Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Necc0 posted:

this made me look up casa d'ice and turns out he's permanently closed down shop

sign of the times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

for the woman who wants to spend all night explaining that shes not mario

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there were people all over the whole drat city today wearing costumes of various kinds

i saw a pretty princess and a super mario and a girl in a gold cape and a couple of witches, and far too many people in their 20s wearing one-piece animal pyjamas

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Improbable Lobster posted:

a norco hybrid that was on sale at a local shop. it's nice to have a bike that's the right size for me

lol thought this was drug chat till i got to the end

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

there were people all over the whole drat city today wearing costumes of various kinds

i saw a pretty princess and a super mario and a girl in a gold cape and a couple of witches, and far too many people in their 20s wearing one-piece animal pyjamas

e: also

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Do not dress as Ken Bone for Halloween.

Fright of frights, Halloween this year is going to be infested with drunks in red sweaters waiting for you to delight in their cleverness. Oh, night of terror, there will be women who have actually purchased that Sexy Ken Bone costume. Is that a haunted spirit I see out of the corner of my eye? No, it’s the pun-loving academic getting his late October jollies. He is Ken Boner.

Friends, I am terrified.

Halloween is upon us, this year an entire three-day weekend celebrating our evolution from candy-guzzling children into the booze-stuffed misguided, teetering through the streets in any number of terrible pop culture-inspired costumes.

The holiday has somehow become the real-world manifestation of the insufferable “have you seen…” conversations we have about any number of viral memes. Gone is any homage to Halloween tradition. Who wants to be a goblin, ghoul, or ghost when you can dress as a dead gorilla?

And so this Halloween will see any number of nasty women, bad hombres, baskets of deplorables, and a slew of politically inspired costumes, all festooned with the air of pride over the so-called cleverness of such styling. It is exhausting.

Our instinct to create folk heroes out of undecided voters and memes out of some of the most tragic moments of the election is one of our worst. It’s a reflex that indicates a refusal to process the brutal reality of a pivotal moment in our history, choosing to make sideshows the main act, and perpetuating ignorance by focusing on distractions. By minimizing what actually matters, we don’t have to be made uncomfortable by confronting it.

These costumes are our denial personified, drunk on 2-for-1 Fireball shots.

Ken Bone, by the way, is not a cute little distraction. His disturbing Reddit history proves he’s not nearly as adorable as we thought, suggesting, among other things, that the killing of Trayvon Martin was justified. But, sure, spill Bud Light all over your thrift store red sweater on Halloween while dressed as him. Cool.

The debate rages each year about whether controversial Halloween costumes are funny or distasteful, whether we should treat Halloween as an occasion to bait offense and be a little naughty with our lack of political correctness. We’re not blaring any sensitivity siren here. We’re merely pointing out that these costumes are really dumb.

When your pop culture joke has been commoditized, it’s no longer worth making. You’re no longer clever. There’s no punchline anymore. When when we’re all in on it, it’s not cheeky; it’s mainstream. And when something becomes mainstream, it’s neutered of any intended provocation. Worse, it means that we’ve become desensitized to the perhaps once-incendiary and maybe even valuable conversation that meme or joke or costume might have caused.

As a costume, these outfits are now just lazy. As a cultural statement, they now represent our resignation to the worst: racism, sexism, bigotry, and political disinterest.

Dressing as Donald Trump for Halloween isn’t funny. You’re either suggesting that Donald Trump is a joke or you want to start a fight. If the reason is the former, see above. If the reason is the latter, you’re the worst for reasons far greater than your lame Halloween costume.

You may, however, dress as Donald Trumpkin, and that is the bar for creativity you must reach for other Trump-inspired dressage.

We, at our humble cubicle at The Daily Beast, have received press releases about costumes for: Locker Room Donald Trump, Cry Baby Trump, Trump Taco, and Prison Hillary. We have since thrown our computer out the window next to our humble cubicle at The Daily Beast.

This Halloween will no doubt see a harem of sorority girls as Nasty Women and their male counterparts doing some racially insensitive version of Bad Hombres.

