Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Looking forward to the Nintendo port of Inside.

the amibo would be better than the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I'm thinking it'll be 299 not including the Pro-style controller, maybe not even a Joy-Con Grip

I doubt they're going to make the only option out of the box for playing the games on the TV be holding the joy-cons in each hand. The Joy-con grip is definitely going to be included in the box.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
If Switch sales go well, my guess would be that they'd release another version in a few years with additional portable features, more durable/kid-proof build quality, and longer battery life. Consolidating development efforts would save money and give the Switch a competitive release schedule. I doubt the prospect of parents having to purchase replacement joy-cons is much of a deterrent given the potential benefits. By the time the 3DS phases out, those things will be plentiful and cheap.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it. Which sucks cause its a kids toy.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

:confused:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

no my unbreakable plastic screen/chassis solid state part toy needs a "hori not a scame screen protector" and "otterbox totally valid way to spend money defender case"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

wicka posted:

i mean the latter is dumb but the idea that this isn't equally a console and a portable, and that it will replace the 3DS eventually, is pretty stupid too. what possible reason could nintendo have for designing such a thing if doesn't sunset a secondary product line and allow them to focus all development resources on a single platform?

Why, they're obviously planning for their new platform strategy:

- Switch for ~=pro gamers=~ children, a mid-power portable tablet with some neat functions and hdmi out
- The 3dsNX portable, aimed at the 6-8yrs demographic. Identical game library to the switch.
- Mobile games for babies/adult babies

It all makes perfect sense

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
If I ever lose a joycon I will just take one off some kid and the kid's parents will buy another one

Really though this is the weirdest concern, joycons will be cheap

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

!remindmebot remind me 17 march

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
If the dock enables better performance by active cooling and more watts, games will be coded to take advantage of it. A Switch upgrade could use that to provide docked-style performance on a new 1080p screen without needing game patches

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

limaCAT posted:

!remindmebot remind me 17 march

:ohdear:

Chinese knockoffs are pretty good these days though

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

If the dock enables better performance by active cooling and more watts, games will be coded to take advantage of it. A Switch upgrade could use that to provide docked-style performance on a new 1080p screen without needing game patches

That is something demanded to the console operating system and game development libraries. Up to WiiU Nintendo made its consoles as closed boxes with hard specs and you needed to test a bit in the BIOS location. Hopefully this time Nintendo put in place some better system than "if System.isConsoleDocked()" to understand what are the underlying console capabilities.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

:ohdear:

Chinese knockoffs are pretty good these days though

Bet some goon will lose his joycons to justify the purchase of switch 2 Electric bogaloo to his spouse

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Parents afraid their dumbass kid will lose the joycons should just glue them to the tablet and also get the kid a pro controller. Either that or Nintendo should make joycons that can only be released with a key.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i miss controllers just having cords

There's someone that thinks this? Jesus, I don't. Cords are loving awful, constantly limiting where you can go to play and how far from a screen you have to be to use them, they get caught in poo poo and can nearly pull a unit out if they don't have an emergency release built it (most don't).

I'm genuinely considering not buying a NES classic because it has two wired controllers with only a few feet of cord each from what I gather, and the thought of being hampered like that and having to sit so close to a large TV to use it just doesn't appeal to me. It might be able to use wireless pro controllers from what I gather though, so if it can I'll pick one up. If it can't though, I probably won't because it's such a deciding factor for me. I really cannot imagine going back to corded controllers.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 29, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

tsob posted:

It might be able to use wireless pro controllers from what I gather though, so if it can I'll pick one up.

It can't. The other controller it works with is the Wii Classic Controller and its variant Pro edition, both of which are wired.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That's that then I guess. hosed if I'm sitting two foot from a 50" TV just to play those games. It was a nice idea, and I really hope Nintendo release a wireless controller variant in a few years (especially if you can save without going to the console itself), but it's not for me.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

tsob posted:

That's that then I guess. hosed if I'm sitting two foot from a 50" TV just to play those games. It was a nice idea, and I really hope Nintendo release a wireless controller variant in a few years (especially if you can save without going to the console itself), but it's not for me.

I think the main reason for it is that the NES Classic is supposed top be a super-affordable nostalgia device, and cutting all forms of wireless from it really keeps the cost down. Plus I bet many people actually want wired controllers just for the more authentic experience. It's a shame there's no option though. Would be nice if you could get a decent little CRT just for it and other retro consoles.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it. Which sucks cause its a kids toy.

