Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Anaxite posted:

It's funny how, hearing that cutscene in English and seeing the Archive name, Umi-gaeri sounds kind of weird and ominous.

Meanwhile it's a lot more straightforward in Japanese, "Sea change/substitution" or some permutation thereof. Which doesn't explain everything, but it's a lot more straightforward.
Are you sure it's not 海帰り, "returning to the ocean"? I thought it might have been 生み変えり, too, or roughly "transformed birth".

Either way, the British accent slaughters the pronunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
It's 海還り, meaning "to return from the ocean".

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

And More posted:

Since we've now reached the part where people are actually dying, would you please not spoil who makes it to the end? It gets less tense once you know who's got plot armor.

I'm sorry, I thought I had been sufficiently vague for it to not be a spoiler. I didn't intend to spoil things.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It was vague enough, but I understand why people would want it cut out.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Hirayuki posted:

Are you sure it's not 海帰り, "returning to the ocean"? I thought it might have been 生み変えり, too, or roughly "transformed birth".

Either way, the British accent slaughters the pronunciation.

Quite possible! I've been wrong before.

VoodooXT posted:

And there it is, I was really missing something. I was wrong and it's much more interesting to consider the event with these possible confusions.

At least until the archive title pops up.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

Esoteric Banana posted:

Cool Grandpa gets to shoot anyone he wants.

Including himself I guess.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Esoteric Banana posted:

Including himself I guess.

Solid avatar for that remark.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

In Mandarin, 海 is normally used in connection with the literal ocean, but, perhaps appropriate to its use here, it can also refer to a huge capacity or quantity, especially of people.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

RoeCocoa posted:

In Mandarin, 海 is normally used in connection with the literal ocean, but, perhaps appropriate to its use here, it can also refer to a huge capacity or quantity, especially of people.
I don't think it has that use in Japanese, it's reserved for the sea and concepts related to the sea. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, 海還り means poo poo's going down.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Shoeless posted:

I'm sorry, I thought I had been sufficiently vague for it to not be a spoiler. I didn't intend to spoil things.

People always think this and they are always wrong

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

I know it's very tempting to get all cute and coy with your kinda-spoilers-but-not-really, but it's best to resist the urge and just shut up about anything that happens beyond what we've seen so far altogether. I wish I could've gone into the game completely blind myself back when I played it.

Well maybe not completely blind because it was a good thing to be mentally prepared for the gameplay, but on the story department, yeah.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Snoop Radley posted:

I know it's very tempting to get all cute and coy with your kinda-spoilers-but-not-really, but it's best to resist the urge and just shut up about anything that happens beyond what we've seen so far altogether. I wish I could've gone into the game completely blind myself back when I played it.

Well maybe not completely blind because it was a good thing to be mentally prepared for the gameplay, but on the story department, yeah.

I was hardly being cute and coy. But I can't really defend myself over this without restating the thing that's made some people upset, so catch 22!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In your defense, Shoeless, I read your post and didn't even register you were hinting at spoilers. Maybe I wasn't really paying attention! But it didn't set off any alarm bells.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Shoeless posted:

I was hardly being cute and coy. But I can't really defend myself over this without restating the thing that's made some people upset, so catch 22!
Sorry, I wasn't really taking a shot at you specifically. It's just that you do see a lot of people prance around spoilers in conversations like this and sometimes it's hard to tell if they're being sincerely oblivious or trying to get away with poo poo and kind of... passive-aggressively spoiling things, you know? But it's cool. No hard feelings!

So how about that 海還り, huh? :unsmigghh:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

marshmallow creep posted:

In your defense, Shoeless, I read your post and didn't even register you were hinting at spoilers. Maybe I wasn't really paying attention! But it didn't set off any alarm bells.

yeah it was fine, but let's just move on.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

At the end of the latest NightCry video, I was expecting to hear Bully Demise's theme song added to Scissorwalker's dramatic entrance. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get that, but the Clock Tower music was certainly a major improvement.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Snoop Radley posted:

Sorry, I wasn't really taking a shot at you specifically. It's just that you do see a lot of people prance around spoilers in conversations like this and sometimes it's hard to tell if they're being sincerely oblivious or trying to get away with poo poo and kind of... passive-aggressively spoiling things, you know? But it's cool. No hard feelings!

