Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Burn After Reading is fun. A lot of people got mad about it though because they expected "funny spy movie with Brad Pitt" instead of "satire of spy movies where Brad Pitt gets his face blown off midway through".
Burn After Reading is really enjoyable. Everyone gives a great performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I could really give that another watch as well as the burbs beside its gone.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The best part of Burn After Reading is the triangular foam gently caress pillow.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

The best part of Burn After Reading is the triangular foam gently caress pillow.

I enjoy that George Clooney running is a running gag.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

rngd in the womb posted:

List of everything coming to and leaving Netflix. Nothing's catching my eye, so this list seems pretty weak.
3% looks like it may be interesting,. it's a dystopian sci fi series set in Brazil, where people get one chance to test out of a life of bondage and move up to the luxury class - but only 3% make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rvS7nX7pM

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/5/9100661/netflix-3-percent-original-programming-brazil

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

coyo7e posted:

3% looks like it may be interesting,. it's a dystopian sci fi series set in Brazil, where people get one chance to test out of a life of bondage and move up to the luxury class - but only 3% make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rvS7nX7pM

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/5/9100661/netflix-3-percent-original-programming-brazil

So it's El Hunger Games?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

magnificent7 posted:

So it's El Hunger Games?

Brazilians speak Portugese.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Love & Friendship and Complete Unknown were added to Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Friendship-Kate-Beckinsale/dp/B01F4CBBXI
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Rachel-Weisz/dp/B01K6HQDWK

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone PLEASE watch Angel Heart before it's gone, it's one of my top 5 films of all time. No joke.

e: Burn After Reading is like my third favorite Coen Bros. film after Inside Llewyn Davis (which is on Prime right now) and The Man Who Wasn't There

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

precision posted:

Everyone PLEASE watch Angel Heart before it's gone, it's one of my top 5 films of all time. No joke.

I hated this movie, but he's right. Check out Angel Heart. Super-divisive movie that tries something interesting. You're not going to feel lukewarm about it, I guarantee it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

precision posted:

e: Burn After Reading is like my third favorite Coen Bros. film after Inside Llewyn Davis (which is on Prime right now) and The Man Who Wasn't There

Dude have you seen Raising Arizona?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

a Hunger Gămes

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jogos do Hunger or whatever

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
With soundtrack by Seu Jorge

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Field Mousepad posted:

Dude have you seen Raising Arizona?

Too many times, same with Big Lebowski. I'd probably rate them bother higher on the Coen-O-Meter if I hadn't seen them dozens of times.

I think Raising Arizona is one of the only good films my parents ever rented, that and Repo Man.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

All great movies, but that has to be the most unusual list of favorite Coen movies that I've seen.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

Too many times, same with Big Lebowski. I'd probably rate them bother higher on the Coen-O-Meter if I hadn't seen them dozens of times.

I think Raising Arizona is one of the only good films my parents ever rented, that and Repo Man.

I remember our family watched Raising Arizona twice in a row during one rental, because we liked it so much. The only other movies we ever did that for was the original Dawn of the Dead and Bloodsport (my brother kicked my sister in the head after the second time trying to do some JCVD move).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

All great movies, but that has to be the most unusual list of favorite Coen movies that I've seen.

I don't know if it helps or makes it weirder that I almost put A Serious Man instead of The Man Who Wasn't There :v:

The Man Who Wasn't There is just so stylistically incredible and different to everything else they've done, and Inside Llewyn Davis was appealing to me in large part because of the subject matter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A Serious Man is great.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
A Serious Man is the best, correct.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

GorgonSmithe posted:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I am taking advantage of the new freedoms.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GorgonSmithe posted:

It's amazing to me that the Coens could make a film even bleaker than No Country For Old Men, but they did and it's a masterpiece

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

precision posted:

Angel Heart is really drat good with a great performance by Mickey Rourke and a memorable one by De Niro.

I also recommend the book, Falling Angel.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Serious question for other people who love A Serious Man: if you are not Jewish, what the hell does it all mean to you? I have trouble imagining how non-Jews relate to the film. I mean, the story and characters and stuff definitely work on their own, for sure, but there's such a heavy layer of culture/folklore/theology over the whole thing... :confused: :jewish:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

neonnoodle posted:

Serious question for other people who love A Serious Man: if you are not Jewish, what the hell does it all mean to you? I have trouble imagining how non-Jews relate to the film. I mean, the story and characters and stuff definitely work on their own, for sure, but there's such a heavy layer of culture/folklore/theology over the whole thing... :confused: :jewish:

My reading: Life is absurd and chaotic, despite our attempts to appeal to the idea of fate with attempts at faith and morality, with or withouy religion.

I remember reading an analysis that Larry is facing karmic retribution for an unfulfilled life. That since he has been a "luke-warm" man in all aspects of his life, God or Fate or whatever is changing his life despite his attempts at comfort and contentment, forcing him to make a decision about who he is instead of letting him be stagnant.

