Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm guessing roller shade, but whatever it is, the business end of it is gone, and whatever you put in will come with something new to mount it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cool. I'll probs just get some bigass curtains and call it a day.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I moved the bulk of my stuff (from the subset that was deemed keepable) from my old apartment to the new one yesterday.

I woke up this morning to a tap-tap-tap sound from the kitchen.

The hose from the wall to the washing machine spring a leak overnight and ran all over the kitchen floor.

My aquatic misadventures continue.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Toshimo posted:

I moved the bulk of my stuff (from the subset that was deemed keepable) from my old apartment to the new one yesterday.

I woke up this morning to a tap-tap-tap sound from the kitchen.

The hose from the wall to the washing machine spring a leak overnight and ran all over the kitchen floor.

My aquatic misadventures continue.

Even the cheapest of washing machines here boast with double layer water leak detection hoses.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hooray for new apartment.

It's not as ~gooncavey~ as the old one, but give it time.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Your carpets and chairs remind me of college :unsmith:

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Don't sell yourself short. That place has 100% gooncave sex appeal.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yep, 100% Gooncave. No decoration is as bad as sexy anime babes on the walls. Is it a college dorm? I see no evidence of a Bathroom even. Theres a regular single door, which I imagine is the apartment door and then the double doors, which I imagine is the closet.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

extravadanza posted:

Yep, 100% Gooncave. No decoration is as bad as sexy anime babes on the walls. Is it a college dorm? I see no evidence of a Bathroom even. Theres a regular single door, which I imagine is the apartment door and then the double doors, which I imagine is the closet.

:notsureifserious: but, here's the full album of pix from before I got furniture in.

Toshimo posted:

Woop! Woop!

I have pics of my new apartment.

One of the workers even left me the best/worst easter egg.

http://imgur.com/a/CmDbv

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Toshimo posted:

:notsureifserious: but, here's the full album of pix from before I got furniture in.

Oh yea, that puts the rooms in context. Great kitchen. Gas mfing burners.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What could these electrical sockets halfway up my wall be for? The only thing I could think of is for a TV to hide the cables, but there's a ton of cable points here and none by there. I think I'm going to find a way to mount that little light there to cover it, but I'm curious as to whether they're meant for something else.

The lack of on/off switches on American sockets is a shame, as I keep having to pull the cable out to turn things off. It's a standard thing back home and I'm quite used to it, although I quite like the binding of the wall light switches to an electrical outlet like we have here. That confused me for a while, and I still occasionally turn my cable box off in our bedroom out of reflexes sometimes.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 22, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
In the 50s and 60s it was pretty standard to put a "clock outlet" at about that height in a place where it could be seen from a few rooms - that's where you'd hang your electric clock. Some years later they remodeled the place and rather than remove the outlet (a pain in the rear end), they just replaced the clock outlet with a regular duplex outlet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The more you know! That makes sense. The place is from the 70s but that adds up. Nice to know what it was supposed to be about, thanks.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Depends on when in the 70's. It is equally possible that they needed to add an outlet near the ground, and to do that they had to put a hole in the wall above it to fish the wire, and when they finished installing the ground level outlet, it was either patch, mud, and tape a hole, or.... wait, we have one more j-box, we'll just put this random outlet at 5' off the ground.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Has anyone ever bought a decorative looking indoor raised planter to put in front of a big window or back door? I want to start a little herb garden inside, in front of the side of my French doors that I don't ever open. It has to be kind of tall so as to not invite my dog to go playing in it. I'd love recommendations for specific models, brand names, American stores, websites, or even just what terms I should google with. Everything I've found is either for outside (drains to the floor) or is intended for a windowsill.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What about a sofa table with pots on it? Sofa tables are higher than coffee tables or end tables.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
That could be cute. If I can't find a designated planter I might try that.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drat Bananas posted:

Has anyone ever bought a decorative looking indoor raised planter to put in front of a big window or back door? I want to start a little herb garden inside, in front of the side of my French doors that I don't ever open. It has to be kind of tall so as to not invite my dog to go playing in it. I'd love recommendations for specific models, brand names, American stores, websites, or even just what terms I should google with. Everything I've found is either for outside (drains to the floor) or is intended for a windowsill.

Last time I was in Ikea we saw this and wanted to get it but it was sold out.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40258154/

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

If you live in a rented apartment, are landlords typically required to furnish a fire extinguisher? I assumed the answer would be yes but it looks like it's generally 'probably not.' I live in Maryland if that helps.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

ultrabay2000 posted:

If you live in a rented apartment, are landlords typically required to furnish a fire extinguisher? I assumed the answer would be yes but it looks like it's generally 'probably not.' I live in Maryland if that helps.

This is state dependent, but I believe generally the only thing required is a smoke detector.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
City ordinance too. My city requires my landlord to have smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Just got my first rent increase. It's reasonable, but now that I'm on month-to-month I'm wondering how many times I might get hit from this point onward. Do non-rear end in a top hat landlords typically stick to annual increases?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

What could these electrical sockets halfway up my wall be for? The only thing I could think of is for a TV to hide the cables, but there's a ton of cable points here and none by there. I think I'm going to find a way to mount that little light there to cover it, but I'm curious as to whether they're meant for something else.

