Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

He's starring in the movie adaptation of that time he was on that cruise ship that tipped over slightly and he thought he was going to die in water just like the fortune cookies in his famous "china buffet sandwich" said!! Drama like this belongs on the silver screen. And what a leading man!

I'm having artistic whiplash here. I had almost forgotten how... unique M.W's old style was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Seriously? How can they miss such an easy set up? "What are you going as?" "A werewolf." There you go, bait and switch. It might not be funny, but at least it resembles a joke.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dirksteadfast posted:

Seriously? How can they miss such an easy set up? "What are you going as?" "A werewolf." There you go, bait and switch. It might not be funny, but at least it resembles a joke.

It also would have worked, as someone else would have noted, without the last panel entirely. This close to being funny-this close!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Death Ray posted:

Scott Adams has gone off the deep end...or has he??

Confessions of a Paid Hillary Operative

It's like how some people just snapped because of 9/11. Adams has snapped because a woman is being elected President.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Adams snapped before then

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
26 year old me wants to go back in time and tell 13 year old me Scott Adams is a rampant raging rear end in a top hat, just to see what 13 year old me's reaction would have been.

I read the comics pages religiously through middle and high school. I remember thinking that Dilbert was one of the "generally above par" comics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

sweeperbravo posted:

I read the comics pages religiously through middle and high school. I remember thinking that Dilbert was one of the "generally above par" comics.

I still think that for at least nine out of ten comics with the occasional slip up where the rear end in a top hat creeps in. Oh well, at least the cartoon was pretty good.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Tunicate posted:

Adams snapped before then

Most others do too. But something sets them off and they refuse to hide their shitiness anymore. Orson Scott Card comes to mind.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I'll have to find and post my old collection of comics I cut out from the paper. At one point half of my bedroom walls were covered in (mostly) newspaper comics that I thought were really funny. I specifically remember a Dilbert with Loud Howard, where Loud Howard is yelling right in Dilb's ear and the thought bubble was something like "Agh! His warm, moist breath is all over me!"

Most of the collection is probably F Minus. I also really liked Close to Home, which I know somebody in here talked about having to do the coloring for and despising it. I always thought the art was serviceable for the kind of humor, like a Far Side/Dinette Set type of jokes, like it was supposed to look ugly. Hit more often than miss for me anyway. TBF I don't think I'd want to color it either though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Most comics are best when they're new, before the creators get comfortable enough to start inserting their fetishes and prejudices.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bean_shadow posted:

Most others do too. But something sets them off and they refuse to hide their shitiness anymore. Orson Scott Card comes to mind.

It could all just be the internet+social progress.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I've given "The Gay Thirties" a lot of chances, but it reads overwhelmingly like a bitter "Out Our Way" where all the young boys are being scolded by strict moms, the awkward teens are tricked into spending their allowance on girls greedy for ice cream sodas, and the husbands lose every argument against their frankly bellicose wives. It's even less good-natured than a comic about The Urge to inflict violence on idiots and hypocrites.
Yeah, I love it too.

Sigh. Sadly, this is very timely now.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (July, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (October, 1915)

Guess If They Are Married! (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (February, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (January, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (July, 1940)

Tweedy (August, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1967)

Feiffer (1969, click for big)

Andy Capp (October, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (November, 1970, click for big)

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (August, 2009, click for big)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Slammy posted:

The Gay Thirties (February, 1935, click for big))

Ha, of course after I call TGT out for exorcising the creator's dissatisfaction with life, the very next panel has a genuinely warm nostalgia.

But then, idealizing Good Old Turn-of-the-Century Dad as contented, affluent, and respected still fits with the undercurrents of inferiority and resentment. ("Pop had it all . . . how come I get no respect from the missus?")

Slammy posted:

Yeah, I love it too.

I think I'm going to give this strip some more chances.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Slammy posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Oh god, I've done this with some nice, heavy, cut-glass ashtrays from my dad. I'm a plugger. :smith:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set protects peoples' jobs.

Working Daze makes an amazing observation like and share if you agree.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix ponders the nature of self-awareness.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set protects peoples' jobs.

It's me, the guy who remembers way too much of the suburban Midwest when he reads The Dinette Set.

I think the strips with the kid are the ones that bother me the most. The idea that these are adults who actively seek to suppress goodwill and empathy in the only child they regularly interact with, and that their behavior is generally fairly close to the way a lot of people really feel, bums me out something fierce.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

No. Do not bring Pinky into this.

Rip Kirby

Uraaaaannnniiiiuuuuuummmmm.....

Big Ben Bolt

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life - fear me great pumpkin

Take It From the Tinkersons - that sure was a great Halloween party at school, huh.

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner sums up its entire 19-year run as a comic in one strip.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:effort:

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 29, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Someone with actual art skills please do a rarebit version with fritzi shrinking in more and more panels

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (October 6, 1951)

Nancy (November 20, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (July 20, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (August 18, 1923)

Lil' Abner (April 17, 1937)

Barney Google (August 19, 1922)

Alley Oop (November 18, 1933)

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (November 20, 1943)

Well there's some slang for ya

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

One Big UnHappy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I heart bacon posted:

One Big UnHappy

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

As stupid as this business of recapping the stuff we just saw is, I do appreciate the cop's hat flying off his head in surprise.

I see the colorist doesn't know who Raggedy Ann is.

Luann

That's some great friending on both their parts. :rolleyes:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
While I still have the chance, I'm guessing that the Phantom's mole is the evil police officer, because of course the Phantom supports local police departments in authoritarian countries.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Nice attempt at a Cell costume.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

I recognise this expression from when I happen to see my reflection whilst marking student papers.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (November 19, 1943)

Today in "Stuff I Learn via the Comics Thread"... Here's a cool site about what liquid stockings were:
http://glamourdaze.com/2013/01/1940s-wartime-fashion-paint-your-own-stockings.html

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

That's some great friending on both their parts. :rolleyes:

Not to mention, "I had a guy do my homework for me! And then 3 guys who I've never met want to ask me out! And then another guy (who bailed me out when I was too stupid to come up with a basic answer about my "art") asked me out!" That's right, girls/young women who read Luann: the key to being a powerhouse woman is to make sure that men like you. And do your work for you.

Great message, Greg. Just great.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what kind of ding dong mickey mouse bullshit college is Luann going to

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Today in "Stuff I Learn via the Comics Thread"... Here's a cool site about what liquid stockings were:
http://glamourdaze.com/2013/01/1940s-wartime-fashion-paint-your-own-stockings.html

Not to mention, "I had a guy do my homework for me! And then 3 guys who I've never met want to ask me out! And then another guy (who bailed me out when I was too stupid to come up with a basic answer about my "art") asked me out!" That's right, girls/young women who read Luann: the key to being a powerhouse woman is to make sure that men like you. And do your work for you.

Great message, Greg. Just great.

Greg's daughter is writing it now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Her local community college I believe

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

do your work for you.

Luann confirmed for future middle manager.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Calaveron posted:

it's more of a rinky dink crackerjack dog & pony show imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs

Green Intern posted:

Nice attempt at a Cell costume.

actually, looking at the pattern I think that's supposed to be a ladybug costume. Is there a canadians with disablilities act, and they gave the colorists job to a colorblind person?

• Locked thread