Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

To be fair whenever i see an asian using cutlery i stare at them for half an hour too

They only ever use a knife and fork here to eat pizza covered in sweetcorn/burgers though which is fun to watch.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Rad Ladies Story

drat, this made me kind of sad.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Also simply knowing how to use chopsticks was enough to get a whole restaurant full of people and staff to come watch, let alone that I was totally fine eating normal ol' chinese food which seemed exactly the same as the chinese food I ate back home.

Was this in some small town or something? You'd think palefaces using chopsticks would have happened often enough by now that it had lost all novelty value. I wonder: has it ever happened anywhere that an entire restaurant worth of patrons and staff has gathered around to watch an East Asian use cutlery and be amazed that such a person can eat local food?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Kopijeger posted:

Was this in some small town or something? You'd think palefaces using chopsticks would have happened often enough by now that it had lost all novelty value. I wonder: has it ever happened anywhere that an entire restaurant worth of patrons and staff has gathered around to watch an East Asian use cutlery and be amazed that such a person can eat local food?

In the 1880s-1900s presumably.

e: Fits right in between a mummy unwrapping and the 8 o'clock yoghurt enema.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 28, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kopijeger posted:

Was this in some small town or something? You'd think palefaces using chopsticks would have happened often enough by now that it had lost all novelty value.

Nah a lot of people in Asia still can't comprehend this. In Korea I'd get people at my school asking me if I knew how to use chopsticks. People I'd been eating lunch with daily for a year, and who had seen me use chopsticks literally hundreds of times previously. The "foreigner = cannot chopsticks" mental block was just too great to overcome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I mean you can still get a TV career over here by nothing more than a) speaking the local language and b) having no sense of shame or dignity. Imagine American TV putting an Asian person on shows constantly simply because he can speak English, and people standing around applauding him for putting together a grammatically correct sentence.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

JaucheCharly posted:

In the 1880s-1900s presumably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afong_Moy

quote:

In 1834, she was brought to New York City from her home of Guangzhou by Nathaniel and Frederick Carne, who exhibited her as "the Chinese Lady"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

ElGroucho posted:

I find her constant lying about her age more troubling than her possible reassignment, what a weird think to keep changing.

I don't have any experience dating a Chinese woman, much less one from China proper (as opposed to Chinese American which is what I'd get.) So, I don't know if her craziness is in line with what you would expect over there. What I do know is that as a thirty year old, I'd have no patience for dumb games like "telling the truth." Or causing "painful penetrative sex." Because of her overactive clit and lieing.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Blistex that was a great read and I don't blame you for feeling regret over what could have been.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
drat, Blistex with the heartfelt story of a man and his harem.

For real though, that's touching as heck.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Blistex, you were living in a Lifetime movie. Except the movie is good.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdhSuJ47Zqw

not all is bad as saying about North Korea in American newspapers. I see cozy quiet city, without huge traffic, delicious street food

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Accretionist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdhSuJ47Zqw

not all is bad as saying about North Korea in American newspapers. I see cozy quiet city, without huge traffic, delicious street food

a workers paradise, one might say..

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I like the part where dudes are executed by AA gun and it is broadcast on TV and the Glorious Leader, Fatherly Leader, and Great Leader are separate people

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Accessing Facebook? You're a terrorist! VPN's are classified as terrorist tools in Xinjiang, but with how things are going in China it's just a question of time before this rolls out all over the country, especially since the Chinese government is trying to launch a sort of pre-crime deterrent system which wouldn't work with VPN's.

quote:

A netizen in Changji (online account number: XXXXX IP: XXXXX) is suspected of downloading a violent and terrorist circumvention software at 12:42:21 on October 13. The software can run on mobile for sending different types of documents. Once installed, the software can be operated on the mobile management tool set for searching documents, games, backing up photos and sending text messages. This software has been classified by Public Security Bureau as second class violent and terrorist software.

Initial inspection: Phone number: XXXXX, Name: XXXX male, ID number XXXXX, Home address: XXXXX Active in Changji city.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/10/29/leaked-xinjiang-police-report-describes-circumvention-tools-terrorist-software/

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

The Great Autismo! posted:

if you've never been to china, this is what you're missing...and it's not a joke. this is actually what chinese intersections look like

That's intersections literally anywhere that isn't the United States/Canada/Australia/Western Europe/Japan maybe.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Ceciltron posted:

I like the part where dudes are executed by AA gun and it is broadcast on TV and the Glorious Leader, Fatherly Leader, and Great Leader are separate people

I like the two seaweed-rice rolls costing 2500 North Korean Won. That's $2.78, or, ~0.5% of North Korea's $538 per capita GDP.

