Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

Baloogan posted:

as far as I know they weren't charged for any of that, so its the proceqution's fault not the idiots'

you know that still doesn't make what they did peaceful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They got a man killed by whipping him up into a paranoid frenzy to the point that he acquired a death wish.

he was paranoid about the federal guys killing him. and federal guys killed him. paranoia is an irrational fear of something, turns out tarpguy wasn't irrationally afraid.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

as far as I know they weren't charged for any of that, so its the proceqution's fault not the idiots'

They were charged for the employees scared to come to work dude, that is what the conspiracy charge was.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mavric posted:

you know that still doesn't make what they did peaceful

they were effectively picketing; maybe "nonviolent" is a better word to use than peaceful

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Baloogan posted:

they were effectively picketing; maybe "nonviolent" is a better word to use than peaceful

Is it nonviolent for me to point a loaded gun in your face?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

They were charged for the employees scared to come to work dude, that is what the conspiracy charge was.

oh
thats dumb then, the bundies totally didn't scheme and plan in secret to make some federal employees have to telecommute

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is how you protest with guns—unloaded, with no threats on others’ lives, and with government officials continuing their business.

That’s the difference, not their race or political orientation.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Baloogan posted:

he was paranoid about the federal guys killing him. and federal guys killed him. paranoia is an irrational fear of something, turns out tarpguy wasn't irrationally afraid.

He wasn't paranoid about being killed, he literally said that he would rather die than go to prison. He committed suicide by cop.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
So you can threaten violence, be prepared for it but as long as you don't the opprotunity to finally pull the trigger it's ok? I guess we have reached the "I'm not touching you" defense to real threats.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Baloogan posted:

Again, bad examples because the bundy protests didn't kill or injure anyone at all

If bundy was killing people and lynching people I (and many others) wouldn't support them

he was found not guilty

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

WINNINGHARD posted:

so who, pray tell, at this protest walked up to anyone and pointed a loaded gun at their face?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is a dumb protest, but unlike the MNWR occupation it was 1) actually a protest and 2) non‐violent

You may note that no one was tried in connection with it, acquitted or otherwise.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Baloogan posted:

so who, pray tell, at this protest walked up to anyone and pointed a loaded gun at their face?

Answer my question first. Is it nonviolent for me to show up at your house with a loaded rifle and say "your claim on this house is illegitimate."?

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

as long as you don't point it apparently!!!!!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

The snipers they posted? I mean they were far away but certainly pointed loaded guns at people on several occasions.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

WINNINGHARD posted:

Answer my question first. Is it nonviolent for me to show up at your house with a loaded rifle and say "your claim on this house is illegitimate."?

this is ignoring the wider context, using your analogy the fellow in the house stole the house long ago from the guys showing up with the loaded rifles, and acted like a robber baron dolling out grazing land and taking it away like a tyrant
in matters pertaining to land managment in the western states (And in canada too) the federal government acts like a petty tyrant, stealing land from some, and given it out for political favors.
And to take your analogy further, the guys who show up with rifles and such, camp out on the lawn for a month then peacefully surrender to the authorities without injuring or wounding anyone. Yes, I would call it nonviolent

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Baloogan posted:

this is ignoring the wider context, using your analogy the fellow in the house stole the house long ago from the guys showing up with the loaded rifles, and acted like a robber baron dolling out grazing land and taking it away like a tyrant
in matters pertaining to land managment in the western states (And in canada too) the federal government acts like a petty tyrant, stealing land from some, and given it out for political favors.
And to take your analogy further, the guys who show up with rifles and such, camp out on the lawn for a month then peacefully surrender to the authorities without injuring or wounding anyone. Yes, I would call it nonviolent

The wider context here is that you're trying to claim "both sides do it" by comparing apples to oranges.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The wider context here is that you're trying to claim "both sides do it" by comparing apples to oranges.

In this circus of idiots I think that "house" analogy is particularly stupid
not my analogy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baloogan posted:

They showed up with loaded rifles and took it from the people whose cultural artefacts Bundy & co. were literally making GBS threads on.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I would have thought there would be a septic system at the very least

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Baloogan posted:

In this circus of idiots I think that "house" analogy is particularly stupid
not my analogy

Ok, but you also implied that people who wanted justice for the Bundys also cheered for cop killers. That was pretty stupid.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Are you making a joke here or are you unaware of them digging the massive poo poo-trench. I'm genuinely curious, not trying to make fun of you or whatever.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Baloogan posted:

there was, they clogged it, then they dug a poop trench

also

Baloogan posted:

thats dumb then, the bundies totally didn't scheme and plan in secret to make some federal employees have to telecommute
conspiracies don't have to be secret

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they should really have been charged with destruction of federal property or something

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Baloogan wear the hat answer the loving questions.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Baloogan posted:

Ignoring the wider context? Like people taking up arms against the state? Come on dude.

