Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

Well here's something potentially more interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37767945

I don't really know enough to critically analyse this at this point, but would this give Aberdeen some form of "stock market"?

My gut instinct is to not like this move, but I'm not sufficiently trained in economics to definitively say why it's wrong. It feels a lot like PFI, though, they're selling debt further down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
On the topic of minimum pricing I was reminded that this ridiculous advert exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kmh4BbJPz8

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

This is a waste of money.

Scottish diplomatic mission will go as well as one would expect. No doubt a waste of time.

Scottish Government shall publish Brexit negotiation to keep Scotland within the European union expected to be before the end of 2017

Scottish NHS is failing to meet the targets...not that it's a surprise.

The Times has an article about EU diplomats praising Scotland as ‘haven’ in wake of Brexit. But The Times needs a subscription to get to the full thing. So here are a couple of images of said article.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How close are ye scots towards gettin a second referendun date? Anything interesting happen this October?
(Representing as an 8th Generation Scots-Irish American)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
if you were of real 1/2^8 scottish blood you'd already know all the news through your spiritual link to your homeland, get out foreign scum :mad:

but not much has happened, apart from the First Minister making some threatening noises and the Prime Minister predictably not looking too keen to walk away from Full Tory Hard Brexit Madness on account of some Scots who didn't give her many MPs to begin with. I figure things are just going to quietly simmer for a while until Article 50 gets activated and the shitshow of EU negotiations begins.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think May will be in a hurry to allow a second referendum.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

if you were of real 1/2^8 scottish blood you'd already know all the news through your spiritual link to your homeland, get out foreign scum :mad:

Please do not be disparaging of our Caledonian Uprooted Now Transatlantic brethren. They know no better.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think May will be in a hurry to allow a second referendum.

There are a fair few reasons why not allowing one would be an incredibly dumb thing for her to do.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

IceAgeComing posted:

There are a fair few reasons why not allowing one would be an incredibly dumb thing for her to do.

What are those ?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

This would be Theresa May, noted non-doer of incredibly dumb things?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Angepain posted:

Oh sorry I didn't know that some 'TRUE' Scotsmen were apparently ultra-nationalist pricks!
I'm trying to show solidarity to my long-forgotten ancient homeland, and you have the audacity spit on my good intentions?
What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Grouchio posted:

Oh sorry I didn't know that some 'TRUE' Scotsmen were apparently ultra-nationalist pricks!
I'm trying to show solidarity to my long-forgotten ancient homeland, and you have the audacity spit on my good intentions?

I really really hope you're serious.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Grouchio posted:

While it's true that Scotland does have a nationalist problem, I think he was joking.

IceAgeComing posted:

Let's hear them :allears:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

I really really hope you're serious.
I seriously doubted that he was joking.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Of course I was joking. The spiritual plane of true scottish blood is mostly filled with talk about football scores and arguments about chip toppings, it's a terrible place for news

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Some very welcome news on steps towards a sensible approach to drugs: 'Fix rooms' plan for Glasgow drug addicts set for green light. This is driven by Glasgow council, NHS greater Glasgow and Clyde and the police, rather than central government, so has nothing to do with the SNP - but to be fair I suspect that a similar project in, say, london, would've been attacked fiercely by May et al.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I dunno. This is really bad. Now, I know it's The National and so obviously will be embarrassing, but they've come up with this monstrosity. Yes, a really ugly cover for your passport that will let you pretend Scotland is a real cover. Jesus.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno. This is really bad. Now, I know it's The National and so obviously will be embarrassing, but they've come up with this monstrosity. Yes, a really ugly cover for your passport that will let you pretend Scotland is a real cover. Jesus.

This is some pretty tribalist poo poo, but none more than we've come to know and expect from the national.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Sion posted:

This is some pretty tribalist poo poo, but none more than we've come to know and expect from the national.

I dunno, this seems like they're branching out with this, trying to be as cringingly poo poo in as many different ways as possible. It's not just the fact that they're selling such sub Royal Mile gift shop tacky crap that's irritating, but the way they write about said pointless tat so triumphantly, as if they're doing us all a favour by bestowing it upon the world at the low low price of way too much

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

jre posted:

What are those ?

