Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

If we are lucky, by the end of this season of AOS, we might have a total of 5 minutes of screen time for Ghost Rider.

Well he's so above any threats that they don't need to have him go full Ghost Rider.

I think they're doing great with him. When he turns, you know poo poo got real, and he's going to end it real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

jscolon2.0 posted:

The police think he died in that big firefight on the boat before the Blacksmith was revealed.

By all rights, he should've.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Daisy's death wish is getting a little old on Agents of Shield. Okay, she feels bad that the blandest dude ever died, we get it. If the desperation of fighting a room full of dudes that want her, specifically, dead had pushed her to use her powers with some kind of lasting consequence then I wouldn't have minded the scene. Otherwise it's yet another "may saves the day" scene which I'm a little tired of personally.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

wyntyr posted:

Daisy's death wish is getting a little old on Agents of Shield. Okay, she feels bad that the blandest dude ever died, we get it. If the desperation of fighting a room full of dudes that want her, specifically, dead had pushed her to use her powers with some kind of lasting consequence then I wouldn't have minded the scene. Otherwise it's yet another "may saves the day" scene which I'm a little tired of personally.

It's even worse on Arrow, where they are seriously using "Diggle feels so bad for killing his brother in self defense that he wants to rot in prison for a crime he didn't commit and never see his family again" as a subplot. Never mind that his bro got Laurel killed on purpose, and almost killed his wife, and I believe threatened to kill his kid too? Also he was working for a guy who successfully fired a nuke (and planned to end the world with many more.)

I'm sorry, that isn't how guilt works. Diggle has fired his gun into tons of people before without blinking. Being someone's brother doesn't create a magic spell that makes you unable to see them as a threat.

Also we are now 3/3 with people who are armed with weapons refusing to use them on Tobias Church, in favor of trying to punch him for no goddamned reason.

Also there were two instances today where characters who were shown to not be busy during an action scene inexplicably disappeared long enough for some dumb poo poo to happen that they could have prevented.

It's like the show isn't even trying anymore. They have a general idea of plot points to hit, but no idea how to get from point A to B. It's getting to the point where it feels improvised on the spot. Bad improv though, because good improv has created better, more coherent stories than this.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 27, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

wyntyr posted:

Agents of SHIELD doesn't know how to write characters and never has.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

It's even worse on Arrow, where they are seriously using "Diggle feels so bad for killing his brother in self defense that he wants to rot in prison for a crime he didn't commit and never see his family again" as a subplot. Never mind that his bro got Laurel killed on purpose, and almost killed his wife, and I believe threatened to kill his kid too? Also he was working for a guy who successfully fired a nuke (and planned to end the world with many more.)

I'm sorry, that isn't how guilt works. Diggle has fired his gun into tons of people before without blinking. Being someone's brother doesn't create a magic spell that makes you unable to see them as a threat.

Also we are now 3/3 with people who are armed with weapons refusing to use them on Tobias Church, in favor of trying to punch him for no goddamned reason.

Also there were two instances today where characters who were shown to not be busy during an action scene inexplicably disappeared long enough for some dumb poo poo to happen that they could have prevented.

It's like the show isn't even trying anymore. They have a general idea of plot points to hit, but no idea how to get from point A to B. It's getting to the point where it feels improvised on the spot. Bad improv though, because good improv has created better, more coherent stories than this.

I love that every time Diggle comes back Arrow's recap every time basically has to play a 5-second clip from Flashpoint to remind any viewers who haven't watched in a while that Barry Allen is an idiot who somehow gender-flipped Diggle's baby via negligent time travel.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 27, 2016

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Agents of SHIELD doesn't know how to write characters and never has.

Jemma Simmons would beg to differ, considering where her arc has carried her since being "the girl scientist" in the first season. But admittedly it could all be better.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ward and Hyde were written and performed amazingly.

The blessing / curse of AoS is that half of the main cast is completely forgettable and half are played straight which is a necessary role but makes them uninteresting.

The guest or semi-permanent characters and actors are almost always amazing. Bill Paxton, Ward, Hyde, Powers Booth, Edward James Olmos, etc.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

wyntyr posted:

Daisy's death wish is getting a little old on Agents of Shield. Okay, she feels bad that the blandest dude ever died, we get it.

Isn't it more guilt over what she did while possessed by SquidWard?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

SquidWard
Holy poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Agents of Shield has a "based on the comics created by Lee & Kirby" blurb in the credits and I am quite certain Jack would be kicking in doors to beat up those responsible for this garbage were he still alive.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
We get it you don't like the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm actually more annoyed that Steranko doesn't get on screen credits.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

I'm actually more annoyed that Steranko doesn't get on screen credits.

