Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

PleasingFungus posted:

I think you'll find those were :nws:

I believe you meant :nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh of course that was the message left behind bird lady. :v:

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
To the giant list of missed opportunities in this game, add the fact that a) you can't bring Tark back to Majula and b) let Shalquoir ride around on his head like her own personal Mobile Oppression Palace.

Simply Simon posted:

First of all, there is a permanently missable item in her room which Geop didn't even look at, there's a tree with a corpse on it that only she can knock down.

That loving tree.

(Artist unknown, only version I can find that isn't on a Russian social network or (probably) stolen by some random shitlord on Redbubble).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wonderslug posted:

(Artist unknown, only version I can find that isn't on a Russian social network or (probably) stolen by some random shitlord on Redbubble).
The text reads "Did you get it?" (Tark) and "I can't get it!" (Goonther) :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Hirayuki posted:

The text reads "Did you get it?" (Tark) and "I can't get it!" (Goonther) :allears:

:3: I adore this

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I wonder why Rad Rat Vanguard shows up late anyway?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Fabulousvillain posted:

He was busy getting a slice of pizza.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fabulousvillain posted:

He was in the garage guarding the vans.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Actually two of those lockstone slots lower two bridges across the chasm, one for each floor. It's pretty obvious which slots do that. I don't remember what exactly is over there, probably nothing important.

All other slots are for pvp stuff though. You might get lockstones as rare drops from those rats. I know you can get them from certain other enemies in another area.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Laputanmachine posted:

Actually two of those lockstone slots lower two bridges across the chasm, one for each floor. It's pretty obvious which slots do that. I don't remember what exactly is over there, probably nothing important.
"Sorcery" was right (it's a Hex).

The rats do stone you, but that happened to me a grand total of one time. It's weird that it even exists as a status effect, nobody will ever come close to stoning you, the ring to protect against it might therefore be the most useless piece of equipment in the game, and a player can't even inflict it. A bit like Frostbite in DS3 :v:.

Rats don't drop Lockstones, they do have their tails as a rare drop. I don't think anything drops Lockstones...except other players.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The Royal Rat Vanguard was one of the few places in the game I found heavy armor helpful -- since this is a death-by-a-thousand-cuts fight rather than a two hits = dead fight, the damage reduction becomes pretty substantial.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Simply Simon posted:

Rats don't drop Lockstones, they do have their tails as a rare drop. I don't think anything drops Lockstones...except other players.

I swear there was a way to get more lockstones in Scholar that didn't require PvP.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Green Intern posted:

I swear there was a way to get more lockstones in Scholar that didn't require PvP.

iirc the rats in this area drop them very rarely.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

double nine posted:

iirc the rats in this area drop them very rarely.

The rats in this particular area do not drop lockstones.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

The rats in this particular area do not drop lockstones.

Could have sworn ... Well I got a lockstone from a rat somewhere, was sure it was here but I guess all rats look the same, so must have been someplace else.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:mad:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm imagining Goonther swinging wildly at a horde of rats and just thinking to himself how this all happened because he wasn't paying attention while sashaying around Majula

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
That fight was a good example of why I'm not a huge fan of the mace. The range is really short and sometimes it just whiffs on things right in front of you.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

That fight was a good example of why I'm not a huge fan of the mace. The range is really short and sometimes it just whiffs on things right in front of you.
Folks grumble about me not using it in the comments on videos, but I found removing lock-on to be a work-around. I just try and veer my front-right side toward the target and it usually works out :v:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Some people are probably mad about the mace because it's very effective against most things and thus "easy mode". And you know how Souls Fans think about easy modes. It would literally kill them. The words "YOU DIED" would flash into their vision in red letters as the world around them turns black and white and a very familiar sound cue plays as their consciousness lingers for a few seconds to see the easy mode casually pathfinding back to its spawn location before it all fades to black.

