Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Reread his comment. He let off the gas at 55mph and was going 25mph by the time the time he could move into his turn. That's the bullshit. Again, the other driver is 100% at fault for starting poo poo, but don't keep slowing down to teach someone a lesson. It's stupid as all gently caress to slow down to an unreasonable speed just cause you were offended by some tailgating.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My pet peeve is that it's going to be 86 loving degrees on Halloween where I live. That's way too warm. I've always loved this part of the year because it was crisp and cool. It still gets pretty chilly at night but the days are too drat warm. Granted I live in Georgia and it never gets very cold, but it should still be 10 to 15 degrees cooler than it is.

Last year it was 75 degrees on loving Christmas. It actually freaked me out.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Blue Star posted:

My pet peeve is that it's going to be 86 loving degrees on Halloween where I live. That's way too warm. I've always loved this part of the year because it was crisp and cool. It still gets pretty chilly at night but the days are too drat warm. Granted I live in Georgia and it never gets very cold, but it should still be 10 to 15 degrees cooler than it is.

It will be slightly above freezing with drizzle on Halloween here in Alberta. I will trade you in a heartbeat.

At least we don't have to make the costumes big enough to fit over snowsuits the last few years.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Blue Star posted:

Happy Halloween from Canada!

Edit: beaten, sorta

KoB
May 1, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

Am I a bad person for explicitly taking my foot off the gas if someone does this to me while I'm already speeding? Going 10-15 over, and they apparently want to do like 30 over instead.

Once I had a guy so close to me that my rear view mirror was only catching his windshield and no other part of his car. At 55 mph. I let off of the gas and made him suffer, and he stayed behind me and suffered even though he could have whipped around me. We were down to maybe 25 by the time I had to get into my turn lane.

Why is your speeding somehow better than another guy's speeding?

Just move aside at let them go past.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

KoB posted:

Why is your speeding somehow better than another guy's speeding?

Just move aside at let them go past.

You can ask the same question about the other guy - what makes their time so important that being a careless, reckless, egotistical rear end in a top hat tailgater is OK?

The answer is "nothing" because most of the time it's some pushy assbag in a pickup/SUV that thinks they own the road and everyone should move for them regardless. Or it's some Fast n Furious wanna-be idiot trying to race his shitbox Hyundai against his buddy and now he's all mad because you're in his way, boo loving hoo. I'm not justifying anything anyone does or doesn't do, but personally I don't give a rat's rear end if someone wants to ride my bumper, especially if I'm already going over the limit, and it goes double for multi-lane roads where they could easily pass and choose not to.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If you slow down but are still going at or above the speed limit, it's entirely the other driver's fault if they hit you. He didn't brake-check him, which is pretty obnoxious, he just said he slowed down. The only one making the road unsafe in the described scenario is the guy speeding and tailgating. I personally wouldn't want to risk an accident just to make a point, but it's still completely on the other driver to follow at a safe distance. Normally in those situations I just move to the right and let them pass (assuming a 3 lane highway and I'm in the middle), but unfortunately a lot of times when you go to try this they suddenly swerve and pass you on the right.

The fact that it would be the other driver's fault still doesn't mean it's a good idea to create a situation with a somewhat higher chance of an accident.

There are only a few things that make me really angry while driving. I'm generally very forgiving because I tend to make a lot of dumb mistakes too (like mistakenly cutting someone off because I didn't notice them or something) and I'm willing to give other drivers the benefit of the doubt. The things that make me angry are the ones that require some conscious decision on the part of the driver and make no sense at all. The aforementioned "people driving 10+ miles below the speed limit" is one of those things. There is almost never an excuse for that, especially if you're on a major street (as opposed to a side street where they might be looking for a house or something). It's just baffling, because I can't think of a reason why someone would do it. At least for something like tailgating I can understand the mindset that makes people do it (being in a rush or something), but I can' t understand what would make someone drive 10-20mph below the speed limit on a major thoroughfare. That's not a "spur of the moment" sort of mistake (like missing the light changing at an intersection) and requires the person to consciously decide "yes, I will drive very slow, this is a good idea."