It wouldn't end the debate; if anything it'd make the debate more angry and then you might have a Catalan type situation on your hands. The Scottish government would run something that vaguely resembles a referendum anyway which independence would win since a fair chunk of no voters wouldn't vote in a non-binding vote and then things just never get defused. Add in that attitude in Brussels in that situation would be broadly favourable to Scotland right in the middle of the Brexit negotiations plus also the fact that a second referendum was in the SNP manifesto in the last Scottish election in which they almost got another majority, and I'd say that you have a fair few good reasons to not oppose a second independence referendum.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The last referendum hardly 'ended debate' either. What's the point in another one? Nationalists would be demanding a third the next day.

'Almost got a majority' is hardly a ringing endorsement for a manifesto commitment.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sion posted:

I dunno. It feels like a step up from their usual cringeworthy drivel. When The National launched, I really did think it'd be a positive thing to have a pro-indy paper just because the balance in the press failed totally to represent almost half the population. But they totally half-arsed it and we got the biggest pile of drivel that may as well just be the party paper of the SNP because it's so unwilling to hold them to account from a pro-indy perspective.

Do we know what it's circulation is?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
About 15,000 last time I heard.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Christ, is that all? About half of what the Evening Times manages despite that only being sold in Glasgow. I'd have thought they'd at least match the Sunday Herald, or get near it's 50,000.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

About 15,000 last time I heard.

Best I can tell that's as of January 2015; Wings Over Scotland (I know, I know) has it at 12,100 in February 2016:

quote:

DAILIES

The Scottish Sun: 214,800 (down 7.8%)
Daily Record: 176,100 (down 10.2%)
Scottish Daily Mail: 86,958 (down 3.4%)
The Press & Journal: 56,400 (down 6.4%)
The Courier: 43,000 (down 8.4%)
Scottish Daily Express: 40,800 (down 11.5%)
Daily Star Of Scotland: 38,200 (down 4.7%)
The Herald: 32,100 (down 13.2%)
The Scotsman: 22,700 (down 13.5%)
The Times: 19,900 (up 8.9%)
The i: 16,800 (down 7.2%)
Daily Telegraph: 16,300 (down 5.1%)
Daily Mirror: 13,500 (down 18.8%)
The National: 12,100 (first figures)
The Guardian: 8,700 (down 7.3%)
Financial Times: 2,400 (up 4.5%)
The Independent: 2,400 (down 10.2%)

SUNDAYS

Sunday Mail: 195,000 (down 9.2%)
The Scottish Sun On Sunday: 161,500 (down 5.6%)
The Sunday Post: 127,600 (down 14.8%)
The Scottish Mail On Sunday: 74,400 (down 5.3%)
The Sunday Times: 42,700 (down 1.5%)
Sunday Herald: 25,000 (down 22.4%)
Scottish Sunday Express: 23,400 (down 11.4%)
Scotland On Sunday: 22,000 (down 19.9%)
Daily Star Of Scotland Sunday: 21,000 (down 3.9%)
The Sunday Telegraph: 13,800 (down 8.7%)
The Observer: 12,400 (down 4%)
Sunday Mirror: 12,000 (down 27.2%)
The People: 7,300 (down 19%)
Independent On Sunday: 4,900 (down 10.1%)

All figures from Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC)

Some of these figures definitely surprised me. The Sunday Herald being significantly down on the daily is strange, and I would've thought the FT would be doing better, what with the finance sectors in Edinburgh and Glasgow. I know print is struggling and the Grauniad has plenty of unique issues, but its really quite pitiful presence was still a shock

Niric fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 31, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Niric posted:

Best I can tell that's as of January 2015; Wings Over Scotland (I know, I know) has it at 12,100 in February 2016:

Some of these figures definitely surprised me. The Sunday Herald being significantly down on the daily is strange, and I would've thought the FT would be doing better, what with the finance sectors in Edinburgh and Glasgow. I know print is struggling and the Grauniad has plenty of unique issues, but its really quite pitiful presence was still a shock

The Graun's Scottish coverage is next to zero, it's little wonder they do so poorly up here.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I think it's just the price of the newspapers combined with people just moving to the digital format because it's cheaper and more convenient.

