Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeanBeansShako posted:

I remember using the extra diplomats to scout the map, forgetting about them when something important happened.

Then being reminded of them when they died a few decades later.

it was hilarious to forget about some priest or diplomat for literal decades and come back to him being an extremely experient and wise diplomat who gained tons of ranks by somehow creating an embassy on that foreign soil for ages.

or your priest has zero piety because he went crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mans posted:

it was hilarious to forget about some priest or diplomat for literal decades and come back to him being an extremely experient and wise diplomat who gained tons of ranks by somehow creating an embassy on that foreign soil for ages.

Then of course they die in two-three turns after this.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's no way to get a military access treaty as a horde is there? I can't even find a table to mod it into the game with.

e: In Attila

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 10, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The beast men dlc is kind of miserably overpriced isn't it?

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
It is, yeah. Plus I really didn't enjoy the minicampaign at all, felt rushed and less interesting than the grand campaign.

Beastmen as a faction on the GC are super fun though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Beastmen are very, very fun to play if you've already played and are good at the normal game. The horde mechanics are proper, you're not really supposed to do much/any politicking, and perhaps most importantly the units are cool and good.

Of course, you'll miss the ability to poo poo out full-sized armies left and right, knowing half of them won't come back home.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mans posted:

The best was taking all your priests and sending 'em on a tour of North Africa to start stackin' the papacy. Then you get the theologians guild buildings and pump out so many cardinals that no one else gets into the Collegia. Danish popes forever!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I've been wanting a 19th century China TW game or at least a mod for a while now, feels there's enough stuff and variety with the Taiping Rebellion and the Opium Wars for some cool factions and armies. For example, Qing Tiger Men.

They dressed as tigers and threw firecrackers to scare horses.

EDIT: Also I can't remember if water bullets were a thing in the Taiping Rebellion or I'm getting my info wrong? Idea being that the Taiping officiers shot their troops with dummy bullets that left no mark/visable wound, so they could trick their troops into thinking they're invincible.

That looks amazing. Total War: China would be pretty fantastic, if they could pull it off. There's so much possibility there, it's almost overwhelming.

I've been listening to Mike Duncan's Revolutions history podcast recently, and his coverage of the Haitian Revolution keeps reminding me of what a great Total War game it could be. You've got all these different factions, both foreign (French, British, Spanish, American) and domestic (Blacks, Whites, Coloreds, and lots of different combinations thereof under different leaders). You've got an island that is split into four or five distinct zones with unique geography and culture - endless cane fields, rugged mountains, extremely wealthy and European cities, and even Spanish hinterlands. There's a wide variety of different weapons and units possible, from machete-wielding slaves and veteran Maroon rebels, to Polish conscripts and British Redcoats. And to top it off, you've got tons of external influences and events going on - the French Revolution, economic and political changes in America and the Caribbean, the rise of Napoleon, on and off war with Britain, and of course the annual trauma of Yellow Fever. There's just so much material available. Of course the biggest problem is that not many people are familiar with Haitian history, or are interested in playing a game about it. But Total War: Caribbean would be so cool.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Back in the days of Civ2 there were a lot of fantastic modded scenarios, and one of the best was a Toussaint L'ouverture one.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
If anyone is interested in Warhammer Total War here's a 20% off code: KJO6P-9FQ43-I8GJN

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Total: Warhammer 20% off: 396YY-WNBR9-5FVAA

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Another Total: Warhammer 20% off code: REWZ4-7ZIRT-CW3T4

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Yet another Total War: Warhammer code courtesy of McGavin

JYEJY-5HN4I-EVFHA

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
0LA8P-FI*ZP-642EB edited slightly to stop code scraping bots which I hear is a problem again? the * is a Q

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Where are these codes coming from? I have Total Warhammer, but if I can dig up a code from my steam account somehow I'll add it to the pile.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

You need to go to a brick and mortar Games Workshop and ask for a code, they'll give you one for a legendary lord (Grombrindal the White Dwarf) and one for 20% off Total Warhammer

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
The newest Warhammer DLC was just announced and with it, news that the next, unannounced historical TW won't be a retread:

quote:

We've known that Creative Assembly has been working on a new historical Total War game for a while now, but many had assumed the studio would be returning to a familiar setting. It's been 10 years since Medieval II: Total War. Just saying.

However, during a roundtable discussion on the future of the Total War franchise, brand director Rob Bartholomew told Eurogamer that the team were in fact working on "an era we haven't tackled yet."