I really need to rewatch it, it's a great film.

Edit: To be fair, the religious aspects aren't exclusive to Jewish ideas. Many Christian denominations embrace Old Testament stories, or have celebratory acts for entering adulthood. The Yiddish folk tale at the beginning is really weird, but I think the rest is pretty relatable to most people exposed to religion, especially those familiar with stories of Job or Abraham.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 28, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

neonnoodle posted:

It was pitched to me as a retelling of The Book of Job, which I adore as a story despite being an atheist. That just made it even more disappointing when it came out like this:

Franchescanado posted:

I remember reading an analysis that Larry is facing karmic retribution for an unfulfilled life. That since he has been a "luke-warm" man in all aspects of his life, God or Fate or whatever is changing his life despite his attempts at comfort and contentment, forcing him to make a decision about who he is instead of letting him be stagnant.

... when as I see it, the whole point of Job is that he hasn't done anything wrong and that God's motives are inscrutable, that you have to decide for yourself if you're going to trust him despite the injustice of the world, and that claiming the world works according to karmic scales is blasphemous and hypocritical.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

El Hunger Games?

The poo poo Filled Bay?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

neonnoodle posted:

To be honest, like Barton Fink it's not a film I fully understand but I find it really entertaining and intriguing and fun to think about.

Honestly I walked out of the theater thinking " :wtf: did I just watch? That was really good though". The whole theater seemed pretty blindsided by it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah A Serious Man is one of those films that frustrated me endlessly on first viewing but every subsequent one has been great

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

When did Netflix lose Serenity? I finished my twice annual Firefly watch through the other day only to find that I couldn't cap it off with the movie on netflix anymore.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Really digging Hulu's original series Chance with Hugh Laurie. Ethan Suplee does really good work given the right material and he fits well here, and it's nice to see Paul Adelstein (Agent Kellerman from Prison Break) again. That dude plays a smarmy rear end in a top hat very well.
Like another poster said, go into it blind and don't expect anything like House.

The 3rd season of the Netflix original The Fall starts at 12:01AM Saturday, and even though I think it's a bit weak for the serial killer genre I do quite enjoy looking at Gillian Anderson.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 28, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

drunken officeparty posted:

When did Netflix lose Serenity? I finished my twice annual Firefly watch through the other day only to find that I couldn't cap it off with the movie on netflix anymore.

Four or five months ago. Netflix has been steadily reducing its licensing spend all year.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

precision posted:

The last time I rewatched it on Netflix I wound up reading this pretty interesting albeit long-rear end article about its filming (I might've found it through this forum, so hopefully I'm not linking something everyone has already read). If you don't want to read 11000 words about Angel Heart you should at least skim it for the photography because it's beautiful:

http://www.cinephiliabeyond.org/alan-parkers-angel-heart-astonishing-hell/

many spoilers, obviously, so see the movie first!

edit:

quote:

Mickey, congenitally scruffy, has the rare ability to make the most elegant suit look like a discarded potato sack

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 29, 2016

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

For years, it's been nigh unpossible to find Plastic Utopia anywhere. You probably weren't even looking for it. But here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSSUXwviFqw

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 30, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sick. Thanks for this!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

precision posted:

Looking at the description and I am definitely watching this tonight. Do you have other gritty crime dramas that are off the beaten path I can watch too?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Angel Heart has been a favorite of mine since I saw it in the theater in '87 and it does indeed kick rear end. My favorite experience about that film was when one night at Blockbuster I convinced one of my super duper exceedingly evangelical Christian friends (I've been an atheist all my life) that it was a rom-com and that she would love it.
She flipped out at the first sight of Louis Cypher and didn't speak to me for a month. She still brings it up almost 30 years later but laughs about it now. Yes I was am an rear end in a top hat.

So yeah, watch that poo poo. Lisa Bonet so hot.

Seriously though, it is a really good film and Mickey Rourke is exceptional. In my English class in college I brought up the fan motif that is prevalent throughout the film and we all spent a couple of days talking about it. I'm totally going to read that 11000 word essay about it that someone linked earlier in the thread.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 31, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
William Kelly's War is on Amazing Prime right now, and it's a surprisingly good - if sometimes noticeably low budget - WWI movie about the sons of a small Australian outback town who go off to fight in WWI while things fall apart at home. Only half of it takes place during the war and despite the medium-level acting and limited set budgets, it's pretty dang fun.

edit: also The Veteran is on Prime for free as well, and if you haven't seen that movie then you should do yourself a favor and watch it. Toby Kebbell is one of my favorite actors - the punk rock star with a penchant for No. 2 pencils from rock n rolla, the little brother from Dead Man's Shoes - and The Veteran is a pretty satisfying action crime film which felt a bit like a Korean action movie.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Sorry for the double post but I had no idea this was available online anywhere for free anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Mutant-Chronicles-Thomas-Jane/dp/B008P3G3KU/ref=sr_1_17?s=instant-video&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1477878477&sr=1-17