EDIT: Legalize All the Drugs

So my knowledge of dugs here is limited. Is the Scottish Parliament capable of legalizing drugs or is it only capable of decriminalizing or neither?

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 31, 2016

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Extreme0 posted:

So my knowledge of dugs here is limited. Is the Scottish Parliament capable of legalizing drugs or is it only capable of decriminalizing or neither?

In theory I believe the Parliament would be capable of full legalisation, since law and justice are devolved, but in practice I suspect things are a lot trickier, and not just because of the political will required. I don't know if the situation has arisen before where a Scottish law flat out breaks or contradicts a UK law, or what the legal and political situation would be (I realise Scots law is different, but would holyrood be capable of, to pick an extreme example, legalising murder?). There's some interesting Scottish lawyer bloggers floating about that come up here periodically, and they may have written on this.

The Scotland Act 2012 made some amendments to the misuse of drugs act 1972, which seems directly pertinent, but that list of amendments requires more cross referencing than is feasible on a phone on the way home, so maybe some kind soul can have a crack at parsing it

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'd imagine human rights law would prevent them from legalising murder.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

cargohills posted:

I'd imagine human rights law would prevent them from legalising murder.

Yes, but whose human rights laws? European, presumably - which potentially gets into the thorny question of what brexit means - but establishing which body has ultimate or at least effective legal authority is precisely the issue (although, fortunately for our purposes, I don't think drugs law has a brexit angle)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

European human rights law isn't connected to the EU and won't automatically be effected by Brexit. As it is the Scottish Parliament is bound by law to respect the ECHR and to follow the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Pissflaps posted:

The last referendum hardly 'ended debate' either. What's the point in another one? Nationalists would be demanding a third the next day.

'Almost got a majority' is hardly a ringing endorsement for a manifesto commitment.

The last referendum did end any serious support, and the Nats would've struggled to have a new referendum on anyone's agenda for a generation. Then the Brexit happened. The worse the UK's post-Brexit situation looks, and the more inevitable a hard, full-chaos Brexit becomes, the greater the support for independence. EU officials are well placed to fan the flames and say nice, supportive (but non-binding) things to Scotland to increase the panic and division on the UK side and prevent us making a decent show of negotiations. The Nats will build support anywhere they can because that's their stock-and-trade. Theresa May will ignore and sideline the issue as much as possible, which also won't help much as frustration over being ignored and sidelined will blend smoothly with Brexit anxiety to really get the fire going.

I don't know if a renewed referendum is actually on the cards, but there are a LOT more people who stand to gain by playing it up, both here in Scotland and on the continent. Perhaps the smartest thing May could do is call a snap referendum next week, whilst we're still only 20% or so into Brexit meltdown, and hope for the best.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's the thing though: support for independence has hardly changed, despite the Brexit vote.

I also don't think the EU as a whole will be so Machiavellian on the subject in order to affect the Brexit negotiations. Like you said, it's just a couple of people saying nice non-committal things.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Pissflaps posted:

I also don't think the EU as a whole will be so Machiavellian on the subject in order to affect the Brexit negotiations.

Sure thing, there's no way that politicians would stoop so low to further their own and their countries' interests, nope, none at all. And I say this as an independence voter, so while it would further what I would like to happen, I'm not naive enough to think it'd be done in our interest.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's precisely because it's not in their interests that I don't think they do it.

The EU isn't going to give Scotland independence.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
It does make the UK as a whole more divided in the negotiations, which is in their interests. And it also is a giant green flag to the rest of the countries who have people crowing for their own referendums regarding the EU that the EU is such a good thing that a country would divide so that part of it could stay in after the rest voted to leave.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The country is split almost 50/50 on the issue - it's not Scotland uniquely that is a divisive factor.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
While very true, any further wedge or destabilization couldn't hurt.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think you'd have to wait till Article 50 is activated and everything does or doesn't go to poo poo. That's when you will or will not get any possible swings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Yeah, nothing will happen other than Sabre rattling and political posturing until the trigger is finally pulled and deals start getting made in earnest