This means the next historical game won't be set in feudal Japan, the Roman republic or medieval Europe. Nor will we see a return to the Napoleonic Wars or the fight for American independence.

It's also mentioned that each faction having a very unique feel and playstyle, as in Warhammer, is something they're looking to carry forwards into the historical games. Somehow.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
30 years war please.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Arcsquad12 posted:

30 years war please.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

30 years war please.

This, Asia or the mid to late 19th century please.

Kind of sad we might not see another MTW or ETW.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Total war of the 3 kingdoms pls

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

This, Asia or the mid to late 19th century please.

Kind of sad we might not see another MTW or ETW.

The medieval kingdoms mod for Attila is good but I would like to see a new campaign. Now that they've got a much better optimized warscape engine for Warhammer I'd love to see them tackle larger scale combat since an historical total war wouldn't need as many unit skeletons.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Agean90 posted:

not emptyquoting

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm sure we'll get another Medieval one at some point, but I wonder if they're thinking Warhammer might step on its toes a bit if it came out at the moment.

Arcsquad12 posted:

30 years war please.

yes, unique factions, such as one side with pike blocks, facing their varied opponent of the other side with pike blocks.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 17, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Agean90 posted:

Yeah they can have all the legend and magic stuff there too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Koramei posted:

I'm sure we'll get another Medieval one at some point, but I wonder if they're thinking Warhammer might step on its toes a bit if it came out at the moment.

yes, unique factions, such as one side with pike blocks, facing their varied opponent of the other side with pike blocks.

Various fabulous landsneckts and twelve flavors of Italian backstabbing.
Avatar mod where you get to pick the size of your codpiece

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 17, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

30 years war please.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Victoria Total War or bust, as long as they don't count The Best Total War experience Fall of the Samurai

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
All I want is an interesting TW, why they got to play me like this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Generation Internet posted:

Victoria Total War or bust, as long as they don't count The Best Total War experience Fall of the Samurai

Start before Victoria with Crimea and Taiping rebelluon, move on through the colonial and Boer wars and end with the boxer rebellion.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Start before Victoria with Crimea and Taiping rebelluon, move on through the colonial and Boer wars and end with the boxer rebellion.
Play up the terrain deformation features, and end with WWI. Direct your troops to dig trenches! Send wave after wave of men at enemy entrenchments and drat the consequences, you got more men you can throw that way!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It would be kind of neat if they mixed things up and evolved formations from the more linear to the company/platoon flexibility of the 20th century.

CharlestheHammer posted:

All I want is an interesting TW, why they got to play me like this.

Cheer up, they'll announce whatever they picked in January with a neat infodump!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's probably going to be like "we've done Medieval total war twice and we promised we wouldn't do a third version of the same game so instead of making another game based on high medieval period we're bringing you Total War. Late Medieval Period!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's gonna be Rome vs China, finally settling the question once and for all - which Immortal God-Emperor was truly the mightiest?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

30 years war please.

Yes please. Total War: Pike and Shot.

Military tactics changed pretty dramatically during that time period so it's not like you would be stuck using just pike blocks.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Kenzie posted:

Military tactics changed pretty dramatically during that time period so it's not like you would be stuck using just pike blocks.

Yes, let me caracole my way to a crushing defeat :getin:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
What about an ancient civilization one focused in the fertile crescent? Egypt, babylon, sumerians? I'm struggling to think of another history period they have not done other than China's warring states period. People mentioned WW1, but I always thought that would be super impractical with an engine focused on rank and file battles and cohesive units movement.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StarMinstrel posted:

What about an ancient civilization one focused in the fertile crescent? Egypt, babylon, sumerians? I'm struggling to think of another history period they have not done other than China's warring states period. People mentioned WW1, but I always thought that would be super impractical with an engine focused on rank and file battles and cohesive units movement.

It'd be cool to see a Total War-style WW1 game, but yeah it absolutely wouldn't work by just taking the existing TW system and slapping a Pickelhaube on everyone. The TW engine is pretty firmly limited to time periods where rank-and-file formation fighting was the standard

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I feel like that would be too broad a period to do it any respect. Traditionally the more modern settings take place in a shorter timeframe, which I can appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

It would be kind of neat if they mixed things up and evolved formations from the more linear to the company/platoon flexibility of the 20th century.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

That said, I haven't played Total War: War Hammer, so I haven't kept up with the latest CA design choices.