Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

There's a Fedex DC10 on fire on the runway at FLL too.

WTF? Is this some Buddhist monk 9/11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don't see anything open - how did the crew get out? They did get out before the fire right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It looks like the fire was associated with the left engine, so I assume they exited somewhere on the right to avoid being, you know, in the fire.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Who here is building one of these?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1875384309357209&id=100006569738723

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

So, standing inside the prop arc to turn the thing on/off, props in plane with the passenger's head, power lines, fod blowing about... and you don't even get to hold the controls yourself?!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't see anything open - how did the crew get out? They did get out before the fire right.

News says crew safe. Video clip of the fire as well: http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Fed-Ex-399093511.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

News says crew safe. Video clip of the fire as well: http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Fed-Ex-399093511.html

No slides on cargo planes?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

It's FedEx, so there's a note on the door and the pilots are available for delivery at the local parcel center.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

L1 is the primary door, but every conversion I've ever seen retains the slides on L1 and R1. UPS operates a bunch of 757-200Fs that were built without R1 doors.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

Nope, only hammers and a speargun.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Okay I know about the hammer but I have never heard about a speargun :stare:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Duke Chin posted:

Nope, only hammers and a speargun.
:wow:

For the confused:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Express_Flight_705

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm guessing it was removed by the firefighters after things started to settle down because they tend to blow around in the wind.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011
Given the attitude of the plane the slide on R1 would have been nearly vertical and L1 puts you out the side with the fire so the crew elected to exit the FO's cockpit window down the rope. If you watch the video on the page Ola linked you can see it hanging down the side of the nose.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Well well well, looks like the old girl is here to stay

http://www.businessinsider.com/air-force-keep-a10-indefinitely-2016-10

quote:

Air Force Materiel Command chief Gen. Ellen Pawlikowski recently told AviationWeek that the depot line that maintains and repairs the Air Force's 283 A-10s has been reopened to full capacity.

http://i.imgur.com/Q0RoPyF.mp4

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 29, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

we're in jail dude

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ola posted:

It's FedEx, so there's a note on the door and the pilots are available for delivery at the local parcel center.

This made me laugh harder than it should've.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Soooooooooooooooooooooo.... think it's a write-off? :v:

Scratch, Dent & Ding sale, perhaps?
also: RIP luggage

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Nah, Allegiant is probably already on the phone wondering how much American wants for the airplane.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Meanwhile, the FedEx plane is a trijet, so I can only imagine that Delta is angling for it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Meanwhile, the FedEx plane is a trijet, so I can only imagine that Delta is angling for it.

Delta hasn't flow a trijet in over a decade.

I mean, yes they were flying 727s in the 21st century but hey they stopped!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Delta hasn't flow a trijet in over a decade.

I mean, yes they were flying 727s in the 21st century but hey they stopped!

The 727 was the coolest airliner Boeing ever built. I miss seeing them in the air.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OBL killed passenger 727s.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Previa_fun posted:

The 727 was the coolest airliner Boeing ever built. I miss seeing them in the air.

I'll bite: why?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

PT6A posted:

Trijets best jets. v:shobon:v

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

Because there aren't many airliners with the kind of performance that the 727 has. It could fly in and out of 5000-foot airfields all day long, cruise at up to Mach 0.9 (which back in the bad old days they would do all the loving time) and/or fly transcontinental non-stop. It was at home flying off of a gravel or dirt runway (as First Air and others would do north of 60) as it was in a conventional hub-and-spoke system. Beyond that, it was a rugged and dependable aircraft that was a dream to fly; I've mucked around in a 727 sim and I can vouch for that aspect.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Also: License to Ill

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrChips posted:

Because there aren't many airliners with the kind of performance that the 727 has. It could fly in and out of 5000-foot airfields all day long, cruise at up to Mach 0.9 (which back in the bad old days they would do all the loving time) and/or fly transcontinental non-stop. It was at home flying off of a gravel or dirt runway (as First Air and others would do north of 60) as it was in a conventional hub-and-spoke system. Beyond that, it was a rugged and dependable aircraft that was a dream to fly; I've mucked around in a 727 sim and I can vouch for that aspect.

Why don't modern airliners, with superior metallurgy and engine technology, have similar performance?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Specialization makes the engineering easier. Why have one plane with short-field performance, transcontinental range, survive rough runways and fly well, when you can build a large agile ocean-crosser and a smaller more rugged regional plane?

Extra-strong landing gear, for example, add weight, which runs at cross purposes to a lightweight aircraft that gets maximum fuel economy on long flights.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Why don't modern airliners, with superior metallurgy and engine technology, have similar performance?

It has three engines on a plane that’s basically 737‐sized, and those engines make no concessions for noise or fuel economy.

High‐bypass turbofans are large and they hang low. That is a major damper on the potential to operate from gravel strips, plus there’s just no demand for that nowadays. The 727 is over fifty years old.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sagebrush posted:

Well the 757 matches and exceeds the 727 in nearly every way, which should come as no surprise when you consider it was designed to be a direct replacement for the 727.

The thing is that performance is very expensive, not just to develop and build but to care for and feed on a daily basis. Oversize engines are less efficient at cruise than a smaller engine that runs closer to its maximum power; wings with complicated high-lift devices to get in and out of short fields are complicated to design and manufacture as well as being very maintenance-intensive. And Enourmo touched on the landing gear issue.

Facilities at these smaller airports have improved to the point that a lot of the performance points that drove the 727 and even the 757 design are obsolete, though admittedly a whole new set of performance points have emerged that suddenly make the 757 a very attractive aircraft on a new class of routes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrChips posted:

It was a good aircraft, for sure, but Boeing has built a lot of cool airliners with relatively revolutionary capabilities, relative to the markets that need serving when they're being designed and built. 727 is definitely in the running for coolest Boeing airliner, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The 707 is the best because Tex Johnson rolled it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Platystemon posted:

This is true.

Really, the only uncool Boeing airliner is the 767, and it's still a very good plane even if it's not cool. EDIT: Unless operated by WestJet apparently, in which case it has the reliability of Lada.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Is the argument of "what's the uncoolest airliner" exactly overlapping with the argument of "what's the boringist airliner?"

Because either way, I have perversely strong opinions

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Platystemon posted:

OBL killed passenger 727s.

Osama Bin Laden?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Platystemon posted:

Agreed. And is also Boeing's most visually arresting civilian aircraft. It's a timeless beauty.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

You mean the dash 80.
:goonsay:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

holocaust bloopers posted:

Agreed. And is also Boeing's most visually arresting civilian aircraft. It's a timeless beauty.

Only with the original JT3D nacelles, preferably unpainted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

Only with the original JT3D nacelles, preferably unpainted.

JT3C > JT3D, even with the goofy hushkits. Old jet nacelles were so drat futuristic looking, in that "future as seen from the 1950s" way.