So how about that 海還り, huh? :unsmigghh:

No hard feelings, and thank you for saying that.

So, right. I guess the Hanuda religion/culture has some kind of ceremony or something involving wading into a body of water? Is that maybe what Akira was referring to when he said it was a custom?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Honestly, given the commentary about hidden Christian converts in Japan helping inform their cultural stereotypes of 'weird hidden cultists', the similarity to baptism imagery in Christianity is striking to me. May just be coincidence; I hardly claim to be an expert.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I remember hearing about Siren like a decade ago when I was really into the first few Silent Hill entries, but for some reason I never played it. The sightjacking mechanic is really cool and drives home that you're constantly hunted. The way the enemies go through these perverse imitations of everyday life is very creepy, and the game really lays on the dread and never lets up. While I'm sure the insane side objectives would infuriate me if I was actually playing the game, the insanity of these "puzzles" is a nice weird capstone on Siren's strange and oppressive atmosphere.

I just watched the levels with the shibito brain and crawling shibito and :stare:. That quick sightjacking shot of a flying shibito where you can vaguely see a crawling one scittering is some nightmare fuel.

As for the elementary school, it's kinda neat that it's just like the one from Silent Hill, minus the Kindergarten Cop veneer. And I know it's an "easy" dynamic to get the pathos going, but there's something about an elementary school teacher risking her life to protect a student that just punches you in the gut and makes the world of Siren all the more bleak and horrible.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 2, 2016

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.32 - Time Limit! Part 3

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I propose we begin calling Akira shooting himself with his rifle "The Shot Heard Round Hanuda" since its now been in two levels.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
gotta get dat money

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
My interpretation of that scene is that shibito going, oh no some rear end in a top hat just knocked over the offering, gotta fix it quick before the gods gets pissed off. Although, what's one more curse if you're already a shibito.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

davidHalestorm posted:

My interpretation of that scene is that shibito going, oh no some rear end in a top hat just knocked over the offering, gotta fix it quick before the gods gets pissed off. Although, what's one more curse if you're already a shibito.

Well let's actually unpack this shibito stuff from what we've seen. All I've ever seen of this game is what SGF has shown so far.

These fuckers aren't like, completely mindless zombies. The "regular" shibito all seem to have these tasks they're set to perform. We've seen them boarding up houses and poo poo for... some reason that we aren't really privy to, and they're definitely guarding poo poo around town. So I guess it would make sense they'd have this instinct to like, maintain the shrine that's part of their religion too?

As far as I can tell tho, the regular shibito don't really seem have a lot of agency and they're not very smart (they don't seem to be bright enough to turn the corner past the last place they saw the player), but they're definitely capable of basic human tasks. Whether they have any understanding of what they're doing is kind of up in the air still though.

Like, the main thing I'm super curious about now is why the hell everything is getting boarded up and secured. The town's already cut off from the rest of the world, what's the point? What are they preparing the town for?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
There are more differences between versions. Tomoko is 14 in the Japanese version, IIRC; and I believe Harumi was also aged a year or two for international audiences.
There's also another thing I found strange, but I'm not a native speaker so I might be wrong. The translation seems to mix American and British English (none of the English people I talk to on a daily basis say trunk or mailbox).

Spermando fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 4, 2016

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I honestly thought it was a reference to a myth where you should throw a bunch of rice in front of the undead because they have to stop to count every grain. Do the same with coins--they gotta stop to count it.

Also I'm not sure my heart wouldn't have collapsed if I were the not-shibito twin.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I've always been curious how real life people would react to the insanely lovely situations of horror movies and games. There are a million obvious examples of people doing stupid things, or being weirdly stoic, but I feel like IRL there would be a lot more fainting/bodily releases.

Wait, can people faint from being scared?

FelicityGS posted:

I honestly thought it was a reference to a myth where you should throw a bunch of rice in front of the undead because they have to stop to count every grain. Do the same with coins--they gotta stop to count it.