All this being said, I notice that about 50% of the time the people who drive slow like this are geriatrics who shouldn't be driving in the first place. I'm kind of conflicted on how I feel about those people driving. On one hand they have no business driving and are putting everyone else in danger, but on the other hand many people are forced to drive due to their personal circumstances (no family around, can't afford an assisted living center, no reasonable public transportation). I think most of the time it is just the fact that they don't want to stop driving, though; my late grandpa was like this, and would insist on driving despite clearly not being up to the task.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Don't spite-drive, it's frustrating and dangerous for the other drivers, and doesn't make the bad driver change their habits.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah, if you don't like how close someone is following I think tapping the brakes a little to let em know is fine. But just lifting off the throttle give no obvious indication that you're slowing down and they might not notice until it's too late. Will they be at fault? Yep. Might you still be paralyzed for life because of the accident? Yeah, maybe.

I personally don't think it's worth the risk when you already suspect the person is driving like an rear end in a top hat.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Everyone complaining about being sick. Why didn't you get a flu shot you stupid stupid stupid stupid stupids. I've been around 50+ of you, closeley, and hundreds of you on public transport, and haven't gotten a sniffle. you are so dumb and I hate you

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Oct 28, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Slower traffic move right. If you're done passing, move right. Spitefully hogging the passing lane in order to feel good about yourself and your small penis accomplishes nothing and endangers the lives of people around you. That's why you can get pulled over in several states for driving the speed limit in the passing lane - the entire system is designed to have drivers pass in the passing lane, and by being a spiteful little dick, you both simultaneously gently caress up the system and create opportunities for people to die/get seriously maimed by other spiteful dipshits like yourself.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Some states (like here in Oregon) don't actually require people to take driver's ed. All you if you're over 18 years old is pass the written and driving test and you're good to go. They are absolutely not going to test you on freeway etiquette during the driving test and there might be a single question on it during the written. And even if they do require it driver's ed, most programs are absolute poo poo and probably won't cover it. I know the class I went to didn't cover that kind of thing.

I'd say a solid majority of people I've bitched to about people hogging the passing lane just look at me confused about what I'm talking about because they've never heard of a passing lane. If you're lucky people might understand the concept of a fast lane. God help you if you try to explain why it's actually correct to merge relatively late when your lane is ending and traffic is slow.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
It's the best when there's signs on both sides every couple of miles "LEFT LANE IS PASSING LANE SLOWER TRAFFIC MOVE RIGHT"

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

The fact that it would be the other driver's fault still doesn't mean it's a good idea to create a situation with a somewhat higher chance of an accident.

There are only a few things that make me really angry while driving. I'm generally very forgiving because I tend to make a lot of dumb mistakes too (like mistakenly cutting someone off because I didn't notice them or something) and I'm willing to give other drivers the benefit of the doubt. The things that make me angry are the ones that require some conscious decision on the part of the driver and make no sense at all. The aforementioned "people driving 10+ miles below the speed limit" is one of those things. There is almost never an excuse for that, especially if you're on a major street (as opposed to a side street where they might be looking for a house or something). It's just baffling, because I can't think of a reason why someone would do it. At least for something like tailgating I can understand the mindset that makes people do it (being in a rush or something), but I can' t understand what would make someone drive 10-20mph below the speed limit on a major thoroughfare. That's not a "spur of the moment" sort of mistake (like missing the light changing at an intersection) and requires the person to consciously decide "yes, I will drive very slow, this is a good idea."

All this being said, I notice that about 50% of the time the people who drive slow like this are geriatrics who shouldn't be driving in the first place. I'm kind of conflicted on how I feel about those people driving. On one hand they have no business driving and are putting everyone else in danger, but on the other hand many people are forced to drive due to their personal circumstances (no family around, can't afford an assisted living center, no reasonable public transportation). I think most of the time it is just the fact that they don't want to stop driving, though; my late grandpa was like this, and would insist on driving despite clearly not being up to the task.

The only time in my life I've ever gotten screaming mad with anybody was the night I was driving home on back roads from the grocery store and I got stuck behind a car that was going 18 miles an hour in 45 zone. I know exactly what they would have given as their excuse -- that they were uncomfortable driving on winding back roads with no streetlights any faster than that :kiddo: -- but motherfucker if you are that uncomfortable you need to stop driving until you get your poo poo together or die.

Like, they were braking while going up hills. What kind of fuckery.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Inspector 34 posted:

I'd say a solid majority of people I've bitched to about people hogging the passing lane just look at me confused about what I'm talking about because they've never heard of a passing lane. If you're lucky people might understand the concept of a fast lane. God help you if you try to explain why it's actually correct to merge relatively late when your lane is ending and traffic is slow.

