Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I like it when games like that give AIs a personality they follow rather than just having them try to meet the win conditions/prevent you from meeting the win conditions. The asymmetry and personality in Crusader Kings is great, although it does make the game pretty easy once you get rolling.

Honestly I'd rather have this than Optimum Difficulty. If the game is too easy, I think it's fun to handicap myself in interesting and gimmicky ways. I don't think I've ever had more fun in games than with self-imposed restrictions like single-type runs in Pokemon, tether-only runs in Just Cause, etc. But I understand that's not a popular option with the minmaxing grognards who breeze through games with the optimal build or strategy or whatever, then complain that it's too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Nostradingus posted:

But I understand that's not a popular option with the minmaxing grognards who breeze through games with the optimal build or strategy or whatever, then complain that it's too easy.

I hate it when they complain about it being too easy, because of their build, and then you find out they only have that build because they looked it up. If you're going to bitch and you looked up the optimal build, then you're a loving whiny turd.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leavemywife posted:

I hate it when they complain about it being too easy, because of their build, and then you find out they only have that build because they looked it up. If you're going to bitch and you looked up the optimal build, then you're a loving whiny turd.

Warframe was the same way. You'd have people who played for years and had every mod from every event maxed out so their builds were designed to just instantly destroy every enemy from untouchable range and they'd bitch and moan the game was too easy. Then the devs would nerf weapons, frames and buff enemies so normal players would start finding the game miserable because the turbo nerds couldn't stop being turbo nerds and the devs couldn't stop releasing limited mods that were objectively better than all the other mods and still stacked with the other mods too.

I recently stopped playing for the second time because the grinding is worse than ever since any time you have trouble with an area or a boss the solution is "your build sucks, get (insert primed mod), it only costs a thousand platinum!" but unless you've been playing for years you don't have that much platinum(the premium cash currency) and so just buying everything you don't have isn't an option.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Leavemywife posted:

So this is why Darkest Dungeon is what it is.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I've been one of those turbonerds with a ridiculous build before, but when things got made harder I got annoyed because most players weren't like me. I could get by fine, not as well as before but everyone else who used components of my build suffered through no fault of their own. If people want harder content just make super hard stuff that only has a bragging rights rewards upon completion, don't saddle people who don't/can't make ridiculous optimized builds with a miserable slog just because of a couple dweebs with way too much time on their hands.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is darkest dungeon still playable by normal human beings who don't look up everything online and min max or is it grognards-only at this point

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Slime posted:

I've been one of those turbonerds with a ridiculous build before, but when things got made harder I got annoyed because most players weren't like me. I could get by fine, not as well as before but everyone else who used components of my build suffered through no fault of their own. If people want harder content just make super hard stuff that only has a bragging rights rewards upon completion, don't saddle people who don't/can't make ridiculous optimized builds with a miserable slog just because of a couple dweebs with way too much time on their hands.

This is why I liked Bioware's addition on Trials to the option screen. If Nightmare isn't enough for your broke rear end a build and gear, turn in stuff that makes everything your level or higher while adding a dozen bonuses or new abilities.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Digirat posted:

Is darkest dungeon still playable by normal human beings who don't look up everything online and min max or is it grognards-only at this point

It's not really a hard or complex game, if you're capable of basic problem-solving and pattern recognition you can beat pretty much anything in it. There's not really much min-maxing you can do and anything you can look up online can be learned in one or two encounters with whatever thing you want to learn about. The problem is that it's really punishing, grindy and relies too heavily on RNG to make the former issues bearable.

I played it for 2-3 hours recently and just put it down again because for the first 11 weeks I didn't get a single actual healer outside the one that I assume is guaranteed at the game's start. Mid-run I was going to lose my third bounty hunter because he was getting continually focused down in every fight and I couldn't heal him because at that stage the only healer I had had levelled out of being able to run apprentice dungeons. I didn't have a party comp that could just burst down enemies before they acted, and even I'd gotten classes capable of doing that I'd be at the mercy of their randomly selected starting skills, or have to dump a few thousand gold into a bunch of level 0s who I might be better off just firing after their first run if they didn't die due to bad luck. Eventually I'd get another healer and more heroes, but eh.

