Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
having a pokemon from space is less impressive in gen 6 where there's actually lots of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I want a Chansey now

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

corn in the bible posted:

having a pokemon from space is less impressive in gen 6 where there's actually lots of them

That's part of why I really hope the Ultra Beasts aren't catchable. We've already had a Pokemon from another dimension, so just making these more Pokemon from another dimension would make them less interesting to me.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Shneak posted:

There's literally a shot framed to focus on her rear end while she's having a conversation.

And I thank them for it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's part of why I really hope the Ultra Beasts aren't catchable. We've already had a Pokemon from another dimension, so just making these more Pokemon from another dimension would make them less interesting to me.

Well even if you can't catch them they'll still be mysterious beasts from another dimension.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The Old Chateau short was weirdly horny which I didn't like but the ghost stuff was cool, and I suppose we are into gen 4 now which is also rad.

the different plates are for the non xl new 3ds, and it was determined that americans mostly always buy xl ones, so they didnt even bother releasing that here

You can get 'em in bundles (like the Happy Home Designer one) and buy the plates off Online.. I think I'm gonna get the PMD ones to celebrate Sun and Moon.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

The Old Chateau short was weirdly horny

Erm...

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The camera lingered on Cheryl's lips for way too long it was weird

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

The camera lingered on Cheryl's lips for way too long it was weird

it was supposed to be creepy that she was eating non existant food

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Why are there lots of people who ask you for a trade, only to show off their shiny hacked legendaries which they obviously have no intention of trading? What exactly are they getting out of this?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Why are there lots of people who ask you for a trade, only to show off their shiny hacked legendaries which they obviously have no intention of trading? What exactly are they getting out of this?

They're showing off their epeen I guess.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's possible you are just running into nothing but children. Children love showing off their shinies or at least the ones at my job do, they are obviously hacked, but they don't care they look cool and want to show them off.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

SpaceDrake posted:

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are pretty cool. Although there's a portion of the Japanese fanbase that hates hates hates the aforementioned dragon lady due in part to the arc of her plot (and how the plot sort of wants her to be sympathetic despite her being kind of a dick through the entire plotline).

But yeah, you fight Deoxys in literal space, and you get there by riding a mega-evolved sky dragon. It's kind of cool.

SpaceDrake, since you're here, please tell me if I'm crazy for seeing parallels between Kevin and Decidueye, vis a vis their color scheme and archery.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Cross-posting from the Video Game Deals thread:

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Pokemon Sun / Moon preorders $31.99

(even for non-Prime)
If you don't have Amazon Prime, here's your chance.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

SpaceDrake posted:

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are pretty cool. Although there's a portion of the Japanese fanbase that hates hates hates the aforementioned dragon lady due in part to the arc of her plot (and how the plot sort of wants her to be sympathetic despite her being kind of a dick through the entire plotline).

But yeah, you fight Deoxys in literal space, and you get there by riding a mega-evolved sky dragon. It's kind of cool.

Count me in on the hate portion. All she had to do was explain to Steven that "hey, the science nerds wanna use pokemon life energy to blow up the meteor. Kalos did a thing like that and it went down as the greatest tragedy in history. There is a super dope pokemon that can save us, do you, the champion, know super dope trainers that are worthy of stuff?" instead of "tehee i'm a jerk and i'll be vague in this string of cutscenes"

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

yeah zinnia kind of sucks but her battle theme is one of the best in the series imo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

her main theme is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqgnEXXD8EE

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well even if you can't catch them they'll still be mysterious beasts from another dimension.

They could be from a parallel universe instead where UB are the norm and regular Pokemon are rare

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

SpaceDrake, since you're here, please tell me if I'm crazy for seeing parallels between Kevin and Decidueye, vis a vis their color scheme and archery.

