Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

big trivia FAIL posted:

I'm doing the DL on my lvl50 with a Raw +7 dragonslayer axe. Champion Gravetender is the hardest thing in the game so far. It's his dire wolf. :-(.

Parry him and you can kill him before wolf shows up.

Then use the columns to make the wolf's charges whiff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't do enough damage. Even parry and shield break, he gets that wolf out at about 1/3 hp and then I die

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is the wolf area?

the early part of the dlc with all the wolves. And I just realized there's a whole other part with the vikings that have wolves with them. And I gave up on finding out what was over there. I got the two weapons I'd be using on this character anyway. Also I don't know how good the javelin is, it certainly gets ruined by a miracle caster like me. I'll just trade sunlight spears for regular spears all day.

I might start a quality character tomorrow.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If you are using that axe I assume you have faith? Dhorys' Gnawing shreds almost everything in the dlc. It fucks up the wolf too if you can land it.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
So what's the SL meta? Is there one or multiple? With the Arena out does it even matter?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I found a neat trick to use with the Gravekeeper fight if you don't want to get bum-rushed solo at the start if you have summons (sorcerer run on this guy is pure hell without one). If you use Hidden Body you can creep up to the boss and as long as you instantly back off when he starts to rise up no one aggros on you and your summon buddy can catch up to you. It also increases the time when the other two wolves come and attack you.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

If you are using that axe I assume you have faith? Dhorys' Gnawing shreds almost everything in the dlc. It fucks up the wolf too if you can land it.

No, sticking to sl50. I think I have 12 fai from raw assing the game. I buff it with lightning resin. My sl50 is a vit/end build with minimal str/dex/fai

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

myDad posted:

So what's the SL meta? Is there one or multiple? With the Arena out does it even matter?

You're around 80 usually at the end of the first cycle so that's sort of a meta. 120 is the "typical" meta with another one at 160 from what I've heard. But don't take my word for it I only started the last steam sale.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

myDad posted:

20-35, swamp. 40-60 ithryll, 120 fight clubs, 140 fight clubs

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I found an axe in a tower in the dlc that is wildly outclassing all my ultra greatswords and ultra greathammers. Weapon consistency is hosed. Making it heavy and +3 just melts bosses. Also the weapon art makes you lunge forward and stun while giving you a damage buff and most enemies can't handle the dash forward making it easy to cheese.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

big trivia FAIL posted:

20-35, swamp. 40-60 ithryll, 120 fight clubs, 140 fight clubs

Farming 30 loving swamp items was what drove me out of pre-expansion DS3. :geno:

Fortunately I will never have to deal with that bullshit again unless I want to get the ring again for some reason, the ring achievement only requires rank 1 of two other covenants which is way, way more reasonable. 3x more reasonable, in fact.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just kept kicking his dumb shield; one kick is all it takes to guard break him for a riposte, and he keeps the shield up all the time. I didn't kill him before the wolf showed up like this tho. were you using stuff that enhanced riposte damage?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, I just watched the endings for Dark Souls 3 again and it's fun to see it in parallel to Miyazaki's comments on putting the series to rest :allears:

I still feel like the 'The End of Fire' is the "good" ending. The fact that Linking the Flame is such a wet fart is amazing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

Man, I just watched the endings for Dark Souls 3 again and it's fun to see it in parallel to Miyazaki's comments on putting the series to rest :allears:

I still feel like the 'The End of Fire' is the "good" ending. The fact that Linking the Flame is such a wet fart is amazing.

I feel like the game and its story is a pretty good analog for the dev team. The world is winding down, the flames are on their last cinders and there's nothing but ash left to keep them, and by association the age of fire, going. There's very little new left to find, everything is just a vestige of a better age, a bygone era or a reference to the first dark souls while passively taking ideas and interior decorating tips from Bloodborne, a pet project the likes of which I'm sure everyone would rather be working on than yet another dark souls. Now in the DLC the NPCs are asking you to just set it all on fire and end it, end their world. End dark souls. Let the dev team go and do something else.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Farming 30 loving swamp items was what drove me out of pre-expansion DS3. :geno:

Fortunately I will never have to deal with that bullshit again unless I want to get the ring again for some reason, the ring achievement only requires rank 1 of two other covenants which is way, way more reasonable. 3x more reasonable, in fact.