I'd liken it a lot to FTL - once you know what you're doing it's pretty hard to lose unless you get fantastically unlucky, but in FTL getting fantastically unlucky means losing probably 20-30 minutes of game progress and almost definitely no more than an hour. In DD, while unlikely, you could have a hero killed before you can take an action or whiff some critical attacks (because no action has more than a 95% success chance because that's fun I guess?) and that could cost you tens of thousands of gold and easily 3+ hours of game time spent levelling that hero. You can get upgrades that let you start with higher levelled heroes but those don't go above level 3 (of 6), the upgrade itself is expensive, has pre-requisites and uses the same resource as upgrading the all-important blacksmith.

It's an aesthetically excellent game with a decent story and some cool stuff, but man it does not want you to enjoy it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gitro posted:

I'd liken it a lot to FTL - once you know what you're doing it's pretty hard to lose unless you get fantastically unlucky
See I have to call bullshit on this because at least 3/10 FTL runs whenever I play just straight up never give me a weapon or any scrap. Probably more but I get tired of and quit before losing when I go long stretches of just getting my rear end handed to me with zero events that benefit me in any way.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

See I have to call bullshit on this because at least 3/10 FTL runs whenever I play just straight up never give me a weapon or any scrap. Probably more but I get tired of and quit before losing when I go long stretches of just getting my rear end handed to me with zero events that benefit me in any way.

I think I've only really been hosed on scrap once, although I only ever play/ed on normal. It depends to an extent on the starting ship, but kestrel a and b and at least one of the lanius ships require a lot of bad luck to lose. I definitely reached a point where I was winning far more than I was losing in most ships. gently caress Stealth C though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SkeletonHero posted:

Good news! There are plenty more things in Mercenary Kings that are going to irritate you!

I have never fallen out of love with a game so hard. It's like all the real effort was put into the early release.

God that game was a steaming pile of long, slow, terrible grindy bullshit. I will never make it to the part of that game where it gets fun because I don't believe that point loving exists.

And I'm a guy who played Phantasy Star Online. Offline. Solo. For fun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mercenary Kings has a bunch of just questionable design decisions. Like tying bullet damage way too much to the magazine size. Or the weight mechanic changing how high you can jump/fast you can move, except you couldn't change it mid mission so if you find a jump you can't make then too bad. You have to start over completely.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Just play Broforce instead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just play Broforce instead.
Broforce also has a bunch of questionable design decisions.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

spooky like this! posted:

Mercenary Kings has a bunch of just questionable design decisions. Like tying bullet damage way too much to the magazine size. Or the weight mechanic changing how high you can jump/fast you can move, except you couldn't change it mid mission so if you find a jump you can't make then too bad. You have to start over completely.

I also found that enemies had enough health that you wanted a beefy weapon to kill them with, which generally meant it had to be heavy. Want to have a secondary weapon because your main one has weaknesses? Pile on more weight. Find that that weight means you can't dodge well, so need some more health or whatever? MORE loving WEIGHT.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The random Bro part is definitely the worst because some Bros were just not suited to some situations (especially boss fights.) Also the PS4 version was mad broken where every single level had a thing where a couple seconds in your character would freeze for a couple of seconds.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Slime posted:

I also found that enemies had enough health that you wanted a beefy weapon to kill them with, which generally meant it had to be heavy. Want to have a secondary weapon because your main one has weaknesses? Pile on more weight. Find that that weight means you can't dodge well, so need some more health or whatever? MORE loving WEIGHT.

The fact that the game has all that trademark Paul Robertson twee retro gaming nonsense just makes it feel even worse because of how big a front it puts on about being a love letter to classic gaming while also making so many terrible, terrible game design decisions.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Broforce also has a bunch of questionable design decisions.
I guess, but it's an extremely good time.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have a few problems with Broforce

for one: The suicide bombers! They suck, especially if you're a melee bro

Then there's the melee bros, which are good if you find out that there's a melee button that the game doesnt tell you about!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

If you switch to the radio it gets rid of weight penalties. I don't know why the game never explains that.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

My issue with Broforce was it having boss fights at all. It really didn't need them, just give me 100~ levels with lots of guys to murderkill the poo poo out of, don't fuckin' shove in a boss level where I suddenly have to race up of all directions against an auto scrolling screen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Christ, what a shitshow. I had no idea Mercenary Kings had weight and it actually affected your platforming capabilities. What the actual gently caress. I don't really know anything about Paul Robertson to know how he's messed up the game though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Item Crafting is for dorks.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So this is why Darkest Dungeon is what it is.