Our per capita GDP's $53,041.98, so that's like dropping $275 on a couple seaweed-rice rolls.

Pictured below: Nearly $300 in kimbap

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Accretionist posted:

I like the two seaweed-rice rolls costing 2500 North Korean Won. That's $2.78, or, ~0.5% of North Korea's $538 per capita GDP.

Our per capita GDP's $53,041.98, so that's like dropping $275 on a couple seaweed-rice rolls.

Pictured below: Nearly $300 in kimbap

Was that a marked up price for a foreigner? It did sound pretty expensive.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
attn: fojar38, please read the book "why nations fail", i think you would find it very, very enjoyable WRT china

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MetaJew posted:

Was that a marked up price for a foreigner? It did sound pretty expensive.

More 'marked up price for luxury items'. In this case luxury items are defined as anything but lovely rice and gruel eaten while not being brutalized.*

*I'm no North Korean scholar, just based on some pretty disturbing poo poo the internet has taught me.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

MetaJew posted:

Was that a marked up price for a foreigner? It did sound pretty expensive.

Not sure.

My guess would be that the exchange rate's artificial so it looks larger from the outside.

Also, I'd bet price structures and access-to-income are very different depending on if you're enough of an elite to live in the capital and be part of the formal economy or if you're hoi polloi and primarily living off aid, hunter/gathering and/or the black market/informal economy.

Edit: Just rewatched it. It's 2,500 for one, so he pays 5000 for two, and the soldier's looking at them a little like what the hell? Probably is marked up.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 29, 2016

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Accretionist posted:

Not sure.

My guess would be that the exchange rate's artificial so it looks larger from the outside.

Also, I'd bet price structures and access-to-income are very different depending on if you're enough of an elite to live in the capital and be part of the formal economy or if you're hoi polloi and primarily living off aid, hunter/gathering and/or the black market/informal economy.

No actually the GDP is literally $500. What do you mean GDP is a metric that just plain doesn't work for 95% of the nations in the world?

Also, I believe meme stories such as "North Koreans believe Kim Jong Un is the best golf player in the world" sourced from the imagination of 15 year olds on Facebook.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I can't tell which direction you're trying to go there

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Accretionist posted:

I can't tell which direction you're trying to go there

That was a very sarcastic way of expressing the ideas that anyone who believes Facebook memes about North Korea/has any trust in GDP as a meaningful metric is really dumb

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

That's good, I took it as you implying Koreans couldn't play golf.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Well if Radio Free Asia tells me that North Korea just executed 5000 miners by shooting them from a cannon, I guess that really did happen.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

THE PWNER posted:

That was a very sarcastic way of expressing the ideas that anyone who believes Facebook memes about North Korea/has any trust in GDP as a meaningful metric is really dumb

Good thing I didn't do either then?

Also:

Article: 60 per cent of China’s richest people plan to invest abroad and emigrate in next three years, says survey
From: South China Morning Post
Date: October 28, 2016

quote:

More than 60 per cent of China’s richest people plan to invest in properties abroad in the next three years, with three American cities – Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle – topping their list of destinations, a report shows.

Many of the nation’s wealthiest residents were looking to invest their money in foreign properties and live abroad in response to the fall in the value of the Chinese yuan and an overheated domestic property market.

The survey was compiled following conversations with 240 wealthy people with average net assets of 27 million yuan between August to October. These people have either emigrated or are planning to do so.

If Seattle gets the Vancouver treatment it might finally push out techies

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Accretionist posted:

If Seattle gets the Vancouver treatment it might finally push out techies

Ugh, rather techies than nouveau rich Chinese.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

As a compromise, could we launch 5000 hipsters out of a cannon to make room for our Chinese overlords?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Accretionist posted:

Good thing I didn't do either then?

You were being agreed with, Goon.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Accretionist posted:

From: South China Morning Post
Date: October 28, 2016

If Seattle gets the Vancouver treatment it might finally push out techies

Los Angles was chosen by 17.8 per cent of the respondents, almost unchanged from last year, followed by 13.2 per cent for San Francisco, 12.8 per cent for Seattle and 11.6 per cent for New York.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah but I live near Seattle

It's not a problem if it's only a problem for other people

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm glad that San Diego was not on the list.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm so spaced out. I wrote something earlier but my Chrome browser suddenly did that "Aw Snap" crash while I was typing and I lost it. I've been super sick with food poisoning and have no strength.

