Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Godinster posted:

Apparently Bell has been calling people after they port to convince them to change their minds :lol:

:sad:

Before I switched, I asked Rogers retentions for their most competitive offer. I had been a long time customer, abusing retention deals the entire way sure, but they offered me $15 off market plans. I was already getting $25 off and the offer was to increase my cost in conjunction for more data. I asked if they could match the 2gb offer per line at $10-15 over public mobile to save me the trouble of porting, they didn't budge. I let the rep know very politely this would be the 2nd last call to rogers, the last being to confirm the final amount owing after I ported. This was about a month ago, I can only imagine their horror right now with this 4gb plan live for the next 22-23 days :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

:sad:

Before I switched, I asked Rogers retentions for their most competitive offer. I had been a long time customer, abusing retention deals the entire way sure, but they offered me $15 off market plans. I was already getting $25 off and the offer was to increase my cost in conjunction for more data. I asked if they could match the 2gb offer per line at $10-15 over public mobile to save me the trouble of porting, they didn't budge. I let the rep know very politely this would be the 2nd last call to rogers, the last being to confirm the final amount owing after I ported. This was about a month ago, I can only imagine their horror right now with this 4gb plan live for the next 22-23 days :lol:

If it makes you feel any better, those retention reps are graded on different metrics, the most important of which is whether or not they were the last retention rep someone speaks to before cancelling their account. I honestly think many of the threats of "I'm leaving" are met with skepticism by the loyalty reps who know the gross majority of people saying that never do end up leaving.

You can rest easy knowing you probably hurt his metrics a little. You'll probably rest easy if you knew how much those guys make compared to customer service reps, at least with Telus.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Does porting a number from wind to public mobile take some time? Couple hours ago I tried to get things going, got an error on the final screen, but now my sims registered.

Got a confirmation email in the activation, $120 is gone from my card, but I don't have access to my account and neither data not voice is working. Send to think I have to voice or data on my account when I call in it try to use it...

Have I missed something? This is nuts

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

w00tmonger posted:

Does porting a number from wind to public mobile take some time? Couple hours ago I tried to get things going, got an error on the final screen, but now my sims registered.

Got a confirmation email in the activation, $120 is gone from my card, but I don't have access to my account and neither data not voice is working. Send to think I have to voice or data on my account when I call in it try to use it...

pm one of their forum guys on the community portion of their website. It seems you got goofed in search of the holy grail of cheap wireless

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

grack posted:

"Please come back baby, I can change! I promise!"

More like

all cdn telecom / the CRTC posted:

"imma put it in yo rear end. Money please!!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I need :a2m:, but holding a canadian flag and a Rogers logo flag, respectively.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's called a family plan.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I just switched from Koodo to Public Mobile and had 0 problems, number ported and everything. I went to the community forums just to look around and it seems like a lot of people are having problems, notably being charged and then nothing happening. :shrug:

For data you need to go into your phone settings and then change a few things with the APN, there's an explanation of how to do that on the first page or so of their support forums. The link they provide when you finish your sign up is broken.

e: Make sure your APN entry looks like this one

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 29, 2016

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

so i got a bunch of texts that i was moved to chatr. my phone now also says im on chatr but i'm still getting hspa :smith:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Id suggest porting to public mobile m-f during weekdays only to avoid a no support window

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Id suggest porting to public mobile m-f during weekdays only to avoid a no support window

Yeah I think I'm now learning that. If I leave my old wind sim in my phone, will it just stop working at sooner point when everything gets ported over?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah I think I'm now learning that. If I leave my old wind sim in my phone, will it just stop working at sooner point when everything gets ported over?

Yeah when you port it loses service. In your case you're essentially cancelling wind during the port process. I ported a work phone number from a Rogers sim to a different Rogers sim on friday and the old sim stopped working in like 5 minutes after I got confirmation.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
My Public Mobile activation got sorted out, it was some incorrect characters in my address string on VISA's side. Everything is working now but definitely agree with the idea of not porting on the weekend to avoid long tech support delays.

w00tmonger posted:

I ported from WIND and didn't have any issues once the payment was processed. There was a point about half an hour after I completed the activation where my PM SIM could only send calls/texts and my WIND SIM would be the one receiving them, but everything was switched over once I got the "you are activated" text from PM 20 minutes later.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

w00tmonger posted:

It did when I ported as Wind won't with out every bit of information

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Ending up working out the next afternoon.... Do I need to close my wind account or does it happen automatically

go fly a bike
May 22, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It will close automatically, just make sure you've paid off your last bill.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Just got back from across your border and drat, you guys do get hosed on cell/internet. I thought we had it bad.