The devs listened way too much to a vocal group of players during the Early Access stage who insisted the game was way too easy

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Oh ffs

I've really loved the mobile game Zombidle, because the developers keep adding new mechanics to what could've been a basic tap/idle game.

But ever since their Halloween patch, the game just force closes after watching an ad for a boost. You don't even get credit for watching it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

The devs listened way too much to a vocal group of players during the Early Access stage who insisted the game was way too easy

What a waste of faux-Hellboy art. This same dependence on RNG fuckery and mindless grinding is what scared me off Sunless Sea.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What a waste of faux-Hellboy art. This same dependence on RNG fuckery and mindless grinding is what scared me off Sunless Sea.

I had the most fun with both when I cheated. Not sure what that says about me though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ShootaBoy posted:

My issue with Broforce was it having boss fights at all. It really didn't need them, just give me 100~ levels with lots of guys to murderkill the poo poo out of, don't fuckin' shove in a boss level where I suddenly have to race up of all directions against an auto scrolling screen.

God do I agree, it's the huge pulsating negative that drags down what could otherwise be one of my favorite games. Such an annoyance, Broforce doesn't have a single fun boss fight, only ones that are, at best, only a waste of time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Item Crafting is for dorks.

The only game where I think item crafting improved the game is Factorio, and in that game item crafting is the game, and the challenge is setting up a system to efficiently craft ten thousand items at once.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh yeah another thing about broforce i hate, which made me stop playing was when it introduced the aliens! gently caress that, it's not worth playing past that point.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Oh ffs

I've really loved the mobile game Zombidle, because the developers keep adding new mechanics to what could've been a basic tap/idle game.

But ever since their Halloween patch, the game just force closes after watching an ad for a boost. You don't even get credit for watching it.

It's also really drat unstable in its browser version. Nine out of ten times it'll run just fine, but in that tenth time something about their ads just crashes the entire drat browser until I can kill the flash plugin.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

It's also really drat unstable in its browser version. Nine out of ten times it'll run just fine, but in that tenth time something about their ads just crashes the entire drat browser until I can kill the flash plugin.

It's darkly funny that they are introducing a new IAP currency to replace watching ads because ads on a browser aren't stable.

And while I hope it's fixed in the special edition, the hotkey function in Skyrim pissed me off whenever I tried to duel wield the same weapon. Let's say I was using two swords (hotkey 1), and hotkey'd a spell (hotkey 2) on one hand. Pressing 1 twice wouldn't tell the game to equip both hotkey-1 swords, it'd unequip and reequip one sword.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I hate that every first person stealth game has decided that crouch is sneak mode. I don't really want to play 90% of a game in crouch.

Also, walking in a crouch is loving hard and not sneaky at all.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

kazil posted:

I hate that every first person stealth game has decided that crouch is sneak mode. I don't really want to play 90% of a game in crouch.

Playing Dishonored again before the sequel drops huh?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

kazil posted:

I liked how chaos theory handled walk speed and noise emission as factors in stealth

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't one of the PC Splinter Cell games have a thing where you controlled how fast you walked with the scroll wheel?

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Didn't one of the PC Splinter Cell games have a thing where you controlled how fast you walked with the scroll wheel?

I think that was a feature from the first game all the way through to Double Agent. I can't remember if Conviction did that or not.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

yeah, chaos theory. can't speak for the first and second; I've only played SC on console and never played pandora tomorrow.

chaos theory expanded stealth with sound. the sound meter shoes how much noise you emit when you're running full tilt or creeping by on the slowest speed, then compared it with the ambient noise of the current room. if you exceeded the room's ambient sound, you set off warnings for nearby guards. so while you had to creep silently across a mostly empty room you had more leeway with speed in rooms with loud fans or generators.

the biggest letdown for me with conviction was how it dropped all that depth in favor of leapfrogging between points of cover.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Earl of Lavender posted:

I think that was a feature from the first game all the way through to Double Agent. I can't remember if Conviction did that or not.

I don't think conviction bound walk speed to mousewheel, but I only played it on 360. it had a weird controller setup you couldn't change. blacklist fixed it so that it was more in line with other shooter games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

kazil posted:

Video game movement control in 1996:

Video game movement control in 2016: