Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Covok posted:

What is the most interesting dwarves in a trpg setting? What's the most interesting hot take on the hairy little drunkards?

Elderscroll dwarves since they're all dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Gloranthan Elves are living humanoid plant-formed manifestations of the forest hive-mind, and Dwarves hate them because their messy, unpredictable growth keeps loving up their efforts to repair the world-machine.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

FMguru posted:

Gloranthan Elves are living humanoid plant-formed manifestations of the forest hive-mind, and Dwarves hate them because their messy, unpredictable growth keeps loving up their efforts to repair the world-machine.

Best reason for a racial elf-dwarf conflict.

---

Re: Anime

So in general I find anime insipid. I thoroughly enjoyed Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex and the TV sequel however. Watched it with subtitles, rewound for important dialogue, etc.

Given my biases will I enjoy Ergo Proxy (2006)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergo_Proxy

Any other hard scifi or cyberpunk in anime out there?

I've seen the Cowboy Bebop movie. It was mildly entertaining but not hard SF. It's a space opera like Star Trek.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Battle Angel Alita and Trigun

E: Sword Art Online Season 3

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Planetes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Don't listen to Plutonis, as usual. Trigun is a comedy, and Battle Angel is... depressing at times.

Also I haven't watched all of Ergo Proxy but I'd say probably not. It ventures off into weird fairly early.

A show you're more likely to enjoy is Psycho-Pass.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Helical Nightmares posted:

---

So in general I find anime insipid. I thoroughly enjoyed Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex and the TV sequel however. Watched it with subtitles, rewound for important dialogue, etc.

Mmmmmaybe? Ergo Proxy has some pretty dire lulls, and the final few episodes are honestly a bit weak after all the buildup, but it's in general an okay show. The stereotypical "recap/clip show" that a lot of anime do for some reason shows up and is completely inappropriate to the show's tone and arc, but it's probably one of the more original clip shows I've seen in an anime.

quote:

I've seen the Cowboy Bebop movie. It was mildly entertaining but not hard SF. It's a space opera like Star Trek.

The actual Cowboy Bebop series is great, though still not "hard sci-fi." I don't think there's very much of that out there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fine then, Angel Cop, MD Geist, Genocyber, Guyver, Jin-Roh.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

What is the most interesting dwarves in a trpg setting? What's the most interesting hot take on the hairy little drunkards?
I have grown incredibly fond of Zeitgeist's take on dwarves.

* They swill vodka instead of weaker beverages
* They are incredibly industrialized, with gigantic factories polluting the (snowy) ground and cold air of their homeland
* They are specifically obsessed with firearms.
* They are obsessed with death, and basically believe that the end of the world will happen any time now.
* And in general, they are deeply philosophical, with many of the world's greatest thinkers
* They have secret police who use mind control and bound spirits to patrol. And as you might expect, there are gulags.

So basically they are fatalistic not-Russians.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Fine then, Angel Cop, MD Geist, Genocyber, Guyver, Jin-Roh.

MD Geist is legitimately amazing, and the recent-ish Guyver OVA dub has some hilarious voice acting.

Let's all get together and watch Ricki-O.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

Let's all get together and watch Ricki-O.

Live Action, Anime or Both?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Don't listen to Plutonis, as usual. Trigun is a comedy, and Battle Angel is... depressing at times.

Also I haven't watched all of Ergo Proxy but I'd say probably not. It ventures off into weird fairly early.

A show you're more likely to enjoy is Psycho-Pass.

I keep telling everyone this, but the Trigun manga is legitimately a much better developed sci-fi story than the anime.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

---

I can't personally vouch for it, but Planetes might fit the bill.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I don't think there's very much of that out there.

Planetes, 95 % of Yamato 2199.

Universal Century Gundam stuff if you're okay with sci-fi that makes one major change to the laws of physics and uses it to explain everything non-scientific.

Gunbuster has time dilation from space travel as a recurring plot point, also.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Covok posted:

I've always thought the way dwarves were implemented in James Maliszewski's Dwimmermont campaign was interesting. Dwarves carve their children out of rock and use precious gems and metals to add detail, with the process eventually leading to the statue coming to life as a new dwarf. There's an optional rule for starting in debt to your parents for the cost of your construction.