The lack of on/off switches on American sockets is a shame, as I keep having to pull the cable out to turn things off. It's a standard thing back home and I'm quite used to it, although I quite like the binding of the wall light switches to an electrical outlet like we have here. That confused me for a while, and I still occasionally turn my cable box off in our bedroom out of reflexes sometimes.

I can't really tell from your picture but if there is not a lamp above there it may be for one of those hanging plug-in lamps? I have one of those not six feet from where I'm sitting and a mid-wall outlet would make things look significantly less cable-y in here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's no lamps there, but that's what I use it for due to the lack of good light when we're eating.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Just got my first rent increase. It's reasonable, but now that I'm on month-to-month I'm wondering how many times I might get hit from this point onward. Do non-rear end in a top hat landlords typically stick to annual increases?

If you're on month-to-month, expect the maximum legal increase every month (usually somewhere around 5%) until you're at 25-33% of what your 12 month leased cost would be. It's the price you'll pay for the flexibility that MTM offers.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

As a pretty generic rule of thumb, many landlords will keep you at 10% less than market rent. Expect a rent increase once a year or so, unless the market is flat (which it's not right now). I wait two years and bring the rent up to 10% under value.

Don't think of landlords as assholes. Have less stress in your life. If grocery store #1 has peas at $1.25 a can and grocery store #2 has peas at $1 a can, it doesn't make grocery store #1 an rear end in a top hat. It's a liquid market. If your peas are worth the buck twenty-five, pay it. If not, move. But don't harbor that anger.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

As a pretty generic rule of thumb, many landlords will keep you at 10% less than market rent. Expect a rent increase once a year or so, unless the market is flat (which it's not right now). I wait two years and bring the rent up to 10% under value.

Don't think of landlords as assholes. Have less stress in your life. If grocery store #1 has peas at $1.25 a can and grocery store #2 has peas at $1 a can, it doesn't make grocery store #1 an rear end in a top hat. It's a liquid market. If your peas are worth the buck twenty-five, pay it. If not, move. But don't harbor that anger.

And if the fact that your landlord is jacking up rent at four times the rate of inflation is upsetting to you, maybe it's time to start pricing guillotines instead of peas.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I live in a month-to-month in LA for like three years and rent only went up twice, on a yearly basis. YMMV, It comes down to landlord discretion I think.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This rent increase was only the minimum 3% so I'm not sure how likely it is that it'll get hiked by the max every month until it hits a certain threshold, but it's something I'll keep in mind.

I rent this place with my brother. He makes good money; I save good money. His credit's probably decent; mine is bulletproof. We keep the place clean, only had to make one repair request in the last twelve months (backed up pipes) and five days out of the week it's quiet as a mausoleum in here. Hopefully that'll factor into any future rent increases, because the location of this place for someone like me (no car, not much social life, little need to eat out) is in "too good to be true" territory.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As you see from the various responses, it depends on the landlord.

My company does a set amount over the market rate, and folks on month to month get increases only when the market rent has increased by a certain amount, typically not more than twice a year.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

And if the fact that your landlord is jacking up rent at four times the rate of inflation is upsetting to you, maybe it's time to start pricing guillotines instead of peas.
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but this is the dead-center of the bullseye of "have less stress in your life" that I mentioned in my last post.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

photomikey posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but this is the dead-center of the bullseye of "have less stress in your life" that I mentioned in my last post.

You're an rear end in a top hat.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

I would have a lot less stress in my life if local landlords weren't jacking up rent 10% every year while pay only goes up about 3%, and then acting like moving isn't a big deal.

Not to mention getting pissy when you do decide to move, and hanging on to the security deposit just because they know they can get away with it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So sign a contract? It doesn't make him evil because you both like money but he owns the property.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GORDON posted:

So sign a contract? It doesn't make him evil because you both like money but he owns the property.

No, but it does make him an rear end in a top hat for saying "don't stress about the rent increase, it's fine; just move if you don't like it, it's like buying a can of peas."

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I get lovely renters and it's much harder to get rid of them than it is for you to dump a lovely landlord. Just like it seems to you that the deck is stacked against the tenant, when you are the landlord, it feels like the deck is stacked against you.

Here's the deal though, when I get a lovely tenant, I can stew about it and get all internet-angsty, or I can do some due diligence beforehand, sign a good contract, get a deposit, and handle issues as they come up in the right way. Sometimes it goes pear-shaped anyway, and when that happens, you can act like it's ruining your life or you can loving live with it. At the very least, don't get loving angsty before anything happens. It's not a landlord/tenant thing, it's a lifestyle. Use some nailpolish remover and get rid of the black nailpolish and go outside on sunny days.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Being a landlord is a choice for you, and you can easily stop landlording anytime if you think it's too much hassle. So feeling chill is a reasonable reaction. Being a renter is not a choice, and most people find it very difficult, if not impossible, to stop. So feeling powerless is a reasonable reaction.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You are living in my $500k investment where you could, in a half hour, do $100k in damage, and the deposit I have collected from you is $1k. The powerless feeling goes around.

I can lay awake at night worrying about it, or I can do my due diligence and then when the time comes to make tough decisions, make them.

For every "rear end in a top hat landlord" story you can lay out, I bet I can lay out five rear end in a top hat tenant stories. But life's too short. Don't live it angry.

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof
dude with a new mercedes and 500k sitting around making him money without him having to lift a finger: "why can't you just be chill, like me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
"Just be chill" is good advice for everybody.