Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

They're all just copying Battle Royale

Which was a commentary on the Japanese school system

yeah. fantasy novels comment on high school a lot because taking something that feels life or death as an adolescent and making it literal is a really good way to reach an audience. the teenagers in particular, but like, everyone was a teenager at some point. harry potter is really just magic UK secondary education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bicyclops posted:

Wakka, wearing goggles and wearing a shirt that says "I love Machina!": Happy Halloween, everyone!!

Rikku: Seriously?

Lol

Don't forget the weird swirly-eye contacts for full al-bed blackface

Dewgy posted:

quoting without context

All this summon talk is making me want to finally finish FF7. Anyone know if the PS4 version is less crashy now?

PS4 version never crashed on me once :shrug: I'm only like halfway through but seems fine to me

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bicyclops posted:

yeah. fantasy novels comment on high school a lot because taking something that feels life or death as an adolescent and making it literal is a really good way to reach an audience. the teenagers in particular, but like, everyone was a teenager at some point. harry potter is really just magic UK secondary education.

Yeah and Japanese high schools are pretty horrible for the amount of pressure they put on students, which feeds into the manifold problems with Japan's office culture, etc. So a situation where you are asked to murder your fellow students to graduate or die is not too big of a leap from how it feels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sakurazuka posted:

They're all just copying Battle Royale

Which was a commentary on the Japanese school system

Battle Royale is the only book of such length that I finished in a single sitting, and its a crime so many kids are so into Hunger Games but haven't read it.

So good.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Tbh the more interesting and worrying recurring theme in Japanese media is "a group of people enter, without their consent, into a system/location/game/etc where the only way to survive or escape is by killing each other".

i wish i could be in an anime death game

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Buca di Bepis posted:

Nosh..nosh...nosh-talgia. Nosh. Talgia.

OK, Ax :rolleyes:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Battle Royale ripoffs would be more interesting if the characters were adults instead of teenagers, because then they'd feel like actual people with something to lose instead of broad stereotypes who haven't even figured out who they are yet.

Battle Royale had a very specific thematic reason for the characters being so young, but few of its imitators do.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

i wish i could be in an anime death game

Let me give you my address

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

Battle Royale ripoffs would be more interesting if the characters were adults instead of teenagers, because then they'd feel like actual people with something to lose instead of broad stereotypes who haven't even figured out who they are yet.

Battle Royale had a very specific thematic reason for the characters being so young, but few of its imitators do.

are you saying dangan ronpa was poorly written

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsuo8jq6OIw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the battle royal manga, where there's a six page scene of two of the characters discussing how blatantly unfair it is that one of the guys has an ak-47 and they have a baseball bat and a nail gun

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What I want to know about FF stories is why they take fifty ducking hours to unravel

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hello it's my duty to mention that my favorite FF is XIII whenever this conversation happens every two weeks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Somewhere along the way someone decided that RPG's have to be 40 hours long and that's how it is.

It's no surprise that official best RPG ever Chrono Trigger clocks in at slightly less than 20 hours.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Hello it's my duty to mention that my favorite FF is XIII whenever this conversation happens every two weeks

More like every 2 days

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What I want to know about FF stories is why they take fifty ducking hours to unravel
because jrpgs are more about world-building and set pieces than the plot iself

the plot abandons you for huge chunks of ff7, barely progressing at all, but there's always tons of rando. information on the lifestream and mako and shinra and wutai and w/e, and there's a big cool moment every 4-5 hours.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Undertale beats that by being a cool crisp thirty minute game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I did not get a PS3 or 4, but once I upgrade my computer, I look forward to playing this entry in the series. please elaborate on its good qualities, because i have not been posting in a very long time until like last week, and will have missed your reasons.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Some people get really weird with video game length

I think I remember someone in the 3DS thread a long time ago complaining that Fire Emblem Awakening was only 30 hours

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bicyclops posted:

the whole Laguna is Squall's Dad thing feels like... okay? i guess? Am I supposed to feel something about this or...?

IMO this is some good character development poo poo they really could have built up but completely whiffed it. Turns out their relationship wasn't at all important except as a vessel for Ellone to bring their causes together. I think. I dunno if I even got that part right.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There was a time when advertising hour length was enough of a selling point for games that virtually all of them were padding it. I still know people who say the Portal games are bad because of their brevity.

e:

Mak0rz posted:

IMO this is some good character development poo poo they really could have built up but completely whiffed it. Turns out their relationship wasn't at all important except as a vessel for Ellone to bring their causes together. I think. I dunno if I even got that part right.

