Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Slung Blade posted:

Good luck Drake, don't take any poo poo from those fuckers.

I tallied up all the stuff I had receipts for after building the roaster.
1800 dollars :stonk: (900 of that being stainless for the cage)

Pimpin ain't easy (or cheap).
Looks like you will get YEARS of use out of it though. 110% worth it from the looks of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

Drake: Keep us in the loop on the Hyundai shenanigans. Shame that the Lincoln spoiled you guys so much though, this taking a pile of fun poo poo boxes off the table.

A Lincoln, you say?

Step into my office.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Too late, Lincolnman

I've already begun to divide and conquer at the Hyundailand. The finance manager is displeased with my ability to produce written quotes from his fellow Hyundaimen

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

"I don't care if you believe me or not but if you can't beat the deal I'm walking."

Do you have a raging stiffy for Hyundai?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
It's the wife's choice and she chose a Tucson. I don't blame her, they're really hard to beat for value and the new gen Tucson is pretty nice inside. Also, the more supportive I am now, the more supportive she is later when I get my sports car. :getin:

This experience has been really fun though. I hate dealerships but I've worked leverage between a few of them and we've gone from:

"This is a great deal! Normally I can't get more than $2k off MSRP!"

To

"I have no idea how they can sell this car that low, that's $2k below my cost and I CANT LOSE THAT KIND OF MONEY"

To

"Okay, my manager says we can lose that kind of money plus we'll throw in some weather tech floor mats"

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hey, do any of you guys know this gem from Innisfail?

Canada's Worst Driver posted:

Tyler, age 44, is an accomplished welder but a horrible driver. He has damaged his truck hundreds of times. Driving is a stressful event for Tyler, so much so he turns to drinking. Tyler feels so nervous on the road that he tends to drink to ease the tension. Along with this bad habit, Tyler is also responsible for at least 20 hit and run over the past year. His wife Jana, has brought Tyler to rehab because she has had enough and is at the end of her road with the accidents and his drinking and driving.

http://www.discovery.ca/Shows/Canadas-Worst-Driver/Participants

Fuckin' Tyler from Innisfail, man.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think that show needs to gently caress off before they kill someone. After filming that horrid chick from edmonton driving like an absolute nutcase, they should have said she was off the show, and they would be submitting all their video to the police. Instead they handed her the keys to another vehicle so they could film more of the kind of poo poo that gets people killed, and you know they all play it up for the camera, but they're doing it on public roads.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I think that show needs to gently caress off before they kill someone. After filming that horrid chick from edmonton driving like an absolute nutcase, they should have said she was off the show, and they would be submitting all their video to the police. Instead they handed her the keys to another vehicle so they could film more of the kind of poo poo that gets people killed, and you know they all play it up for the camera, but they're doing it on public roads.

The Driver Rehabilitation Centre should be an open pit mine with a stern German clutching a Luger.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks like I'm going to be new car shopping this weekend as well, not for me though the folks.

In-laws had decided on a Honda for their new car. They've only had Honda since 1984 when they bought their first Accord. Their best friend was the owner/manager of the local franchise but she passed away unexpectedly last year so they were always treated well. They still want a Honda though and went to the dealer. Test drove a loaded to the tits Fit and started to deal on it. Long story short, it sounds like the new manager was trying to gently caress them around to the point of the in-laws feeling ripped off so they walked. So they're now asking me to go to dealers with them for car shopping today because they have no clue what to look at other than a Honda. :sigh:

I literally have no idea what the best "go-to" cars i the compact-sub compact classes are. Probably drop by Subaru and look at the Impreza and maybe Toyota but I hate not going to dealers without a specific plan of what to look for after days of research.

Ugh.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Powershift posted:

Well, they have turned video over to the cops in at least two cases (one a habitual drunk driver from Calgary, and one terrible driver who kept driving despite having unstable angina). And the show does have a much greater emphasis on education than other countries' Worst Driver versions.

But yes. This year's fat girl from Edmonton is a terrible driver and worse human being who should not be allowed on public roads, or possibly to continue living.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This year they've also brought a guy with a traumatic brain injury in for us to laugh at.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

Well, they have turned video over to the cops in at least two cases (one a habitual drunk driver from Calgary, and one terrible driver who kept driving despite having unstable angina). And the show does have a much greater emphasis on education than other countries' Worst Driver versions.

But yes. This year's fat girl from Edmonton is a terrible driver and worse human being who should not be allowed on public roads, or possibly to continue living.

Yeah, but if the drunk driver showed up for filming drunk, they wouldn't hand them the keys to a car and send them out on public roads. A dumbass who does twice the speed limit while staring at a phone? GET THE CAMERA JIMMY THIS GON' BE AWESOME.