I won't lie, I just used cheat engine. All of the covenant items drop from enemies, presumably a failsafe for people who don't want to play online, so you farm up a few and just use cheat engine to turn the two or three you have into a full stack because lets face it, if I can kill 50 goat men to get the first three, I can kill 5000 to get the others. I just don't need all those souls.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another thought: I absolutely love the level/world design of DS3 and how you can essentially view anywhere... from anywhere (heck, you can even see Anor Londo immediately as you enter Lothric). It's super neat, and it feels really satisfying compared to DS2's volcano elevators and "there's a thing uh, more or less in that direction" world. The thing is, however.. it doesn't mean dick for replayability. :sigh: What's the point of a gloriously interconnected world if you can't sequence break? DS3 is painfully linear and it would make a world of difference for gimmick builds if I could, say, take a quick detour into Irithyll (while painfully underleveled for the area) and pick up a weapon or armor set and then use that for the rest of the game. :( DS1 had the Master Key, which was brilliant and DS2 had a ton of branching which let you beeline for certain items before really starting the run. For example, in DS1 I went straight to the catacombs and got Grant and then built the entire run around it. In DS2 I went straight down the well and to the first DLC for the Puzzling Stone Sword. In DS3 you can technically sequence break by killing the Dancer early but it barely gets you anything.

Nuebot posted:

I feel like the game and its story is a pretty good analog for the dev team. The world is winding down, the flames are on their last cinders and there's nothing but ash left to keep them, and by association the age of fire, going. There's very little new left to find, everything is just a vestige of a better age, a bygone era or a reference to the first dark souls while passively taking ideas and interior decorating tips from Bloodborne, a pet project the likes of which I'm sure everyone would rather be working on than yet another dark souls. Now in the DLC the NPCs are asking you to just set it all on fire and end it, end their world. End dark souls. Let the dev team go and do something else.

I know, right :allears:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Just given the general tone of the game I wouldn't be surprised if whoever said the last DLC might be a whole sale god murder where you finish off whatever gods haven't been murdered yet came to be. Just show up to some lovely ruined place where half the gods are dead, dying or insane and then stab velka in the face to get the last ending where all the bonfires go out forever :shrug:.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hmm, the end boss of this DLC is pretty easy..... oh I see, there's a bit more to it than that. Ahhhh there we go, I've done i-oh God she's KILLING me in her third phase :gonk:

I also thought this image was incredibly cool (and terrifying).

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I'm really regretting my decision to blind buy the season pass.

"Well it's more Dark Souls, what could go wrong?"

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm suddenly not regretting the same decision. I felt burned out and uninterested in DS3s Lore. I feel like more Bloodborne DLC was the way to go, if at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've never been that into the lore in dark souls but I do think that it's a little understated in the dlc, even by the series standards. I had no clue what was going on

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I wish there was a way to remotely summon people for areas and bossfights. I'm playing through ng+7 and the early areas feel kinda lonely since no one is invading or putting down summon signs. Like a blue sentinels for white phantoms, so people don't have to wait forever to get summoned to the Crucifixion Woods at SL 120, but could instead equip a ring/covenant and get summoned across the world.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I just clowned the gently caress out of the nameless king with the moonlight greatsword. His dragon kicked my rear end and I cranked my health up just so I'd stop getting oneshot with the first attack. Once the second phase started I just destroyed him because the MGS was fast enough and hit hard enough that he barely managed to get an attack off before he'd be knocked into the visceral animation and then I'd laser his poo poo while he was getting up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm not sure whether to get the dlc and replay now or wait for the next one instead

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

KoldPT posted:

I'm really regretting my decision to blind buy the season pass.

"Well it's more Dark Souls, what could go wrong?"

Not regretting it because I've already got plenty of entertainment out of it but it's nowhere near what I was expecting.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jose posted:

i'm not sure whether to get the dlc and replay now or wait for the next one instead

Do you feel any desire to replay the game anyway? The DLC alone probably won't revitalize the whole game unless you think the arena thing is super cool and love PVP. But some of the new weapons are cool and the area isn't bad.

Anyway, I don't know how much about the debate about Yhorm has been settled but I know back when the game first came out people used to argue about whether or not he was one of the dark souls 2 type of giants.