Based on the number of Sexy Tinkerbells, Sexy Devils, and, yes, even Sexy Candy Corns we see year after year, perhaps originality isn’t of the utmost importance to these people. But unless you are wearing a Hillary Clinton pantsuit with Janet Jackson-inspired detailing, we are going to groan at each one of you.

And, sure, the racist Mexican costume is hardly a new thing. (I have ashamedly dressed this way myself, because I once was drunk and in college and thought things like that were funny.) But this year, it’s as if expecting the barrage of Bad Hombre costumes preemptively grants permission to the giddy exploitation of people’s “I’m just joking!” racism.

How will you and your friends illustrate Trump’s basket of deplorables? We await your creativity with bated breath. God save your soul if there is any pussy-grabbing theme to your outfit.

And then there are those costumes that aren’t politically themed, the pop culture ones worn with a devious smile because you’re so confident that you don’t care if you offend people when, really, people don’t think you’re being offensive—they think you’re being just dumb.

Cool, lady. You spent $70 on a costume version of Kim Kardashian being held hostage during a robbery. Money well spent on a costume that lost its edge the minute we all knew of course this was going to be a costume this year. Instead of making a statement on Kardashian’s fame, it’s a statement on how foolishly you manage your money.

Dressing as Harambe holding a bloody child? As novel as a new Harambe joke, at this point. A Syrian refugee? You’re not provocative. You’re an rear end in a top hat. Killer clowns? Eyes don’t have the mobility to roll dramatically enough.

It’s pointless to dredge up the (completely valid) conversations about the exploiting of socioeconomic disparity with costumes mocking the homeless or “white trash,” the problematic consequences of the “sexy” Halloween motif, and the truths revealed about us by our consistent excusing of racist costumes.

They’re had every year and, if nothing else, only serve to bolster the annual blackout bacchanal, not deter from it.

But while we may think Halloween is the worst, we do acknowledge that, yes, Halloween can be fun. Or so we hear.

We’re glad people enjoy the camaraderie of it, get excited about the occasion to bond with friends, lose inhibitions, and be someone else for a night. There is ample opportunity, too, for actual cleverness and creativity on Halloween, especially with costumes inspired by pop culture and watercooler conversation—even if we think the perfect Halloween outfit is and forever will be a bedsheet ghost.

But the extent to which we’ve embraced the opportunity to lean into the vilest aspects of our culture, excusing it under the false guise of some sort of winking intelligence? You’re not clever. You’re not smart. Don’t do it.

Now get off my lawn. It’s the one without those dollar store fake spider webs decorating it.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Sagebrush posted:

look fucker they're called kigurumis and they're really comfy

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
is yours pinku

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Fright of frights, Halloween this year is going to be infested with drunks in red sweaters waiting for you to delight in their cleverness. Oh, night of terror, there will be women who have actually purchased that Sexy Ken Bone costume. Is that a haunted spirit I see out of the corner of my eye? No, it’s the pun-loving academic getting his late October jollies. He is Ken Boner.

Friends, I am terrified.

Halloween is upon us, this year an entire three-day weekend celebrating our evolution from candy-guzzling children into the booze-stuffed misguided, teetering through the streets in any number of terrible pop culture-inspired costumes.

The holiday has somehow become the real-world manifestation of the insufferable “have you seen…” conversations we have about any number of viral memes. Gone is any homage to Halloween tradition. Who wants to be a goblin, ghoul, or ghost when you can dress as a dead gorilla?

And so this Halloween will see any number of nasty women, bad hombres, baskets of deplorables, and a slew of politically inspired costumes, all festooned with the air of pride over the so-called cleverness of such styling. It is exhausting.

Our instinct to create folk heroes out of undecided voters and memes out of some of the most tragic moments of the election is one of our worst. It’s a reflex that indicates a refusal to process the brutal reality of a pivotal moment in our history, choosing to make sideshows the main act, and perpetuating ignorance by focusing on distractions. By minimizing what actually matters, we don’t have to be made uncomfortable by confronting it.

Ken Bone, by the way, is not a cute little distraction. His disturbing Reddit history proves he’s not nearly as adorable as we thought, suggesting, among other things, that the killing of Trayvon Martin was justified. But, sure, spill Bud Light all over your thrift store red sweater on Halloween while dressed as him. Cool.