If the crew is too scared to get into the vehicle to film it, maybe they shouldn't put her in a vehicle and send her out onto public roads so you can do the scary voiceover about what happens to her legally if she kills somebody over video of her passing on the shoulder and running stop signs at full speed.

As good as their intentions may be, they basically attempted to film an innocent bystander being killed for shock value when they had the tools to prevent that woman from driving, possibly ever again. Losing her license would be a better education than drifting a camaro through styrofoam blocks.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 29, 2016

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Jesus loving Christ, I'm watching the first episode and my blood pressure has never been this high.

TBI guy is not medically fit to drive, what the gently caress. The two anxious ladies just need some intensive driving lessons. Everyone else is literal human garbage.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 30, 2016

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

I think that show needs to gently caress off before they kill someone.
I have long been of the opinion that Canada's Worst Driver should be replaced by Canada's Best Driver. I want to see some weekends-for-decades autocross gent just completely OWN some collection of streetracing shitheads at Gimli. I want to see somebody do an engine swap from a clapped-out Neon into a rustbucket F150, just because it's 40 below and the show's producers are insane (and they have a heated icefishing shack just off-camera). I want to see an Alberta truckdriver drift all 10 wheels of a Montreal delivery truck on a frozen lake in Manitoba. I want to see 24 hours of the Yellowknife Invitational. I want to see the cross-country race that has only every ferry crossing in the country as its checkpoints.

gently caress this drunk-and-distracted idiots bullshit, put some actually GOOD drivers in front of the cameras for a change.

EDIT

quote:

Diana
Diana is a spiritual being who drives with her heart. This substitute teacher, reiki healer, and artist, doesn’t think driving should stop her from her spiritual practice including tarot cards, reading the bible, burning incense, and praying. Diana gets inspired by her surroundings and often draws inspirational quotes on her car windows to help her through her day. Despite her in-car attempts to keep the positivity flowing, Diana’s own rules of the road have caused her to lose her license twice due to speeding, along with thousands of dollars in unpaid tickets. Diana’s brother –in-law, Joedy, is worried about her driving and wants her to have a wakeup call about her bad habit.
:suicide:

quote:

Kitchener, ON
Daniella
Daniella lacks the confidence when it comes to driving. She purposefully sought out a job that allowed her to work from home; this allows her to drive as little as possible. After relying on friends and family to drive her everywhere, Daniella now feels she is a liability on the road; which is her excuse for her disinterest and limited knowledge of driving. She has been known to suffer panic attacks when attempting to merge on to the highway. Her sister, Chantal, has brought Daniella to rehab to gain the confidence that she needs to start driving assertively.
OK, at least the one that's closest to me isn't an utter tragedy destined for a date behind the chemical shed. K-W has reasonable public transit, some pretty good bike lanes and paths, and is pretty walkable. She needs to get kicked off the show right away and just settle in to a more sedate life.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 30, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Looks like I'm going to be new car shopping this weekend as well, not for me though the folks.

In-laws had decided on a Honda for their new car. They've only had Honda since 1984 when they bought their first Accord. Their best friend was the owner/manager of the local franchise but she passed away unexpectedly last year so they were always treated well. They still want a Honda though and went to the dealer. Test drove a loaded to the tits Fit and started to deal on it. Long story short, it sounds like the new manager was trying to gently caress them around to the point of the in-laws feeling ripped off so they walked. So they're now asking me to go to dealers with them for car shopping today because they have no clue what to look at other than a Honda. :sigh:

I literally have no idea what the best "go-to" cars i the compact-sub compact classes are. Probably drop by Subaru and look at the Impreza and maybe Toyota but I hate not going to dealers without a specific plan of what to look for after days of research.

Ugh.

Hyundai's! :v:

They're seriously a good deal though, and the dealers are trying to move their 2016's as I recently found out

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

They're seriously a good deal though, and the dealers are trying to move their 2016's as I recently found out

Do you want a guest writing spot on the tumblr?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

No for real though. My 2012 accent has been absolutely brilliant, no problems whatsoever for over 105000km now. Suspension is great, seats are supportive and comfy, the dash is nicely laid out and well built, brakes are fantastic, and the fuel economy is loving phenomenal. I can do 600+ km on a 35-38L tank if I'm not driving like a total dong (almost never).

I've never driven the automatic though, so I can't really comment on that. The six speed is so easy to drive and the clutch is light as a feather.

If they want a great compact car at a great price, look at an accent. I mean you know how fat I am, and I fit in it no problem at all.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
We also have a 2007 Accent and the only repair I've ever done was a coil for $80

We've been super happy

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do you want a guest writing spot on the tumblr?

