Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Scyantific posted:

gently caress yeah.

I'm with you, man, but I still can't stand to play with a UI and without pretty much every immersive mod out there. So I'm going back to regular old skyrim for now. It's more than pretty enough with mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Someone put up a ported version of SkyUI on the Nexus site, but its under moderation lock now. Anyone manage to download it before the lock that could rehost?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

I didn't expect much either, expected skyrim straight ported to FO4 engine, and got exactly that. Though it very clearly lost some texture fidelity in the process.
So about that...

quote:

Bethesda decided to upscale a large amount of textures, doubling their size. Upscaling a texture from 512x512 to 1024x1024 or whatever is generally considered a bad plan because all it does is blur things or add noise and not actually improve image quality. Bethesda has used a sort of automated upscale-noise-filtering system to make the textures a bit more...noisy. It does make them ever so slightly less blurry, but it also adds dithering, which isn't good. I suppose it is a toss up on which is better. Here's some comparisons: rug, bear pelt.

For reference, the original release (with HighRes DLC) had 898 architecture files for 825mb. SE has 898 architecture files for 1.91gb. So yeah...technically I should update all my vanilla texture edits to use these new "high res" textures...but like I said, I don't believe any of these larger textures are actually from high res art sources.

If that's really true then that's just hilarious.
Edit: Here are some more details: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/59va9l/skyrim_se_texture_report/?st=iuu5w8qi&sh=8b0428ca
I generally don't like to complain about free stuff, but that's still some low effort right there.

I've also seen people complain about a downgrade in sound quality due to the SE using a heavily compressed audio file format. I haven't noticed any real difference, but that could be because I'm using pair of crappy, cheap speakers at the moment.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 28, 2016

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

armoredgorilla posted:

Someone put up a ported version of SkyUI on the Nexus site, but its under moderation lock now. Anyone manage to download it before the lock that could rehost?

the chances of it being legit are very slim

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

armoredgorilla posted:

I grabbed it. It has two versions one that shows an error message because of skse is missing and one that removes the error message.

FlyingKipper posted:

the chances of it being legit are very slim

It works for me.

I uploaded them. Version with Error Message and Version with Error Message Removed.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Hot diggity. I'll give them a whirl too.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

It's only version 2.2 but even that is so much better than the default interface. I wish it had the favorites menu fixed.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Question: Can I go hog-wild with shaders and textures and what not with a GTX970 and an i5 4690? I would hope so given the age of the hardware vs the age of the game, but I know ENBs can be insanely taxing.

Edit: This is with vanilla Skyrim, not SE, obviously.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't follow the modding community outside of downloading what they create, since so many mods are made by downright horrible people and I'd rather maintain my illusion that they spring forth from the ether, so what's the general feel in the community right now for SSE? Is it optimistic? Do a lot of high-profile modders seem inclined to put in the extra work to port their mods over, or is the original going to remain the definitive version? I'm not sure I want to bother redoing my mod list for SSE if it's just going to have a dead modding community in a couple months.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oddly, I am looking forward to seeing the vanilla game I haven't seen in 5 years.

Burns
May 10, 2008

So apparently open cities still contains those oblivion gates :shepspends:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I noticed Arthmoor has a disproportionate amount of mods hosted on the SSE nexus. So it's pretty much Skyrim Arthmoor Edition right now.

Arth is one of the modders that made me want to know less about modders. I can't live without alternate start though.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Turk posted:

I grabbed it. It has two versions one that shows an error message because of skse is missing and one that removes the error message.

It works for me.

I uploaded them. Version with Error Message and Version with Error Message Removed.

I stand corrected. Good work!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Turk posted:

It works for me.

You are a Sky-rim hero, na naa nana naaaa...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr6KVNt-1Ek

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ugh legacy of the dragonborn needs skse and won't even be attempted to be ported until SKSESE is made.

https://arcadiamgames.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/shifting-tides/

but the creator has plans to make this great mod even greater and thankfully cut down on all the bloat

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Burns posted:

So apparently open cities still contains those oblivion gates :shepspends:
Haha what a dumbass

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Scyantific posted:

Anyone know if we can import the texture mods from stuff like aMidianBorn into SSE? Because I want to play with 2k textures on everything.

Yeah, I copied Noble Skyrim right over and it works

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

RangerPL posted:

Yeah, I copied Noble Skyrim right over and it works

loving awesome. Might actually give this a go then.

What about ENB? Is Boris gonna do something for SSE?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are you guys just copying the files manually or can NMM handle this somehow?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wait there is a version of SkyUI that works without SKSE? Whats the catch?

also looks like NMM was updated. neato.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jackard posted:

Haha what a dumbass

It is so bizarre that this is the hill he wants to die on. It's the most pointless thing to be upset about.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Raygereio posted:

So about that...

If that's really true then that's just hilarious.
Edit: Here are some more details: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/59va9l/skyrim_se_texture_report/?st=iuu5w8qi&sh=8b0428ca
I generally don't like to complain about free stuff, but that's still some low effort right there.

I've also seen people complain about a downgrade in sound quality due to the SE using a heavily compressed audio file format. I haven't noticed any real difference, but that could be because I'm using pair of crappy, cheap speakers at the moment.

