Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I'm getting so drat demoralized by my pulls in this game. I've spent like 300 mythril since guaranteed 5 came out and my prizes have been:

Larsa 1 - Mage Staff (FFX Generic staff)
Meltdown Lucky Draw - Cyclone Grimoire
Realm Dungeon Lucky Draw 2- Edincoat (FFVII Generic Bracelet)
Realm Dungeon Lucky Draw 1 - Guardian Corps Uniform (Lightning's godawful zero damage EnLightning SB)
Debuff Lucky Draw - Strago's Morning Star (Literally my only offensive magic SB,dumpster fire that is Cyclone Grimoire aside, after over a year of playing)
Eiko 1 - Steiner's Excalibur (Weak SB on a weak character. Good stat stick at least but I have so many IX stat sticks already)
BSB Fest - Minwu's SSB (Pretty good item but I have like 6 medica's already)
BSB Fest- Yuffie's Crystal Cross (Actually a useful item, holy poo poo!)

All the good toys are passing me by, I haven't gotten anything exciting since like March. No BSB's, no Imperils, just 1 enelement (and it's total garbage). And now I'm out of mythril. Please dena, let me feel joy again.

Bland fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Minwu's ssb is an instant cast curaga level medica. Definitely better than most medicas you already have. The instnt action is so loving good to have, you have no idea.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Can confirm that instant speed healing is bonkers good. I've survived a lot of poo poo that would probably have otherwise wiped me because I didn't have to wait for a medica cast time. It helps that Minwu has the highest base MND in the game at level 80/99 so he'll always be making GBS threads out fantastically potent medicas.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Sprite141 posted:

Minwu's ssb is an instant cast curaga level medica. Definitely better than most medicas you already have. The instnt action is so loving good to have, you have no idea.

I have dreamstage :shrug: Of course Minwu's SSB is good, I have no doubt I'll use it from time to time, but what I meant is it doesn't fill any gaps in my team. And I have a lot of gaps in my team.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
BSBFest tempted me, VII tempted me, IX tempted me, and now XII is tempting me to drop 50 mythril to pick up some much-needed SSB+ type weapons.

Buuuut then I look at a summary of the next dozen or so events and I re-tighten the purse-strings.

Thankfully these U++ keep being exploitable by Holy BSBs so thus far everything's been master-able.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Instant Cast Curaga Medica has been my staple healing for the last...several months. Seriously, it's a no frills fill up with no cast time, there might be other things that attach more poo poo to the Curaga, but Minwu hasn't left my party since I pulled it.

Also I'm done pulling for now, probably gonna do an 11-pull on FF3 Onion Knight or an 11-pull on FF5. I want me a husbando OSB and Greg is my favorite. FF9's still my favorite and I intend to pull on THAT for my rat waifu's BSB, one way or another.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 28, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Wow, that Behemoth Ultimate in the WoFF event is some seriously annoying bullshit. I actually had the fucker dead to rights and probably had a mastery one of the times but then he switched to his Meteor counter-stance and one of my regular attacks went off before my uncounterable SBs, resulting in a meteor that wiped all but one of my party. :argh:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

[U+] Lamia was a slog. I was in no danger, I just didn't anticipate hone shortage.

I went full white mage, almost the same setup I used to destroy the [U] Emperor. I figured I'd get ~6000 dmg per R4 diaga, 2x R4 lifesiphon + cleansing strike for damage and mitigation, R2/R3 dances to make it go faster, and RW was FF2 Maria Meteor to give to Yuna once her summons ran out.

Ran out of most summons at about 25%. At about 10% I was dogpiling Agrias with the white mages to build up the bar for 6.5k cleansing strikes.

It worked but what a pain in the rear end.

Not even going to try the U++ given my awful, awful FF2 RS.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pander posted:

[U+] Lamia was a slog. I was in no danger, I just didn't anticipate hone shortage.

I went full white mage, almost the same setup I used to destroy the [U] Emperor. I figured I'd get ~6000 dmg per R4 diaga, 2x R4 lifesiphon + cleansing strike for damage and mitigation, R2/R3 dances to make it go faster, and RW was FF2 Maria Meteor to give to Yuna once her summons ran out.

Ran out of most summons at about 25%. At about 10% I was dogpiling Agrias with the white mages to build up the bar for 6.5k cleansing strikes.

It worked but what a pain in the rear end.

Not even going to try the U++ given my awful, awful FF2 RS.

If you can find a Paladin Force RW, it'll tear the U++ to shreds.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Did my half price debuff pull - got Strago's mace, Wakkas ball, and the grand prize Faris BSSB. I normally have perma-Ramza on my team, because I have shout, but now i'm tempted to have two debuffers on my team.

