Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

They should call this a bucky-bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CellBlock posted:

They should call this a bucky-bomb.

I don't see how this links to communism or the MCU :v:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Polynitro[60]fullerene has 14 nitros.

I wonder if they could add more nitros to it. Or perhaps a few azides.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There are a lot of situations in radiation science where particles that are identical are classified differently based on source. Beta particles are distinct from electrons fired from an accelerator and both are distinct from delta rays which are secondary electrons knocked off by charged particle collisions. They're all free electrons moving at high speeds but they're classified differently due to the source. Same deal for ionized hydrogen versus ejected protons and ionized helium versus alpha particles.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Should there then be a different distinction/classification on the Electromagnetic Spectrum than X-Ray/Gamma Ray for certain frequency ranges?

Like, we don't care if radar is coming from a human contraption or the night sky, it's still radar waves.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Maxwells Demon posted:

Should there then be a different distinction/classification on the Electromagnetic Spectrum than X-Ray/Gamma Ray for certain frequency ranges?

Like, we don't care if radar is coming from a human contraption or the night sky, it's still radar waves.

Radio. But yeah, good point.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think a lot of these distinctions came about before people knew they were the same thing, like how alpha particles were discovered via study of radioisotopes and helium was discovered via spectral analysis of the sun and they were only determined to be the same thing later. Or how delta rays were named during visual observations of cloud chambers before they were known to necessarily be electrons. I don't know the history of x-rays versus gamma rays but I wouldn't be surprised if the distinction was far more solid before high-energy particle physics experiments happened or before weak gamma emitters were discovered.

edit: there's actually a lot of stuff in this field that was grandfathered in from early science that never got superseded when new discoveries were made, but no one is in a rush to update things because everyone knows what you mean when you use the terminology or concepts and they're good enough in any case

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Oct 28, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

ionized helium versus alpha particles.

If your beryllium-8 splits, which is which???

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Oct 28, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tunicate posted:

Time to ask a philosopher

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

zedprime posted:

I think the velocity of detonation remark is that you are exploding so good, blue shift is turning boring EMR into exciting EMR. Not sure of the magnitudes involved to know if it'd be possible to look at classically or needs to be relativistic to get it shifted so far.

Yup
Thats what i meant.

Gonna start using "youre exploding so good"

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Tunicate posted:

Beryllium-8 is actually incredibly unstable. It completely destroys itself but gives off two Alpha particles.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Beryllium itself isn't particularly good for you either.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Here's something for somebody bored with access to lit databases, or maybe being familiar with off hand considering this thread. Synthesizing buckyballs with things inside seems to have become something of a trend. Has anyone gotten something explodey inside one and exploded it?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

zedprime posted:

Here's something for somebody bored with access to lit databases, or maybe being familiar with off hand considering this thread. Synthesizing buckyballs with things inside seems to have become something of a trend. Has anyone gotten something explodey inside one and exploded it?

There was something upthread about a buckyball of nitrogens instead of carbons if that is sufficient to terrify you?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

crazypeltast52 posted:

There was something upthread about a buckyball of nitrogens instead of carbons if that is sufficient to terrify you?
No no you misunderstand. Physically conjugated within a buckyball, not just some interesting shape with nitrogen bonds.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Beryllium itself isn't particularly good for you either.

Yeah beryllium is in the class of materials that have all sorts of useful scientific properties (in this case for use as a neutron shield/moderator/reflector or as a window for x-ray tubes or proportional detector tubes), but are also so nasty to humans that you need a really good reason to justify the use. Lead is kind of in that category but isn't quite as "gently caress you up for life" as beryllium dust is.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

*quietly shelves plans for beryllium hydride fuelled nuclear rocket*

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I feel like putting something explosive inside a buckyball of nitrogens would probably make it *more* stable, because if there's anything I've learned about chemistry and physics from this thread, it's that the universe is a twisted loving entity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your microwave oven has beryllium in it right now!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Platystemon posted:

Your microwave oven has beryllium in it right now!

It's also a pretty good reason to be pretty careful if you decide to take out the magnetron for whatever reason.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

So how much beryllium dust have the Kreosan guys breathed in by now?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's only a danger if you chip the beryllium ceramic insulator on the antenna, but given their nihilistic regard for safety I'm kind of worried for them.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah beryllium is in the class of materials that have all sorts of useful scientific properties (in this case for use as a neutron shield/moderator/reflector or as a window for x-ray tubes or proportional detector tubes), but are also so nasty to humans that you need a really good reason to justify the use. Lead is kind of in that category but isn't quite as "gently caress you up for life" as beryllium dust is.