In Colorado we have signs that tell people to keep right unless passing (because technically it's the law in Colorado, not that cops ever enforce it), and still at least 50% of the time when I pass someone putzing along in the left lane and honk at them they look at me like they have no clue that they're doing something wrong. For some reasons Prius drivers are the worst offenders. :iiam:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Thin Privilege posted:

Everyone complaining about being sick. Why didn't you get a flu shot you stupid stupid stupid stupid stupids. I've been around 50+ of you, closeley, and hundreds of you on public transport, and haven't gotten a sniffle. you are so dumb and I hate you

A few years ago they were saying that only certain people in very particular public-facing jobs should get the vaccine to avoid forcing the flu to mutate to something that would get all of us dead, and then a couple years after that they changed it to saying everyone should get it but there were shortages so once again only people in certain positions in life should get it, and NOW it's "everyone over 6 months unless you have immunodeficiency" but I had to google it to look that up. I feel like the CDC isn't communicating to the general public on this issue as well as they could be given that the standards have evidently changed

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Noctone posted:

In Colorado we have signs that tell people to keep right unless passing (because technically it's the law in Colorado, not that cops ever enforce it), and still at least 50% of the time when I pass someone putzing along in the left lane and honk at them they look at me like they have no clue that they're doing something wrong. For some reasons Prius drivers are the worst offenders. :iiam:

I'm the rear end in a top hat in the Prius passing you on the right because you're the rear end in a top hat in the Camry going 45 in the passing lane (everyone else is doing it too and you're either too smug to care or too oblivious to notice). Not you personally, of course. This is why I only get 43 mpg.

I believe in California there are no actual "passing lane" laws, although there are those "slower traffic keep right" signs all over the freeway. It's infuriating. Traffic is so bad here that people get on the freeway, hustle to get into the far left lane to avoid merging traffic, then camp out there going any old speed they want, ignoring faster drivers coming up behind them. It's really loving unsafe, exacerbates road rage in already tenuous traffic patterns, and infuriates people who are then tempted to swerve in and out of traffic at unsafe speeds.

These are also the oblivious goobers who derp around and change lanes using their mirrors only, and hit or nearly hit motorcyclists who are lane-splitting (which is legal here, and usually done safely in my experience).

Just--if you're going slower, get in the right lane! It's not that hard, the speed demon behind you gets off your rear end, it's safer, and reduces road rage! What is with these smug assholes who camp out in the left lane and endangering everyone around them?!

See also: guy on side street who pulls out in front of me, misjudges the distance, and can't get up to speed before I'm right up his rear end. Hit the gas if you're going to cut it that close! Otherwise, wait for a bigger gap!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
On a two-lane road, I'm on whatever lane I need to be for whatever turn I'm eventually going to do. If someone gets upset that I'm going the flow of traffic (read: the speed everyone else and I are going), they're going to get upset when I inevitably slow down to make the turn, so I'm not super concerned about the speeding person feels.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I think we're basically all talking in the context of freeways and multi-lane roads where there is a dedicated left-turn lane. If you're slowing down with your turn signal on, and the guy behind you has an aneurysm over it, I think we can all agree that is his problem, not yours.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
While we're on a driving tangent, I really don't understand why it's so difficult for people to use turn lanes properly, or not turn left where there is no turn lane and solid double yellow lines.

In my town there is a major intersection with a JoAnn's Fabrics on one corner. There are two entries to the parking lot. People only ever use one of them, which sucks because they end up stopped in the only lane of traffic, waiting for an opportunity to turn left across solid double yellow lines to get into the lot. So traffic backs up through the light because of one idiot trying to buy some puff paint or bedazzlers or something. The other entrance to the lot is slightly further from the store entrance, but it's a right hand turn from a lane that ends half a block down anyway, so there's never anybody in that lane. From one direction you just go through the light and turn right. From the other direction you turn left at the light then turn right. So easy, but nope, people gotta block traffic to make an illegal left hand turn into this goddamn place.

A couple blocks over from there is a 2 lane road with an actual turn lane in the center. Do people use the turn lane? NOPE! They stop in the goddamn driving lane and wait for an opportunity to turn left. WTF!?