I looked at the Bell station for a mere 10 seconds before the nonstop sales pitch began. Which continued even AFTER I told him I was American and sticking with Verizon. Do you not understand guy?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I did the thing and ported my number to public mobile in all of 10 minutes. Very nice.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I phoned Fido and told them to try to compete with the Public Mobile deal. They couldn't come close. Get hosed Fido, see ya later

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Currently paying $115 ($129.95 all in) for two rogers lines on a 5gig share plan with our own handsets. Anyone have promotion suggestions or whatever for rogers to get more or at less cost?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

The public mobile deal

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

w00tmonger posted:

The public mobile deal

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Basically everyone everywhere should take the Public Mobile deal

unless you roam a lot maybe?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What network are they on? (I should probably just scroll back and check)

I'm in the NWT so... I'm hesitant. On Virgin now for $40 which I got on Canada Day and it's been fine. I don't think I'd save much going to Public Mobile, right?

My OnePlus 3 has been awesome so far, btw. Sucked having to get new cables (grumble), but Dash charging is super loving fast and life changing.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I'm hesitant because my wife and I travel out of province and out of country a couple times a year. The roam like home gimmick with rogers is very convenient and it would suck having to go back to buying and swapping sim cards. Also the out of province long distance restrictions are quite annoying - not being able to receive calls.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

The public mobile deal

As someone who couldn't use their Visa debit to sign up, it would've been nice if they called "payment vouchers" (I have no alternate credit agency backed plastic) by their more common nomenclature; top-up cards.

Holy poo poo, it's sooo fast. :flashfap: :circlefap:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

cowofwar posted:

I'm hesitant because my wife and I travel out of province and out of country a couple times a year. The roam like home gimmick with rogers is very convenient and it would suck having to go back to buying and swapping sim cards. Also the out of province long distance restrictions are quite annoying - not being able to receive calls.

You can throw like $8 on your account for 200 minutes that never expire. You'll still be saving a ton every month for the couple times a year you need it

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

Do you like money? Because if you do and can somehow find it within yourself to swap sims a couple times a year during travels, you can probably swim in a couple hundred dollars a year in savings.

Bonus: Targetted advertising and nicer reply :

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Since the Public Mobile deal doesn't include out of province long distance, how would you go about making LD calls? Is there a way to throw a few bucks into a LD tab or do you need to add an extra monthly fee? A friend of mine who just got the deal tried making an out of province call and it straight up didn't let her.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Fongo, or the ld addon that doesn't expire

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My haiku:

Forty bucks a month
Four gigs LTE per month
It's money well spent

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

My haiku:

Forty bucks a month
Four gigs LTE per month
It's money well spent

I mean, you get what you pay for I guess

:smug:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Once you can stream HD, what's the point of paying for more?

Green battery bar huh? I hope your Note 7 doesn't explode... :ohdear:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Once you can stream HD, what's the point of paying for more?

My numbers are bigger, I don't understand the question

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm saying 640k is more than enough. :v:

My phone doesn't even support LTE Advanced/Plus

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

I'm saying 640k is more than enough. :v:

My phone doesn't even support LTE Advanced/Plus

Hah yeah. Yeah, rip my Note7, my old Note 5 I went back is so slow :smith: I can't wait for the Pixel XL, the Canadian play store is killing me

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is there any coupon code that lets me evade the otherwise reasonable $5 fee for a PubMo simcard?

edit: Jesus Christ Redflagdeals

quote:

My question is if I could buy $100 of PM vouchers at SDM with a Tangerine CC as a drugstore purchase, earn 2/4% cashback, earn 1000 Optimum Points, load voucher onto PM account, and still earn autopay credit from the remaining balance?
Never change.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 2, 2016

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Coming from wind to public mobile this is nuts

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, you get what you pay for I guess

:smug:

I only get 50Mbps down on Bell so I don't get what I pay for I guess. :(

Shaw Go wifi is getting better and better though, almost don't need a data plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Shaw Go wifi is getting better and better though, almost don't need a data plan.

I'm incredibly peeved they won't sell access to that separately from their internet plans. They can't match what I have on teksavvy for internet and I don't watch TV so I have no interest in switching.