Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We don't even have Apple Pay. This country is a shambles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

ddogflex posted:

That wasn't a "pro" machine by any loving means. Those changes are not nearly as significant either.

I know everyone has said this 700 times in this thread, but I really feel like Apple is leaving me. I've been a big proponent for years and years. I didn't upgrade my iPhone this year (I almost always do because I'm a fanboy idiot) because I loving use headphones a lot and don't want to use a dongle for that. I also charge and listen to audio at the same time a lot. I've been waiting a year at least, probably 2 for a new MBP refresh for my personal machine and they removed almost every port I use on that AND upped the price a significant amount. It's just insane. Who are they catering to now? I seriously don't know anyone who thinks the lack of headphone jack on the iPhone and lack of USB ports on the MBP are good things. There is plenty of room to have a headphone jack on the iPhone 7. There is plenty of room to have USB-C and USB-A ports on the MBP. This isn't even mentioning all the TB dongles I already have. I'm fine with swapping a dongle for a dongle, but making everything use a dongle or at best a new cable (for $25) is infuriating.

Maybe I'm just getting old. I was never bothered by any of the older "major changes" they've done. I really feel like these recent ones are more anti-consumer than ever though.

Yeah, but all or nothing approach being applied to mac products feels like hubris. It's also lovely that they're relying on 3rd parties to supply things like TB3/USB-C docks. I'm not thrilled about blindly buying docks off Amazon in the hopes that it *might* work with a bunch of dongles to connect things like external peripherals and monitors.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gret posted:

How much did people bitch back in the day when the original iMac came out with IIRC only USB ports and dropped ADB and SCSI ports?
Original iMac was a pile of poo poo and it only had two goddamn USB ports and almost no USB devices existed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWoqwCGQIM0

I still like Craig :unsmith:

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

He didn't answer any of Marcus' questions :confused:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Quantum of Phallus posted:

For reference, a fully-specced 15" in Ireland costs the equivalent of $5550 dollars.

For reference, it's $4,689.91 with California taxes. Note that the EU and UK versions have the VAT tax built into the price, where for the US models you need to add it into the advertised price alone with other federal fees (i.e. recycling fee). Still, a huge difference

Dick Trauma posted:

I like how that crazy Razer laptop looks, especially the keyboard LED setting that follows your keystrokes around. :kiddo:

Meanwhile on macrumors forums, people are calling it homosexual (in a derogatory way, if it isn't clear)

I'd totally get a razer laptop but the more I read into them the more bad things I hear. Horrible customer service, ridiculous throttling due to thermal demand of the 1060, etc. Good customer service alone is worth a few hundred dollars premium...

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 28, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They call it a MacBook Pro because when you see it you turn MBP degrees and walk away

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
I don't know what my opinion is but I notice that in this thread we are mostly having adult discussions and arguments.

But have you guys been reading r/apple over the last 24 hours

Mass tantrum is an understatement. Holy frijoles are they angry.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I was debating getting a non-touchbar MacBook Pro, but then I was like... nah. I'll just stick with my mid-2012 maxed out Air until forever. Is there somewhere I can get a cheap Thunderbolt display? To my knowledge, having a TB display the only way I can connect two external monitors to this aging beast, assuming I can daisy chain a non-Apple monitor with DP to the TB display.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I would absolutely not buy a Razer laptop and expect it to work for several years as my primary computer, no chance. I still have serious doubts about any non-Apple manufacturer because all of my pre-Apple laptop memories involve 30 minute battery life after owning the machine for a year or so. Any shiny new laptop can get a good review, but I'm interested in what someone thinks of it two years later.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

teagone posted:

I was debating getting a non-touchbar MacBook Pro, but then I was like... nah. I'll just stick with my mid-2012 maxed out Air until forever. Is there somewhere I can get a cheap Thunderbolt display? To my knowledge, having a TB display the only way I can connect two external monitors to this aging beast, assuming I can daisy chain a non-Apple monitor with DP to the TB display.

