Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Dead Reckoning posted:

Comey knew that if it came out that he was continuing anything related to the Clinton investigation without having said anything, it could only make him look bad. Sending the memo to Congress is a really easy call on his part.

I think people are questioning the means more than anything. It would be one thing if the statement had been delivered clearly and in detail with all the necessary caveats. Instead, we get a vague, three-paragraph memo at the end of the work day and a similarly short clarification in the middle of the night.

If Comey wanted to inform the public, he probably should not have done so in a format that would spur rampant speculation and fear.

edit: okay, i understand the impulse but that info should probably have been specified up front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Comey knew that if it came out that he was continuing anything related to the Clinton investigation without having said anything, it could only make him look bad. Sending the memo to Congress is a really easy call on his part.

No it isn't because Comey hosed things over from the start by publicly litigating this. Him continuing to publicly litigate this is evidence why the FBI doesn't publicly litigate this poo poo in the first place. His decision to do so is entirely on him.

Sending a memo to congress, especially in that format with no explanations whatsoever is just more evidence of Comey tampering.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ogmius815 posted:

For the record I am still worried about this. Snap polls have Hillary loosing as much as 30% of her support. That's probably very high, but it isn't a good implication.

This is impossible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What snap polls? Where are there any snap polls? I have heard of literally none and I've been all over the major news sites all day.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

QuoProQuid posted:

I think people are questioning the means more than anything. It would be one thing if the statement had been delivered clearly and in detail with all the necessary caveats. Instead, we get a vague, three-paragraph at the end of the work day and a similarly short clarification in the middle of the night.

If Comey wanted to inform the public, he probably should not have done so in a format that would spur rampant speculation and fear.
But if he wanted to throw a bucket of pig poo poo onto Hillary's campaign to try to salvage Republican electoral fortunes, now...!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ogmius815 posted:

For the record I am still worried about this. Snap polls have Hillary loosing as much as 30% of her support. That's probably very high, but it isn't a good implication.

Poll the thread for who pulled support since these "revelations"

That's as accurate as a snap poll.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Sorry Comey, but I'm afraid I have to say it.

You're fired :smugdon:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What snap polls? Where are there any snap polls? I have heard of literally none and I've been all over the major news sites all day.

Someone posted some fake polls and the people in the thread eager to arzy immediately fell for it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crazy Ted posted:

"poo poo I GOTTA LEAK THIS BEFORE ONE OF MY GUYS LEAKS IT"

"Oh no how did it leak."

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Someone posted some fake polls and the people in the thread eager to arzy immediately fell for it.

Probably the only funny posts all day tbh

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Some very obviously fake polls because if you're not 100% over this email witch hunt you also aren't planning on voting for clinton.

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
This caller talking to ashbrook on NPR rambling about O'Keefe videos.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The fake polls thing was dumb as hell

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Nessus posted:

But if he wanted to throw a bucket of pig poo poo onto Hillary's campaign to try to salvage Republican electoral fortunes, now...!

yeah, i really don't think the director of the FBI manipulated an ongoing investigation to help donald j. trump.

it's a bad, politically deaf move, but one that doesn't require comey to be a cartoon villain

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Night10194 posted:

"Oh no how did it leak."
"GUYS, GUYS, I SWEAR TO CHRIST IF I SEE ANY MORE LEAKS OUT OF THIS OFFICE..."

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

straight up brolic posted:

Agreed, best part of the thread today.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Hillary didn't lose even 10% of her supporters when she almost collapsed on 911. Chill.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Yeah but the meltdown responses were pretty good

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Crazy Ted posted:

The letter was sent to the members of eight congressional committees, and Chaffetz put it on the Tweeter and immediately said that either the investigation was reopened or that a new investigation was starting.

Well, since that's the case, the idea of Comey coming out and apologizing is silly. If republican congressional members found out about this after the election it would have been a bigger shitstorm. He decided to cover his rear end but went about it with a terribly composed letter.

The best reaction I've heard about this just occurred on CNN -- a reporter said that one of Clinton's aides said that the worst thing that could happen to Clinton was that people would be talking about her right before the election. Running a campaign for the presidency and you don't want people talking about you.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The FBI comes out of Obama's term looking like by far the most incompetent branch of US intelligence, which is seriously impressive

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

yeah, i really don't think the director of the FBI manipulated an ongoing investigation to help donald j. trump.

it's a bad, politically deaf move, but one that doesn't require comey to be a cartoon villain
Why the gently caress wouldn't he? I mean, the last twenty years haven't exactly instilled a profound respect for the dispassionate fairness of the Republican Party and members thereof in me, personally.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/imwiththoughts/status/792177668154359808

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/DevlinBarrett/status/792163146366582788

https://twitter.com/catcharusspy/status/792162824009113600

Even better than duplicate e-mails - an entire duplicate account!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

farraday posted:

No it isn't because Comey hosed things over from the start by publicly litigating this. Him continuing to publicly litigate this is evidence why the FBI doesn't publicly litigate this poo poo in the first place. His decision to do so is entirely on him.

