Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

cyberbug posted:

The record for a simulated dive is 71 atm. Main problem is finding a gas you can breath at those pressures. They used hydrogen and helium with a tiny bit of oxygen so it's not explosive. Even a tiny bit gives more than enough partial pressure when you're that deep.

If someone opened the door accidentally, "instant human souffle" would probably be the best description as all the dissolved gases in the body's water content would bubble out at once.

It's not really even explosivity that's the problem - practically everything you'd want to breathe becomes toxic or has other detrimental effects at high pressures.

Oxygen, of course, loves to reach with everything, and will mess up your lungs something fierce if it's too concentrated for them to handle. It'll also mess up your eyes and other mucous membranes too. Oh, and killing off all sorts of other important stuff like "red blood cells" and "your central nervous system". So if you want to go to high pressures, you want to cut down the oxygen concentration so that once you're at depth, it's back down to safe levels. So what can you use to bulk out your breathing gas that's not going to poison you?

Nitrogen's a good starting point, right? I mean it's already most of the atmosphere and it's pretty inert. Except that it dissolves in your bloodstream and acts as a narcotic - starts with feeling a little drunk, ends up with serious hallucinations, unconsciousness, or straight-up death. So then you start using a trimix with helium, which gets you a bit further - until you start getting helium tremors due to it messing with your nervous system. That's where the hydrogen comes in I guess, except that hydrogen is pretty hallucinogenic.

Really, fluid breathing is probably a better plan. It has its own complications of course, but having an incompressible fluid providing oxygen solves a whole bunch of partial-pressure issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
You'd be surprised at how many people die in poo poo ponds on cattle farms.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Splode posted:

Those naughty boys from on the roofs are at it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf0tQr2e6cg

A whole channel of gut churning site access violations

Looks like the Votivkirche

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Votive_Church,_Vienna

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Did the video thumbnail clue you in?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

GotLag posted:

Did the video thumbnail clue you in?

There's only two large gothic cathedrals in Vienna, and only one has two spires.

Plus you couldn't do this at the other one and get away with it since it's in the middle of the city and the #1 tourist spot

e: oh just noticed the thumbnail says votiv church.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've heard, though I don't know if it's true, that when someone falls into a manure pond on a hog farm or whatever they don't even bother with a rescue effort unless someone saw them go in. Just the concentration of ammonia and hydrogen sulfide is enough to kill you in seconds, and if you somehow survived that and didn't drown, you will with 100% certainty be infected with several different strains of pathogenic bacteria and parasites.

Jabor posted:

Really, fluid breathing is probably a better plan. It has its own complications of course, but having an incompressible fluid providing oxygen solves a whole bunch of partial-pressure issues.

It doesn't solve the issue where you need to move something like 20kg of liquid in and out of your lungs every minute. Your diaphragm isn't evolved for that sort of work and you'd exhaust yourself after a few minutes.

Fluid breathing can work if you have a pump system mechanically forcing the stuff in and out of your lungs, though, so give that one a shot.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Seems like it would be easier to just have a pump connected directly to your veins. You wouldn't even need to breath then!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

We'd also need a set of drugs that can suppress a bunch of things like trying to breathe and oh god I can't breathe. You'd need to put a cap on that so that the oxygen doesn't defuse in reverse out of the blood right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The sensation of "oh god I can't breathe" is related to CO2 concentration in your blood. As long as that's kept in check, you won't feel like you're suffocating.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Some industrial bakeries use water-jet cutters to cut bread, but the water moves so fast it never has a chance to make the bread soggy.

That's your Bread-Fact for the day, boys and girls.

Bread-facts are knead-to-know only.....

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

The sensation of "oh god I can't breathe" is related to CO2 concentration in your blood. As long as that's kept in check, you won't feel like you're suffocating.

I was thinking that you'd want to stop the person from breathing entirely so that the oxygen doesn't diffuse out of their blood via the lungs (happens in a vacuum does it happen in a gaseous but oxygen free environment? I'd expect it does because it's an entirely passive process based on concentrations on either side of a membrane) and that might cause issues. Maybe I'm off base about that though

edit: is there even data on this? it seems like we're entering the end of the medical science spectrum where it becomes weird to do experiments on real people, but we do know from accidents that it happens in a vacuum or at atmospheric pressure when oxygen levels are too low or co2 levels are too high

edit 2: I'm a nuclear engineer and my last biology class was in grade 12 so maybe I'm just wrong though

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 29, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BattleMaster posted:

I was thinking that you'd want to stop the person from breathing entirely so that the oxygen doesn't diffuse out of their blood via the lungs (happens in a vacuum does it happen in a gaseous but oxygen free environment? I'd expect it does because it's an entirely passive process based on concentrations on either side of a membrane) and that might cause issues. Maybe I'm off base about that though

edit: is there even data on this? it seems like we're entering the end of the medical science spectrum where it becomes weird to do experiments on real people, but we do know from accidents that it happens in a vacuum or at atmospheric pressure when oxygen levels are too low or co2 levels are too high

edit 2: I'm a nuclear engineer and my last biology class was in grade 12 so maybe I'm just wrong though

The fluid-breathing stuff is an oxygenated fluorocarbon emulsion. It can dissolve more O2 and CO2 per volume than the blood itself can. Oxygen won't dissolve back out of the blood into the medium any more than it does into the air you breathe every day.

