Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Go visit your local verizon store. They may be able to get one faster. And theres a bootloader unlock tool (for now) that works on them as well.

I'm battling with CS now, but as far as I can tell, they will NOT sell it to you without an account line attached to it. So you can't just go in and buy the phone unless you have a Verizon account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Blue Train posted:

pushbullet

do I need to set it up on my desktop? I'm investigating the ios app but it seems that it doesn't have any obvious option for that

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cable posted:

do I need to set it up on my desktop? I'm investigating the ios app but it seems that it doesn't have any obvious option for that

if you just want mirroring to the android device you need to install it on each phone. you can install it on the desktop if you want notifications mirrored there as well but it's not necessary

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Blue Train posted:

pushbullet

You sure about that? I'm trying to do the same thing as the other poster and it has next to no functionality like that in iOS.

Blue Train posted:

if you just want mirroring to the android device you need to install it on each phone. you can install it on the desktop if you want notifications mirrored there as well but it's not necessary

iOS doesn't support mirroring as far as I know :(

torturemyballs fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 29, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

torturemyballs posted:

You sure about that? I'm trying to do the same thing as the other poster and it has next to no functionality like that in iOS.

iOS doesn't support mirroring as far as I know :(

seems you're right and ios is dogshit garbage yet again so it's probably not possible

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The battery screen says I'm at 70% with two hours left.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
All this pixel love is making me sad I bought a 6p two weeks ago. 6p is already the best phone I've ever had so it's not so bad, but knowing the pixel is just better enough to make me think of getting one is annoying. So great job guys!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I recently factory-reset my 2014 Moto X (on 5.1 'cause Verizon), and it isn't doing the system down-time (as opposed to the Motorola one) correctly. It enters it fine, but within an hour, it's no longer in priority mode and I have to futz with the volume and tell it to go back into priority mode. From then on, it's fine until the morning at the correct time. Does anyone have any idea why the hell this is happening?

This morning I discovered that turning priority mode back on is not, in fact, permanent. I woke up before down time is scheduled to end, and my phone was doing the "breathing" thing, and wasn't in priority mode when I checked. What the hell? This is terrible!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

monster on a stick posted:

The battery screen says I'm at 70% with two hours left.

Sounds about right for a Galaxy Nexus.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
For people with a Pixel: does your Pixel launcher weather widget work properly? I'm not talking about it not showing up. It's showing up fine for me and also seems to work. It always shows the current weather info for my current location. The problem is when I tap on it to get more extensive information it doesn't show the weather for the current location. It shows "current location" and the location symbol in the notification bar for a split second but after that just shows the weather for the last place I searched.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Borrowed Ladder posted:

All this pixel love is making me sad I bought a 6p two weeks ago. 6p is already the best phone I've ever had so it's not so bad, but knowing the pixel is just better enough to make me think of getting one is annoying. So great job guys!

I've said it before in this thread, but going from 6P to Pixel XL was not a significant upgrade to me. Probably because the 6P was the first Android phone I had that felt really solid. Sure the Pixel is objectively better, but not by much. I think the biggest difference I've noticed is that the Pixel doesn't get hot under load like my 6P did.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I've been getting a ton of spam calls lately, and been telling my phone to block and report spam for each of them. So if I've blocked them, then why does my phone still give me a notification and gmail chat beeps at me and give me an "SMS" icon for the 2-5s long voicemail that they leave which contains nothing but silence?

How do I block spam voicemails.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 29, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

..btt posted:

I've said it before in this thread, but going from 6P to Pixel XL was not a significant upgrade to me. Probably because the 6P was the first Android phone I had that felt really solid. Sure the Pixel is objectively better, but not by much. I think the biggest difference I've noticed is that the Pixel doesn't get hot under load like my 6P did.
I agree with this. The battery life is better and it's all a little bit faster and nicer but if I wasn't a developer I wouldn't have bought a Pixel. I am excited about next year's phones but ultimately this is not quite as good as an iPhone in almost every way and yet costs the same as iPhone which just doesn't make it good value.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

peepsalot posted:

I've been getting a ton of spam calls lately, and been telling my phone to block and report spam for each of them. So if I've blocked them, then why does my phone still give me a notification and gmail chat beeps at me and give me an "SMS" icon for the 2-5s long voicemail that they leave which contains nothing but silence?

How do I block spam voicemails.

Call your provider and tell them somebody is spamming you with calls

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tunga posted:

I agree with this. The battery life is better and it's all a little bit faster and nicer but if I wasn't a developer I wouldn't have bought a Pixel. I am excited about next year's phones but ultimately this is not quite as good as an iPhone in almost every way and yet costs the same as iPhone which just doesn't make it good value.

I've not a developer, just a gadget geek, but I've high hopes for the Pixel 2 next year if there is to be such a thing. I really hope they don't tie it to just EE and Carphone Warehouse again in the UK though, I'm able to get decent discounts on tariffs if I buy through Vodafone or O2 directly. I can't afford to buy the phone outright from the Google.

