Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

quadrophrenic posted:

Speaking of naval, I found out in one of my games that melee naval units can assault and cap coastal cities. Was it like that in Civ V? Despite playing 400 hours of that game, I think I only ever got in like 2 or 3 big naval wars.

oh wow i never assumed they could so didnt bother. definitely makes those first few galleys a little better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
If I don't have a religion of my own is there any point in building holy sites? Also, I conquered France which had founded Catholicism, but now I can't adopt Catholicism and spread it as though it were my own?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

quadrophrenic posted:

Speaking of naval, I found out in one of my games that melee naval units can assault and cap coastal cities. Was it like that in Civ V? Despite playing 400 hours of that game, I think I only ever got in like 2 or 3 big naval wars.

That's a big plus. I never bothered with melee naval units in the previous version because they became obsolete so quick. I did notice you could pillage coastal tiles which I think is new as well.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Peas and Rice posted:

So I've been denounced by other leaders - but how do I actually denounce one of them? I can't find it anywhere in the diplomacy menu.

They have to do something that you can denounce for the list to pop up, which the list of things you can denounce is about 1/20th of what you get spammed with by other Civs. You can denounce Civs that convert your cities, but you can't denounce Civs that amass a huge army at your border (I SEE YOU TRAJAN WITH YOUR LEGIONS).

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Large Inland Sea:

0 (zero) non-hill, non-mountain tiles after 11 turns.

3 (three) non-hill, non-mountain tiles (tundra at the very edge of the map) after 50 turns. What is this garbage. The last screenshot is where I called it quits because, while the prospect of insane production in the later game was tempting, the AI absolutely cannot deal with only ever being able to move one tile at a time (and I didn't want to deal). This almost felt like a practical joke

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Ross Perowned posted:

They have to do something that you can denounce for the list to pop up, which the list of things you can denounce is about 1/20th of what you get spammed with by other Civs. You can denounce Civs that convert your cities, but you can't denounce Civs that amass a huge army at your border (I SEE YOU TRAJAN WITH YOUR LEGIONS).

Is something similar true for even trying to offer peace? I decided to just say gently caress it and beat the poo poo out of Germany, I've captured two of his cities and I want to see if he'll take peace, but there seems to be no option for doing so (and the math grid about how much he hates me is like -50 for warmongering and +5 for a big treasury, so,)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Smirr posted:

Large Inland Sea:

0 (zero) non-hill, non-mountain tiles after 11 turns.

3 (three) non-hill, non-mountain tiles (tundra at the very edge of the map) after 50 turns. What is this garbage. The last screenshot is where I called it quits because, while the prospect of insane production in the later game was tempting, the AI absolutely cannot deal with only ever being able to move one tile at a time (and I didn't want to deal). This almost felt like a practical joke

That's hilarious.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Taear posted:

I have satellites.

Getting a satellite doesn't actually reveal resources on the map. You still need to see the tiles directly (not under a fog of war) to know what's on them.

At least... that's what happened on my Arabia game.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What happens if you go bankrupt?

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

You should have atleast settled a city where your archer is standing and built petra there, after that you could have considered the game won.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
I've been playing here and there, good game and all that.
But a very strange thing is happening in my current game as Scythia. Just started, about to found my second city, when England strolls a settler right up to my capitals border and shits a city down directly on the edge of my territory.
Do NPCs not have the same city founding rules as players? I know for sure the game won't let me stick a city down if it will be directly touching another players border.
She has also had troops sitting in my capitals hexes, even tho we do not have open borders...

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

PirateBob posted:

You lose amenities and your units start randomly deleting themselves. This can ultimately result in rebels spawning, but I think that happens via unhappiness after losing amenities, not directly as a result of being bankrupt.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

PirateBob posted:

I'll never know :smugdog:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How do district adjacency bonuses work for other districts vs terrain tiles? I see people talking about triangles and diamonds with districts early on.

