Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd play Gwent Solo if only for the standalone campaigns and if it isn't the rickety, money-grubbing skinner-box Hearthstone is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-3kxiOzMOg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. So I'm trying to get grandmaster cat school gear. Got the diagrams, but apparently there's a 'mastercrafted' prereq. Any idea where to find the quest? I found some online guides that show you exactly where everything is, but I figure there' sa quest like for the other gear levels right? Is it unusual it didn't come up previouslY? The other level witcher gear quests seemed to turn up easily.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Det_no posted:

Gwent talk: I loving hate the whole "reduce other unit's damage!" thing, especially the card that does it to a full row. It's like a worse scorch that you can't do anything about.

Are you talking about weather cards or is there a new type that does that?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes. So I'm trying to get grandmaster cat school gear. Got the diagrams, but apparently there's a 'mastercrafted' prereq. Any idea where to find the quest? I found some online guides that show you exactly where everything is, but I figure there' sa quest like for the other gear levels right? Is it unusual it didn't come up previouslY? The other level witcher gear quests seemed to turn up easily.

If you have the mastercrafted diagrams you have to do two more quests to access master weapon/armoursmiths. It's the elf, Hattori, in Novigrad and the dwarf in Crow's Perch. The mastercrafted diagrams themselves don't have special quests, it's just the highest level treasure hunt for each school.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I can't find the diagrams, or a quest to find them. I've done all the hanzo quests. My cat school treasure hunt quest is complete with 7/7 found.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 28, 2016

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

El Jeffe posted:

Are you talking about weather cards or is there a new type that does that?

New type. Standalone Gwent has a new mechanic that lets units and special cards reduce the strength of other cards. TONS of card have this ability, specially skellige, and it's a chore.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Det_no posted:

New type. Standalone Gwent has a new mechanic that lets units and special cards reduce the strength of other cards. TONS of card have this ability, specially skellige, and it's a chore.

Hmmm, seems interesting.

I'm not familiar at all with card games like these. Do you get new cards in your deck from winning or do you buy card packs? Both?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

I can't find the diagrams, or a quest to find them. I've done all the hanzo quests. My cat school treasure hunt quest is complete with 7/7 found.

Well there are some merchants that sell maps to the mastercrafted gear. You're not gonna get the quest until you buy the maps. Not sure if you feel like there's a difference between looking up merchant positions or looking up specific diagram positions, but unless you wanna walk around all of Vele/Novigrad and visit every merchant, here's a list of where to find the merchants that sell the maps.

Also, like already mentioned, to craft it you need to unlock both the master armorer and the master blacksmith.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

El Jeffe posted:

Hmmm, seems interesting.

I'm not familiar at all with card games like these. Do you get new cards in your deck from winning or do you buy card packs? Both?

You can get some daily resources if you win X amount of games. Every match also gives you a minuscule amount of them (about 5 and you need 30-800 to craft one card of your choice.)

At the moment it feels real grindy unless you buy card packs with real money, which sucks twice as card considering the starter decks seem pretty poo poo.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Joda posted:

Well there are some merchants that sell maps to the mastercrafted gear. You're not gonna get the quest until you buy the maps. Not sure if you feel like there's a difference between looking up merchant positions or looking up specific diagram positions, but unless you wanna walk around all of Vele/Novigrad and visit every merchant, here's a list of where to find the merchants that sell the maps.

Also, like already mentioned, to craft it you need to unlock both the master armorer and the master blacksmith.

Thanks!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Is anyone willing to make the Gwent standalone thread? I think it's about time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dandelion did you gently caress the duchess.

EDIT the duchess is awesome and everything is cheesy this is the best

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 28, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MikeJF posted:

She's great and the animation for her hand gestures is extremely on point.

Having finished B+W now (got the good sappy ending natch) I can definitively say that Regis is a bro and one of my favorite companion characters despite being around less than the likes of Dandelion or Zoltan

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, Dandelion and the Duchess have canonically had a thing going for a while now.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

MikeJF posted:

In the books, Dandelion fucks the duchess and due to Dandelion being Dandelion he gets banished from Toussaint.

I guess after a decade or so she stops caring so much.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Anarietta's VA is really good too - really conveyed that "I am rather reasonable for an aristocrat but I am still an aristocrat so don't gently caress around with me" attitude drat well.

The only ruler that was "meh": Radovid. But then, no need to be regal when you are a complete lunatic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Halser posted:

In the books, Dandelion fucks the duchess and due to Dandelion being Dandelion he gets banished from Toussaint.

I guess after a decade or so she stops caring so much.

In the game that's what happens, too.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Transmetropolitan posted:

The only ruler that was "meh": Radovid. But then, no need to be regal when you are a complete lunatic.

You sound like a sorceress.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Det_no posted:

You can get some daily resources if you win X amount of games. Every match also gives you a minuscule amount of them (about 5 and you need 30-800 to craft one card of your choice.)

At the moment it feels real grindy unless you buy card packs with real money, which sucks twice as card considering the starter decks seem pretty poo poo.

Man I wish I'd gotten into the beta so I could see for myself if I like it... Will there eventually be an open beta? :ohdear:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

Man I wish I'd gotten into the beta so I could see for myself if I like it... Will there eventually be an open beta? :ohdear:

You can still sign up with a chance of getting it and the Closed Beta will run until spring.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well, despite my aversion for deck builder card games I am forcing myself to play Gwent in the game. The stupid nilfgardian noble in the castle courtyard after the audience kicked my butt. He kept playing spies and loading up on cards and used heroes not affected by weather, then repeatedly nuked my strongest cards.
I on the other hand have my lovely beginners deck, this is exactly why I hate deck building games.
Fucker took 20 reloads to defeat.

