Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
That M3 :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In a very AI move Man drives his GT-R to Mount Everest

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Holy poo poo, not only did I just see a car from speedhunters that I like, it is an E30 sortaM3 has a rear solid axle swap and a Volvo based engine???

That's amazing.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Now that's a way to solve the E30's rear suspension fuckery.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, roadkill have had some ugly cars on their show, but giving them a bugeye Impreza is pushing it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MetaJew posted:

That's an Opel GT right? It looks awesome, but I was under the impression (based on a poster's comments a few years ago) that the engine bay was too small to fit most any performance engines inside it--- so is this just krauted out?

It is (and it's had the awesome headlights butchered out of it :cry: ) and yes, that engine bay is tiny. That bulge hood will give a little extra room, but consider that the factory hood has a sizable bulge in it already just to clear a teeny air cleaner on a teeny Solex carb on a 1.9L not-quite-pushrod four cylinder. It also doesn't help that the front suspension, being of a transverse leaf design, comes up somewhat high into the bay as well. Monkeynutz is swapping a 1.3L Suzuki into his, and I bet a 1.0L Ecoboost would also be a solid fit. Just about anything else means significant re-engineering of the chassis, which is usually done in the worst way by unskilled labor.

Fits in the thread on account of the reasonably tastefully done wide fenders.

EDIT: WHAT THE loving gently caress

SERIOUSLY GO LOOK AT THIS poo poo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Man, roadkill have had some ugly cars on their show, but giving them a bugeye Impreza is pushing it.

I believe the bugeye belongs to those 2 dorks in the middle.

The turbo sticking out of the hood is a nice touch, should be a good competition.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

You shut your whore mouth, limey.

Compared to modern Subaru the bug eye is a loving masterpiece.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm all for that bug eye Impreza. It serves as a hilarious contrast to the Roadkill car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That twin-engine Opel thing led me down a rabbit hole and I think I ended up somewhere near VikingSkull:

Twin-13B dirt track car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

The plan seems to be that they built cars for each other, I assume the Impreza is what M&M built for F&F.

iwentdoodie posted:

You shut your whore mouth, limey.

Compared to modern Subaru the bug eye is a loving masterpiece.
The original Imprezas and the Hawkeyes look nice, sod the rest of them.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Kinda? the deal is they built each others' cars, so F/F get the Impreza and M/M get the Impala.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

The original Imprezas and the Hawkeyes look nice, sod the rest of them.

And yet with the Impreza they got it very right on the first attempt and each subsequent one just got worse until the hawkeye kinda brought it back a little before they just went sideways with the design. 22B being the pinnacle of handsomeness.

:h: u 4evr bby

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

That twin-engine Opel thing led me down a rabbit hole and I think I ended up somewhere near VikingSkull:

Twin-13B dirt track car.

Anyone else having a problem with that site automatically redirecting to some shitfucking lottery crap?

I just wanna read about rotaries :(

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
All of this roadkillmightycarmods teasing is giving me blue balls.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

22B being the pinnacle of handsomeness.

This is the one true answer.

Edit: I saw a thing in traffic today:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
In the HOV lane with one person???

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CharlesM posted:

How do you know there's not 5 bodies in the covered bed?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Edit: I saw a thing in traffic today:

Well now I really want to lower the Courier a bit. Small pickup trucks are the best

drat that thing looks clean, I could do without the wheels and drift charm or whatever the gently caress is hanging from the right rear.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 28, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CharlesM posted:

It was after HOV hours.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And yet with the Impreza they got it very right on the first attempt and each subsequent one just got worse until the hawkeye kinda brought it back a little before they just went sideways with the design. 22B being the pinnacle of handsomeness.

:h: u 4evr bby

jesus man nsfw this beauty

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

travisray2004 posted:

I really wish they'd lay off the posting, actually. I want to see it when they show it, not now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

travisray2004 posted:

It won't be next month's episode on Youtube, because that's the BOOST CABOOSE, and it's a doozy.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

This guy seems pretty cool and good.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

It won't be next month's episode on Youtube, because that's the BOOST CABOOSE, and it's a doozy.

I watched that this morning and it was amazing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I uh... need a minute... also details. Definitely details.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

I uh... need a minute... also details. Definitely details.

The full reveal will be at sema in a few days, but that's what's called a "GT-4586"

It is, as you might suspect, a ferrari red toyota GT-86 with the engine out of a 458 italia and a sequential transmission out of a trophy truck.

They'll be starting it up for the first time live at 7pm pacific. https://www.facebook.com/donutmedia/

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
X-pipe on the 458 engine too? That is not going to sound bad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
SEMA is going to be insane this year.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
When you can affors a tube bender and welder, but not tyre warmers.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

SEMA is going to be insane this year.

No joke. Tony Angelo / HRG are gonna have a rad as hell 'Cuda drift car there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2lYamNd94

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My friend traded his S2000 for an impreza a few years ago, the impreza turned out to be a huge pile of poo poo that needed to be completely rebuilt, plus he had a kid and bought a house. It's going to superlap battle though

I think the splitter needs to be bigger, especially for an unlimited class car.

bonus: that's a type r next to those tires.

Will go fairly fast but probably not within 5 seconds of the record.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 29, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

So this is maybe an out-there question (and quite possibly a stupid one, all the facts I know about combustion engines could fit without difficulty on a 3x5 card): I've seen the occasional aero engine swap, but has anyone ever just taken a fuckoff huge aero turbosupercharger and slapped it on the front of their Corolla or whatever? I guess maybe it's because I learned what superchargers are and do in an aviation context but automotive superchargers just look so eensy next to a Wright Cyclone's. (and yeah I get that the use case of make-car-go-fast is verrry different from keep-plane-fly-high, but what is AI if not shoehorning wildly inappropriate things into a car chassis, just because?)

Content:

50% Pinto, 50% Skymaster, 100% :krad:

and 100% lethal to its inventor too

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I read a book a while back about the history of Martin Marietta, and I seem to recall an anecdote where some of the engineers strapped surplus WW2 aero turbos to their cars and did pulls down the runway late at night. If I have my timeline right, those were among the earliest experiments in automotive turbos (the first 50 years of cars it was roots blowers or nothing).

So yeah, that poo poo totally happens. The main difference between cars and planes is throttle response; you stick a turbo with a 3 foot impeller in a car and you'll drain the fuel tank before it's fully spooled.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yes, people do put big gently caress off turbochargers on their cars. Outlaw 10.5 drag cars are a good example

And then back when I was working at a shop in socal our time attack car made close to 1000hp:

The term I like to use is big loving turbo, or BFT for short.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 29, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man, don't you know rear mount is where it's at these days?

(click for massive)

E: Here's a better closeup of the turbo/IC.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

You guys are all missing one key part about the MCM WRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Enourmo posted:

Man, don't you know rear mount is where it's at these days?

(click for massive)

E: Here's a better closeup of the turbo/IC.

God I love the P-47 :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2D3k0sJ8HM

and :lol: i see u posting a casual background F7F like no one would notice

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 29, 2016