Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone used the new XPS 13? Have read a few reviews but am wondering what others think. I plan to replace my aging desktop with a lightweight laptop - used for travelling, some work, also photo editing hooked up to a bigger monitor at home. I was thinking about the new MacBook Pro but can't say I'm a fan of that oled bar and the rumours of just USB ports. Plus, if I got the non-touch XPS I'd save money vs a MBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
XPS 13 is the one to beat at that size atm unless you absolutely need OSX for whatever reason.

I believe the plain jane 1080p option is matte as well. Its actually a decent panel and critically claws back a big chunk of battery life from the high rez option. If you're a road warrior this is the way to go.

Keyboard is adequate. I'm used to the spread of 15 inch models (using a haswell XPS 15 right now) and came from thinkpad keyboards (still the best) before that so ymmv.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

For video editing how important is quad core vs. dual cores? I am pretty sure 16GB + 512GB SSD is going to be the route on that end.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Atomizer posted:

It's still a solid choice for a $200-300 CB convertible with touchscreen and Android app support. The Asus CB Flip would be a similar, but smaller version. Just get one with 4 GB of RAM whatever you do.

Typing from one right now, pretty slick. The estimated battery life is like 12 hours at 95% and even though those are always optimistic, I'm pretty impressed. A dozen tabs, youtube, and netflix going at the same time hasn't seemed to slow it down much at all, either.

The only problem I had during the whole purchase process was having to go to Best Buy. I had a gift card from last Christmas that would cover pretty much the whole cost, so I sucked it up and went in. I wandered the entire store for like 15 minutes looking for someone who could sell me a laptop and there wasn't a single employee on the floor. I ended up grabbing someone that poked their head out of the storeroom and they disappeared for another 10 minutes to find someone with keys to open the cabinet with the laptops. :psyduck: What the gently caress.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

motherbox posted:

So unless one of the new Mac options that comes out today blows me out of the water, I’m planning on getting a 12-14 inch machine—ideally with the i7-7500U and with 256gb SSD. The two options that I’m really considering so far are one of the new Dell XPS 13s or the new Razer Blade Stealth. It looks like the price for models with the i7-7500U is more or less the same (~1250-1300) so I was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions based on:

--Screen quality (not going with the 4k display on either option)

--Keyboard/build quality (do either feel like a piece of junk?)

--Warranty support/ease of RMA (plan on purchasing manufacturer’s warranty, I hear Razer might be less-than-ideal with support)

If there are any other machines that are similar spec/price-wise that I haven’t considered and should, I’d appreciate the help.

I know two people with the new Razer Blade Stealth's and they both say the build quality is great and the keyboard feels really good, but yeah Razer isn't known for good CSR.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Seamonster posted:

XPS 13 is the one to beat at that size atm unless you absolutely need OSX for whatever reason.

I believe the plain jane 1080p option is matte as well. Its actually a decent panel and critically claws back a big chunk of battery life from the high rez option. If you're a road warrior this is the way to go.

Keyboard is adequate. I'm used to the spread of 15 inch models (using a haswell XPS 15 right now) and came from thinkpad keyboards (still the best) before that so ymmv.

What's the battery life like on the latest version of the XPS13 when it comes to browsing+Google sheets? My MacBook Pro Retina is a couple years ago and struggles to get 6 hours these days.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My father is in the market for a new business laptop. 14-15" and it needs to be pretty durable because it will be used in the field. Having Windows 7 Pro loaded via downgrade rights is strongly preferred over Win 10 (he has several older software applications that get progressively grumpier every new Windows version). Raw processing power and graphics are not a concern, battery life moderately so. $2k budget.

I was just going to point him at ~$1600 Thinkpad T460p w/ i5-6440HQ, 16GB of RAM, a 512 SATA SSD, and 2560 x 1440 IPS display, but wanted to check if the 1080p display might be a better choice with Win 7 and if any other manufacturer was making something that seemed to fit the bill for what he needs.

Edit: turns out he doesn't need Win 7. Win 10 is OK.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 28, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

New Macbook Pros were released today, the 13" and 15" both with the touch bar, which replaces the escape and power buttons with solid state technology. They also include four (4) USB-C ports, and no "old style" USB ports. So we're definitely moving in to the future now.