Nah, they are there, for sure, though I doubt Kevin inspired Dedidueye. Thing is, bleach white and forest green like that are "heroic" colors, and they clearly wanted to play up Decidueye as the "hero" of this trio, to contrast Inciniroar's heel wrestler and Primarina's princess idol. (Spoiler: if Ash doesn't get a Rowlet in the show, Mallow almost certainly will.) So there's totally some parallels there, but I think it's just cross-cultural color theory at work more than anything.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Count me in on the hate portion. All she had to do was explain to Steven that "hey, the science nerds wanna use pokemon life energy to blow up the meteor. Kalos did a thing like that and it went down as the greatest tragedy in history. There is a super dope pokemon that can save us, do you, the champion, know super dope trainers that are worthy of stuff?" instead of "tehee i'm a jerk and i'll be vague in this string of cutscenes"

Yeah, but the JP dudes apparently take it... rather far. Like tracking down the writer of the ORAS scenario beyond his pseudonym he used, just to know who wrote the "abomination" that was Zinnia. It got weird.

Anyway, personally I see what they were trying to go for - she does want to fix things, but the whole gimmick is supposed to be that, surprise, she's actually a fumbling kid who is kind of winging it and maybe making bad choices and yeah you gotta clean up her mess a bit before fixing the bigger problem yourself but her heart's in the right place. If they screwed up anywhere, it's in her not actively helping you more in the late quest to make up for her earlier blunders. Unfortunately the Delta Episode just isn't quite long enough for that, and by the time you're at the top of the Sky Pillar, it's time to bring it on home. The whole thing really wanted to be longer than it was, and perhaps have some more unique assets/maps than it does as printed.

Also for my money, it's her sad theme that's the best of the lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv4_DTAn03U

edit:

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's not confirmed by any mining or anything, but there's an ever-increasing suspicion that the UBs are linked in some way to major NPCs throughout the game. So it's very, very unlikely they'll be capturable. They aren't being referred to as Pokemon for likely a very good reason.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 29, 2016

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

SpaceDrake posted:

Nah, they are there, for sure, though I doubt Kevin inspired Dedidueye. Thing is, bleach white and forest green like that are "heroic" colors, and they clearly wanted to play up Decidueye as the "hero" of this trio, to contrast Inciniroar's heel wrestler and Primarina's princess idol. (Spoiler: if Ash doesn't get a Rowlet in the show, Mallow almost certainly will.) So there's totally some parallels there, but I think it's just cross-cultural color theory at work more than anything.

I would have been very surprised if there were a direct correlation, but I thought it was a cool coincidence.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Cross-posting from the Video Game Deals thread:

If you don't have Amazon Prime, here's your chance.

$32 is such a good deal that I'll deal with a physical cartridge. Plus free release day shipping.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Aster isn't her daughter. It's her predecessor. An interview confirmed that.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

$32 is such a good deal that I'll deal with a physical cartridge. Plus free release day shipping.

Yeah I couldn't pass it up, I actually prefer the cartridge. Also it helped me notice I have Amazon Prime apparently.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I finally watched the video and learned that decidueye is grass/ghost and now I am somehow even more pumped to play this game. I even had a dream about it a few nights ago and let me tell you, it was pretty good.

Oh also Tapu Bulu is by far the best guardian.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 29, 2016

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Space T Rex posted:

I finally watched the video and learned that decidueye is grass/ghost and now I am somehow even more pumped to play this game. I even had a dream about it a few nights ago and let me tell you, it was pretty good.

Just remember that grass/ghost is... a bit of an odd typing. It gains a number of defenses (immune to norm/fight, resists ground/grass/water/electric), but also picks up a ton of vulnerabilities (fire/flying/ghost/ice/dark). So in general, the owl is either going to be safe or it's going to be slapped around - opponents are probably going to try to go for its weaknesses wherever possible.

It's also likely to be a physical attacker (given its bow-and-arrow nature) and while it's guaranteed to get a good Ghost attack in its arrow, we'll need to see what kind of Grass attacks it can learn. If it doesn't get Seed Bomb or Leaf Blade, its Grass attack options might be a bit limited (although Needle Arm would also make a certain amount of sense and has its own uses).