The debate rages each year about whether controversial Halloween costumes are funny or distasteful, whether we should treat Halloween as an occasion to bait offense and be a little naughty with our lack of political correctness. We’re not blaring any sensitivity siren here. We’re merely pointing out that these costumes are really dumb.

When your pop culture joke has been commoditized, it’s no longer worth making. You’re no longer clever. There’s no punchline anymore. When when we’re all in on it, it’s not cheeky; it’s mainstream. And when something becomes mainstream, it’s neutered of any intended provocation. Worse, it means that we’ve become desensitized to the perhaps once-incendiary and maybe even valuable conversation that meme or joke or costume might have caused.

As a costume, these outfits are now just lazy. As a cultural statement, they now represent our resignation to the worst: racism, sexism, bigotry, and political disinterest.

Dressing as Donald Trump for Halloween isn’t funny. You’re either suggesting that Donald Trump is a joke or you want to start a fight. If the reason is the former, see above. If the reason is the latter, you’re the worst for reasons far greater than your lame Halloween costume.

You may, however, dress as Donald Trumpkin, and that is the bar for creativity you must reach for other Trump-inspired dressage.

We, at our humble cubicle at The Daily Beast, have received press releases about costumes for: Locker Room Donald Trump, Cry Baby Trump, Trump Taco, and Prison Hillary. We have since thrown our computer out the window next to our humble cubicle at The Daily Beast.

This Halloween will no doubt see a harem of sorority girls as Nasty Women and their male counterparts doing some racially insensitive version of Bad Hombres.

Based on the number of Sexy Tinkerbells, Sexy Devils, and, yes, even Sexy Candy Corns we see year after year, perhaps originality isn’t of the utmost importance to these people. But unless you are wearing a Hillary Clinton pantsuit with Janet Jackson-inspired detailing, we are going to groan at each one of you.

And, sure, the racist Mexican costume is hardly a new thing. (I have ashamedly dressed this way myself, because I once was drunk and in college and thought things like that were funny.) But this year, it’s as if expecting the barrage of Bad Hombre costumes preemptively grants permission to the giddy exploitation of people’s “I’m just joking!” racism.

How will you and your friends illustrate Trump’s basket of deplorables? We await your creativity with bated breath. God save your soul if there is any pussy-grabbing theme to your outfit.

And then there are those costumes that aren’t politically themed, the pop culture ones worn with a devious smile because you’re so confident that you don’t care if you offend people when, really, people don’t think you’re being offensive—they think you’re being just dumb.

Cool, lady. You spent $70 on a costume version of Kim Kardashian being held hostage during a robbery. Money well spent on a costume that lost its edge the minute we all knew of course this was going to be a costume this year. Instead of making a statement on Kardashian’s fame, it’s a statement on how foolishly you manage your money.

Dressing as Harambe holding a bloody child? As novel as a new Harambe joke, at this point. A Syrian refugee? You’re not provocative. You’re an rear end in a top hat. Killer clowns? Eyes don’t have the mobility to roll dramatically enough.

It’s pointless to dredge up the (completely valid) conversations about the exploiting of socioeconomic disparity with costumes mocking the homeless or “white trash,” the problematic consequences of the “sexy” Halloween motif, and the truths revealed about us by our consistent excusing of racist costumes.

They’re had every year and, if nothing else, only serve to bolster the annual blackout bacchanal, not deter from it.

But while we may think Halloween is the worst, we do acknowledge that, yes, Halloween can be fun. Or so we hear.

We’re glad people enjoy the camaraderie of it, get excited about the occasion to bond with friends, lose inhibitions, and be someone else for a night. There is ample opportunity, too, for actual cleverness and creativity on Halloween, especially with costumes inspired by pop culture and watercooler conversation—even if we think the perfect Halloween outfit is and forever will be a bedsheet ghost.

But the extent to which we’ve embraced the opportunity to lean into the vilest aspects of our culture, excusing it under the false guise of some sort of winking intelligence? You’re not clever. You’re not smart. Don’t do it.

