Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SomeJazzyRat posted:

You know, I think the world would be a better place if a lot more people just deleted their twitter accounts. Leave it to the MRA assholes and white supremacists.

The world would be a better place if there was no Twitter, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well it doesn't make any money apparently and no one wants to buy it so you may eventually get your wish

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

Well it doesn't make any money apparently and no one wants to buy it so you may eventually get your wish

I'm sure Twitter will be around forever, but Vine and other things that make the world a better place will continue to vanish.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Social media was a mistake.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Metalshark posted:

Would the Marvel Now! relaunch timing have impacted Mockingbird? (i.e replace it with something they believe would sell more?)

That was what Cain implied on Twitter when she said the series was over.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
In the letters iirc she said that mockingbird was being cancelled in favor of occupy

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mockingbird was a pretty dumpster comic but I followed Cain on Twitter and she seemed like a cool lady, if kind of a lovely writer.

I hope Marvel responds by giving her another book and a way better editor.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A dumpster comic? It was pretty much one of my favorites from Marvel, and most months it was my favorite book of the month.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Different strokes, I guess. I gave it a fair shake (first four issues) but I just found everything but the art pretty intolerable.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought it was ok. Some funny jokes here and there, but I found it largely forgettable.

Maybe if there weren't so many self-aware comedies from Marvel already I would have liked it more, but it was really inoffensive overall. Though, anything that makes the anti-SJW types really upset gets my mark of approval.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Loved Mockingbird. It was sexy without being offensive, and it was funny like a lot of Marvel's books lately. For a brief time, I'd even say she had Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel best for best female character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mockingbird was the best thing Marvel published at any given point during it's 8 issue run.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think I preferred any issue of Black Widow in given month to an issue of Mockingbird, but Mockingbird did usurp Squirrel Girl as my favorite comedy book by the end. Mostly because SG set a high bar with that date issue that couldn't possibly top. I also thought Cain wrote Hunter really well, maybe a bit too incompetent but overall she got the whimsy of his character. I liked the last issue of Ms. Marvel but the Civil War stuff was pretty ugh.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

Mockingbird was the best thing Marvel published at any given point during it's 8 issue run.

Vision.

I really enjoyed Mockingbird but it's loving nuts to pretend it's better than Vision.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Vision.

I really enjoyed Mockingbird but it's loving nuts to pretend it's better than Vision.

I'm 4 issues behind on Vision so I stand by my statement!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Between Vision, Moon Knight, Black Widow, Star Wars, Darth Vader, Spider-Man/Deadpool, and Old Man Logan, I don't think Mockingbird even registers as a contender for the top spot for me.

It's definitely something I liked a lot more than Squirrel Girl and Hellcat, though I think Howard the Duck was funnier overall.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Goons, brief derail and back to Marvel pictures and scripture conversations.

I do the threads in Games for the two Marvel games that are good and/or getting better (Marvel: Future Fight for your phone and Marvel Heroes for the PC).

Marvel Future Fight is getting a massive patch at 9pm est that will release 8 Dr Strange characters, some Quality of Life features and an entirely new mode of content. The game continues to get better and we have a pretty amazing goon community there. I know not all of us are gamers but with 90+ playable chars, it's a pretty cool experience and is a game that has massively improved each month through it's attentive development team. Thread is here as we prepare for a fun patch: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795425&perpage=40

Marvel Heroes has fallen on some hard times in the past year but is undergoing a massive overhaul that will hope to draw old players back in and new players for the future. It's expected this overhaul will take place in November/December so stay tuned if that game was your thing for a long while. That thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779688&perpage=40

Apologies again for the derail but just wanted to keep some of the Marvel fans informed in case these are games you knew/know about and wanted to hear the latest.

I like MH, I still play it sometimes, it's a good casual game. I was a bit offput by the changes to the story mode (they made a lot of sense, it was too complex before, yet I actually liked the old version more).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

I'm 4 issues behind on Vision so I stand by my statement!

And I know I'm in the minority but I consider Silk by far, by far, the best female-led comic coming out of Marvel nowadays.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

And I know I'm in the minority but I consider Silk by far, by far, the best female-led comic coming out of Marvel nowadays.

See I find Spider-woman to be a far more enjoyable book than Silk.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I love Spider-Woman a lot and it's basically the only title I'd legitimately consider a viable alternative to Silk in terms of pure overall quality in "best women-led Marvel comics".

They're both funny books that are able to be impressively serious and emotionally effective over trying to ape Squirrel Girl's style of almost pure irreverence that SG does by far the best.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's a good book, but it's way overrated.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

Nah, dog. Nah.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

No it's actually just that drat good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm still thinking about how great Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe was.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think Nick Spencer's twitter has been interesting to read during the whole Cain thing. He called the trolls lovely people, but pointed out that they're absolute 'wednesday warriors' that go out and buy comics with complete reliability. Meanwhile, a cottage industry of reblogging consistently doesn't do this.

His basic comment is 'it's lovely, but :capitalism:'.

https://twitter.com/nickspencer/status/791814255053971456

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Clawtopsy posted:

I think Nick Spencer's twitter has been interesting to read during the whole Cain thing. He called the trolls lovely people, but pointed out that they're absolute 'wednesday warriors' that go out and buy comics with complete reliability. Meanwhile, a cottage industry of reblogging consistently doesn't do this.

there is a cyborg book?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Banned for mod sass.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I really liked Silk, but the loss of Stacey Lee's art made me drop the book.

Is she the artist on anything else?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

X-O posted:

I actually agree but, like, about Tom King in general. He's a compelling writer, but so far all three of his books that I've read hit the one single note of "bad things happening to good people, ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED" and not much else. It gets tedious.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

OhFunny posted:

I really liked Silk, but the loss of Stacey Lee's art made me drop the book.

Is she the artist on anything else?

She moved onto that Black Canary N52 book that consisted of her being in a rock group and touring the country.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, that was Annie Wu.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh whoops, my bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm still thinking about how great Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe was.

It's canon right, so offically Doreen is Worthy?

Also poor Tippy Toe :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The current arc of the ongoing takes place after Beats Up, and it's actually referenced.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

Yup

Also, I only got in to comics recently and have never bothered to experience the Clone Saga, but even in ignorance it's striking how often it's the punchline to a joke involving clones. (lol don't mention clones around spidey!) The event seems to still throw a long shadow...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Clawtopsy posted:

And of course since "intentionally misrepresenting Nick Spencer's opinions" is a hobby on Twitter, he got dragged for "defending trolls" when his point was "we have to buy more than trolls to defeat them"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait, didn't we used to hate Nick Spencer for being a racist shithead?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nick Spencer strikes me as one of those people who thinks he's very progressive but hates rap music, if you catch my drift.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Wait, didn't we used to hate Nick Spencer for being a racist shithead?

I think you're confusing him for someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No no, Nick Spencer led a movement to drive a black club out of his white neighbourhood because it was attracting "the wrong kind of people". He's definitely a racist.

• Locked thread