It's really campaign specific and I haven't used it, but it's a neat idea nonetheless.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Space Brothers is technically Hard sci-fi in that it's basically realistic space program stuff set in the near future but it's also long stretches of not much happening, much like real space travel.

On the other hand, it features the first anime voice acting done in orbit, so that's certainly...something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Live Action, Anime or Both?

is the anime good? I've only seen the live action.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
The Trigun manga's art style gave me headaches. Way too too squiggly.

What about Appleseed? That was pretty cyberpunk.
Does Jin-Roh count? They've fit the dystopian angle down.

I'm surprised no one's suggested Legend of Galactic Heroes yet, I thought that was the usual for this kind of thing.
Or VOTOMS.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Mr. Maltose posted:

The answer, as with many such questions, lies in Glorantha.
Glorantha Dwarves are fantastic. I always find Glorantha to be a bit overwhelming, but it has fantastic concepts and the Dwarves are one of them.

While we're talking Dwarves, I'll throw in a shoutout to Burning Wheel Dwarves - they're not particularly flashy and cool in concept, but their Greed mechanic is very cool in play. Which is typical of Burning Wheel - the concepts and flavor are mostly unoriginal or "basic," but the mechanics do a great job of reinforcing characters and supporting character-driven play.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Glorantha and Exalted dwarves for me. I think conventional dwarves can be fun but there's not much reason for them to be their own species instead of just being "scots/norse underground".

I'd recommend Appleseed but only if you're willing to dig into the manga. The anime / movies are pretty dire in comparison. The first GitS manga series would also be worth your time.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Patlabor is hard scifi, or at least harder than, say, Mission of Gravity is.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

is the anime good? I've only seen the live action.

The first movie is pretty much the same as the live action but the second one is after the prison arc (which is when the plot and the gore violence goes batshit insane). The whole manga needs an adaption IMO, it's such an amazing and psychotic work.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lemon-Lime posted:

Planetes, 95 % of Yamato 2199.

Universal Century Gundam stuff if you're okay with sci-fi that makes one major change to the laws of physics and uses it to explain everything non-scientific.

Gunbuster has time dilation from space travel as a recurring plot point, also.

Well more like two major changes(Newtypes and Minovsky Particles), but yeah Gundam is a decent choice(I especially recommend Gundam The Origin)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Iron-Blooded Orphans, the most recent Gundam anime, is harder SF than the UC series — there's less by way of changes to physics and the robots beat the poo poo out of one another with projectile weapons and giant hunks of metal rather than laser-swords.

08th MS Team is probably the best UC series (tied with Origin) as it's basically Vietnam with giant robots.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Oglaf dwarves.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I liked the dwarves one of my players came up with when I was running Fellowship (for those of you who don't know, each player gets to come up with their own race in Fellowship and decides all the fluff for them, which the GM must defer to.) They were, without exception, dangerously, terminally greedy little maniacs who had a kender-esque grasp on the concept of personal property. The older and more powerful a dwarf got, and the more stuff he obtained, the stronger and more far-reaching this greed got. Your average dwarf was just a greedy lunatic who would be as likely to punch you in the face and steal your hat as he would be to grudgingly trade away some of his stuff for your sweet, sweet currency. Dwarven nobles would start border skirmishes and blood feuds with anyone nearby for seemingly no reason, following their own internal dwarven logic. The Patriarch of the Dwarves suffered the worst of all. Most high-level dwarven politics revolved around the most level-headed of his advisors attempting to avoid the Patriarch having to confront the fact that there might be stuff in the world that he didn't own, lest he declare another race war. Unsurprisingly, dwarven politics involved an awful lot of infighting and murder, so the Patriarch was exclusively the most dangerous and difficult to kill of the dwarves - and having him pissed off because he remembered that Elves exist and don't pay homage to him was bad loving news for any nearby dwarf.

The reason why the dwarves sent their champion (the Dwarf PC) to assist the Fellowship in helping defend the world against the Overlord was that upon being informed of the threat, the Patriarch flew into a rage and insisted that this was his world and no jumpstart Overlord was going to take it away from him. A race war was immediately declared against the Overlord and all dwarves who got involved were incensed that somebody might try to destroy the world and all their stuff. The Dwarf PC spent most of the campaign declaring arbitrary things to be his personal property (money, weapons, towns, the lives of the Overlord's servants) and laying waste to any who disagreed.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

BrainParasite posted:

Oglaf dwarves.