Miracle Baby was fine. She was very calm and normal and didn't do a single weird thing the whole time she was here. She didn't even spin around while sleeping. It was like night and day compared to last time, and she said it was because she was not nervous this time. She told me about the Chinese and foreign guys she had talked to on Tantan before talking to me. LOL at the Brit that constantly referred to himself as a "Proper English Gentleman." I recently learned about "Flanderization" and now I am starting to see how many laowai seem to Flandarize themselves to play up their laowainess. The biggest offenders are those jackasses that bleach their hair blond so they stand out even more.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization

She told me about her ex-BF, a white guy here in Shenzhen, and I wrote up the story but deleted it because it was so drat weird that he or anyone connected to it would immediately identify who is who and it's too close to getting doxxed. Basically, he grooms young girls, professes his love immediately, throws money at them, and then tries to control every facet of their existence and gets his friends to come over to help him convince these girls that he is the best they can get. A total bitch-made weirdo, but she even said "if he was Chinese I wouldn't think anything about it, so maybe he just learned the Chinese style of love." Touché.

We talked most of the night and she asked me to teach her all of the things she never tried or had refused to do for her previous boyfriends. I had told her that Chris Rock segment about how a man will never go backwards sexually, and once he is used to getting something he will not be happy to lose that. It was meant as a way to tell her that if she planned to keep finding modern men that aren't total virgins, she needed to get over her fear of putting a peepee in her mouth and stuff in her butt. She took it like a student's challenge and gave her first BJ, HJ, and butt stuff that night and agreed it wasn't scary at all. She had so many questions about hand placement, grip strength, finger spacing. It was like a workshop session.

She said that it was the last time we would meet because her coworkers introduced her to a new Chinese guy and she felt bad for lying to me. She showed me her government ID and she was actually 24. No explanation for the lying other than wanting me to like her more.
In the morning I was still very feverish but we tried to make love. LMAO, I was so tired that after about ten minutes I was seriously just mashing a limp noodle against her. The part where I wasn't about to keel over in fatigue was normal and not cavern-like in any way, so she was right about being too sensitive.

I took a photo of her face for memories. Who knows if we'll meet again, but I think we might. Otherwise, thanks for the stories, Miracle Baby.

E_P posted:

There is a reason they can't find a guy normally.
OK, Grandpa. LMAO. Scary internet apps that are wildly popular means everyone is broken, as goons like to infer. I promise I won't give out my credit card information!

simplefish posted:

Once Ms CavernVag was asleep,
TBH, if something like this had happened I would probably be like "OMG, I can't wait to tell everyone! How funny!" Thank you for the fanfiction, but I can't appreciate it until I'm getting vored by Uncle Xi during the military parade during National week.
-----------

I was reading 4chan /x/ board (the only one I care about) and they were talking about South Korean 8 Goddesses weird cult governmental control thing with a psychic lady and I thought it was a joke but it's not??

http://imgur.com/lOmVyqW

Apparently North Korea is right for once?
http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/767405.html

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
there's a ton of chinese people on my wechat moments posting pics from halloween stuff, am i allowed to be irate and have a ~~serious online outburst~~ about cultural appropriation

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

tangently korea stuff

pretty much all you need to know:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...omepage%2Fstory

and

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...9432_story.html

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Haier posted:

I took a photo of her face for memories. Who knows if we'll meet again, but I think we might. Otherwise, thanks for the stories, Miracle Baby.

lol she's gonna be back within a week

E_P

OK, Grandpa. LMAO. Scary internet apps that are wildly popular means everyone is broken, as goons like to infer. I promise I won't give out my credit card information!
I used them before I got married in Asia just like you. The prevalence of crazy/cheating girls vs normal was 60/40. This from a guy who had a much better response rate then "girls who work as a factory slave." But what do I know maybe Korea and China are drastically different. Anyways keep posting content its fun to relive vicariously without having to dwell on the negatives that come with being a single guy in asia who cant manage a long term relationship.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is pretty much where the US heading thanks to globalism and the collaspe of organized labor.

Lots of have industries such have tech have pretty much switched over to contract style work.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

etalian posted:

This is pretty much where the US heading thanks to globalism and the collaspe of organized labor.

Lots of have industries such have tech have pretty much switched over to contract style work.

I think a lot of hosed up poo poo has to happen before the US is even in the same ocean as Korea, much less the same boat. Open embracement of racism being a huge factor...

  • Locked thread