These two places just baffle me every single day since they're on my route to work. Nowhere else in all my travels have I seen two places where people just don't get it on such a consistent basis. If this only happened once in a while at either of these places I could probably just chalk it up to a couple idiots, but this is every single day with nearly every single person turning into these couple of parking lots.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Inspector 34 posted:

Some states (like here in Oregon) don't actually require people to take driver's ed. All you if you're over 18 years old is pass the written and driving test and you're good to go. They are absolutely not going to test you on freeway etiquette during the driving test and there might be a single question on it during the written. And even if they do require it driver's ed, most programs are absolute poo poo and probably won't cover it. I know the class I went to didn't cover that kind of thing.

Iowa requires driver's ed and I don't notice people here driving any better than in Missouri, where I had lived for the past twenty years, which does not require driver's ed. In fact, in the town I live in, they're worse. No turn signals, confusion at 4-way stops, driving extremely slow.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Since we're on a driving tangent, one of my pet peeves is people who don't know how to merge. I live in a rural area with several roads ending in the highway. Those lanes have right/left hand turn lanes that go with traffic and have a long lane for speeding up to get into traffic. drat near every time I take this road, I see idiots sitting in this turn lane, completely stopped, waiting for a clear enough stretch of traffic to simply turn into the lane. The whole loving point of the lane you're sitting in is to accelerate to highway speeds to get into traffic. If you don't merge at the speed of traffic, you're a danger to yourself and others around you. That's the whole point of on-ramps - hit the loving gas (the pedal on the right) and GO.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

A White Guy posted:

Since we're on a driving tangent, one of my pet peeves is people who don't know how to merge. I live in a rural area with several roads ending in the highway. Those lanes have right/left hand turn lanes that go with traffic and have a long lane for speeding up to get into traffic. drat near every time I take this road, I see idiots sitting in this turn lane, completely stopped, waiting for a clear enough stretch of traffic to simply turn into the lane. The whole loving point of the lane you're sitting in is to accelerate to highway speeds to get into traffic. If you don't merge at the speed of traffic, you're a danger to yourself and others around you. That's the whole point of on-ramps - hit the loving gas (the pedal on the right) and GO.

I'm from a city where people like to honk at stupid small poo poo and I am cool and nice and don't do that because I am not an rear end. I would honk the gently caress out of these assholes.

Similarly,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwlY2UEFwaA

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

bean_shadow posted:

Iowa requires driver's ed and I don't notice people here driving any better than in Missouri, where I had lived for the past twenty years, which does not require driver's ed. In fact, in the town I live in, they're worse. No turn signals, confusion at 4-way stops, driving extremely slow.

Iowa only requires driver's ed if you're applying for your first license as a teenager. Once you're over 18, you get to skip the whole graduated license system and just go straight to a full license. I waited until I was in my 20s to get a license and I didn't even need to take a written test despite having no driving experience outside of video games, just a 3-5 minute driving test where I had to drive around the block and not hit anything.

I commented that the test seemed exceedingly simple, and they told me that if they made it into an actual test the people who failed would drive anyway so they might as well pass everyone and collect the licensing fees.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
So I have a short walk to and from my bus stop (maybe 1/2-2/3 of a mile from my apartment) and there's been a marked increase in random strangers pulling up and asking me if I need a ride. (One dude didn't even ask, he just honked his horn until I looked at him, and then he asked.)

First of all, don't ask random women if they want a ride in your car. Second of all, if they decline, don't get defensive and don't keep asking!

It's a short walk and I don't want to risk getting kidnapped or murdered. Just let me be. And if your chivalrous nature forces you to ask, don't be mad if I say no.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Unless someone has their thumb out, or you know them, or the heavens have suddenly opened up and it's pouring, I really don't see why any reasonable person would pull up to someone and invite them into their car.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
What is with that? I get random people asking if I need a ride at least once a week. I don't look disabled or something, stop it.

How many people have cried back some variation of "Oh I'm not a creep! You can trust me, I'm a good person!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ghost emoji posted:

So I have a short walk to and from my bus stop (maybe 1/2-2/3 of a mile from my apartment) and there's been a marked increase in random strangers pulling up and asking me if I need a ride. (One dude didn't even ask, he just honked his horn until I looked at him, and then he asked.)

First of all, don't ask random women if they want a ride in your car. Second of all, if they decline, don't get defensive and don't keep asking!