Did you look at the matrox dualhead or consider a usb3 video adapter?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I like to think that 30 days from know, there will be a bunch of Apple execs in a boardroom sitting around a screen reading internet posts about how dumb the touchbar is and all the dongle chat, then Tim Cook says "we've only sold 35,000 MacBook pros this is a disaster, put the drat ports back" and then B&H and MicroCenter blow the existing inventory out for $500 below retil

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao at the thought of Tom Cook saying anything about the MacBook again until next October.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Honestly. We'll all end up buying the 2017 model.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Apple is now saying that they couldn't include more than 16GB of ram due to power concerns.

Why didn't you put in DDR4 RAM then you morons?

quote:

Question from David: The lack of a 32GB BTO option for the new MBPs raised some eyebrows and caused some concerns (me included). Does ~3GBps bandwidth to the SSD make this a moot issue? I.e. memory paging on a 16GB system is so fast that 32GB is not a significant improvement?

Schiller's answer: Thank you for the email. It is a good question. To put more than 16GB of fast RAM into a notebook design at this time would require a memory system that consumes much more power and wouldn't be efficient enough for a notebook. I hope you check out this new generation MacBook Pro, it really is an incredible system.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Courage

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bob Morales posted:

Did you look at the matrox dualhead or consider a usb3 video adapter?

I looked at the dualhead but saw it only creates a giant, stretched desktop across two displays. I would like to have each display be their own. The USB3 to HDMI/DVI is something I've held off on because I updated to Sierra and it looks like the only decent USB3 video adapter has a bunch of issues in 10.12 http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/949426

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

prom candy posted:

I would absolutely not buy a Razer laptop and expect it to work for several years as my primary computer, no chance. I still have serious doubts about any non-Apple manufacturer because all of my pre-Apple laptop memories involve 30 minute battery life after owning the machine for a year or so. Any shiny new laptop can get a good review, but I'm interested in what someone thinks of it two years later.
source your quotes

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

prom candy posted:

:agreed:

But, then, I'm still salty about having two Dell laptops in a row in college suffer total hinge failure in the span of like 6 months each.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am surprised that people are upset about not being able to have more than 16 GB of RAM. I don't see any reason to run that many VMs on a laptop.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Prediction: the envy factor of seeing somebody use this thing in public is going to be huge again.

fleshweasel posted:

I am surprised that people are upset about not being able to have more than 16 GB of RAM. I don't see any reason to run that many VMs on a laptop.
I'm a horrible programmer and having twice the RAM will decrease the number of times I crash my machine by filling its memory with unreasonably-sized matrices.

I just bought a Linux workstation with 128GB for that reason.

For reference, a fully-specced 15" in Ireland costs the equivalent of $5550 dollars.
CLICK IT

YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cingulate posted:

Prediction: the envy factor of seeing somebody use this thing in public is going to be huge again.

We can complain about ports and prices all we want, but this is the best looking laptop on the planet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haha considering I paid literally 10% of that for my 2013 rMBP, I think I'll pass.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

It's kinda sad the Air is done. My 2013 Air has been so great for uni and I am going to use it dies now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

source your quotes

- me, expressing my actual beliefs

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

We can complain about ports and prices all we want, but this is the best looking laptop on the planet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

- me, expressing my actual beliefs

poo poo, how many HP Touchsmarts or Motorola Xoom's are still in use compared to iPad 2's.

The iPad 2 is also the best example of why you should never buy a first gen Apple product (see iPad 1).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My mom's been using an iPad 2 for what seems like a hundred years

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

krooj posted:

Yeah, but all or nothing approach being applied to mac products feels like hubris.

This is not new in the slightest. That's why Macs today don't have PS/2 ports but PCs being built today do.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

computer parts posted:

This is not new in the slightest. That's why Macs today don't have PS/2 ports but PCs being built today do.

Not even macs can protect from USB MitM keyloggers. PS/2 is STILL a requirement for government contracted hardware.