That said, the best way to play Souls games is however you like and laugh at the community surrounding them.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 30, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've met very few people who actually get mad about players making the game easier in any way they can, aside from literal cheating. I don't think it's fair to say that they're representative of "the community".

The mace is a lot like the drake sword. It's very effective when you get it, but you have to be very aware of its shortcomings if you want to keep using it. I used the mace for my entire first playthrough, for what it's worth.

p.s. is anyone going to tell geop that he's had a 100% block shield gathering dust in his bags for probably months?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Geop posted:

Folks grumble about me not using it in the comments on videos, but I found removing lock-on to be a work-around. I just try and veer my front-right side toward the target and it usually works out :v:
If you do use lock on it's a real bitch to get pointed at the right one when they bunch up.

The great hammers are pretty loving awesome FYI. The 2h strong attack lets you splat the poo poo out of any human sized enemy.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Ratbros was a real fun covenant area for like the first two weeks the game came out and nobody knew what they were doing and people actually ever came into that area. RIP.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

p.s. is anyone going to tell geop that he's had a 100% block shield gathering dust in his bags for probably months?
Oh I know it's in there. It's just that I'm at 90% block on a way lighter shield, so I'm sticking with this one :v: I mentioned it briefly not long after I got it (Drangleic shield, right?).

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Can't really blame him for sticking with the mace, it's the proven weapon against the rat emperor.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Parts Kit posted:

If you do use lock on it's a real bitch to get pointed at the right one when they bunch up.

The great hammers are pretty loving awesome FYI. The 2h strong attack lets you splat the poo poo out of any human sized enemy.

All of the large heavy weapons have some interesting/frustrating after touch issues, which can really gently caress with your aim if you're not careful and keep pressing a direction after pressing the attack button.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

You should try hitting crystal lizards with the caestus :cool:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Geop posted:

Oh I know it's in there. It's just that I'm at 90% block on a way lighter shield, so I'm sticking with this one :v: I mentioned it briefly not long after I got it (Drangleic shield, right?).

drat dude, you're gittin gudder.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

The rat chomp noise is really good.

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNnvR3ms6z4

This is all I can think of when I play this portion of the game.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Fabulousvillain posted:

doing his hair takes a long time

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Green Intern posted:

All of the large heavy weapons have some interesting/frustrating after touch issues, which can really gently caress with your aim if you're not careful and keep pressing a direction after pressing the attack button.
Oh yeah, I've been driven crazy by that. The wind up is long enough you can end up turning in a completely different direction and whiff. Kind of handy on the faster stuff when you get mobbed but with the great-(whatever) weapons it's a real bitch.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Fabulousvillain posted:

To give you a chance to get killed by his ratbros.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Lots of cool little touches i never noticed in that area. I like the chains & manacles on the large skeletons in the capsule hotel...

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Late but I'm pissed that Goonther got the Lion Warrior Helm, when it's a low-chance once-in-a-playthrough drop that I've been tryna get on like all my characters (whose faces I spend like an hour getting to look right) and never have. :argh:

More timely: Glad to see some appreciation for Royal Rat Battle. It's a neat subversion of what's expected of a boss fight, albeit one that's rendered utterly trivial with the use of Alluring Skulls.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I initially loathed the rat fight, but after like.... 10+ playthroughs it's one of my favourites in the game. It has a surprising amount of ways you can deal with it, depending on build, weapons and spells you use.

I usually hate all multi-bosses, but this one is different in a good way.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Rat fight really sucks if you're powerstancing the caestus because your punches go straight out at shoulder level :mad:

If you two hand your mh fist weapon the R2 is an overhead both hands smash but it's really slow and has no range. There's a spinning 2 fisted clothesline move on the L2 when powerstancing that works ok when surrounded to do aoe damage, but again it can't hit short targets.

This fight (and another boss that geop will be probably fighting soon that I won't spoil) made me almost invalidate my punchguy run by swapping to an ultra greatsword or something :saddowns:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ratclub was the best until people worked it out. It is the greatest "be a bastard" covenant in the series.

• Locked thread