My dad probably got hosed up by beryllium dust, but it was for a good reason.. he made some wheel part for a lunar rover. The tolerances were so tight that he had to pour liquid nitrogen on it to get it out of the die. That shrank the part enough to pull it out, but he only had a few seconds before the mold shrank too and he'd have to wait for the whole thing to warm up and try it again. The next Apollo mission was stressful for him, because if the rover busted a wheel it might be his fault.

He was a tool & die maker in the 70s and 80s and I'd planned on posting some of his stories in the OSHA thread. The beryllium probably wasn't even a major culprit.. at the end of every shift he and his co-workers would gather around a big bucket of "methyl" to wash their hands, which I assume was methanol, but might have been something worse. He nearly passed out a few times from methyl ethyl ketone fumes, they used it a lot. He brought home a small jar to use as model glue, it worked great and smelled kinda nice, fruity, and probably gave me some brain damage too.

I'd like to see what other stories he has involving alarmingly toxic metals and compounds. In old machine shops, all the fear was directed towards the machines themselves, some of which were still powered by open belt drives, but that's for the OSHA thread.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I seem to recall there are tools made of beryllium (or an alloy?) for use around large magnets... not toxic enough to prefer to lose fingers between your wrench and your experiment I guess.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Every morning when I wake up, I say a quick prayer to the aviation gods to thank them for finally allowing carbon brake disc technology to mature. The Navy planes I worked on back in the early 90s all had beryllium discs. Yeah, no dust hazard there at all! *cough*

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Beryllium has to get into your body first to do any harm. Dusts really easy to breathe in but it's going no where stuck in any alloy.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Base Emitter posted:

I seem to recall there are tools made of beryllium (or an alloy?) for use around large magnets... not toxic enough to prefer to lose fingers between your wrench and your experiment I guess.

Beryllium copper hammers are non-magnetic and sparkless, so they're used in environments with flammable hazards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Beryllium copper tools aren’t uncommon. They’re not that bad as long as you know what they are and don’t grind on them.

Beryllium oxide insulators are found in a lot of vacuum tubes, by the way, it’s just that microwave ovens contain the only vacuum tubes you’re likely to find in a modern home.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Syd Midnight posted:

at the end of every shift he and his co-workers would gather around a big bucket of "methyl" to wash their hands, which I assume was methanol, but might have been something worse. He nearly passed out a few times from methyl ethyl ketone fumes, they used it a lot. He brought home a small jar to use as model glue, it worked great and smelled kinda nice, fruity, and probably gave me some brain damage too.

MEK really isn't all that bad for you, the reason it's been phased out is because of limits on VOC emissions as pollutants causing ground-level smog and ozone . In terms of its toxicity, workplace exposure, etc, it's pretty benign.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Beryllium-aluminum alloys are super awesome for motorsports parts as well but are generally not allowed anymore (and are really expensive). I think mostly due to safety issues with manufacturing, but when you blow a beryllium piston out the exhaust pipe it's probably not good for anyone in the area.

jamal has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Oct 29, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a shame DU keels were banned.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hremsfeld posted:

Beryllium-8 is actually incredibly unstable. It completely destroys itself but gives off two Alpha particles.

Would you call this reaction alpha decay or spontaneous nuclear fission? Think about it.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

I still want to know how the gently caress they still have an intact TGA (a very accurate balance inside a controlled furnace). I would imagine that they have to buy a new one every year at least.

Kinetica has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Oct 29, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Platystemon posted:

Beryllium copper tools aren’t uncommon. They’re not that bad as long as you know what they are and don’t grind on them.

Beryllium oxide insulators are found in a lot of vacuum tubes, by the way, it’s just that microwave ovens contain the only vacuum tubes you’re likely to find in a modern home.

what tubes other than high-voltage RF poo poo contain beryllium oxide? I haven't seen anything pink in anything that's not a magnetron.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

atomicthumbs posted:

what tubes other than high-voltage RF poo poo contain beryllium oxide? I haven't seen anything pink in anything that's not a magnetron.

Soviet factories put it seemingly everywhere, like this Nixie tube:

Those strike at 170 V, so I can’t imagine why it would be necessary.

You’re probably right about Western consumer electronics, though. I’m going to be honest; those aren’t as interesting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So which is worse, beryllium or selenium?

I mean besides the ultralow doses where selenium is necessary to live and beryllium isn't

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Selenium makes your fish look like this:

which is pretty cool.

The best beryllium can do is make your golf clubs look dope:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are those for golfing next to gas leaks or something?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Don't some selenium compounds make your sense of taste / smell like living death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Golfers are as bad as audiophiles.

It’s all about that soft “feel”, apparently.

Beryllium is, completely coincidentally I’m sure, the material of choice for high‐end tweeters.