Oh wow. They basically went an done an amateur modder blunder and just upscaled their textures for literally no gain whatsoever. They might as well have just used the HD pack straight with no conversion. Can't even tell if they used the original HD pack as the source or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did use the HD pack as a base then just upscaled it to where it got hosed back into SD quality by that lovely DXT color compression.
Who likes green/purple color compression artifacts and squared normal map gradients? I do! :suicide:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I seen it mentioned, and I'm wondering how is Legacy of the Dragonborn? It's completely huge, which is why I'm hesitant on downloading it, so I also realize there's a lot of bloat. But how much does it actually add to the game, and of what quality?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Colgate posted:

I seen it mentioned, and I'm wondering how is Legacy of the Dragonborn? It's completely huge, which is why I'm hesitant on downloading it, so I also realize there's a lot of bloat. But how much does it actually add to the game, and of what quality?

Do you like giant collect-a-thon museums where you can gawk at your giant collection of poo poo from armor sets and artifact weapons to book sets and rare tomes and treasure maps and minor-yet-unique things like shivs and horns and replicas of those otherwise forgettable quest heirlooms you hand off to people? There's a few quests, too. I think it integrates Moonpath to Elsweyr, Unique Uniques, the old artifacts of Morrowloot, the libraries of previous Elder Scrolls titles and the unique Book Covers for all of those to count off the top of my head.

I was so not a fan of how terrible-looking the collectable gems and minerals were (so much so that I left them out of the mining yield tables, leaving just the ones hand-placed in homes and stores), but I did like the paintings (generic, expensive, found in most big stores and hand-placed in bandit lairs, you can stick them onto empty frames in the museum to make a unique painting appear there) and magic decks of cards and rare coins in the loot tables plus unique statuettes that you could just find for sale for a massive sum in a pawn shop somewhere

Some of the writing is screaming for an editor's spellchecking and the script-heavy loot sorting in the museum safehouse (you get the key after a few additions) is heavy enough to be a stability liability if left on, but most of it works nicely for something to massive. LOTDB gave my game Added Value and I like it a lot despite the cracks in the immersion in places.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 28, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

scamtank posted:

I was so not a fan of how terrible-looking the collectable gems and minerals were

Those are the gems whose textures still bear the watermarks of the photo reference sites from which they were downloaded, aren't they? Also it gives you a 20% FPS penalty.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

HILLARY CURES DEPLORABLES posted:

wait there is a version of SkyUI that works without SKSE? Whats the catch?

also looks like NMM was updated. neato.

SkyUI worked without SKSE for a good long while, back when it didn't incorporate mod menus and configuration options into it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a working mod for SE that removes magic item charges?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It looks like Enai pulled through, Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim has been uploaded for SSE! I've stuck with SPERG before because it's what I was used to, but I always meant to give Ordinator a try. I'm glad I have this excuse to finally get around to that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
A good perk overhaul was what I was waiting for. Anyone else used this?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Deified Data posted:

A good perk overhaul was what I was waiting for. Anyone else used this?

yeah dude ordinator is one of the most used perk mods ever

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Colgate posted:

For what it'd worth, I hate it and it gives me performance hits just from being installed.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Scyantific posted:

What about ENB? Is Boris gonna do something for SSE?

Probably, but one of the nice things about SSE is the fact that ENB isn't really necessary anymore.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I am trying to use this sorting mod, have all the pre-requisite mods, they and my other mods load fine. For some reason this sorting mod won't run. Anyone that can help me out or hook me up with another inventory management mod for SSE?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspec...review%3D&pUp=1

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

cams posted:

I am trying to use this sorting mod, have all the pre-requisite mods, they and my other mods load fine. For some reason this sorting mod won't run. Anyone that can help me out or hook me up with another inventory management mod for SSE?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspec...review%3D&pUp=1

It seems to work for me. Make sure its loaded last in your load order and if necessary include it in your bashed patch.
The mod works by changing the names of items so that they sort better alphabetically in your inventory. It's a far cry from the sorting available in SkyUI but at least its something. According to the author its still very rough.

Edit: You'll know it's working if you have Arrows-Iron or Apple-Green in your inventory.

FlyingKipper fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 29, 2016

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there an estimate on when Steam Workshop, SPERG, and that UI mod will be available for the special edition?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Pretty sure the Workshop isn't going to happen because bethnet is taking that form of things over.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Anticheese posted:

Is there an estimate on when Steam Workshop, SPERG, and that UI mod will be available for the special edition?

The second two: whenever SKSE SE is finished, so anytime between "now" and never.

Keep in mind that SKSE, as it exists now, took about 3 years to reach its current state, and that the SKSE SE is basically starting from scratch.

That said, Ordinator is a drat nice perk mod, and that hacked version or SkyUI worked okay for the little bit I screwed around with it.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Do mods disable achievements in Skyrim Special Edition? I'm assuming they do like in Fallout 4.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Two Beans posted:

Do mods disable achievements in Skyrim Special Edition? I'm assuming they do like in Fallout 4.

They do, in fact. There's a mod on nexus to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Gonkish posted:

They do, in fact. There's a mod on nexus to fix that.

Thanks.

While checking out nexus I noticed that the open cities mod was ported over to SE, and with the port comes the reopened wounds of the oblivion gates controversy.