Managed to get a good shot of his face during the siegward cutscene. Dude's face is jacked.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Your Computer posted:

Another thought: I absolutely love the level/world design of DS3 and how you can essentially view anywhere... from anywhere (heck, you can even see Anor Londo immediately as you enter Lothric). It's super neat, and it feels really satisfying compared to DS2's volcano elevators and "there's a thing uh, more or less in that direction" world. The thing is, however.. it doesn't mean dick for replayability. :sigh: What's the point of a gloriously interconnected world if you can't sequence break? DS3 is painfully linear and it would make a world of difference for gimmick builds if I could, say, take a quick detour into Irithyll (while painfully underleveled for the area) and pick up a weapon or armor set and then use that for the rest of the game. :( DS1 had the Master Key, which was brilliant and DS2 had a ton of branching which let you beeline for certain items before really starting the run. For example, in DS1 I went straight to the catacombs and got Grant and then built the entire run around it. In DS2 I went straight down the well and to the first DLC for the Puzzling Stone Sword. In DS3 you can technically sequence break by killing the Dancer early but it barely gets you anything.

I totally 100% agree with you but that ds anecdote is pure bs because you can't get Grant before placing the lordvessel.

It's interesting to me that BB is more replayable than ds3, BB is kinda linear too but there is just something about the starting weapons and central yharnham that is so endlessly satisfying.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I totally 100% agree with you but that ds anecdote is pure bs because you can't get Grant before placing the lordvessel.

It's interesting to me that BB is more replayable than ds3, BB is kinda linear too but there is just something about the starting weapons and central yharnham that is so endlessly satisfying.

Bloodborne should totally allow you to start with more alternate weapons after you've beaten the game once though. As it is your weapon choice is really limited for like half the game and the early game is really samey no matter what build you are going for.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

that ds anecdote is pure bs because you can't get Grant before placing the lordvessel.

I could've sworn, but yeah I just checked and you're totally right :v: It was a while ago so I must've misremembered. It was just a (terrible) example though, there's a lot of stuff you can get early by using the Master Key and running like hell!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nuebot posted:

Do you feel any desire to replay the game anyway? The DLC alone probably won't revitalize the whole game unless you think the arena thing is super cool and love PVP. But some of the new weapons are cool and the area isn't bad.

i think i just don't have it in me to play it 3 times.

how useful are sorcery/miracles in ds3? i used big 2h weapons when i beat the game except for fighting nameless king where i used a dark sword

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Andrast posted:

Bloodborne should totally allow you to start with more alternate weapons after you've beaten the game once though. As it is your weapon choice is really limited for like half the game and the early game is really samey no matter what build you are going for.

Yes absolutely, BoM, saw cleaver/spear, cane whip and hunters axe (kirkhammer too i guess) is kinda limited but the game is so tightly designed that it doesn't matter. The weapon choices are fewer in BB but the difference in playstyle between them is way bigger.

Not that you'd need anything other than saw cleaver though. :getin:

Your Computer posted:

I could've sworn, but yeah I just checked and you're totally right :v: It was a while ago so I must've misremembered. It was just a (terrible) example though, there's a lot of stuff you can get early by using the Master Key and running like hell!

Yeah I'm just being pedantic, your point still stands. Ds3 does get amazing around the farron keep and irithyll parts though, it really shines in the mid- to end-game.

There is an interesting video that lists everything you can do before killing the gargoyles in ds1. I strongly recommend it. Ds3 should have had more sequence breaking built into the world, since the world design is so incredibly fantastic as it is.

Curdy Lemonstan fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 29, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jose posted:

i think i just don't have it in me to play it 3 times.

how useful are sorcery/miracles in ds3? i used big 2h weapons when i beat the game except for fighting nameless king where i used a dark sword

You could just make a new character and park it at the end and wait for the new DLC then. I don't think the DLC will be unaccessable if you've completed the game or anything, no need to start fresh every time.