Now get off my lawn. It’s the one without those dollar store fake spider webs decorating it.
b...but i thought andy rooney was dead...

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

yes i am a pinku sloth

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Space-Pope posted:

look fucker they're called kigurumis and they're really comfy

the anime snuggie

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_ofpkyf3Pr01sg4253.mp4

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Three Hole Punk posted:

whoa, whats the caffeine and dph for, nausea?

anthonypants posted:

caffeine for vasoconstriction, diphenhydramine probably to attempt to counteract the stimulant properties of caffeine

yeah probably this
some of the pain of migraines is thought to be caused by vasodilation causing blood vessels to constrict around nerves, so ergotamine is often prescribed in the US as 'cafergot'

this is called 'TCE', tri-component ergotamine, and i really have no loving clue what the diphenhydramine is for. could be for counteracting stimulant properties like anthonypants said, or for nausea like three hole punk said
idk im kinda just trusting my neurologist on this, he's pretty well respected on migraine research in aus.

??????????????????????

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how come mom only has one leg

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Space-Pope posted:

yes i am a pinku sloth

noice

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Friends, I am terrified.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

epipen posted:

yeah probably this
some of the pain of migraines is thought to be caused by vasodilation causing blood vessels to constrict around nerves, so ergotamine is often prescribed in the US as 'cafergot'

this is called 'TCE', tri-component ergotamine, and i really have no loving clue what the diphenhydramine is for. could be for counteracting stimulant properties like anthonypants said, or for nausea like three hole punk said
idk im kinda just trusting my neurologist on this, he's pretty well respected on migraine research in aus.

??????????????????????

The rally around the family, with a pocket full of shells

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was p close to buying a $40 plastic skeleton this year to stick on the pillion of my motorcycle while i ride around on halloween

ran out of time to order it on amazon but there might still be one at one of those weird roadside pumpkin stands/amusement parks that pop up every october

bunch of goons do it tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
*scribbles on napkin* 182 miles a day will statistically guarantee a skeleton on your bike by october 31

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is also a pretty solid costume

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i was p close to buying a $40 plastic skeleton this year to stick on the pillion of my motorcycle while i ride around on halloween

ran out of time to order it on amazon but there might still be one at one of those weird roadside pumpkin stands/amusement parks that pop up every october

bunch of goons do it tho

hi that's my bike and my skeleton lots of people laugh at it so it's money well spent

namaste

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
needs a handlebar mounted head swivel switch

so good tho

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
the last several posts are gold

also:

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_ofrme3vdZo1rqgazs.mp4

dog's owner dresses up as dog's favourite toy (gumby)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

epipen posted:

the last several posts are gold

also:

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_ofrme3vdZo1rqgazs.mp4

dog's owner dresses up as dog's favourite toy (gumby)
hey psst
there's a youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7op92W7voE&hd=1

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

do embedded .mp4s autoplay for you?
i mean, i can't open a .mp3 link or a youtube link without it autoplaying in firefox, but mp4s dont autoplay on the page for me

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

epipen posted:

do embedded .mp4s autoplay for you?
i mean, i can't open a .mp3 link or a youtube link without it autoplaying in firefox, but mp4s dont autoplay on the page for me
they do not

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

quoting this from pages back to say that when i saw the film i remember thinking "hmmm those combat boots they're wearing don't look like they'd get much grip on a smooth surface"

glad to know i was right.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

so do they have to reassemble the pillar or what

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vOv posted:

yea, or use a different one

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

install this
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sa-needful/bipfbhacdgoojjfblifgjadhabepbekm

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

how come mom only has one leg

obviously the mother is en pointe, seen from just the right angle

for example see the following illustration featuring Rihanna

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Friends, I am terrified.

i'm dressing up as ken bone deal with it, bitch

got my disposable camera & everything

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
even have a real mustache

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

this guy is all right

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

vOv posted:

iirc the shot cuts right as he lunges out then switches perspective to him running

they just edited it out

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

bespoke posting station

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm sure there's a computer in here somewhere:

http://i.imgur.com/aIm86k9.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007