Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nessus posted:

Bipartisan compromise: Newt gets his moon base, Comey gets to man it
Newt gets his moon base. He stripped of citizenship, but named Mayor of the Moon. He receives an official top hat and tuxedo to strut around the base with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Night10194 posted:

Didn't they already do this to him with the "They swore scouts honor no leaking!" *Immediately leaked* investigation records in September?

Yes. He's just really bad at this

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I can't wait for this god damned election circus to be over.

Jesus Visnu Christ.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

That's such an amusing subtextual apology

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crazy Ted posted:

Newt gets his moon base. He stripped of citizenship, but named Mayor of the Moon. He receives an official top hat and tuxedo to strut around the base with.
Good plan, all key deplorable ringleaders get deported to Moonbase Gingrich

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Necc0 posted:

Yes. He's just really bad at this

Or he's using his terribleness at this to try to cover his rear end after he hosed up a hatchet job.

Florida Ghost
Apr 5, 2011

Comey trying to cover his rear end in case he wants to run for a seat or something with the Repubs in the future. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Remember a few hours ago when people said this was going to make Trump win lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How the gently caress did they get to be so bad at this? Is it just a turn of the aeon or has the Doomstar risen to anoint Hillary as the Slayer of the GOP?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well now that we know what's likely in the e-mails I think everyone has moved on to "What the gently caress is going on here seriously." It sure will put some more wind in the sails of Trump's base, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is very clearly a hatchet job.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Comey and Chaffetz should write a book on what not to do in politics. They certainly have the experience for it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
when you've lost draco malfoy...

https://twitter.com/megynkelly/status/792171887254056960

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nessus posted:

Good plan, all key deplorable ringleaders get deported to Moonbase Gingrich
Could you just imagine if Alex Jones was appointed Commander of the Moonbase Defense Force?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was worried when things first broke I'll admit it.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

Your posts are essentially stating that Huma Abedin is responsible for her husband's criminal activities, which are just desserts for her to lose her job. You have also been implying she is actually complicit in them, as best as I can tell.

Hanging out with creeps, pedophiles, sex offenders, or people affiliated as such while running for office is a fantastic way to commit political suicide.

And no. She's not complicit. But she is stupid for getting entangled in it, especially if she was already aware of his activities (i.e. anything no later than his admission back in 2011). These are the kind of legal battles you would do best to avoid for your entire life.

And the general public will always see it in a worse light than above. You're going to have an even hard time convincing anyone of the FBI being apolitical in nature. This has simply never been true but somehow this lie is being perpetuated in this thread.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

when news agencies frame things in the most inflammatory way possible to get page views it's pretty easy to fear the worst

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

rscott posted:

when news agencies frame things in the most inflammatory way possible to get page views it's pretty easy to fear the worst

Thank god it was in the middle of the afternoon on a workday. By the evening things had already started to course correct.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mel Mudkiper posted:

there's scenarios where it has no impact, but i can't envision a reality where this helps clinton. the big three cable news companies are still running with "FBI Reopens Investigation On Clinton," which is not a good look for the campaign. idk what the effect on polling will be, but it will likely not be positive

this thread should probably try to find a happy medium between the "the future is obdurate. the democrats will win the presidency and the senate" and the "everything matters. clinton is going to lose and we are all going to die" crowd.

this apology would be more believable if the original message had been delivered to the public in the form of a press conference explaining the situation instead of in a vague and vaguely menacing letter to congress

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

And the general public will always see it in a worse light than above. You're going to have an even hard time convincing anyone of the FBI being apolitical in nature. This has simply never been true but somehow this lie is being perpetuated in this thread.

Of course even Hoover couldn't believe Trump:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Was Comey's letter to Congress originally released by Comey to the public as well, or was Chaffetz patient zero in all of this?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So Huma is supposed to divorce her husband for sexting five years before he's suspected of anything illicit? And Hillary is supposed to fire Huma because her husband was sexting?

The Democratic Party forced him to resign nearly immediately and never backed him as soon as it broke in 2011.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Hanging out with creeps, pedophiles, sex offenders, or people affiliated as such while running for office is a fantastic way to commit political suicide.

And no. She's not complicit. But she is stupid for getting entangled in it, especially if she was already aware of his activities (i.e. anything no later than his admission back in 2011). These are the kind of legal battles you would do best to avoid for your entire life.

but huma abedin isn't running for office and hillary clinton doesn't hang out with anthony weiner so what the gently caress are you even talking about

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Hell of a last impression though. Plus this comes on a Friday so this is now the story for the weekend, not even what is the follow up but this initial vague story. The perception is not good.

Who loving cares?

Not a rhetorical question. Who is the person that actually cares about this, and what reaction does that have on the election in general?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Was Comey's letter to Congress originally released by Comey to the public as well, or was Chaffetz patient zero in all of this?

The House of Representatives seems to have been ground zero, which makes Comey's claim about "needing to inform the public" really weird.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Comey knew that if it came out that he was continuing anything related to the Clinton investigation without having said anything, it could only make him look bad. Congress would say he lied to them and was trying to protect Clinton. Clinton supporters would be mad he was continuing and investigation that they think is illegitimate. Sending the memo to Congress is a really easy call on his part.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 29, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The letter was sent to the members of eight congressional committees, and Chaffetz put it on the Tweeter and immediately said that either the investigation was reopened or that a new investigation was starting.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I had a horrible day at work.

Like, my account was $80k under for the month on a topline annual revenue of $6mil. It's going to take all year to claw back.

I can't loving imagine a day at work like these people are having. It's not worth it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not everyone can be as cool and smart ad Melville Delano Mudkiper

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mulva posted:

Who loving cares?

Not a rhetorical question. Who is the person that actually cares about this, and what reaction does that have on the election in general?

The Clinton campaign is preparing a shark tank to lower Comey into.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's better that Obama avoids getting involved, it's just going to make it seem like Obama is trying to shut up someone trying to 'expose' Clinton (in some people's views). I do think that there is a shift now against Comey for doing this so close to the election and not providing any details about what was going on, which then left it to the media to fill in the gaps.

Half of Republicans are still birthers. It's time to stop worrying about their perceptions.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I mean, I don't want to say I told you so, but for the record I did tell you so.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

For the record I am still worried about this. Snap polls have Hillary loosing as much as 30% of her support. That's probably very high, but it isn't a good implication.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/792172427971145728

:lol:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Maybe when it fizzled out he realized poo poo Hillary really is gonna be president and he's trying to save his job.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

"poo poo I GOTTA LEAK THIS BEFORE ONE OF MY GUYS LEAKS IT"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

For the record I am still worried about this. Snap polls have Hillary loosing as much as 30% of her support. That's probably very high, but it isn't a good implication.
Hillary Clinton Is Not Going To Lose 30 Percent Of Her Voters Because Of A Retread Of Old Scandals. Period. End of line. This would require this to be quantifiably worse for Hillary than Donald Trump's pussy-grab comments were for him, and instantly. This would require Hillary to be on camera murdering a baby or something.

Thirty percent of her LEAD as reflected in raw polls, I'll buy as a reasonable snap.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nessus posted:

How the gently caress did they get to be so bad at this? Is it just a turn of the aeon or has the Doomstar risen to anoint Hillary as the Slayer of the GOP?
TRULY WE ARE LIVING IN THE BEST OF TIMELINES :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

hint: those were fake, it was a joke

• Locked thread