That being said, magic isn't the bullshittingly over powered freak show 2 was with its pre-nerf miracles and hexes. But it has its uses. I'm running a pyromancer type of character this time around and I find myself doing 500-700 damage with some pyromancies which is really nice. I often just resort to using a sword and hitting things to death just because it's faster though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

those weapons have a much wider moveset than dark souls weapons tho. each one is like 2 weapons that can chain into each other

I wouldn't say you're limited for "half the game" either. the only weapon you can't get before rom is the burial blade; even the beast claws can be obtained before the halfway point if you're willing to do the chalice stuff as soon as possible. the dlc also added a bunch of early game options because you can pick up the weapons in the first area by just running past the enemies and you can start the dlc itself super early in the game. some builds are pretty limited tho for sure, especially if you don't have the dlc (the chikage is the only thing that isn't a bullet that uses bloodtinge in the whole game until the dlc added the bloodletter)

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

big trivia FAIL posted:

I'm doing the DL on my lvl50 with a Raw +7 dragonslayer axe. Champion Gravetender is the hardest thing in the game so far. It's his dire wolf. :-(.

Yeah, the wolf can be tough. The champion is easy enough to parry kill, but the wolf requires some spot on dodging to avoid his most damaging moves, like that really nasty charge of his.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

God drat this earth seeker build is fun

how/why

I hated it

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Does the game ever log you out? I'm tired of trying to farm these loving proof of concord kept so I'm going to see if I can AFK farm them.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

how/why

I hated it

I'm 60 faith. I cast bountiful sunlight at the start of the duel and just force trades with the axe, or lighting stake. Sunlight spear to trade at range. I love great axes so its a natural fit for me. I even one time hit someone point blank with the wa, it explodes at your feet right away, but that's not a great idea.

I felt pretty funneled by ds2. Like I know there was a lot of forks but I (might be misremembering) thought that most areas are blocked by a boss you have to beat. Even DS1 only really has the graveyard and catacombs you can run into right away, and then the firekeeper soul in the ghost town.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Don't know if anyone is interested, but someone compiled all poise, rolling, and parry frame data into a Google doc.

... God, why is the parrying dagger so bad? It's slower and has less parry frames than small shields, and has only 15 stability! I really shouldn't be using it, but it looks so drat cool :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
just lol if you ever parry in any way other than sighing as you unsheathe your katana

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm 60 faith. I cast bountiful sunlight at the start of the duel and just force trades with the axe, or lighting stake. Sunlight spear to trade at range. I love great axes so its a natural fit for me. I even one time hit someone point blank with the wa, it explodes at your feet right away, but that's not a great idea.

I felt pretty funneled by ds2. Like I know there was a lot of forks but I (might be misremembering) thought that most areas are blocked by a boss you have to beat. Even DS1 only really has the graveyard and catacombs you can run into right away, and then the firekeeper soul in the ghost town.

DS2 had some branching but, not nearly as much as DS1 did. I think most of the success in DS1 branching is because they had an area which was mostly devoid of interesting things that could serve as a connective zone in valley of the drakes.

There are a lot more places you can branch at in DS1.

In the beginning you get catacombs, undeadburg or valley of the drakes.
Catacombs ends at tomb of the giants until after the lord vessel and undeadburg will take you to the parish or lower undeadburg. Valley of the drakes is a huge connective area between a lot of places which lets you get to new londo early. New londo is a dead end until you handle darkroot basin.

From the parish you can head to either darkroot basin/garden or sens' fortress. Lower undeadburg will take you to the depths which leads to blighttown.
Darkroot basin/garden are inter connected and lead to oolacile which for the most part is linear like DS3. Sens' fortress will take you to anor londo and blighttown will take you to demon ruins/quelagg. Quelagg/demon ruins dead ends into lost izalith.

Anor londo is a big branching point which lets you go to either the dukes archives, lost izalith, and tomb of the giants. All of which are dead ends and lead up to the final zone the kiln.

When you compare that to DS2 or DS3 branching you get :flaccid:. It's pretty clear they got the world design the best in DS1 and have slacked off for the other installments.

DS3 lets you branch at farron swamp to either carthus or the cathedral and after dancer through the ocieros-> nameless king route. Thankfully the DLC introduces another branch but, its still lacking.

E: TLDR

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51732985@N08/6239138076/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

You're right. I really only remembered how the game opens up once you get the Lord vessel. O&S are such a brick wall and so much is behind them it really sticks out.

Mildly related, gently caress the dragon slayer armor.