The 15" Macbook Pro is avalible with an ATI 450 Pro (AMD now?)

space marine todd posted:

What's the battery life like on the latest version of the XPS13 when it comes to browsing+Google sheets? My MacBook Pro Retina is a couple years ago and struggles to get 6 hours these days.

People were reliably getting 10+ real-world hours out of the old XPS 13 and they claimed 12; they're claiming 14 hours now. There was a massive jump in battery life towards the end of 2013 (haswell) and skylake/kaby trail keep improving on that.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I just got my Lenovo from Woot, and this thing is dope. I won't be breaking any land speed records, but it is 100% what I was looking for. Cheers, goons!

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I am trying to career switch to graphics programming (from web dev), but don't want to be cooped up at home 100% of the time when working. I'm not really interested in Gaming on it, but obviously the work I'd be doing would require some level of hardware performance to be useful to me. The new laptops with a Nvidia 1060 are p. expensive (~$2000 in Canada) and apparently have awful battery life (which is kind of a deal breaker if I'm paying that much), but I have no idea if that'll always be the case with cards with more powerful dedicated cards? If anything it seems like the 970 and 980 generation of laptops would be even worse with power draw? I know it seems like I'm asking the impossible but really I just need to be able to run more intensive 3D applications, but not at 1080p 60fps.

So yeah, what would be the optimal pick for something powerful enough for graphics programming (on Windows) but lasts longer than 3 hours and costs less than $2000 (CAD). Does this laptop even exist?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Dell XPS 15 comes with a decent GPU, if you can wait a few more weeks they're likely to release the Kaby Trail XPS 15 with nvidia 1040/1050 or (maybe, probably not) 1060

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Brownie posted:

I am trying to career switch to graphics programming (from web dev), but don't want to be cooped up at home 100% of the time when working. I'm not really interested in Gaming on it, but obviously the work I'd be doing would require some level of hardware performance to be useful to me. The new laptops with a Nvidia 1060 are p. expensive (~$2000 in Canada) and apparently have awful battery life (which is kind of a deal breaker if I'm paying that much), but I have no idea if that'll always be the case with cards with more powerful dedicated cards? If anything it seems like the 970 and 980 generation of laptops would be even worse with power draw? I know it seems like I'm asking the impossible but really I just need to be able to run more intensive 3D applications, but not at 1080p 60fps.

So yeah, what would be the optimal pick for something powerful enough for graphics programming (on Windows) but lasts longer than 3 hours and costs less than $2000 (CAD). Does this laptop even exist?

It almost certainly doesn't. Unless you're travelling to the United States soon and can pick something up stateside. Most 1060 laptops are going to go for around $1300-1800 USD, so even at the low end you're ramming into your $2000 CAD budget pretty quick. Even then, battery life is not going to be your friend.

In any event, make sure you look for a laptop with Optimus.

Is there no possible way you can deal with having a desktop?

Because the Dell XPS 15, while almost perfect for your needs, is also going to blow past your budget.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

anothergod posted:

For video editing how important is quad core vs. dual cores? I am pretty sure 16GB + 512GB SSD is going to be the route on that end.

Depends on if your application can take advantage of the extra cores, and the other differences between the specific 2C & 4C CPUs you're looking at. Just look for application-specific benchmarks from systems with the different CPUs you're considering.

Casu Marzu posted:

Typing from one right now, pretty slick. The estimated battery life is like 12 hours at 95% and even though those are always optimistic, I'm pretty impressed. A dozen tabs, youtube, and netflix going at the same time hasn't seemed to slow it down much at all, either.

The only problem I had during the whole purchase process was having to go to Best Buy. I had a gift card from last Christmas that would cover pretty much the whole cost, so I sucked it up and went in. I wandered the entire store for like 15 minutes looking for someone who could sell me a laptop and there wasn't a single employee on the floor. I ended up grabbing someone that poked their head out of the storeroom and they disappeared for another 10 minutes to find someone with keys to open the cabinet with the laptops. :psyduck: What the gently caress.

This is why I buy everything online now. I haven't been in a Best Buy in years.

Photex posted:

I know two people with the new Razer Blade Stealth's and they both say the build quality is great and the keyboard feels really good, but yeah Razer isn't known for good CSR.

A slightly-naive former co-worker bought the last-gen Stealth and brought it to work one day. It definitely felt nice all around, although it's expensive for what it is, an Ultrabook that can hardly play games itself without the expensive Core upgrade.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

My father is in the market for a new business laptop. 14-15" and it needs to be pretty durable because it will be used in the field. Having Windows 7 Pro loaded via downgrade rights is strongly preferred over Win 10 (he has several older software applications that get progressively grumpier every new Windows version). Raw processing power and graphics are not a concern, battery life moderately so. $2k budget.

I was just going to point him at ~$1600 Thinkpad T460p w/ i5-6440HQ, 16GB of RAM, a 512 SATA SSD, and 2560 x 1440 IPS display, but wanted to check if the 1080p display might be a better choice with Win 7 and if any other manufacturer was making something that seemed to fit the bill for what he needs.

I have a similar T460 except with the i5-6300U. I really would've preferred the i7, (this one is exactly as fast as a 6 y.o. sandy i7), but for general business use I think Quad core isn't worth it. The 1080p screen is supposedly IPS and didn't particularly impress me in terms of colors or black levels, but most importantly the resolution is just right to look sharp and be readable at 100% scaling. You can also get it with touch support and still be matte at which point it's suddenly not so terrible and is a neat gimmick if you need to highlight something on the presentation etc.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

I have a T460p w/ i5-6440HQ, 32GB RAM, and 512 SATA SSD (1080p display, though). Since I bought the SSD and RAM myself it ended up costing me a whole $1200.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yeah I suppose I should note that a significant chunk of the cost on the system is Office, Acrobat, and 3 year on-site service.

The most CPU intensive stuff he will be doing is GIS work using a rather old version of ArcGIS. He would likely get more out of upgrading that instead but lol that's $7k because ESRI has the sector on lockdown.

Thanks for the responses

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

The Iron Rose posted:

It almost certainly doesn't. Unless you're travelling to the United States soon and can pick something up stateside. Most 1060 laptops are going to go for around $1300-1800 USD, so even at the low end you're ramming into your $2000 CAD budget pretty quick. Even then, battery life is not going to be your friend.

In any event, make sure you look for a laptop with Optimus.

Is there no possible way you can deal with having a desktop?

Because the Dell XPS 15, while almost perfect for your needs, is also going to blow past your budget.

To be clear, I've actually got a desktop with great performance, but I just don't want to be chained to it while I'm learning this stuff. So paying $2000 when I've already got a perfectly good desktop at home makes me balk a little.

If such a laptop doesn't exist then I guess the XPS 15 is the next best choice? I will have to think about how much my mobility is worth to me... (and maybe wait for the refresh to come out).

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

Work is offering me a choice between a Surface Pro 4, and a Lenovo Yoga X1. The spec for both would be the same (i5, 8GB RAM, 256gb SSD).

I have a non-creative desk job, and it will be docked 95% of the time in the office (all day every day). I'll really only use it off-dock for very rare presentations, or if I want to take it to a meeting, or to work on at home (where I'll probably also dock) or with me on vacation. At the moment the I'm drawn to the portability of the SP4 even if I don't use it out and about much as I'll carry it home each day. The X1 I like because it has an LTE sim slot, and I already have an x260 thinkpad as a personal laptop, so I guess I can use the same power adaptor.

The fact it will spend most of its life docked means any shortcomings of actually using the thing will mostly be avoided, so that is why I'm thinking the portability of the SP4 (on rare occasions I carry it about) is better. Any opinions on which I should go for?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I wouldn't even consider a work laptop without WWAN - tethering is just so inconvenient compared to built in.

Aside from that the Surface has a crummy keyboard, but that's probably not going to be a huge issue for your usage.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Would the Yoga X1 have the oled screen, seems a good question.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can get the X1 with OLED screen as an option, but it's not the default

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Do Dell and Lenovo's outlet deals come with the same warranty as a brand new laptop? Any caveats warranty-wise?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hackaday did a great piece today on Macbooks vs. Thinkpads, bonus cameo by Chromebooks:

http://hackaday.com/2016/10/28/apple-sucks-now-heres-a-thinkpad-buyers-guide/

hackaday posted:

... so many meetups, attending so many hackathons, and chilling out at so many conferences gives us a unique insight into laptop buying trends. Overall, the Hackaday community is split 60:30 between MacBooks and ThinkPads, with the remainder being taken up by rooted Chromebooks or some truly terrible Black Friday specials.

TL;DR the x260, T460s are excellent laptops, as are the 2015/early 2016 era macbook pros

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

And I thought reddit had arguments in the comments lol.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hadlock posted:

You can get the X1 with OLED screen as an option, but it's not the default
Well, yeah. Would his employer pay for the upgrade, is the question. If they did, that'd make the X1 more attractive.

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

It won't have the oled screen, they are rolling this out to about 2000 of us, where we have to choose between one or the other, so beyond the basic specs we won't get upgrades. But, oled would probably be wasted on me given the fact it would be docked most of the time.

It just comes down to any major disadvantages when using away from the office. No LTE seems like it won't be great. I'm still drawn to the ultraportableness of the SP4 though...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Do Dell and Lenovo's outlet deals come with the same warranty as a brand new laptop? Any caveats warranty-wise?

?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I have only dealt with the Lenovo outlet, everything comes with a standard 1 year warranty. Warranty and replacements are handled just like everything else, Thinkpads/Thinkcentres get IBM support out of the USA(somewhere in Tennessee I believe), other stuff gets lenovo support(god help you). I haven't had any issues getting replacement parts or refunds on outlet thinkpads I have purchased.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im trying to find a laptop for my dad. He just browses facebook and watches netflix so specs are hardly a concern. I can just install a SSD so it feels fast in the areas that he will notice. 15" screen or larger is the size he likes

He breaks his laptop once year and its always physical damage like the hinge being bent too far or sitting on it and cracking the screen. He thinks hes being careful but the results say otherwise

I thought about the toughbook but even that doesn't seems to be enough.
The other option is to keep buying $300-400 refurbs off groupon and woot.

He has had a few nice $1000+ ultrabooks with metal exteriors but I stopped recommending them after the first 3 were obliterated

do any companies offer warranties on physical damage?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 30, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get accidental damage protection Thinkpads. I would just get him a 15" Chromebook. Acer makes one that's cheap and tell him to stop treating laptops like monster truck toys.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

get him a yoga so he can bend the screen back as far as he wants.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Finally deciding to bite the bullet on a new laptop with my latest paycheck - media consumption and light gaming is the order of the day. How do we feel about the Lenovo X1 Carbon?

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Spiritus Nox posted:

Finally deciding to bite the bullet on a new laptop with my latest paycheck - media consumption and light gaming is the order of the day. How do we feel about the Lenovo X1 Carbon?

Have you considered getting a chromebook and an xbone?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

EVIL NOONER posted:

Have you considered getting a chromebook and an xbone?

So that's a "nay."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the X1 Carbon but I wouldn't use it for gaming. It could handle maybe Team Fortress 2.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
is 'light gaming'' code for world of warcraft or something? its a very suspicious phrase imho.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

EVIL NOONER posted:

is 'light gaming'' code for world of warcraft or something? its a very suspicious phrase imho.

Indie games and Civ-esque stuff, mostly. I'd mostly be interested in things where a decent session could fit into a train ride or a lunch break at the park or something. I'm basically looking to replace an aging ipad with something with more versatility and storage space - though I'm willing to pay extra for a bit of extra power.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 30, 2016

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the options for a 32gb laptop are really depressing. other than a t460 or a 15" dell xps, what are my best options?

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

the talent deficit posted:

the options for a 32gb laptop are really depressing. other than a t460 or a 15" dell xps, what are my best options?

i would ask what you're going to be doing with it and also consider models that maybe dont come with 32 but are upgradeable to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

You can get accidental damage protection Thinkpads. I would just get him a 15" Chromebook. Acer makes one that's cheap and tell him to stop treating laptops like monster truck toys.

its been 7 laptops over 7 years, telling him to be careful hasnt worked yet.

Can you get accidental damage protection on a yoga? that might be the best option