Also is it better to build districts on lovely yield tiles or on good yield tiles?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Squee posted:

I've been playing here and there, good game and all that.
But a very strange thing is happening in my current game as Scythia. Just started, about to found my second city, when England strolls a settler right up to my capitals border and shits a city down directly on the edge of my territory.
Do NPCs not have the same city founding rules as players? I know for sure the game won't let me stick a city down if it will be directly touching another players border.
She has also had troops sitting in my capitals hexes, even tho we do not have open borders...
Yeah England was really annoying in my game. She moved a settler all the way across the continent passing multiple good spots just to forward settle next to my capital (which I guess is on a differently named 'continent' of the same landmass.) I needed that spot to get a coastal city. After I took the city she refused to peace out for like 30 turns, and later declared war again in an attempt to get it back.

It was a huge pain in the rear end because after taking out Gandhi I was poised to win a second early war with Saladin but he was the only buffer between me and Rome's massive army and England kept me tied up with their never-ending war to re-take the city they had no business settling.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

CompeAnansi posted:

You lose amenities and your units start randomly deleting themselves. This can ultimately result in rebels spawning, but I think that happens via unhappiness after losing amenities, not directly as a result of being bankrupt.

I'm in trouble. "Cities" expenses are costing me 29 per turn, spread out over 6 towns. When I was DOWed by 2 civs at the same time I lost all my trade income. :negative:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Mata posted:

You should have atleast settled a city where your archer is standing and built petra there, after that you could have considered the game won.

I saved the game before I annoyance-quit so I might just do that if I ever feel like it.

Also I forgot to mention another weird thing, Japan declared war on me during that game and on the turn after I killed his attacking army and made peace (because I could not be arsed taking 15 turns to get to his capital) he popped up to say "Your cities are so close. Your troops are so strong. You are making me nervous!", which I could only say Goodbye to. Okay, and you're telling me this... why? Do civs have grovel interactions?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Vicky's AI seems to be extremely aggressive about settling other continents to get the most out of her abilities. I had a similar experience where she sent a settler to settle against my capital on turn 30~, crossing some 30-40 hexes to do so. It also happened that I was right on the border of the two continents, so it was the first decent spot she could reach.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Smirr posted:

I saved the game before I annoyance-quit so I might just do that if I ever feel like it.

Also I forgot to mention another weird thing, Japan declared war on me during that game and on the turn after I killed his attacking army and made peace (because I could not be arsed taking 15 turns to get to his capital) he popped up to say "Your cities are so close. Your troops are so strong. You are making me nervous!", which I could only say Goodbye to. Okay, and you're telling me this... why? Do civs have grovel interactions?

He's telling you that he has the Paranoid hidden agenda. I think

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

PirateBob posted:

I'm in trouble. "Cities" expenses are costing me 29 per turn, spread out over 6 towns. When I was DOWed by 2 civs at the same time I lost all my trade income. :negative:

Delete a unit or two, get loads of gold

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

He's telling you that he has the Paranoid hidden agenda. I think

Ah OK, didn't think of that.

Jaur
Jun 5, 2005

uguu~
Kongo theme is ridiculously good :drum:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do you guys know why my requirement in tourists is so much lower than the ai opponents for a culture victory?

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Yes, you have higher domestic tourists than them, and the number of foreign tourists you need for the cultural victory is the number of the highest (domestic tourists) AI civ has +1.

Edited to make it a bit clearer, I hope.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 28, 2016

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
So do you never get any of your city states' resources in this game? :confused:

How important is niter? Of course all the niter spots are outside my territory... considering settling a city close to a spot just to get it.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Ersatz posted:

Yeah - I'm expecting Gilgamesh to be permanently pissed at me for conquering his strategically important city with the Oracle, so crippling him on the way out may be the best thing to do. I also just got the pillaging civics.

don't forget that you can also raid traid routes if your opponent has any. might aswell make some additional profit while crippling your enemy ;)

PirateBob posted:

So do you never get any of your city states' resources in this game? :confused:

How important is niter? Of course all the niter spots are outside my territory... considering settling a city close to a spot just to get it.

