Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

IMJack posted:

I dunno, "intellectual" characters that do the overly wordy "if my calculations are correct" spiel when solving a problem have always annoyed me. At least V has the sense to keep things concise when in immediate danger.

Except V does does deductive logic, just verbalized. Whereas that obnoxious trope seems to center on "using the magic of math I come to (conclusion)"

C3PO spewing out a bullshit odds of getting through an asteroid field is qualitatively different than v trying to explain why a caster is probably nearby out loud.

V is just a bit of a sperg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The ridiculousness of high level adventures vs real world physics coming into play again. I'm sure she'll walk off that whack with the axe bigger than her entire body just like Roy did the triceratops goring, but...seriously, ouch.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zoe posted:

The ridiculousness of high level adventures vs real world physics coming into play again. I'm sure she'll walk off that whack with the axe bigger than her entire body just like Roy did the triceratops goring, but...seriously, ouch.

Sometimes it really does work in the narrative's favour, like with Elan's dad going "You'll live" and then impaling Elan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sometimes it really does work in the narrative's favour, like with Elan's dad going "You'll live" and then impaling Elan.

Then Elan throwing that back at him when he let him fall off the airship.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Giants referring to normal-size humans as "littlings", I like that. Is that something Rich came up with?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Parahexavoctal posted:

Giants referring to normal-size humans as "littlings", I like that. Is that something Rich came up with?

"Normal" size "humans"? Check your privilege!

- B & V

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Parahexavoctal posted:

Appears so. D&D Giants from what I know tend to call humanoids and the like Small Folk.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

New one!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Blackwing continues to say what we're all thinking.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yup, that airship mutiny coming any day now.

Starting to think this is when it'll finally come to a head, maybe some argument or fight will get the ship wrecked or they'll dump the heroes and turn back. At the very least if they all get through the pass maybe this'll be the incident that precipitates the airship parting ways with the heroes, or else we'll just have to go through even more inter-crew drama later.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like this encounter. Good strategy.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Someone said it earlier, but it feels like the crew needs either more character development, or less. A mutiny out of nowhere because the party still hasn't learned their lesson about ignoring NPCs seems fitting, and if not that, this group needs more to make me actually care about them or feel like valuable panel space isn't being wasted whenever they're arguing with each other without a party member present.

It's weird because he seems like he's trying so hard to give them personalities, but even the Azurites with bit parts felt less intrusive. Though it may just be that there's more a sense of urgency now and I just have less patience for uppity NPCs thinking they're real people.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well having them get in the way of the main characters to teach them a lesson certainly isn't going to engender any empathy for them to the readers. Not really bothering me though. I'm assuming they aren't going to mutiny in the middle of a combat situation because that would be pretty dumb.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Unless whoever's making the frost giants do this thing suddenly pops in to say "hi, here's a shitton of money to do pirate things". Anyways, what's the prevailing theory on who's got them doing this?

Nokrud? An especially savvy Redcloak? Tarkin still not realizing the story isn't about him? The evil trio whose names escape me? It's probably a bit late in the game for a new major antagonist, but who knows.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Unless whoever's making the frost giants do this thing suddenly pops in to say "hi, here's a shitton of money to do pirate things". Anyways, what's the prevailing theory on who's got them doing this?

Nokrud? An especially savvy Redcloak? Tarkin still not realizing the story isn't about him? The evil trio whose names escape me? It's probably a bit late in the game for a new major antagonist, but who knows.

It's quite obviously their god who is an ally of Hel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zoe posted:

Someone said it earlier, but it feels like the crew needs either more character development, or less. A mutiny out of nowhere because the party still hasn't learned their lesson about ignoring NPCs seems fitting, and if not that, this group needs more to make me actually care about them or feel like valuable panel space isn't being wasted whenever they're arguing with each other without a party member present.

I love Order of the Stick and have read it for years enjoying nearly every single strip in that time, but it has a major problem with tons and tons of ideas interrupting the main story. I can only imagine Rich barely restrained himself in not going through with Kubuto's trial.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
In that, he's at least true to the central conceit.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think it reads fine when going back over it later. It just drags in "infrequent update" format.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Colonel Cool posted:

I think it reads fine when going back over it later. It just drags in "infrequent update" format.

Yeah, that's true, but that's how it's presented and it can get painful. Now, as I said, I love OotS just fine, but it still counts as a flaw when the author isn't taking the fact that it has such glacial pace into account when plotting these constant diversions.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, that's true, but that's how it's presented and it can get painful. Now, as I said, I love OotS just fine, but it still counts as a flaw when the author isn't taking the fact that it has such glacial pace into account when plotting these constant diversions.

Except its been clear for years that he paces for the books, since that's where the money is for him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

jng2058 posted:

Except its been clear for years that he paces for the books, since that's where the money is for him.