If Ramza is happily doing shout + lifesiphon + full break, what should I put on Faris?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Changing my RW to Paladin Force w/ Sun Blade (II) and Platinum Shield (XII). e5R5

I'll keep it on this until the end of the FF II event for people to try and knock out the U++.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Yeah, the U++ isn't too hard to bring down if you can scare up a Wall somehow. If you have native Wall, you can either RW Paladin Force or throw all the AoE you have at the problem with a RW Shout or Sheepsong. If you don't have native Wall, you can still probably try throwing said "all the AoE" at the problem with a RW Wall. I could switch my RW to Paladin Force if need be, even.

e: never mind, not going to do that, the poster above me has me beat. I only have Masamune II for realm synergy, might as well go with the guy with the Sun Blade.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Lechtansi posted:

If Ramza is happily doing shout + lifesiphon + full break, what should I put on Faris?
Faris' BSB initial attack is Full Breakdown and the commands are Magic Breakdown and Power Breakdown. When I run both:
Ramza - Lifesiphon, Armor Breakdown, Dr. Mog's RM
Faris - Mug Bloodlust, Full Break (in case there's non-burst time), Mako Might RM

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Update: Behemoth down, and I'm glad my brainwave regarding Alphinaud's Deployment Tactics paid off. I almost got hosed by him switching to Counter stance again after I'd queued the killing blows but thanks to the damage reflection barrier his first Meteor did enough damage to him that my next attack killed him.

Odin's pretty much just a chump, bring a long a Wall and you're golden. At most maybe his blind spell gets a little annoying when you're not rolling Celes with Indomitable Blade to Runic it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
drat, this was a nailbiter of a fight. My healer went down mid medica, and after that it was just attrition. I had to use ramza for tailwind instead of shout, which prolonged the fight.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
What are some good abilities to throw on Fang? Right now I've got her running 2x Sky High R1, which is nice but unsustainable for long fights. I do not have the crystals to hone 6* stuff, unfortunately, or I'd shatter one and buff the other.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Blood of the Wyvern/Dragoon Jump? Is... is this a trick question?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alternately, if you have a good SB, Fang is one of the Lifesiphon-capable Dragoons. (Unlike, say, Freya.)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

What are some good abilities to throw on Fang? Right now I've got her running 2x Sky High R1, which is nice but unsustainable for long fights. I do not have the crystals to hone 6* stuff, unfortunately, or I'd shatter one and buff the other.

What SB do you have for her? I assume you have something or wouldn't be asking. I mean, probably Lifesiphon to get her BSB going, and maybe Sky High if you have a round or two when not using burst commands. If you have her SSB, probably lifesiphon and Dragoon Dive honed to R3 or so.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm still working on my Dragoon Jump hones (or at this point waiting for Lightning Dive) so I tend to do either Lifesiphon/Dismissal or Blood of the Wyvern/Elemental or Drain Jump for my less Orb intensive options. Tempo Flurry for when she needs to hit Slow.

I have her ATK/MAG Breakdown SSB for reference.

Just got around to finishing the Celerity Nightmare. I had Fran chaincast Stop on the first single Tonberry and autoattacked with everyone else. Hones were my issue before so delaying my ability uses and Shout RW helped get me through.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Blood of the Wyvern/Dragoon Jump? Is... is this a trick question?

Nope, I just have no idea which dragoon abilities are worthwhile :shobon:

Schwartzcough posted:

What SB do you have for her? I assume you have something or wouldn't be asking. I mean, probably Lifesiphon to get her BSB going, and maybe Sky High if you have a round or two when not using burst commands. If you have her SSB, probably lifesiphon and Dragoon Dive honed to R3 or so.

Pulsar Burst and Highwind.

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to proceed to not follow any of it because apparently I don't have enough orbs to do literally anything. Maybe someday, Fang :negative:

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Man I've whiffed on so many single pulls, but I've gotten two decent SSB's: fang's 6 hit fire/wind mag/atk down spear, and j just pulled balthier's 6 hit fire imperil gun... Can't wait to use it with nibelheim nightmare!

I'm really struggling with the mote boss. Can I get some pointers? I might just stack my debuffs, but what's the most solid sleep enducing ability? I also have a lot of magic hones but very few magic SSB's. And I have two ultima swords [ix] that have that sleep proc.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Well 2nd pull netted me two holy rods and another stone blade.

No bursts this time, but my XII synergy is now pretty good!