I've got a pink rubber/silicon protector type thing on my WiiU gamepad, it's small enough that it would still fit in a small dock if that were a thing with the WiiU.

There's a different set of design challenges since the sides have to be clear and the bottom had to be flush with dock, but that's not going to stop Horii from making something.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If I ever lose a joycon I will just take one off some kid and the kid's parents will buy another one

"it could break" is a pretty strange concern as well considering literally anything can break

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lodin posted:

Parents afraid their dumbass kid will lose the joycons should just glue them to the tablet and also get the kid a pro controller. Either that or Nintendo should make joycons that can only be released with a key.

They made third party "things" for the 3DS that would lock the cart into the console to stop kids losing them.

No doubt there will be something similar for the JoyCon™s.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Parents will tie the joycons together with a length of yarn, then thread them through their children's jacket sleeves and pin them to the arm cuffs, like a pair of mittens, problem solved

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

tsob posted:

There's someone that thinks this? Jesus, I don't. Cords are loving awful, constantly limiting where you can go to play and how far from a screen you have to be to use them, they get caught in poo poo and can nearly pull a unit out if they don't have an emergency release built it (most don't).

I'm genuinely considering not buying a NES classic because it has two wired controllers with only a few feet of cord each from what I gather, and the thought of being hampered like that and having to sit so close to a large TV to use it just doesn't appeal to me. It might be able to use wireless pro controllers from what I gather though, so if it can I'll pick one up. If it can't though, I probably won't because it's such a deciding factor for me. I really cannot imagine going back to corded controllers.

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of wireless controllers. Having to worry about charging and battery levels so that you can... walk around the house while you play? I dunno.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 29, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Walk around the house? No, not really. Sit at a comfortable distance without worrying if the cord will stretch, if it's going to pull anything if you move suddenly or if it's crossing anyone's path. Just charge it for 30 minutes every few days when you're not playing, or watch an episode of something on Netflix while it's charging. Done.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of wireless controllers. Having to worry about charging and battery levels so that you can... walk around the house while you play? I dunno.

wow

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

My couch is probably a good 15-20 feet from my TV these days. If controllers were still wired, I'd need to either sit on the floor or buy those extension cables that people used to get.

On top of that, I've got dogs in the house that would undoubtedly go running into the cable when I'm trying to use it, and unplug it or drag the console to the ground. Or chew on the cable, and it's cheaper to replace a chewed charging cable than a whole controller.

In the days when a big TV was like 32 inches tops, short cables were fine because you'd be sitting a few feet away anyway. But with bigger TVs, there's going to be more distance between where you're sitting and the TV itself. And unless you're using long HDMI cables and putting the consoles near where you sit, wireless makes more sense.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i need 30ft worth of controller wiring all over my living room floor for everyone to trip on and potentially impale themselves on the fire poker

why would anyone do away with this, i dont get it

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
thinking about installing some extra heavy bookcases and shag carpet roughly the same black color as controller cabling. thoughts?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I guess I didn't realize that so many goons lived in monochrome infomercial segments. *Knocks over dock, Switch falls out and cleaves a small dog in half as it falls, front half of dog takes off running and knocks over a cup of grape juice that's on the floor for some reason*

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

if you literally can't understand the appeal of a wireless controller you are beyond help

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Statistics show that there's a greater chance of a trailing cord decapitating your entire family in their sleep and then setting fire to the house because malicious devils live specifically in controller cords than knocking over your dock causing blah blah blah, since we're apparently just trading in hyperbole now instead of actually discussing something.

Wireless controllers are popular for much the same reason people prefer remote controls over getting up and manually switching the channel when you decide to leave your infomercial world.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I use a cord extender attached to the console and hook up the other end to a breakout box installed on the wall. Then I installed controller ports all over the house, about five feet apart from one another, so I can connect a wired controller anywhere in the house. I do the same with electrical outlets all over my lovely house.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It is better when the controller is also the screen at the same time.

By which I mean I play handhelds.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

lol jesus

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i don't really get the appeal of wireless controllers either though because you can't use them to strangle your friends when they beat you in mario kart

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can with the wii remote and nunchuck

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Just bludgeon them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

You can with the wii remote and nunchuck

Nunchuck is a wired controller. Sorry, friend.

• Locked thread