The fact that they make for good chopped up segments doesn't change that this story has an abnormal number of "side quests".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WickedHate posted:

The fact that they make for good chopped up segments doesn't change that this story has an abnormal number of "side quests".

what do you think a story is

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Dice rolls and encounter tables?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's a valid metaphor since OotS is rooted in being a Dungeons & Dragons parody, and the distractions would be even crazier if it wasn't.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I for one am going to be sad when this baby is over so bring on the side-quests!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WickedHate posted:

It's a valid metaphor since OotS is rooted in being a Dungeons & Dragons parody, and the distractions would be even crazier if it wasn't.

lol wtf

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

WickedHate posted:

I'm with you -- I enjoyed the story the most when I stopped reading it (somewhere in Azure City?) and came back a couple years later and got to read several hundred strips straight through. I honestly do not like the weekly comic strip format for anything more involved than Peanuts and Garfield, because I just find it really hard to maintain interest when I only get to read a page every week or so. I stopped reading comic books for the most part because of that, and I only pick those up when there's a complete story to read all at once.

A couple years ago, I asked the thread if there were any other stories that had been presented to the public in these bite-sized once-a-week updates, and was really shocked to hear you guys tell me... was it Charles Dickens' stories that had been released like that? Apparently it wasn't uncommon back then to just release a chapter of a book every few weeks, which makes it absolutely baffling to me how those stories got such widespread appeal.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, don't quote me on this, but I think serial publishing was more or less the norm in those days. And I even dimly recall a story about a crowd of people gathering at the place where they offloaded the latest installment of some Charles Dickens novel and begging the workers to tell them whether a certain character survived the cliffhanger. I'm absolutely sure more than one Victorian ruffian got knifed outside a pub in those days for violating spoiler policies.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Phenotype posted:

I'm with you -- I enjoyed the story the most when I stopped reading it (somewhere in Azure City?) and came back a couple years later and got to read several hundred strips straight through. I honestly do not like the weekly comic strip format for anything more involved than Peanuts and Garfield, because I just find it really hard to maintain interest when I only get to read a page every week or so. I stopped reading comic books for the most part because of that, and I only pick those up when there's a complete story to read all at once.

A couple years ago, I asked the thread if there were any other stories that had been presented to the public in these bite-sized once-a-week updates, and was really shocked to hear you guys tell me... was it Charles Dickens' stories that had been released like that? Apparently it wasn't uncommon back then to just release a chapter of a book every few weeks, which makes it absolutely baffling to me how those stories got such widespread appeal.

Also why everything Dumas wrote is ridiculously long. The abridged version of the count of monte Cristo is still like 500 pages.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, don't quote me on this, but I think serial publishing was more or less the norm in those days. And I even dimly recall a story about a crowd of people gathering at the place where they offloaded the latest installment of some Charles Dickens novel and begging the workers to tell them whether a certain character survived the cliffhanger. I'm absolutely sure more than one Victorian ruffian got knifed outside a pub in those days for violating spoiler policies.

Yeah, most stories were. Sherlock Holmes, Dickens, tons of stuff.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, serialisation has always had huge appeal for as long as mass media consumption has been a thing. And, as mentioned, the whole reason most novels from that era are so long is because they were written as serials where the authors were spinning the plot out as they went and often had to quickly write up another chapter to make rent that month.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, people think of Dickens (like they do many older writers) as this sort of immutable master of the classics, but a lot of his books are quite uneven because of precisely this fact.

He'll want to make a sudden twist or change in the story, or that month he'll be more interested in writing about X than Y, or he'll feel the need to spin out an extra chapter to secure his income while he thinks of an ending, and none of this can be smoothed over by a unified editing pass after the fact. It was all serialised, so it all went out exactly as he wrote it on a month by month basis.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah. This post:

Poison Mushroom posted:

Was hilarious because I was asking myself the same thing. I was on vacation last week and read from the start of the desert arc through the end, and it's actually perfectly clear when you read it in one go. The mountain giant god votes for destruction, so they're trying to stop the OOTS. But because the voting comics were published like two years ago, you completely forget about that. So it goes.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The giants literally just in the second to last strip that their god commands them to do it. and even if you don't remember the name of every god from two years ago, I think it has been pretty obvious that the giants were sent by a god to stop the Order from interfering with the voting.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 3, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

builds character posted:

Also why everything Dumas wrote is ridiculously long. The abridged version of the count of monte Cristo is still like 500 pages.
Dumas was paid by the line, so he used a lot of snappy dialogue until his publisher told him he'd only get paid for lines longer than six words.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Phenotype posted:

A new installment would come out, <i>everybody</i> would read it and discuss it with their friends. It's no weirder than people waiting for new episodes of a favorite TV show.

I'd imagine it may have also had something to do with people back then having less distractions and longer attention spans.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 4, 2016

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Phenotype posted:

dostoevsky did this as well

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

builds character posted:

Because he was litterally paid by chapter by the newspaper. So enjoy your filler episode. The planet will explode in 5 minute. Umberto Eco once tried to do an abridged version of monte cristo and realized after a few chapters that he was missing the point. Also if you do not like a chapter dis-railing the plot to talk about italian banditry and common punishment, feel free to jump a few pages or paragraph, there is no READING POLICE over you shoulder that going to taze you in the groin for reading in an IMPROPER way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The periodical published serial was a huge, huge deal for a long time, and arguably has had a much greater influence on literature than the novel.

For example, Alexandre Dumas's works were serials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm curious, are there any of the OMG SUBQUESTS JUST GET ONNNN WITH IT RICH that people think don't stand up on subsequent reading?