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

superloosegoose posted:

Man I've whiffed on so many single pulls, but I've gotten two decent SSB's: fang's 6 hit fire/wind mag/atk down spear, and j just pulled balthier's 6 hit fire imperil gun... Can't wait to use it with nibelheim nightmare!

I'm really struggling with the mote boss. Can I get some pointers? I might just stack my debuffs, but what's the most solid sleep enducing ability? I also have a lot of magic hones but very few magic SSB's. And I have two ultima swords [ix] that have that sleep proc.

Don't rely on innate sleep proc, it's like 5%. Use phantasm. It's got the highest proc rate iirc.

If you have a decent magic weapon (doesn't have to be synergy), you can try slapping it on a darkness mage like edea or exdeath, use memento mori for a big mag boost, then RW a maria bsb. Use Sun fire once and it'll boost your magic a further 30% and spam break on red soul while the ogres are snoozing. You only need one cast of MM, so if you don't have it, it's cheap so get it :)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Inge posted:

Well 2nd pull netted me two holy rods and another stone blade.

No bursts this time, but my XII synergy is now pretty good!

The Holy Rod is also one of the better rods, thanks to its +Holy attribute. If your healer is actually doing any damage, go ahead and whack it on.

It's also a good enough weapon in-realm for any mage using Alexander (hi Ashe).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So what abilities are the absolute must-haves for mage teams? I've got Chain Firaga / Stonega / Thundaga from the events (all at R1), and I've got R4 Curaja along with R2 Shellga and Protectga for mitigation, but I'm not sure what to prioritize for offensive spells and I don't want to waste orbs.

For summons I'm going with Valefor first, just need to wait for another source of summon orbs first. I assume I want Diaga for holy damage, but do I go for the -aja elemental spells and skip the -agas, or do I skip them both and focus on the chain spells? Dark spells seem pretty good and get a pretty hefty boost through record diving (do they get the damage bonus from Black Magic *and* Dark Magic?) but the skills for it also seem very expensive, so I'm guessing that is something to shoot for later down the line.

So far I've basically got R2 Waterja and Ruinga, R2 Firaja, plus a smattering of -aga spells and utility stuff with low hones. I'm starting to level up the mages that I have gear for, so now I just have to figure out how to kit them out. Right now I'm basically running Terra, Garnet, Edea, Vincent, and Selphie as my mage team until I pull some good SBs / BSBs for other mages.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So what abilities are the absolute must-haves for mage teams? I've got Chain Firaga / Stonega / Thundaga from the events (all at R1), and I've got R4 Curaja along with R2 Shellga and Protectga for mitigation, but I'm not sure what to prioritize for offensive spells and I don't want to waste orbs.

For summons I'm going with Valefor first, just need to wait for another source of summon orbs first. I assume I want Diaga for holy damage, but do I go for the -aja elemental spells and skip the -agas, or do I skip them both and focus on the chain spells? Dark spells seem pretty good and get a pretty hefty boost through record diving (do they get the damage bonus from Black Magic *and* Dark Magic?) but the skills for it also seem very expensive, so I'm guessing that is something to shoot for later down the line.

So far I've basically got R2 Waterja and Ruinga, R2 Firaja, plus a smattering of -aga spells and utility stuff with low hones. I'm starting to level up the mages that I have gear for, so now I just have to figure out how to kit them out. Right now I'm basically running Terra, Garnet, Edea, Vincent, and Selphie as my mage team until I pull some good SBs / BSBs for other mages.
A good rule of thumb is don't commit to honing a chain -ga until you have an en- of that element or a character who otherwise specializes in that element, since they're a big investment.

Meltdown is a must once you have the team running enough to get through the hell that is Kaiser Dragon. I just have it at r1 and it seriously does SB-level damage in three elements.

You may want to have the -agas around in case of someone who has BLK 3 but not 4*, or in case of wanting to double up on an element against a boss weak to that element. Focus on getting your -ja collection to r3, anyway. Drainga is a good one to have, too.

Darkness abilities (Memento Mori, Dark Zone) are specifically NOT black magic, and things that boost Darkness don't boost dark element black magic like dark/darkra/darkga/drainga. Memento Mori/Dark Zone is a really powerful combo, though, and makes a mage self sufficient enough to work on a physical team.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I agree with the above with an extra note that it's basically impossible to waste 3* orbs if you keep up with events - once you're spending the bulk of your stamina on dailies you'll be swimming in them. Do not put much thought into how you spend them.