These are Forgotten Realms tinker gnomes.

by the way thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to organize them pretty soon.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 28, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
:siren: https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/792120003097157636 :siren:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Now when is Marcille arriving on the real world and marrying me so I can bully her by making gross looking food

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think I've found the most evil PC plot ever;

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Covok posted:

I'm writing up a game all about playing as dwarfs exploring dwarf ruins, so I guess I can toot my own horn a bit. My dorfs are a pretty standard Tolkien-types overall, to be honest, though they do have a bit of Dwarf Fortress in their insanities. The game's implied setting has only a few always-assumed aspects in the game, and the PCs / GM are supposed to flesh it out from there:
  • Dwarfs used to have a big under-empire, but now they're a shattered civilization which is slowly dying out.
  • Dwarfs used to have a line of semi-divine High Kings descended from the First Dwarf that had a Dune-style genetic memory which let them reincarnate in their firstborn, but the dynasty-King is now extinct. (A riff on Tolkien, believe it or not.) The cadet branches of the high kings have some of this genetic memory.
  • Dwarfs don't do worship of gods like humans do, but instead are ancestor venerators (similar to Confucianism but with some Roman ancestor/hearth spirit worship), with the First Dwarf as the ultimate ancestor. Neglecting dead ancestors or defiling dead dwarfs can cause bad things to happen to the living, because ghosts are real.
  • Dwarfs sometimes go into their abandoned ruins on expeditions with varying goals, like reclamation, treasure-hunting, or just murdering everything that moves. This is considered a polite and socially-acceptable form of suicide.
  • Some Dwarfs get wrong in the head and become Lost Dwarfs, who join doomsday cults and are instinctively drawn towards the tombs of the oldest ancestors.
  • Gnomes are strange earth elementals that appear within the ruins of old Dwarf settlements. They may or may not be related to abandoned hearth spirit shrines and are helpful but a little off.
That's all the "need to know" information that a PC or GM needs, but each character class also has a paragraph explaining how they fit into dwarf civilization (miner, tradesdwarf, berserker, etc.). It's not necessary to read it, but it does give a little more detail on a facet of dwarf culture.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

I think I've found the most evil PC plot ever;

Reading this is intensely setting off my internal "this is a stupid right wing metaphor for those darn SJWs and illegal immigrants :bahgawd:".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

Reading this is intensely setting off my internal "this is a stupid right wing metaphor for those darn SJWs and illegal immigrants :bahgawd:".
I don't think this reading is correct.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, there's no metaphor there. It's just straight up magical genocide via Baleful Polymorph with the added twist that they managed to indoctrinate the people to want it. The only way it could be more obviously genocide is if he had teams of Rangers hunt down the transformed orcs and kill them a few days later.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

How can you get an anti-immigration message from something as innocent as orc genocide :psyduck:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It's a standard alt-right thing that the purity of the Western world is being destroyed by the liberal, politically correct, "SJW" types allowing all these foreigners into the country, with their despicable sharia laws and swarthy ways, destroying the history and culture and tradition, replacing it all with mosques and kebab shops. Usually with some line about how "hurf these dumb sjws will apologise for islamophobia while isis refugee terrorists cut off their hands for eating bacon" or whatever.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I find it very unlikely that Grummsh the Orc God wouldn't have intervened for his children by revealing the truth and inciting orc revolts.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That being said were I a human supremacist with the same resources as that PC I would have a more productive plan than this foolish dove stuff. Instead I would use all these magical and cultural efforts to turn the orcs into a loyal and pliant helot race bred for manual labor, channel humanity to creative and military arts and start an eternal racial war doctrine in order to keep the elves, dwarves and halflings with too low a population to challenge mankind and plunder their resources.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That being said were I a human supremacist with the same resources as that PC I would have a more productive plan than this foolish dove stuff. Instead I would use all these magical and cultural efforts to turn the orcs into a loyal and pliant helot race bred for manual labor, channel humanity to creative and military arts and start an eternal racial war doctrine in order to keep the elves, dwarves and halflings with too low a population to challenge mankind and plunder their resources.

And then be inevitably overthrown when your slave class rebels against you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

And then be inevitably overthrown when your slave class rebels against you?

Charm spells and cultural indoctrination would make it impossible!

• Locked thread