Ghost owl is cool, but even in the easy single player he might be a little hard to get maximum mileage out of. In postgame or multiplayer he might be especially hard to use. (Meanwhile, every indication is that siren seal is going to be fuckin' bonkers.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

Just remember that grass/ghost is... a bit of an odd typing. It gains a number of defenses (immune to norm/fight, resists ground/grass/water/electric), but also picks up a ton of vulnerabilities (fire/flying/ghost/ice/dark). So in general, the owl is either going to be safe or it's going to be slapped around - opponents are probably going to try to go for its weaknesses wherever possible.

It's also likely to be a physical attacker (given its bow-and-arrow nature) and while it's guaranteed to get a good Ghost attack in its arrow, we'll need to see what kind of Grass attacks it can learn. If it doesn't get Seed Bomb or Leaf Blade, its Grass attack options might be a bit limited (although Needle Arm would also make a certain amount of sense and has its own uses).

Ghost owl is cool, but even in the easy single player he might be a little hard to get maximum mileage out of. In postgame or multiplayer he might be especially hard to use. (Meanwhile, every indication is that siren seal is going to be fuckin' bonkers.)

yeah but owl looks cool as gently caress so no sale

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Offensive wise, it shouldn't do too bad in the coverage department at least. Ghost is a very good attacking type right now, what with only 1 type resisting it, and 1 type immune to it.

I just hope the Alolan starters aren't as bad as the Unova ones. Those actually felt like they fell off as the game went on, and near the end of the campaign I was heavily tempted to bench them because they weren't doing as much work as the other mons I could get.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dr. Fetus posted:

Offensive wise, it shouldn't do too bad in the coverage department at least. Ghost is a very good attacking type right now, what with only 1 type resisting it, and 1 type immune to it.

I just hope the Alolan starters aren't as bad as the Unova ones. Those actually felt like they fell off as the game went on, and near the end of the campaign I was heavily tempted to bench them because they weren't doing as much work as the other mons I could get.

Samurott always pulled his weight for me. Nothing amazing, but a good all around Water type in a game very light on Water. The others, however, we very quickly eclipsed.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

SpaceDrake posted:

nerd poo poo

Yeah but he is a ghost leaf owl with a bow and arrow.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

yeah but owl looks cool as gently caress so no sale

Space T Rex posted:

Yeah but he is a ghost leaf owl with a bow and arrow.

I mean cool as gently caress (and also cute af earlier on) is a good argument! Just wanted to make sure people had realistic expectations for ghost owl, because it's cool but kind of squishy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SpaceDrake posted:

I am glad Primarina will be as powerful as it deserves

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

goofus picks the seal because he thinks its versility excuses how bad it looks. gallant chooses the owl because it is good, and right, and right for america, amen

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i really love primarina but the idea of a ghost starter that is a cool archer is so tempting

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

how bad it looks

gently caress you

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

im glad that ghost owl is ghost type cause that is just more encouragement to be a bit silly on type spreading psychic to different dudes

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Samurott always pulled his weight for me. Nothing amazing, but a good all around Water type in a game very light on Water. The others, however, we very quickly eclipsed.

Yeah, you're right. It had decent coverage and fairly decent offensives to back that up. At least Serperior is usable in competitive... One generation later, after it got its hidden ability. Emboar has nothing though.

SpaceDrake posted:

I mean cool as gently caress (and also cute af earlier on) is a good argument! Just wanted to make sure people had realistic expectations for ghost owl, because it's cool but kind of squishy.

As long as it isn't as bad as Emboar and Serperior, it should be fine. It's typing is decent offensive wise, so I suppose its stat spread is the only thing left to worry about.

I can probably see Primarina making waves in multiplayer, since Water/Fairy is a very good defensive typing. Single player, it should be fine because of that at least.

Not really sure how Incineroar will play out either way, but I will be using him in game anyway.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 29, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

AAB posted:

im glad that ghost owl is ghost type cause that is just more encouragement to be a bit silly on type spreading psychic to different dudes

heck they even made the clearly fire type lion into a psychic type

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Or we could pick the burning cat and constantly perform the DARKEST LARIATS.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

I still have PTSD from gen 1 where it was impossible to get Gengar unless your cousin from wisconsin with the gameboy cable visited for thanksgiving. So the idea of starting with a ghost type is hella baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i choose the cat