfeCTinSA8

My thoughts at this point:

#TeamEmily - she's the best (and also the worst (but mostly the best))

The dialogue gets so corny but I don't lose my love of it for a second. It's so much like a 80s/90s horror movie.

This game basically seems to be appealing perfectly to my taste. I love "walking simulators" and was even a fan of David Cage games up until the point where they each predictably turned to garbage. If there's a true sequel coming for this game I can't wait for it.