I could email you my tale of misery and triumph

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

DrakeriderCa posted:

I could email you my tale of misery and triumph

Does this mean that you've successfully purchased the second Hyundai of your fleet?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Does this mean that you've successfully purchased the second Hyundai of your fleet?

We're so close! We're finalizing the sale and picking it up Monday if everything checks out.

I think the manager at the dealership actually hates us now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

I think the manager at the dealership actually hates us now.

Based on my experiences getting parts at Hyundai dealerships (protip: get those parts at Kia) every Hyundai dealership manager is actually a high-ranking SS officer who is born into this life to suffer.

Destroy their bodies and their minds. This is my Word.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

DrakeriderCa posted:

The elantras have an issue with the block casting that causes piston slap and warranty replaces it with new engine with the same casting defect. My friend at hyundai says they have a tech that has the whole procedure down to 6 hours and he usually does 3 or 4 a week.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's amazing.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Apparently it also happens with the 2.4 sonatas, but the v6 models are ok.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

TWSS posted:

The elantras have an issue with the block casting that causes piston slap and warranty replaces it with new engine with the same casting defect. My friend at hyundai says they have a tech that has the whole procedure down to 6 hours and he usually does 3 or 4 a week.

I want to watch this guy crank out engine replacements. I bet he chugs Red Bull while screaming a battle cry and giggling uncontrollably.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If every elantra has the problem, they probably sit 8 in a row rebuilding engines singing sea shanties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVVUKnek5aA

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A co-workers's sister has an Elantra and bizarrely it keeps dumping fuel into the crankcase. It's a year old at this point, been in the shop for, no exaggeration, 6 months and they still can't fix it. Anecdotal I know, but between that and my old co-workers brand new Santa Fe needing a new long block within 30 days of delivery, I don't get the warm fuzzies with Hyundai.

THAT SAID, the shopping trip yesterday was an exercise in frustration. I think they have their mind set on a Honda Fit and were hoping just to have me confirm their choice. They are a very nice car for what they are, but I'll tell you guys, the little Chevy Spark surprised me with value and they are also made in Korea.

The infotainment display screen is absolutely trick and you can cast your phone screen to it so you literally have the NAV on your phone, including controls, maps, everything on it. Makes a factory NAV unit completely obsolete. They only had the base models in stock but if I was in the market for a little shitbox, it would be on my short list.

That said, the Honda dealer is being dinks, not budging at all from full MSRP and want top dollar on every loving thing. $200 for floormats, $200 for a loving block heater which they don't even need, $750 for an admin fee, $100 for locking lugs, you name it. This is for a couple that has been buying cars there since 1983.

I told them if they insist on a Fit, to wait until the 2017s are in which will be literally any day now and maybe go to Calgary to buy it. The MSRP is virtually identical and it won't be a year old before they even buy it. Also, Honda moved Fit production back to Japan reportedly due to quality problems from their Mexican plant.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm not crazy about Hyundai but the new models I saw at the car show this year were fairly impressive and the build quality seems to have taken a big step forward, they're better than modern Audi at leasr. I'd still be concerned about reliability issues but atleast they aren't raiding fifteen year old parts bins from other manufacturers to cobble together cars anymore.

Also I vaguely recall Honda having one model that they were randomly dropping in Chinese made models and thought it was the Fit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm pretty sure fits sold in canada are built in china.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Fits on the local Honda lot all have VINs beginning with 3 (Mexico) and a couple auto sites say MY2017 has gone back to Japan. Can't speak for Canadian dealers, but the ones in Great Falls have J Vins.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think it was a Canadian thing. It was a couple years ago but I'm pretty sure they were made here and were going to transition production to China.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, it seems newer ones are 3 vin, but all the ~2012s i see for sale are LU vin, so maybe china hosed up making something and honda stopped

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There was a short run of early GE (09+) Fits built in China.

Not sure what the QC complaints were but I do remember there were some problems with spot weld penetration in the front strut towers of some model (don't know if GD or GE). The GD definitely had clutch chatter and clutch slave issues as well as strange leaks from the hatch area.

e: Looks like rust - http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/76980-if-you-own-chinese-made-fit-you-should-read.html

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 31, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Speaking of VINs, saw a Yaris at the Toyota dealer with a VNK prefix. France? Didn't expect to see that.

https://www.lethbridgetoyota.com/inventory/2017-toyota-yaris-le-front-wheel-drive-4-door-car-vnkktud3xha072087

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"i want a toyota, but i also want it to not work sometimes"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

P1789 - Powertrain control module is le tired

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 225 days!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

P1789 - Powertrain control module is le tired

Zo, take le nap, then hot fire le engine!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Is the Hellica still for sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

Is the Hellica still for sale?

Sure is, I just posted it on Kijiji last night.

Also come on man, it works fine :colbert:

E: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1212324140