Also I'm not sure my heart wouldn't have collapsed if I were the not-shibito twin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azot-mIuW3Y

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

The concept of money holding such sway over me once I'm (un)dead is actually the scariest idea that this game suggests.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shirec posted:

I've always been curious how real life people would react to the insanely lovely situations of horror movies and games. There are a million obvious examples of people doing stupid things, or being weirdly stoic, but I feel like IRL there would be a lot more fainting/bodily releases.

Wait, can people faint from being scared?

I've had panic attacks before and you can certainly start to feel close to it. I've never actually fainted but your heart-rate spiking and breathing getting erratic can certainly make you light headed and uncoordinated.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Well let's actually unpack this shibito stuff from what we've seen. All I've ever seen of this game is what SGF has shown so far.

These fuckers aren't like, completely mindless zombies. The "regular" shibito all seem to have these tasks they're set to perform. We've seen them boarding up houses and poo poo for... some reason that we aren't really privy to, and they're definitely guarding poo poo around town. So I guess it would make sense they'd have this instinct to like, maintain the shrine that's part of their religion too?

As far as I can tell tho, the regular shibito don't really seem have a lot of agency and they're not very smart (they don't seem to be bright enough to turn the corner past the last place they saw the player), but they're definitely capable of basic human tasks. Whether they have any understanding of what they're doing is kind of up in the air still though.

Like, the main thing I'm super curious about now is why the hell everything is getting boarded up and secured. The town's already cut off from the rest of the world, what's the point? What are they preparing the town for?

Maybe they're just renovating the village up, now that you're an undead you have all the time in the world for some construction work :v:

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Spermando posted:

There are more differences between versions. Tomoko is 14 in the Japanese version, IIRC; and I believe Harumi was also aged a year or two for international audiences.
You're right about Tomoko; Kyoya was also aged up from 16 to 18. And I think they might've only done it for the American release and not the European one, although I'm not sure and I can't check my European copy right now.

I think Harumi's age might've been left alone. I don't remember if you see SGF failing in his videos of the school stage, but Harumi doesn't actually have a death animation like the other characters do. If a shibito gets too close to her, she cowers and that's it, game over (add to that the fact that the stage is really cramped and you can see why so many players find it so painful). If you gently caress up, you don't see her repeatedly pummeled to death the way like you do with Tomoko and Kyoya, so there's already a degree of censorship in place there.

Edit: V whoops :kiddo:

Snoop Radley fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 5, 2016

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Snoop Radley posted:

If you gently caress up, you don't see her repeatedly plummeted to death the way like you do with Tomoko and Kyoya, so there's already a degree of censorship in place there.

The mental image of an elementary school student being lobbed off of the school roof over and over is far more amusing than it should be.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

I've had panic attacks before and you can certainly start to feel close to it. I've never actually fainted but your heart-rate spiking and breathing getting erratic can certainly make you light headed and uncoordinated.

I can flat out faint. Have it happen a couple of times a year.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

No Gravitas posted:

I can flat out faint. Have it happen a couple of times a year.

I'm sorry that happened to you, that sucks. I've yet to faint in my life and I'm hoping to avoid it. Most of the time I've seen it has been at blood donation events.

davidHalestorm posted:

Maybe they're just renovating the village up, now that you're an undead you have all the time in the world for some construction work :v:

Even better than the ones boarding up the windows are the gardening ones :allears:

These years blooms are coming in lovely, I'm sure to win at the Summer Festival
Oda-san will finally know the taste of defeat
hehehehehehehhehehehehe

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

In the hospital, they boarded up the women's restroom stalls, but not the men's. My current thought is that they are trying to avoid untainted water for some reason (other than forcing the still living to drink the red water).

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Every single one of them are actually really psyched to finally get to work on all these fixerer-upper properties they've been too busy to tend to before now. Windows are so last season, two by fours are in this year.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Turns out it's all an allegory for preserving our remote villages before gentrification hits them.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

FelicityGS posted:

There's a similar myth with vampires and matchsticks. I wasn't sure if it was that kind of situation, the shibito being greedy, or the shibito being pious and trying to fix the shrine. They all have horrible implications, really.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Turns out it's all an allegory for preserving our remote villages before gentrification hits them.

No, they are actually helping scissorwalker catch victims by blocking up escape routes and hiding spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Awwww, undead hugs. Adorable!

• Locked thread