Sending a memo to congress, especially in that format with no explanations whatsoever is just more evidence of Comey tampering.
It's really on him, yes. He didn't have to call a press conference to announce the findings of the investigation. He could have just given the report to Lynch. Instead not only did he grandstand but he decided to editorialize about Clinton's handling of emails when he was not doing anything beyond assessing whether crimes were committed or not. It wasn't his place to make claims about Hillary's judgment.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
To summarize my expectations on this on Hillary's support (it isn't GOOD, but it's not DOOOOOOM):

1. Your dumbass Trump supporting friends and family who are screaming "LOCK HER UP" were already being loving idiots and voting for Trump.
2. Republicans who didn't like Trump were probably going to lie back and think of Reagan and vote Trump anyways.
3. Independents are probably more likely to say 'EVERYONE'S poo poo' and just not vote. A few may switch to Trump...
4. ... but they're morons. Hillary's e-mails are a well worn story by now, and most independents who support her already knew and are sick to death of the emails.
5. Democrats know that this is a political stunt and are going to do their damndest to spin it that way, which will save a good number of the independents.
6. African-Americans and Hispanics, though, will abandon Hillary in droves because clearly she's an evil witch who will kill them allhahahahahahahahahaha you loving idiots like there's a chance any significant number of minorities switch when Trump has made a campaign off insulting them.

At most, probably a 1-2% swing in the polls. Hillary is helped by the fact that 1) her emails are a known issue, and 2) LOTS of people have already voted.

Not to mention that Hillary's doing this the best way she can, by basically saying 'release the info, release it now, I've got nothing to hide'. The FBI either needs to release it (and it will be a nothing:burger:) or hold onto it, which gives Hillary's campaign more time to spin this as an obvious politically motivated move.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

QuoProQuid posted:

I mean, I want to assume our non partisan officials are above this kind of behavior but we are looking at either malice or incompetence and neither is good

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

farraday posted:

This isn't evidence of poo poo other than you not liking how it played out and Comey trying to cover his rear end:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

If this had happened a month ago it would have killed the entire emails narrative. As is, it's too close to the election to have any positive effect for Hillary.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I hope Donnie flipflops and says FBI guy is a dem-tool.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Nessus posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't he? I mean, the last twenty years haven't exactly instilled a profound respect for the dispassionate fairness of the Republican Party and members thereof in me, personally.

because people are complicated creatures who are more than just their party affiliation

or, alternatively, because any real conspiracy would get discovered real loving quickly and comey would face the possibility of impeachment and potential jail time. no one is going to subvert a u.s. presidential election on a whim.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

QuoProQuid posted:

there's scenarios where it has no impact, but i can't envision a reality where this helps clinton. the big three cable news companies are still running with "FBI Reopens Investigation On Clinton," which is not a good look for the campaign. idk what the effect on polling will be, but it will likely not be positive

this thread should probably try to find a happy medium between the "the future is obdurate. the democrats will win the presidency and the senate" and the "everything matters. clinton is going to lose and we are all going to die" crowd.

this apology would be more believable if the original message had been delivered to the public in the form of a press conference explaining the situation instead of in a vague and vaguely menacing letter to congress

If things snowball into everyone and their mother demanding to know what in the actual gently caress Comey thought he was doing, and the whole thing is framed as a partisan attempt at a hatchet job, it helps Hillary. The fact that the bullshit letter was sent to 8 Republicans, one of whom predictably immediately leaked it doesn't help. Especially now that everyone knows nobody has even read the emails in question that are almost certainly just copies of emails the FBI already looked at.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

This isn't evidence of poo poo other than you not liking how it played out and Comey trying to cover his rear end:

I am not sure where you're going with this since that is exactly what I've said the whole way along. Comey tried to cover his rear end and did a lovely job of it; media played into Chaffetz hands and we spent a whole cycle talking about something that's absolutely a non-issue and stupid.

I mean I know you're not a poster to be taken with an real seriousness but uh, cowboy you're once again off the reservation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

If this had happened a month ago it would have killed the entire emails narrative. As is, it's too close to the election to have any positive effect for Hillary.

As long as it's not a negative factor now it's fine. Up 5-10 points nationally is a great place to be, Hillary doesn't need any boosts.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As long as it's not a negative factor now it's fine. Up 5-10 points nationally is a great place to be, Hillary doesn't need any boosts.
At the same time, the fact that a guy like Donald Trump isn't down by 25 is...well kind of sad

For gently caress's sake Walter Mondale lost by 20 even though he was an extremely experienced statesman because he decided to tell the truth and say that taxes were going to have to be raised.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Boosts still welcome.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

because people are complicated creatures who are more than just their party affiliation

or, alternatively, because any real conspiracy would get discovered real loving quickly and comey would face the possibility of impeachment and potential jail time. no one is going to subvert a u.s. presidential election on a whim.
Plenty of people are energetically detonating themselves in support of the Iron Cheeto, though I will be realistic that if Comey did do it for political reasons, it would be more along the lines of trying to "save" the Senate.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

it would have been nice to not have to have heard about emails for a month though! :)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, I want to assume our non partisan officials are above this kind of behavior but we are looking at either malice or incompetence and neither is good

never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

oh lol if this is true.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Nessus posted:

Well, here we are -- the FBI is rigged! The government is rigged!

#TRUMPWASRIGHT #MAGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

It wasn't his place to make claims about Hillary's judgment.

Yes it is. That's precisely, unofficially, part of his job as Director of the FBI. The FBI famously once had dirt on almost every single sitting congressmen, senator, and running man for President to the point where J Edgar Hoover would use it to guarantee his position. After he died, the FBI served in a massive witch hunt against Nixon, to the point where he tried to use the CIA against them.

• Locked thread