I'd also note that you probably want to swap someone out there for a 5* support even with a mage party structure. Full Break + Defensive Breakdown is pretty important for more difficult fights.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
World of Soul Breaks:

Lann's OSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRprcp5FR0A
Lann's BSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzS1NABBm8
Lann's SSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lnnfvmAvE

Reynn's BSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLx90JNtYas
Reynn's SSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHbdnYCPkYQ

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

A good rule of thumb is don't commit to honing a chain -ga until you have an en- of that element or a character who otherwise specializes in that element, since they're a big investment.

Meltdown is a must once you have the team running enough to get through the hell that is Kaiser Dragon. I just have it at r1 and it seriously does SB-level damage in three elements.

Question is, as someone who has Meltdown and Terra's Fire Beam, but also only has Celes's BSB as a faithga, is it worth it to hone up Chain Firaga if I can't get it to R4 or R5? It seems like there'd be too much downtime without the Enfire to really capitalize on both with reduced hones compared to plain Firaja.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

Inge posted:

Don't rely on innate sleep proc, it's like 5%. Use phantasm. It's got the highest proc rate iirc.

If you have a decent magic weapon (doesn't have to be synergy), you can try slapping it on a darkness mage like edea or exdeath, use memento mori for a big mag boost, then RW a maria bsb. Use Sun fire once and it'll boost your magic a further 30% and spam break on red soul while the ogres are snoozing. You only need one cast of MM, so if you don't have it, it's cheap so get it :)

Thanks! I just barely mastered it from your advice! Golbez died early on, but he did was doing almost 20k with break. R5 phantasm was key to the win.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Question is, as someone who has Meltdown and Terra's Fire Beam, but also only has Celes's BSB as a faithga, is it worth it to hone up Chain Firaga if I can't get it to R4 or R5? It seems like there'd be too much downtime without the Enfire to really capitalize on both with reduced hones compared to plain Firaja.

I imagine most people won't be able to hone it past R3 unless they want to ditch the other Chain spells, so you'd be fine.

One option is to give Terra Wrath so she can spam Fire Beam. It works better if you pull her OSB down the road though, since she can go Fire Beam > Wrathx2 > Meltdown/Chain Firaga > OSB.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

So i've pulled a few banners now, but I'm still pretty new (61 stam). I'm getting to the point I feel I should be starting to construct a team for going forward, but I've no idea what I should look to run.

Here's a current list of SBs -

Cloud OSB (Ragnarok)
Steiner SSB (Excalibur)
Fang USB (Glaive)
Exdeath USB (Moore Branch)
Garnet SSB (Wizard Rod)
Fran SSB (Traitor's Bow)
Faris BSB (Artemis Bow)
Yuffie SSB (Crystal Cross)
Hope BSB (Ninurta)
Sazh USB (Deneb Duellers)

I feel like Cloud's OSB is too good to not be using, and while I don't have her (I have a soul to buy her), I hear Faris' BSB is real good, so that would secure two spots. Beyond that, I don't really know what I'm doing. I figure that I'm leaning physical, but my understanding is the meta is shifting to mages?

Do I have the grains of a competent party here? Is there any banners in particularly I should be looking out for going forward to try and tighten a team? I'm pretty much just autoattacking my way through classic dungeons and the events right now, but I'm starting to hit that point where I feel I'm going to have to start paying attention!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Wilekat posted:

So i've pulled a few banners now, but I'm still pretty new (61 stam). I'm getting to the point I feel I should be starting to construct a team for going forward, but I've no idea what I should look to run.

Here's a current list of SBs -

Cloud OSB (Ragnarok)
Steiner SSB (Excalibur)
Fang USB (Glaive)
Exdeath USB (Moore Branch)
Garnet SSB (Wizard Rod)
Fran SSB (Traitor's Bow)
Faris BSB (Artemis Bow)
Yuffie SSB (Crystal Cross)
Hope BSB (Ninurta)
Sazh USB (Deneb Duellers)

I feel like Cloud's OSB is too good to not be using, and while I don't have her (I have a soul to buy her), I hear Faris' BSB is real good, so that would secure two spots. Beyond that, I don't really know what I'm doing. I figure that I'm leaning physical, but my understanding is the meta is shifting to mages?

Do I have the grains of a competent party here? Is there any banners in particularly I should be looking out for going forward to try and tighten a team? I'm pretty much just autoattacking my way through classic dungeons and the events right now, but I'm starting to hit that point where I feel I'm going to have to start paying attention!

You have a Hastega through Garnet who can act as a decent healer. Try to get the Dr. Mog's Teachings and Mako Might RMs ASAP to up your ability to take on difficult content.