Apart from having the Snapdragon 830/831 or whatever next year, OIS, waterproofing and smaller bezels would do the job nicely.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Or use a voicemail provider like YouMail that had more options like that.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How do Android phones as a navigation device stack up against dedicated solutions like a Garmin or a TomTom? Can I expect better accuracy/routing improvements with a dedicated device?

I've used Google maps occasionally and had the feeling that the instructions were lagging behind a lil on occasion.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Incessant Excess posted:

How do Android phones as a navigation device stack up against dedicated solutions like a Garmin or a TomTom? Can I expect better accuracy/routing improvements with a dedicated device?

I've used Google maps occasionally and had the feeling that the instructions were lagging behind a lil on occasion.

Google maps/navigation are constantly updated while a dedicated GPS had to be manually updated, which you generally have to pay for. Google navigation can also take traffic conditions into account and route you around problem areas.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The Duggler posted:

Call your provider and tell them somebody is spamming you with calls
Yeah so I found out that the Project Fi app has its own number blocking function, which of course does not integrate with the other blocking feature from (i guess its just called "Phone"). So this will be tons of fun to manually find and copy over all the blocked numbers from my contacts into Project Fi.
Thanks Google!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know this thread loves Motorola phones, are there alternatives that allow wifi calling on T-Mobile? I'm looking at the T-Mobile $30 data, text, and 100 minutes plan, but I would need WiFi calling for that to work.

Or should I just look at different plans and ask in that thread?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Wifi calling will still use your minutes. You can use Hangouts for calls over wifi without burning your minutes but I'm not sure if it will show as your number unless you use Google Voice.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Incessant Excess posted:

I mean, at least in my country, every single taxi guy uses an Android, and about 1 in a 100 still has a dedicated GPS. I think that has to speak to something

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Incessant Excess posted:

Google maps is vastly superior than every GPS I've used in basically every way, most notably constantly updated maps, traffic information, and user interface. I haven't seen what more modern standalone GPSs are like, but they would have to have come a long way to compete with Google/Waze.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

butt dickus posted:

Wifi calling will still use your minutes. You can use Hangouts for calls over wifi without burning your minutes but I'm not sure if it will show as your number unless you use Google Voice.

They charge you for time spent talking while not even using their towers? That's real dumb.

We're looking at MetroPCS now. We bought a Moto G4 since the Gs were always good, and its very similar to the LG G3 she loved in terms of specifications. We looked at the MetroPCS phones, but they were all either awful or the $500-700 flagships.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 30, 2016

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

butt dickus posted:

This is accurate, Hangouts calling does not use minutes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Saw this photo taken with Pixel on the Verge:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Thermopyle posted:

Crikey, was that taken on auto settings do you know?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Crikey, was that taken on auto settings do you know?

That's what he said on Twitter somewhere.

Crossing the street, saw an opportunity for a neat shot, double-tapped power and snapped the pic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

That's really impressive.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They charge you for time spent talking while not even using their towers? That's real dumb.

You're still using their switchboard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Auto is pretty much the best way to take pictures on the Pixel as that's the mode that can stitch together multiple exposures for HDR+.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Auto is pretty much the best way to take pictures on the Pixel as that's the mode that can stitch together multiple exposures for HDR+.

Apparently it does it very fast/seamlessly too, to the point where you don't even notice that it's on. I can't wait for mine.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
To be honest when Google said they had the best camera I thought it was just hype. I'm really surprised they were able to get so much out of an f2.0 camera.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The kitchen and dining room lights were on, though most of the light is from the TV because the dining room light is mostly blocked by the doorway between the dining and living rooms. Low light performance is v impressive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Apparently it does it very fast/seamlessly too, to the point where you don't even notice that it's on. I can't wait for mine.

It does. It processes the HDR+ in the background so it's ready for another shot right away.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is the original of that above city shot, for anyone interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vladsavov/30575027656/

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is the original of that above city shot, for anyone interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vladsavov/30575027656/

drat, I was going to wait until it dropped in price, but I don't know if I want to wait that long. A good camera is one of my priorities

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

You're still using their switchboard.

Fair enough.

My wife is trying to transfer her old contacts to her new phone. She did the accounts and sync > google > contacts thing, and it says it synced, but it's not showing up in contacts.google.com or on the new phone. Google quite helpfully says it works automatically. If we have to we can just go to Best Buy and get them transferred, but it seems like it shouldn't be that hard. I did it on my phone, but I don't remember how.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
My Droid Turbo rules but I am in the market for something newer. I went to the Verizon store today and checked out the Pixel and Pixel XL, and I think I like the feel of the Pixel better. It was way faster and more responsive than my Turbo, and the Daydream VR headset looked pretty cool. Is there any reason to get the XL over the regular Pixel aside from personal preference on the size of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
No. For once they're identical besides screen and battery.