Yup. Could have been the thing that tied everything together, but instead they decided to just heavily imply it, as if saying it outright and dealing with it openly would have ruined things.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Battle Royale is the only book of such length that I finished in a single sitting, and its a crime so many kids are so into Hunger Games but haven't read it.

So good.

At the same time, Hunger Games is fundamentally about something different than Battle Royale. They use similar allegorical devices, but they aren't allegories for the same things.

Although in some ways I suppose that makes Hunger Games a decent American counterpart, since American highschool is nothing like Japanese highschool.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hunger Games is more about the Reality Show/social media 15 minutes of fame phenomenon than it is about the American school system IMO. I don't think it is very good, because both the world-building and the sentence-per-sentence writing lack sophistication, but i think the series is a very different animal from Battle Royale.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Some people get really weird with video game length

I think I remember someone in the 3DS thread a long time ago complaining that Fire Emblem Awakening was only 30 hours
some companies get really weird about game length too. when bamco was making tales of xillia they were like 'it'll be 70 hours before sidequests!!' and then it was like 45 even with sidequests because they had to cut out the entire third act and most of the sidequests because it turns out a 70+ hour rpg is pretty hard to make in a two-year timeframe in this era, especially with a mid-sized team and budget.

and then when they said tales of berseria was aiming for 40-50 hours with sidequests, some people complained that was too short

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

are you saying dangan ronpa was poorly written

As tempting as it is to say yes, I haven't actually played it.

Bicyclops posted:

There was a time when advertising hour length was enough of a selling point for games that virtually all of them were padding it. I still know people who say the Portal games are bad because of their brevity.

It sucks because some of my favorite games can be easily beaten in like, 5 hours or even 90 minutes, and they could never be made today because of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In Training posted:

Agh, cuts me like a knife

Snak posted:

At the same time, Hunger Games is fundamentally about something different than Battle Royale. They use similar allegorical devices, but they aren't allegories for the same things.

Although in some ways I suppose that makes Hunger Games a decent American counterpart, since American highschool is nothing like Japanese highschool.

Yeah they are definitely very different in focus and theme.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It sucks because some of my favorite games can be easily beaten in like, 5 hours or even 90 minutes, and they could never be made today because of that.
plenty of 5 hour and 90 minute games are coming out, just not from AAA gaming. Most of platinum's output is in like the 5-8 hour range, especially if you skip cutscenes.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

As tempting as it is to say yes, I haven't actually played it.

I would argue those types of games are more viable nowadays then they ever have been.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

I would argue those types of games are more viable nowadays then they ever have been.

Yeah as I get older and have less time and energy I'm much more a fan of short, very polished games or ones where you can hop right into gameplay like Dynasty Warriors. I like jrpgs, but the time commitment both total and per session is prohibitive. I wonder how long companies can keep their apparent desire for players to play only one game going, though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

https://twitter.com/hellogames/status/792024895525949440

Sean Murray and the good people over at Hello Games have started tweeting again today -- it looks like someone either highjacked their No Man's Sky account or they are trying to break the ice in a weird way.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/10/28/that-mysterious-deleted-no-mans-sky-tweet-wasnt-a-hack/#383bc55335ef

This is a pretty good read. It's a weird loving story all around, especially since now that they have it sorted out (I guess) they clammed right back up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ISIS coordinated a terrorist attack through custom planet and animal names so Hello Games is under a federal gag order until the investigation concludes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

It probably could get made, it would just get some very bad reviews from a very select group of people. Gone Home was way, way shorter and it was a viable enough game, in terms of sales and most reviews.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The real American Battle Royale counterpart is Series 7: the contenders

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Got the Skyrim Remaster. Can't wait to get off work and spend all night trying to make a character that isn't ugly :newlol:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I obviously should've qualified, short games like that would never get made by a AAA studio. :sweatdrop:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

precision posted:

Got the Skyrim Remaster. Can't wait to get off work and spend all night trying to make a character that isn't ugly :newlol:

why did you get the skyrim remaster

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'd probably buy the skyrim remaster if i didn't already have skyrim and if my computer even had a prayer of running it

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Battlefield and CoD are short AAA games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

why did you get the skyrim remaster

My mother in law ordered two copies by mistake

• Locked thread