Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Have any of you ever read the "La Compagnie des glaces" books?

Are they any good? Are they only available in French?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wow, I didn't know what I was getting into and got my rear end handed to me on the first non-tutorial mission.

:xcom:?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wow, I didn't know what I was getting into and got my poo poo handed to me on the first non-tutorial mission, but :xcom: I guess

It ain't xcom unless you're dying the second you leave the ship

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I mean I'm bad at games, so really I'm getting the maximum possible XCOM for my money.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Pretend I posted a gif of old xcom with one of the soldiers stepping off the ship and immediately getting killed

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

"Meet our new class, the ranger. Her ability? A sword, naturally."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is there a way to install disc games to my PS4 or is the hard drive just there for no reason?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucSSNwu3FlU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

WHOAH!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
After a delightful business trip to Italy I am back and ready to game the heck out of video gaming!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kirby Superscare! posted:

After a delightful business trip to Italy I am back and ready to game the heck out of video gaming!

Sounds rad as f.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Sounds rad as f.

My absolute favourite thing was the pantheon. I have never seen such an impressive building. Also it is goddamn nuts that they have no real idea what it's made out of other than some olden days concrete that they cannot replicate!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is there a way to install disc games to my PS4 or is the hard drive just there for no reason?

All PS4 games are installed to the hard drive, you still need the disc to run physical copies though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am getting myself a new gaming PC with a i5-6600, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and a GTX 1070.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My absolute favourite thing was the pantheon. I have never seen such an impressive building. Also it is goddamn nuts that they have no real idea what it's made out of other than some olden days concrete that they cannot replicate!

Did you make an Oculus Rift joke when looking up at the ceiling?

Your status as mod hinges on your answer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lobok posted:

Did you make an Oculus Rift joke when looking up at the ceiling?

Your status as mod hinges on your answer.

I am afraid I did not. I don't know much about VR as it doesn't interest me too much so I am unsure on the connection with the Rift and the Pantheon. :(

I did manage to use my old latin schooling to roughly translate the inscription on the outside though!

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

I am afraid I did not. I don't know much about VR as it doesn't interest me too much so I am unsure on the connection with the Rift and the Pantheon. :(

I did manage to use my old latin schooling to roughly translate the inscription on the outside though!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Good lord it didn't even occur to me. I am a bad gamer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Feel free to tell me if you want into my XCOM 2 army or whatever.

Please put me in there, I look like this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Romans used volcanic ash to make their concrete super strong(which we didn't rediscover until a while ago). :eng101: So it's probably that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rome's p. dope, hope you ate lots of gnocchi, gentle mod.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Romans used volcanic ash to make their concrete super strong(which we didn't rediscover until a while ago). :eng101: So it's probably that.

not very useful to us for most construction because it needs seawater to cure properly. much better for environment though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i want to go see the domus aurea if i go back to rome. it was closed last time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Bethesda makes bad games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWD-vVO7I7E

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

one of the things leaked by the ongoing VA strike is that activision is also working on a new crash bandicoot game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hope it's old-school platforming Crash Bandicoot and not the lovely beat-em-ups they're doing nowadays.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Nintendo wiped the 'how to make a good 3d platformer' memories of all the other game devs so they can keep the genre for themselves

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

No need for that, devs over the world just had a collective brain aneurysm and replaced that part of their memories with 'hide behind chest-high-walls' and 'eh look at them CoD numbers, eh'.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Real talk though considering how quickly the video games industry burns through devs, that might actually be the case. How long do most people last in game development, maybe ten years or so? There's probably barely anyone from the generation that knew how to do good 3D platforming design around anymore, outside of a company like Nintendo where they've kept making it as a genre. A lot of the folks from Rare who are making Yuka-Lalee are in their forties, you've gotta imagine a lot of people from their generation of developers simply aren't in the industry anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

does ratchet and clank count as a 3d platformer

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

does ratchet and clank count as a 3d platformer
Yeah, it does.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

then ratchet and clank

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Endorph posted:

then ratchet and clank

but I thought it was a movie - are you saying there's a game about it already??

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also it doesn't seem like a common viewpoint but Assassin's Creed as a series are 3D platformers to me.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 29, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think the precipitous vanishing of 3D platformers is largely due to the market becoming oversaturated in the early PS2 era and most gamers deciding they were loving sick of seeing cute usually-animals hop around 3D environments and collect thingamajigs. Sales on those kinds of games dropped hard and almost every dev who was known for them moved on to other, more profitable genres. Mario and (ugh) Sonic's sales aside, it's still seen as a pretty big gamble to make a game like that when you could make, I dunno, Infamous 7 for the same kind of budget and almost certainly sell better.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also Uncharted was at its best when it was a 3D platformer and not a lovely TPS.

Really they're still making platformers they're just tied in with TPSes and/or sandbox games nowadays.

*Edit* I just remembered Shadow of Mordor, that's a 3D platformer for the most part too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Also it doesn't seem like a common viewpoint but Assassin's Creed as a series are 3D platformers to me.

I didn't realize the platformer genre had gotten this bad.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

one of the things leaked by the ongoing VA strike is that activision is also working on a new crash bandicoot game

Activision has never distributed a good Crash Bandicoot game. I would say Crash Bandicoot could only work in Naughty Dog's hands but they haven't made anything good since the first Jak and Daxtar game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't played an assassin's creed since AC3 but isn't the platforming just 'hold button to parkour'

e: The mirror's edge games are good 3D platformers

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 29, 2016

• Locked thread