Witcher 3 is great, Gwent not so much.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Megazver posted:

You can still sign up with a chance of getting it and the Closed Beta will run until spring.

Oh I assumed the window was closed for that, thanks!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hopper posted:

Well, despite my aversion for deck builder card games I am forcing myself to play Gwent in the game. The stupid nilfgardian noble in the castle courtyard after the audience kicked my butt. He kept playing spies and loading up on cards and used heroes not affected by weather, then repeatedly nuked my strongest cards.
I on the other hand have my lovely beginners deck, this is exactly why I hate deck building games.
Fucker took 20 reloads to defeat.

Witcher 3 is great, Gwent not so much.

You could always return and play him later with a stronger deck

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How the gently caress do you even play him 20 times without once thinking "maybe I'll just come back with a stronger deck"

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Digirat posted:

How the gently caress do you even play him 20 times without once thinking "maybe I'll just come back with a stronger deck"

I remember not being so sure that I would ever go back to that place, so that might be it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The guy in the courtyard is most definitely there specifically to encourage you to come back later with a better deck. Go back into the world and challenge some innkeepers for a while and you'll be kicking his rear end in no time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I beat him second try in my first playthrough. :smug:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I upgraded my PC and decided I want to give Witcher 3 a shot. Right now I'm still running around the first area looking to hunt a griffin, and I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm just not sure what I should be doing, the crafting and gear and poo poo is a bit confusing. Do I need to even worry about gear and potions and whatever at this point?

Also I've got like 3 ability points I need to use and I don't know what skills I should be leveling.

Can someone kinda point me in the right direction?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

White Orchard is effectively a long tutorial zone, don't worry about messing up at this stage, whatever you find will be good for local content. It's an easy zone to experiment in. Just get used to the game and take the time to figure out which playstyle you like before you commit ability points.

I would say before you finally leave White Orchard, though, it's worth exploring it thoroughly and find all the ? Points. Then craft viper swords, which you'll find the schematics for as you explore. The difficulty will get more real after you leave.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 29, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I upgraded my PC and decided I want to give Witcher 3 a shot. Right now I'm still running around the first area looking to hunt a griffin, and I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm just not sure what I should be doing, the crafting and gear and poo poo is a bit confusing. Do I need to even worry about gear and potions and whatever at this point?

Also I've got like 3 ability points I need to use and I don't know what skills I should be leveling.

Can someone kinda point me in the right direction?

Each potion and grenade only needs to be made once and then replenishes on its own, so if you have the ingredients, go ahead and make it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Each potion and grenade only needs to be made once and then replenishes on its own, so if you have the ingredients, go ahead and make it.

It took me far, far too long to realise this. I played most of the game without using any consumables.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

El Jeffe posted:

I remember not being so sure that I would ever go back to that place, so that might be it.

That's exactly it. I seem to remember someone on here said to always play opponents immediately in case you can't later.
So I did as this is my first play through and I don't want to use a guide.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's the best way to turn diamond rings and poo poo into money?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

MikeJF posted:

What's the best way to turn diamond rings and poo poo into money?

Sell them basically. Some of the merchants in blood and wine have a ton of cash. Also if you break them down the raw materials (gem dust in particular) can be sold to blacksmiths. I don't think they'll buy the ring itself.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
Speaking of Blood and Wine - how long is the main quest? I mean, do we have any rational pauses in the investigation to set off and do a ton of of sidequests, or is it a frenetic race to the end like the later part of the main campaign? I really hate the "Sure, the loving elf is on the mountain next Sabbath, but hold on, just lemme have one more fistfight" moments.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nycticeius posted:

Speaking of Blood and Wine - how long is the main quest? I mean, do we have any rational pauses in the investigation to set off and do a ton of of sidequests, or is it a frenetic race to the end like the later part of the main campaign? I really hate the "Sure, the loving elf is on the mountain next Sabbath, but hold on, just lemme have one more fistfight" moments.

Tnere will be a point when you are presented with a very clear ultimatum, so it narratively doesn't make sense to do side stuff after that. But beforehands I felt there wasn't much pressure to keep things going. I mean, she gave you a vineyard, does she expect you not to take the occasional siesta there, investigate the cellars or something?

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Tnere will be a point when you are presented with a very clear ultimatum, so it narratively doesn't make sense to do side stuff after that. But beforehands I felt there wasn't much pressure to keep things going. I mean, she gave you a vineyard, does she expect you not to take the occasional siesta there, investigate the cellars or something?

Yeah, figured as much. Oh well, that house won't restore itself!

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
I often feel the same way when I'm playing RPGs, I do like it when the game hands a you a plausible reason for taking a breather with side quests once in a while.

There's a point in the investigation where you need to attend a party, and though it's said it will be held in the near future, no exact time frame is given. By this point the thing you're after has been identified, and is temporarily being held in check. That's one point in the main quest where I chose to imagine a one or two week gap, where Geralt could well decide to kill some time by doing some side-quests for coin.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

Veeta posted:

I often feel the same way when I'm playing RPGs, I do like it when the game hands a you a plausible reason for taking a breather with side quests once in a while.

There's a point in the investigation where you need to attend a party, and though it's said it will be held in the near future, no exact time frame is given. By this point the thing you're after has been identified, and is temporarily being held in check. That's one point in the main quest where I chose to imagine a one or two week gap, where Geralt could well decide to kill some time by doing some side-quests for coin.

That's perfect for me. :) Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Today, I heard the Pulp Fiction easter egg conversation in the barons castle, got to admire Keira's boobs and got my arse handed to me by a werewolf repeatedly, though he was below my level, do these guys regen endlessly?

Also is there a way to respec, I am relucatnt to spend points as I don't know if I can modify it later?