Who did the federal government steal land from in this situation? The impetus for the first Bundy insurrection was Cliven Bundy's refusal to pay grazing fees on federal land. Any landowner would demand grazing fees from a neighbor in exchange for use of his land. It was unclaimed land when the US Army arrived in the 19th century and it has remained in the federal government's custody since that point. Periodically the federal government grants tracts of land to buyers for a price.

The one party that could make a claim that their land was stolen are native americans - there were none involved in this event.

Taking my analogy even further, it is no different than me showing up at your house with a loaded rifle, camping out there, refusing to let you inside, telling you I'll waste you if you set foot inside, and then leaving at the end of the month when the cops show up.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

i will answer literally everything! what haven't i answered so far

WINNINGHARD posted:

Ignoring the wider context? Like people taking up arms against the state? Come on dude.

Who did the federal government steal land from in this situation? The impetus for the first Bundy insurrection was Cliven Bundy's refusal to pay grazing fees on federal land. Any landowner would demand grazing fees from a neighbor in exchange for use of his land. It was unclaimed land when the US Army arrived in the 19th century and it has remained in the federal government's custody since that point. Periodically the federal government grants tracts of land to buyers for a price.

The one party that could make a claim that their land was stolen are native americans - there were none involved in this event.

Taking my analogy even further, it is no different than me showing up at your house with a loaded rifle, camping out there, refusing to let you inside, telling you I'll waste you if you set foot inside, and then leaving at the end of the month when the cops show up.

the feds stole the land from the indians; and the bunides grazed on that land for generations its just recently due to politics that they are cutting off access to land that should either have been bundies to begin with or available for people to buy from the indians

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

Are you making a joke here or are you unaware of them digging the massive poo poo-trench. I'm genuinely curious, not trying to make fun of you or whatever.

yeah i heard about the poo poo trench

but till they got off I wasn't particularly interested in this, I thought they would be rotting in jail or something. Justice interests me, and I'm a bit shocked that a just verdict was reached.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baloogan posted:

bunides grazed on that land for generations its just recently due to politics that they are cutting off access to land

No.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

ive got a trillion euro peckerwoods coming at me and im one man and my flask is runneth dry
i will not run! i have, in many many many other threads been proven 100% wrong about things and i have accepted it with good humor.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it's not their land, it's federal land, that the feds lease out, at extremely favorable rates, that's the way it's always been

like this is a literal land-grab from public property

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

?
bundy father grazed there, did his parents graze their cattle there ?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Baloogan posted:

:words:
That's nice.
Now answer the loving questions instead of dodging them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the entire point of the takeover was to protest the sentence of some jackasses who poached deer ilegally out of season and then set fire to a shitload of federal land to hide the evidence of their poaching, during fuckin fire season

like there is no defense of this takeover from any angle, ignoring their idiotic actions the entire fuckin reason for this poo poo was completely retarded to begin with

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Baloogan posted:

i will answer literally everything! what haven't i answered so far

the feds stole the land from the indians; and the bunides grazed on that land for generations its just recently due to politics that they are cutting off access to land that should either have been bundies to begin with or available for people to buy from the indians

Cliven Bundy refused to pay the under-market grazing fees that the federal government asked for, because he does not believe the federal government is legitimate.

Here are the questions you have not answered:

Is the criterion for force someone actually dying?
Are you OK with threats backed by firearms if they don't result in death when the targeted party complies?
If I came to your house and put a gun in your face and said "give me everything valuable in your home or you're dead" would you consider that a peaceful exchange?
a/s/l?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's nice.
Now answer the loving questions instead of dodging them.

list the questions ive missed!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Over/under on Baloogan unironically calling the MNWR the “Harney County Resource Center”?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

WINNINGHARD posted:

Cliven Bundy refused to pay the under-market grazing fees that the federal government asked for, because he does not believe the federal government is legitimate.

Here are the questions you have not answered:

Is the criterion for force someone actually dying?
Are you OK with threats backed by firearms if they don't result in death when the targeted party complies?
If I came to your house and put a gun in your face and said "give me everything valuable in your home or you're dead" would you consider that a peaceful exchange?
a/s/l?

yes
complicated
no (tho I reject your analogy)
no (tho I reject your analogy)
older than my posts indicate / male/ america/canada

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Over/under on Baloogan unironically calling the MNWR the “Harney County Resource Center”?

i unironically don't know what MNWR or "Harney" is

its BAD and its a threat and it implies violence based on context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean any defense of the occupation is immediately undermined by the fact that it was to protest two dudes who did super illegal poo poo and cost a ton of money to the state to put the fires out, endangeroing the lives of firefighters and anyone who lived anywhere nearby who could have been affected by the fires. starting fires intentionally in fire season in this state is straight-up one of the most fuckin lovely things you can do for a whole slew of reasons, protesting the sentences of the fucks who did it immediately destroys any sense of legitimacy of their cause.