It's been used in people, chiefly in premature infants whose lungs cannot inflate fully on there own, where it serves to provide mechanical support for the lung structure while keeping the infant oxygenated.

The chief problem with using it for underwater applications has been stated: unless there's something else keeping is circulating, the work of breathing it in and out is very tiring. Also the feeling of your lungs filling with it in the first place can't be that great.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was thinking about piping oxygen directly into one's veins

Ak Gara posted:

Seems like it would be easier to just have a pump connected directly to your veins. You wouldn't even need to breath then!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BattleMaster posted:

This kills the patient.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

That would be... bad.
You need oxygen to be dissolved in the blood. If it's present as gas then all you'll achieve is blocking the veins and killing the subject.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yes no poo poo, presumably the apparatus would be more complicated than an IV needle and a tank of oxygen gas

edit: more like a dialysis machine that puts stuff in rather than taking stuff out

edit 2: actually while taking the CO2 out as well

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

BattleMaster posted:

Yes no poo poo, presumably the apparatus would be more complicated than an IV needle and a tank of oxygen gas

edit: more like a dialysis machine that puts stuff in rather than taking stuff out

No, you didn't say that so you are dead now.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Decrepus posted:

No, you didn't say that so you are dead now.

might as well go right to Dr pepper

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Not really related but this made me want to know if you could do a thing where you put people in a circle with IVs attached between them and circulate the blood from one person to the next?

It would be like a human centipede but with blood and it's a circle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what the gently caress

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Not really related but this made me want to know if you could do a thing where you put people in a circle with IVs attached between them and circulate the blood from one person to the next?

:catstare:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

I think you're referring to a heart-lung machine. It's commonly used during heart surgeries to pump and oxygenate blood while the heart is stopped.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

might as well go right to Dr pepper

It can double as birth control!

e: Christ, that blood circle thing is sick.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Mengele parachute account spotted.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The reason IV's are hung is so gravity assists the flow. Connecting people via IV tubes with no kind of automated pumping probably wouldn't work for long. If it flowed at all it would be slow, so clots would form and the flow would stop.

Maybe some sort of maypole configuration? Each person has one arm secured to the 'maypole' in the center, so that there is only a couple inches between the arm and the next arm in the loop. At that distance you might even be able to directly splice the veins, so you wouldn't need IV tubes at all.

I don't think that would be enough so that you could only feed one of them and let nutrition flow from vein to vein though through the whole system though. Arm veins are tiny. Leg veins might work better.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fun story!

some scientists did basically this with a young mouse and an old mouse, and all that young blood reversed some aging in the old mouse!

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v20/n6/full/nm.3569.html

So yeah, you could do it, a blood human centipede where the old people suck the youth out of the young people.

And you thought you were mad at boomers for ruining the job market and house prices and the environment. Just wait until they start this poo poo.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Facebook Aunt posted:

The reason IV's are hung is so gravity assists the flow. Connecting people via IV tubes with no kind of automated pumping probably wouldn't work for long. If it flowed at all it would be slow, so clots would form and the flow would stop.

Maybe some sort of maypole configuration? Each person has one arm secured to the 'maypole' in the center, so that there is only a couple inches between the arm and the next arm in the loop. At that distance you might even be able to directly splice the veins, so you wouldn't need IV tubes at all.

I don't think that would be enough so that you could only feed one of them and let nutrition flow from vein to vein though through the whole system though. Arm veins are tiny. Leg veins might work better.

I was thinking of some kind of pump to keep things going. Would it matter if the blood flowing from one person to the next was already oxygenated or not?

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Powershift posted:

Fun story!

some scientists did basically this with a young mouse and an old mouse, and all that young blood reversed some aging in the old mouse!

So yeah, you could do it, a blood human centipede where the old people suck the youth out of the young people.

And you thought you were mad at boomers for ruining the job market and house prices and the environment. Just wait until they start this poo poo.

theil_soon.jpeg

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Powershift posted:

Fun story!

Yeah, I read that Peter Theil and other rich weirdos do that. My understanding was that it really doesn't work in humans or that the effects in the mice were exaggerated.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I was thinking of some kind of pump to keep things going. Would it matter if the blood flowing from one person to the next was already oxygenated or not?

Probably not, as long as you aren't connecting veins to arteries.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah, I read that Peter Theil and other rich weirdos do that. My understanding was that it really doesn't work in humans or that the effects in the mice were exaggerated.

doesn't stop the fact that there are some silicon valley asshats who want to do this

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

I thought it was caused by the NYPD

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Want to, which I don't mind because IIRC a bunch of those mice died shortly after from stuff like brain aneurysms.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Powershift posted:

Fun story!

IRL bloodbags.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

flosofl posted:

quote:

Worker died of suffocation due to inhalation of manure.
:stonk:

Biff Tannen died the way he lived.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Biff Tannen died the way he lived.
[/quote]

Actual OSHA. The female bully hoverboarder in BttF2 hit the pillar in the hoverboard chase scene and got messed up pretty bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ZdMOMUgXE&t=156s

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
:nws:
http://i.imgur.com/bIPZzpX.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Jesus Christ

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Where's the OSHA? Oh, is it because he's not wearing gloves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Where's the OSHA? Oh, is it because he's not wearing gloves?

I don't see a high vis jacket anywhere.