It's a short walk and I don't want to risk getting kidnapped or murdered. Just let me be. And if your chivalrous nature forces you to ask, don't be mad if I say no.

This makes me think of the Tales from the Crypt episode where a man who picks up hitchhikers and kills them picks up a hitchhiker who kills the people who pick him up.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

oldpainless posted:

This makes me think of the Tales from the Crypt episode where a man who picks up hitchhikers and kills them picks up a hitchhiker who kills the people who pick him up.

Makes me think of this:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Do these people think they live in a porn movie or something? I mean, if it's pouring down rain and they don't have an umbrella or if they're visibly in distress I guess it's pretty normal to at least stop and ask if they're alright, but offering a ride unprompted is just weird in almost all circumstances. Especially if it's a lone guy asking a woman by herself - do they not realize how that looks/sounds?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Do these people think they live in a porn movie or something? I mean, if it's pouring down rain and they don't have an umbrella or if they're visibly in distress I guess it's pretty normal to at least stop and ask if they're alright, but offering a ride unprompted is just weird in almost all circumstances. Especially if it's a lone guy asking a woman by herself - do they not realize how that looks/sounds?

I genuinely think they do not realize it, no.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

They think it will get them laid, so yes, they do think they live in a porn movie.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
The summer after high school graduation, I temped at a local newspaper office, and the building was right next to a historic residential area with great trees and front gardens -- a really nice neighborhood to take walks through on my lunch break. Unfortunately, I was only able to do it for a few weeks because one day, this guy who had come into the office that morning to pay his newspaper subscription bill saw me walking around on my lunch break while he was driving, pulled up next to me, and offered me a ride. I said, "No thanks! I'm taking a walk! :)" and kept on going.

For the next few days, every day on my walk, he'd pull up his car next to me and ask me if I needed a ride, and each time I said, "No thanks, I'm taking a walk," but smiling less and less because I was more and more creeped out, and I always walked right back to the office while he slowly drove next to me. After 2-3 days, I stopped taking walks and just took my lunch break in my car, because gently caress that guy.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I used to regularly get this--while running. Decked out in pretty obvious running gear. And they won't stop creeping up and honking at you until you stop, pull out your earbuds, and ask what they want. Then once you say no (because duh, I'm doing this on purpose, idiot), they look offended that you didn't take them up on their righteously chivalrous offer.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I offered a girl a ride once several years ago, but it was during a really bad snow/ice storm and she was trudging through like a foot of unshoveled snow and looked miserable - she accepted, I dropped her at her job and went on my way, no fuss or weirdness. I usually at least ask if someone looks like they're having trouble, especially if they're out in crap weather or look a bit worse for wear.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's probably ok if the conditions are godawful, like what you described, but if it's a perfectly nice day out, then there's really no reason to ask if some stranger needs a ride.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I take walks as a really basic form of therapy, which makes it really awkward when people insist on giving rides.

It's such a nice gesture that i really don't want or need, and I'm definitely the weird one here :smith: I wish I lived somewhere with less of a car culture; walks are really pleasant and good at clearing my head.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Off topic, people who leave time on the microwave. It's not a parking meter. No one's going to use that 15 seconds you left. Just hit cancel!

And back to car stuff: people whose response to everything is to brake. They don't even usually slow down, just brake enough to show their brake lights. People merging? Flash the brakes. Someone comes from behind to pass you? Brakes! A gentle breeze flows through the treetops on the side of the road? Hit the brakes! Sun periodically hidden from the clouds? Brake! A light rain starts to fall? Forget the windshield wipers and headlights, HIT THE GODDAMN BRAKES!....and then continue driving like a maniacal rear end in a top hat a split second later.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Off topic, people who leave time on the microwave. It's not a parking meter. No one's going to use that 15 seconds you left. Just hit cancel!

Hahaha there's someone at my job who sets the microwave for an hour just because, I guess, he doesn't want to think about how much time to set it for because he'll just get his food the next time he swings by. :iiam:

So I often come across the microwave with like 55:03 left on it and I suppose I'm just glad the place hasn't burned down because he got called into a meeting or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

People at my work do this all the time. And of course the microwave doesn't do anything else until you hit cancel. So half the time I put something in the microwave, then try to enter how long I want it to cook, and nothing happens. Sure, I could just take the extra time to look at the display and hit cancel, but that extra 5 seconds adds up.