You have a Boostga (30% attack for all) on Sazh, one of the better Support units you can have with his versatility. Same principal with the RM above.

What you are missing is a Wall (Tyro/Y'shtola) for some of the more difficult content, but you can use a Roaming Warrior to compensate for that.

You are also missing a solid Medica, so I would prioritize that in the future.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sprite141 posted:

This. I keep Yuffie in my party exclusively because of Clear Tranquil, an instant cast medica. I cannot count how many times that ability has saved a reload by having it on command. And hers isn;t even one of the really good ones, because she is a mediocre character otherwise.

Armitage posted:

I did hear horror stories about the Ult++ fight, and it was definitely a tough fight even using holy attacks. I got a battle where the knights used their AoE physical more often than the insane crazy-go-nuts physical and was able to beat it.

It was supposed to be difficult? I did it on the first try with only two characters having synergy weapons and one of those two character that didn't have anything but a basic attack (retaliate/draw fire did literally nothing for the entire fight, they ignored it. Even normal attacks for some reason)

I had enough casts of protectga and a wall on Y'shtola as my only defense. I didn't even use any abilities other than Soul Breaks until the third stage because I was expecting it to be far worse. The enemies spammed so many attacks that I had all the uses I could ever want of Faithful Companion, Requiem Of The Goddess, Clear Tranquil, Stoneskin II and Shout. The fight took forever because I was never hitting for more than 2000 or so a hit and in the last stage Thiefs Revenge hit for only 1000 with Shout up, but I was never in any danger of dying. Just keep up Protectga and Wall and make sure they never expire and plug away for over half an hour.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
am I crazy or are we supposed to be getting 25 free mithril before the XII event's out

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I think the reason why I heard bad things about the fight is that the knights can hit four times in a row. If it hits a character all four times then yeah you're boned. Unlike the Esthar Soldier fight you actually want the AoE attack

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

wizard on a water slide posted:

am I crazy or are we supposed to be getting 25 free mithril before the XII event's out

On Oct 31 apparently

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BitBasher posted:

This. I keep Yuffie in my party exclusively because of Clear Tranquil, an instant cast medica. I cannot count how many times that ability has saved a reload by having it on command. And hers isn;t even one of the really good ones, because she is a mediocre character otherwise.

Ninjas are kind of odd ducks. They'll never have the DPS of Combat thieves like Locke or Vaan, but they make up for it with utility and defense-piercing properties. Unfortunately, the overhead on Ninja magic is so low that you won't notice much of a difference unless your enemies have absurd defenses or you stack passive boosts. Yuffie in particular can serve double duty as backup support with the 4* dances and a good weapon + TR or Dismissal.

tl;dr: she's not exactly mediocre, it's just that ninjas don't fit your team comp. Clear Tranquil, naturally, is an amazing fit on her and elevates her to high-tier even if she's not an optimal fit. In fact, she works better with super-HP tanks like Gilgamesh and Cecil than your normal cura medica would, given the flat percentage restore, and she doesn't need to gear her mind up for it.

BitBasher posted:

It was supposed to be difficult? I did it on the first try with only two characters having synergy weapons and one of those two character that didn't have anything but a basic attack (retaliate/draw fire did literally nothing for the entire fight, they ignored it. Even normal attacks for some reason)

I had enough casts of protectga and a wall on Y'shtola as my only defense. I didn't even use any abilities other than Soul Breaks until the third stage because I was expecting it to be far worse. The enemies spammed so many attacks that I had all the uses I could ever want of Faithful Companion, Requiem Of The Goddess, Clear Tranquil, Stoneskin II and Shout. The fight took forever because I was never hitting for more than 2000 or so a hit and in the last stage Thiefs Revenge hit for only 1000 with Shout up, but I was never in any danger of dying. Just keep up Protectga and Wall and make sure they never expire and plug away for over half an hour.

Armitage posted:

I think the reason why I heard bad things about the fight is that the knights can hit four times in a row. If it hits a character all four times then yeah you're boned. Unlike the Esthar Soldier fight you actually want the AoE attack

The Knights battle is honestly a straight up Wall check. If you have Wall + Protectga, you'll be fine. Wall + Protectga + Exhausting Polka and they're kittens - kittens that melt at the slightest sign of Holy damage, at that. Without Wall, suddenly those 400 damage hits become 1100 damage hits and it's a lot harder to keep healed up from the constant onslaught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
So how rough is mote Ifrit? I've not done it yet, mostly because it kind of scares me how overtuned his damage is and I don't have any ice damage SBs, but I've done every other mote dungeon.

• Locked thread