I know he did a lot of work on it, but he did not create it. It would the same as including Stan Lee along with Simon and Kirby.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

I know he did a lot of work on it, but he did not create it. It would the same as including Stan Lee along with Simon and Kirby.

He defined SHIELD. But I guess since this show is a bastardization of the comic organization he's better off with his name not being on it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You need a loving hug Rhyno

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Rhyno posted:

He defined SHIELD. But I guess since this show is a bastardization of the comic organization he's better off with his name not being on it.

Funny you mention Steranko - I got to meet him at the Providence Comic Con back in 2014. This was back during the first season of the show.

I asked him: "What do you think about the new Agents of Shield show?" He said he loving hated it, and he didn't like any of the characters on the show except Agent May. He alluded to exactly what you were saying, that the show was watered down and it wasn't exactly what he was hoping it would be.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 28, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

wyntyr posted:

Jemma Simmons would beg to differ, considering where her arc has carried her since being "the girl scientist" in the first season. But admittedly it could all be better.

"I can't believe you don't share everything with me. Ok now wish me luck on this super lie detector since you told me your secrets that will get me fired or worsebut thankfully won't because I am going to blackmail the boss"

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I think the comics have them beat on that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

You need a loving hug Rhyno

I get plenty of hugs! People hug me all the time!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Defenders is going to be 8 episodes long.

SJ Clarkson (Jessica Jones, Orange is the New Black Season 1, Dexter Season 4) is going to direct the first 2 episodes and be an executive producer for the show.

The other executive producers are the show-runner and executive producers from Season 1 of Daredevil, the executive producer of season 2 of Daredevil, and Jeph Loeb.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
A shorter series might mean they do a lot less meandering and get right to the meat of things, but if they don't manage to hit that note, it's gonna feel like the biggest letdown. They've built up to Defenders pretty well, so I trust them, but that's an odd bit of news to hear.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

SJ Clarkson (Jessica Jones, Orange is the New Black Season 1, Dexter Season 4) is going to direct the first 2 episodes and be an executive producer for the show.

The other executive producers are the show-runner and executive producers from Season 1 of Daredevil, the executive producer of season 2 of Daredevil, and Jeph Loeb.

These parts worry me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I get plenty of hugs! People hug me all the time!

"I get the best hugs, believe me!" -Rhyno 2016.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

These parts worry me.

Loeb has been involved in all the Netflix stuff, and Jessica Jones was good. It'll be fine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dex season 4 was one of the few good ones too imo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Season 4 is the Lithgow one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

Season 4 is the Lithgow one.

I had to check wiki before i made that post cuz i couldn't remember tbh and yes it is

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Isn't Jeph Loeb's involvement at this point just kind of a formality? I have never seen an interview or article that showed any kind of deep, meaningful involvement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

Isn't Jeph Loeb's involvement at this point just kind of a formality? I have never seen an interview or article that showed any kind of deep, meaningful involvement.

Isn't he like the #2 guy at Marvel TV?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ToastyPotato posted:

He's in charge of the Marvel TV division, so he has an executive producer credit on all the shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah he's super involved with all the TV stuff and has been for several years now.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Which exec producer of DD season 2, there were 14?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

As an executive producer, his involvement can actually vary greatly. That is like one of the most loosely defined titles in showbiz. I've never seen him described as (or ever describe his work similarly too) Kevin Feige with respect to Marvel Studios, which is more of what I meant. I know he is basically one of, if not THE Marvel TV guy, in title at least, but I have just never seen anything regarding his actual work on the TV stuff the way there are tons of constant articles and interviews that show exactly how Kevin Feige is steering his ship. My suspicion is that Marvel TV, still being under the thumb of Marvel corporate, probably doesn't afford Loeb the ability to run things the way Feige does. He could be a glorified rubberstamp middle man who occasionally passes down mandates from further up the chain.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HIJK posted:

Which exec producer of DD season 2, there were 14?

Would that be Steven S. DeKnight?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Loeb isn't just a regular old EP. He's the Executive Vice President of Marvel Television. It's pretty much him and Dan Buckley running that division.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Has Loeb been involved in anything bad since Heroes?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Has Loeb been involved in anything bad since Heroes?

Come on man, you can't just set Rhyno up like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JT Smiley posted:

Come on man, you can't just set Rhyno up like that.

Loeb redeemed himself with his brief run on Nova. It was very clear that he had finally dealt with the loss of his own son and the creation of Sam Alexander showed that. He did some raw, lovely things during the period between (the way he got the Fallen Son gig) but he's been showing signs that he's happy and doing well. He was at the Legion panel at NYCC and many people noted a warmth coming from him that had been missing for years.

John Byrne can still eat a Galactus sized dick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's a big Twinkie