Trust me, they wouldn't be there if they didn't need to be.

My mom's been using an iPad 2 for what seems like a hundred years

They need to make an New iPad 2 just to get the old folks to upgrade.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

By removing the USB-A connection, Apple has saved a whole host of users from MITM attacks. Thanks Tim!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
With this new macbook pro announcement I was thinking, cool I won't have to buy a loving magsafe every year now (they cost $200 here for some reason) and the USB-C cables will be a lot cheaper. Also I'll be able to charge it from either side, which is very cool and useful.

I don't give a gently caress about the touch bar, so I won't even consider the touchbar version at the current price point. Btw you can put an i7 cpu on the function keys version and it will be the same price as the i5 touch bar version.

But why remove the usb-c ports from the right side in this version??? It makes no loving sense at all. Goddamn it apple, you lost me. I'll probably get the surface book with a discrete GPU that's at the same price point. Or better yet, hold on to my air 2012 for 2-3 more years

eames
May 9, 2009

I am certain that the EU pricing is all about the $14.5 billion EU Tax fine.

fortune posted:

As for Apple’s bottom line, the company made $39 billion in its fiscal 2014, which ended in September and the last year covered by the tax deal. That represents about 20% of the profits it made during the 11-year period covered by the $14.5 billion tax fine. So if Apple had paid its full taxes, it would have owed nearly $3 billion in extra taxes.

Assume it will have to pay those taxes in the future, and expected earnings this year would drop to $41 billion. Apply Apple’s p/e ratio of around 12 to that, and you get a market cap of $482 million, or roughly $88 billion less than where the stock trades today.

Apple has lived in a world for more than a decade—or probably more like two—where it hasn’t had to pay much taxes on a good portion of its earnings. Investors, it appears, still believe they are living in that world.
http://fortune.com/2016/08/31/apple-eu-tax-fine/

So now they're sticking it to the customers in the EU. It remains to be seen whether this works out or backfires. I know 5 people (6 including myself) who were dead set on buying a new MBP after the announcement and none of them ordered one so far.

unrelated:

macrumors posted:

No Power Extension Cable: In line with the 12-inch MacBook, new MacBook Pro models do not come with Apple's Power Adapter Extension Cable in the box. Previous MacBook Pro models included the extension cable in the box for several years. The extension cable, which provides extra length between the power brick and wall outlet, can be purchased as a standalone product for $19.
Clowns.

eames fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 28, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

eames posted:

Clowns.

It's the small things like this that get me

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
90% of the MBP users I encounter in life have attached the extension cable to the power adapter and have no idea where the original duckhead is.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fleshweasel posted:

90% of the MBP users I encounter in life have attached the extension cable to the power adapter and have no idea where the original duckhead is.
I on the other hand use the extension once a year. Don't even know where mine is right now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mitztronic posted:

Apple is now saying that they couldn't include more than 16GB of ram due to power concerns.

holy poo poo no one gives a gently caress what kind of ram they use jfc

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

mitztronic posted:

quote:

Question from David: The lack of a 32GB BTO option for the new MBPs raised some eyebrows and caused some concerns (me included). Does ~3GBps bandwidth to the SSD make this a moot issue? I.e. memory paging on a 16GB system is so fast that 32GB is not a significant improvement?

Schiller's answer: Thank you for the email. It is a good question. To put more than 16GB of fast RAM into a notebook design at this time would require a memory system that consumes much more power and wouldn't be efficient enough for a notebook. I hope you check out this new generation MacBook Pro, it really is an incredible system.
Hahahahahahaha

eames
May 9, 2009

Holy moly this is so fitting, it's almost scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1rXqD6M614

Tim Cook, tonerhead #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
And here's a trade-in program for credit towards MS Surfaces:

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2016/10/27/surface-helps-apple-macbook-owners-trade-up-to-pen-and-on-screen-touch/#D0t5e5rO2DBMHxs0.97

:lol: