Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

double nine posted:

You're forgetting the healing power of the Crusader - not that it ever amounts to much, it's on par with the arbalest basically.

Arbalest's heal is useful to have for two reasons: First, she has some really great +Heal trinkets unique to her (she has a +33% one) that ALSO affects her Camping Heal which can save a party from a run that's going bad in a jiffy. Second, the +Heal buff and the fact that her heal is extremely reliable helps her cover for her Good Buddy Occultist, who is her best friend forever. She provides a nice 'I absolutely can't afford to roll a 0 on this' backup option, plus the +Heal buff will turbocharge his healing if you really need to spend 2 actions trying to get someone back from a devastating crit or something (or just have a turn to burn).

Also, it's become a running joke with my friends that my adventurers are absolutely riddled with Syphilis. I have no idea how. Every adventure, someone comes back with that vile poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Arbalest's heal is useful to have for two reasons: First, she has some really great +Heal trinkets unique to her (she has a +33% one) that ALSO affects her Camping Heal which can save a party from a run that's going bad in a jiffy. Second, the +Heal buff and the fact that her heal is extremely reliable helps her cover for her Good Buddy Occultist, who is her best friend forever. She provides a nice 'I absolutely can't afford to roll a 0 on this' backup option, plus the +Heal buff will turbocharge his healing if you really need to spend 2 actions trying to get someone back from a devastating crit or something (or just have a turn to burn).

Also, it's become a running joke with my friends that my adventurers are absolutely riddled with Syphilis. I have no idea how. Every adventure, someone comes back with that vile poo poo.

Better than having 4 runs in where at least 2 people came back with the Red Plague. Every. time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

double nine posted:

You're forgetting the healing power of the Crusader - not that it ever amounts to much, it's on par with the arbalest basically.

The Crusader's heal is piddly, only good for getting someone off of death's door. the Arbalest's is way better; as gone over above, it synergizes super well with your actual healers, and if you're willing to dedicate a few turns she can pretty much fully heal someone by herself, especially if you gave her +healing trinkets.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Genocyber posted:

The Crusader's heal is piddly, only good for getting someone off of death's door. the Arbalest's is way better; as gone over above, it synergizes super well with your actual healers, and if you're willing to dedicate a few turns she can pretty much fully heal someone by herself, especially if you gave her +healing trinkets.

Along with the options stated above, the Crusader heal is useful if you have a single enemy left that is about to die from a DoT, stunned or you know will die to your other teammates before it gets a turn. You can get that little heal in and save a couple bites of food or something. On longer runs, that adds up.

Of course, that would require using a Crusader. Outside of Ruins runs and fights with the Drowned Crew, I'd rather use a Leper or Hellion.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Along with the options stated above, the Crusader heal is useful if you have a single enemy left that is about to die from a DoT, stunned or you know will die to your other teammates before it gets a turn. You can get that little heal in and save a couple bites of food or something. On longer runs, that adds up.

To add, if you do this with the stress heal you get (less) healing AND stress heal which is actually really nice.

quote:

Of course, that would require using a Crusader. Outside of Ruins runs and fights with the Drowned Crew, I'd rather use a Leper or Hellion.

I've actually been warming up to Crusaders more lately, mainly because they're great for dealing with my #1 nemesis the Ghoul.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I found this LP a while back and I'm finally caught up now! I just recently got into the game, and I wanted to let Highwang know that his first few videos were super helpful in getting me to not be a big idiot who gives his heroes heart attacks every other dungeon. Still, boy did I feel like an idiot when I saw him clown on the swine prince. I walked into that boss's trap so hard, I thought enraged destruction was its only attack.

The amount of guff that Chitlin gives Highwang is also great, despite the fact that my playstyle is pretty close to the latter's.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

double nine posted:

Best heal is the houndmaster's Lick Wounds, because you get to hug a good dog.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 26: OSHA Hazard

Today we polish off the Big Eight with the Prophet, and kinda showing off why I don't like relying on Dodge in any state.

I also gotta get that suggestion box email setup. Bwuh.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Getting rid of a key and then immediately scouting a secret room is something that's happened to me a few times. Needless to say I always make sure I have one key in all circumstances now. I don't know why you didn't go into the secret room anyway, since you can still open the chest and get a (lesser) reward. You probably wouldn't have run into another hunger event on the way there.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
So, if you debuff the Prophet, you lower the damage from the "gimmick". Since he technically only attacks once per round, you can easily keep a fully charged debuff on him and lower his damage to almost nothing. This lets you blow up the pews and then the Prophet if you so choose. This doesn't work so well in Champion since even his debuffed damage output is high enough to be worrisome. Yet another fight where the Occultist and the Arbalest team up to blow the difficultly curve out of the water.

Put me on the list of people who have dropped keys after getting a map only to see a secret area pop up. I could've really used that 7500 gold too...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's weird - highwang always camps before a boss, when dealing with a stress-heavy boss like this one (and the drowned crew) I will almost always camp after the fight for some good stress heal.

Also always drop shovels first if you've scouted first - they have no notable curios anywhere worth the effort

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 28, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

double nine posted:

It's weird - highwang always camps before a boss, when dealing with a stress-heavy boss like this one (and the drowned crew) I will almost always camp after the fight for some good stress heal.

I mainly do it for the buffs. Things like Restring Crossbow and Battle Trance can really break a fight if you prepare a cleansing as well like we've been doing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

I mainly do it for the buffs. Things like Restring Crossbow and Battle Trance can really break a fight if you prepare a cleansing as well like we've been doing.

when dealing with most of the bosses I agree - the two warrens & cove bosses, siren, necromancer - but with the prophet and drowned crew I favor the stress heal over the combat buffs

Also there are 18 pages for 4 short stories to be found. have fun ruining a lot of heroes going through book stacks and bookcases for those worthless scraps of paper

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 28, 2016

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I hope you're happy. I had no real interest in Darkest Dungeon, but I've watched every video up to the Shambler fight that went disastrously, and had the game on my wishlist for a while. Today it was 40% off for Halloween and I snatched it right up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

I hope you're happy. I had no real interest in Darkest Dungeon, but I've watched every video up to the Shambler fight that went disastrously, and had the game on my wishlist for a while. Today it was 40% off for Halloween and I snatched it right up.

Be wary, triumphant pride precipitates a dizzying fall.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I've pretty much learned all my tricks from this LP, and I'm down with camping before the boss fight too. Depending on your party loadout, it makes damage racing bosses almost too easy.

I'll admit that I fell into the AoE newbie trap too. While I'm sure AoE attacks do provide more damage per action on average, removing enemy actions is just so much more important. My buddy also informed me that AoE attacks only roll once for accuracy, so they tend to be very all-or-nothing which tilts the payoffs quite a bit. This is why I love barbaric yalp so much, though - it's basically a 2-for-1 on the action economy (2-for-1.25 if you count the debuff I guess)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

inthesto posted:

I've pretty much learned all my tricks from this LP, and I'm down with camping before the boss fight too. Depending on your party loadout, it makes damage racing bosses almost too easy.

I'll admit that I fell into the AoE newbie trap too. While I'm sure AoE attacks do provide more damage per action on average, removing enemy actions is just so much more important. My buddy also informed me that AoE attacks only roll once for accuracy, so they tend to be very all-or-nothing which tilts the payoffs quite a bit. This is why I love barbaric yalp so much, though - it's basically a 2-for-1 on the action economy (2-for-1.25 if you count the debuff I guess)

u sure on the accuracy? I've gotten several holy scrolls/harvests/flashing daggers where only one enemy got hit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

inthesto posted:

AoEs are really useful for 'I can finish off this wounded guy and set up this healthy guy to die to a single-target in one action.'

They are bad for everything else.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

double nine posted:

u sure on the accuracy? I've gotten several holy scrolls/harvests/flashing daggers where only one enemy got hit.

I believe you roll once on accuracy and then you check against each monster's dodge value, so you can get a hit and a miss on one attack if you have different effective accuracy rates on different targets

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

double nine posted:

Depends on the enemies you are attacking. Some of those enemies could have a higher base evasion than the one hit, so the attack was juuuust outside the range of hitting them.

Some AoEs have additional benefits that you should pay attention to in some party comps. For example, the Flashing Daggers lowers an enemies bleed resist on a successful debuff, and that attack hits the same bracket as Harvest, which happens to have a bleed effect on it. I don't usually use the Grave Robber and Jester together, but it is an effective team up.

However! Yes, 90% of the time you only use AoEs to clean up, not to start a fight.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what about crit chance? Does that also roll once?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Someday I should start a new game with the goal of killing the newbie Prophet with 4 Antiquarians. (Aliens who die if they put on a space suit?) and stacking their Guard Me prot buff for the stones.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ashsaber posted:

:same:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Ah, Highwang Inventory Management (or lack thereof) strikes again. Remember, kids, it's a comprehensive LP, not a competent one.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Ashsaber posted:

Today it was 40% off for Halloween and I snatched it right up.

double nine posted:

Be wary, triumphant pride precipitates a dizzying fall.
Sounds about right. :v: There's also another game on sale that kinda reminds me of Darkest Dungeon, probably just because of the bard doing the ancestor's job... and how callously it encourages you to treat your mooks.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Back when Darkest Dungeon had just hit Early Access AOE's were great skills and an easy way to play the game. Red Hook responded to that in their characteristic manner and now they are of mostly limited use if they aren't DoT

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

Back when Darkest Dungeon had just hit Early Access AOE's were great skills and an easy way to play the game. Red Hook responded to that in their characteristic manner and now they are of mostly limited use if they aren't DoT

The Occultist's is probably my favorite. It just combos so well with other, higher damage dealing backrow hitters; usually does just enough damage to let them finish the enemy off.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Today it was 40% off for Halloween and I snatched it right up.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been waiting for this to go on sale.

Now to start the Lucien Memorial run.

(Everyone dies, necessitating a dozen more memorial runs)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I guess you could say that the ayes really had it with that...

No, that's rubbish.

Uh, you really crossed the ts and dotted the...

No, that doesn't work either.

Beware the ides...

Hmm.

sulovilen
May 6, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

Same here. :yeah:

LocalJho
May 4, 2015

sulovilen posted:

Same here. :yeah:

Yep, you've sold another, today.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Still with the throwing away of food you could've easily eaten... Ah well, I can't stay mad at you any longer. You're clearly only hurting yourself, here, after all. And Sjonkel, Logical Fallacy, Bouken Jima, Aerdan and whoever else you bring on future adventures... so Kaboom Dragoon should be sitting pretty safe!

So, just to clarify, we aren't going to witness you suffer through an endless series of more-or-less alike veteran and champion dungeons while you build up at all the necessary champion-tier adventurers? You and Iron Chitlin aren't going to run out of things to say about a third of the way through and resort to lecturing us about the Cthulhu mythos, or do live readings of the Pnakotic Manuscripts in an attempt to drive us all insane? Weak. I thought this was a comprehensive Let's Play, Highwang! :argh:

(It's fine; mid-game is a harsh teacher and a big slog, but you might want to record your runs in case of hilarious hijinks and key happenings (i.e. deaths) that you'd want to show off. Maybe a best-of/worst of moments reel if you have way too much free time your editing chops are up to snuff.)

Now, you missing out on that secret treasure room wasn't a great moment of schadenfreude just because of the way you went about ignoring the still-significant reward opening the chest without a key gives you. No, it's because you opted to keep the comparatively useless holy waters, the entirely useless shovels and the potentially unnecessary torches when you threw away that key. Successful item management is one of the more valuable lessons for Medium and Long runs in terms of maximizing your profits!

I tend to throw keys away absolutely last in non-Short runs, especially if I'm hard up for cash. Throwing away a minor useless trinket that can be sold for 750 gold for the off-chance of getting 10 times the money is a risk-reward investment that can really pay off. Hell, I'd even sacrifice 1x stack of gold or an un-full stack of low-tier gems, given that the chance of stumbling across a treasure room, especially with +scouting camp skills on, is surprisingly high (base chance of scouting is, like, 25 % and can be increased through quirks, camp skills and full light). There's a limit to how much I'm willing to throw away, but when there's at least a few curio interactions and battles left, which will allow you to re-stock up on treasure with in the event nothing surfaces, just chucking some lesser valuables and keeping a key handy until closer to the run's end isn't going to end up being a big loss.

By the way, will we be able to suggest trinket setups as well as party setups? I have at least one gimmick build that relies heavy on certain trinkets, see. And will we be able to influence the setup of skills for the chosen party compositions? I'm not talking forcing you to only pick and use those skills (although, if you're up to it...), but more 'hey, try out this particular variant skill build if you want to'.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 29, 2016

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

LocalJho posted:

And another.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Ashsaber posted:

LocalJho posted:

Waiting on my Employee of the Month statue from Red Hook Studios.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Highwang posted:

Please film yourself throwing out your entire pantry to make room for it

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

given red hook's rather sadistic sense of humor - are you sure you want them to reward you?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I was going to write another chapter in The Book Of gently caress This poo poo (by K. Dragoon), but I was just gifted a copy of the game.

That's good, but not the reason I'm posting. This was my second run after the tutorial, all of about 45 minutes gameplay total. Bet you wish you'd taken me on a few more runs now, huh?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I was going to write another chapter in The Book Of gently caress This poo poo (by K. Dragoon), but I was just gifted a copy of the game.

That's good, but not the reason I'm posting. This was my second run after the tutorial, all of about 45 minutes gameplay total. Bet you wish you'd taken me on a few more runs now, huh?

in before tpk

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Oh, you better believe I got the gently caress out of dodge when I saw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If you run away from a quest, do you get to keep your loot?

• Locked thread