You need to have a specific number of envoys at a city state AND be the Souzerain (have more envoys than anyone else) to get their resources and special bonus. You can just mouse over the Souzerain tab in the city states info menu to see the requirements and bonuses.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 28, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The best pillage move is to bring your workers in and strip resources off the map for quick cash. Real salt the earth stuff, except you're actually taking the salt out.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Ross Perowned posted:

Isn't there an option to "discuss" moving their armies away? Maybe you can denounce them after they broke their promise.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mata posted:

I'm pretty sure that Petra can't be built on a hill

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

PirateBob posted:

I needed it to go from Legions to Musketmen, which made all the difference between me being in deadlock with my neighbors and rolling over them like an out of control dump truck.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think there is a way to further break the religious aspect of this game.

If an AI starts spamming missionaries, let them convert one of your cities (build a holy district there). Once it is converted, use it to pump out missionaries. They will be of the new religion, and immune to attack by the AI apostles. Send as many as you can into the offenders territory, and do things like stand on its holy sites or stack them up around terrain bottlenecks. They are impenetrable and unkillable, even if war is declared.

It's a pretty minor issue in a system full of bigger bugs, but still potentially amusing. May also work in multiplayer games.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
More weird mapgen stuff: on a huge inland sea map, 10 factions spawned in the western half of the map, and 2 on the eastern half. Trajan conquered westward, and never dropped a single city in the vast fertile land to his east, and Gilgamesh settled in a straight line from the SE corner to the coast. When I discovered satellites 1/3rd of the map was empty-- and again, I'm talking about prime land, not tundra and desert. Meanwhile, Scythia and India's capitals are both around 10 tiles from mine.

Maybe it's a legendary start bug? All the best spawns were in the west, so that's where all the capitals were put, I guess.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Geez the AI gets aggressive about forward-settling on King (and probably higher). I had to raze two Arabian cities for nestling in the middle of my empire, then turn right around and see that Egypt and China have done the exact same thing in other parts of my territory.

Now everyone hates me for being a warmonger because I'm razing these lovely inefficient cities.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

I think there is a way to further break the religious aspect of this game.

If an AI starts spamming missionaries, let them convert one of your cities (build a holy district there). Once it is converted, use it to pump out missionaries. They will be of the new religion, and immune to attack by the AI apostles. Send as many as you can into the offenders territory, and do things like stand on its holy sites or stack them up around terrain bottlenecks. They are impenetrable and unkillable, even if war is declared.

It's a pretty minor issue in a system full of bigger bugs, but still potentially amusing. May also work in multiplayer games.

I don't feel bad when I do this to the AI because I only found out about it by them doing it to me.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm pretty sure that Petra can't be built on a hill

There's two non-hill tiles there, one on the stone (I think) and one three tiles northeast of the tile he pointed out. e: That one is actually forest on hills. Geez, what a mapgen

Brannock fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 29, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ulvino posted:

Yes, you have higher domestic tourists than them, and the number of foreign tourists you need for the cultural victory is the number of the highest (domestic tourists) AI civ has +1.

Edited to make it a bit clearer, I hope.

Thanks!

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The best pillage move is to bring your workers in and strip resources off the map for quick cash. Real salt the earth stuff, except you're actually taking the salt out.
Lol - I am playing Rome, and these fuckers marched across a continent to attack my territory. Salting the earth is the historically appropriate response. Vae victis!

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 29, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
So what are the best strats towards completely breaking the game over your knee so far?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Lady Naga posted:

So what are the best strats towards completely breaking the game over your knee so far?

Horse economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Squee posted:

I know for sure the game won't let me stick a city down if it will be directly touching another players border.
Pretty sure this isn't true. There's a distance from the actual city requirement, but if their border has expanded far enough you can settle touching the border.