Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

imagine how much it would suck if you had to carry like 3 or 4 of those dongles in yr bag on the reg because you bought a fashion accessory that doesn't have the necessary ports to be useful as a computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
one day when i put together my live music performance act I swear to god it's going to be on a computer inside an old beige box case

gently caress every apple logo lighting up every stage in the history of ever

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I made the mistake of looking at comments on a Verge article and one guy said a max of 16 gigs of RAM was fine because he personally had worked on some very complex web apps and never needed anything more than that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
16gb of ram is fine for my personal pc but yes to call it pro is obviously just marketing, I routinely need 256gb 12 core machines at work to run a simulation and I am sure there are other things that require more. no one expects a laptop to have that tho, laptops are for email and spreadsheets and a vnc/ssh terminal attached to a real computer.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

apple does not give a gently caress about graphics performance. this probably lets them hit their battery life and "not burning your lap on the all-ooo-mee-nniiii-uumm" targets

the problem is that apple doesn't seem to understand that for a lot of pros their laptops are really just portable desktops that are almost always plugged in when in use.

which makes ditching magsafe, a legitimately useful and clever invention, on a "pro" laptop pretty dumb.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Just get more dongles duh

https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
it's cool when there's no artist pictures on an apple algorithm curated playlist, but instead non vectorised microphone images. thapple

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Linguica posted:

is AppleCare for a mbp worth it if it's just a personal machine

I mean statistically I'm sure the expected value is less than the purchase price but still
as a rule of thumb for me, i get the laptop plans if it's my sole computer and i use it for school, college or whatever

sometimes, a laptop can be in for repairs for like two or three weeks depending on the manufacturer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ufarn posted:

as a rule of thumb for me, i get the laptop plans if it's my sole computer and i use it for school, college or whatever

sometimes, a laptop can be in for repairs for like two or three weeks depending on the manufacturer

yeah, but why wouldn't you have a real computer (desktop pc, dual booting windows and osx) to fall back on?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

triple sulk posted:

Late-2016 MacBook Pro models vary slightly in the data speeds they provide to each Thunderbolt 3 port.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016) delivers full Thunderbolt 3 performance on all four ports.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) supports Thunderbolt 3 at full performance using the two left-hand ports. The two right-hand ports deliver Thunderbolt 3 functionality, but have reduced PCI Express bandwidth.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) delivers full Thunderbolt 3 performance on both ports.

Simple!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

triple sulk posted:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports for Workgroups)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted:

Late-2016 MacBook Pro models vary slightly in the data speeds they provide to each Thunderbolt 3 port.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016) delivers full Thunderbolt 3 performance on all four ports.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) supports Thunderbolt 3 at full performance using the two left-hand ports. The two right-hand ports deliver Thunderbolt 3 functionality, but have reduced PCI Express bandwidth.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) delivers full Thunderbolt 3 performance on both ports.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Linguica posted:

I mean statistically I'm sure the expected value is less than the purchase price but still

it used to be a lot more useful when their stuff had more moving parts imo

my first laptop i used it 3 times because the hdd, cd drive, and battery broke (and when they hdd died they replaced it with a larger one, must not have had the small ones around at the time)

this one not so much

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

lol wtf

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Linguica posted:

i would go for the AppleCare because of the screen

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

or they don't want to admit that the giant sized iPad Pro should have never been made.

as an artist I will speak for all the others that are using the living hell out of our giant iPad pro and apple pencil combos constantly to reply: lol wrong

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Doc Block posted:

which makes ditching magsafe, a legitimately useful and clever invention, on a "pro" laptop pretty dumb.

does this mean apple will sit on the patent until it dies of huffing its own farts and the magsafe is now lost technology?

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

you have to use swap if you leave Xcode open for more than 15 minutes

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

as an artist I will speak for all the others that are using the living hell out of our giant iPad pro and apple pencil combos constantly to reply: lol wrong

yea internet people complain a lot about iPad sizes. same people complained about the mini, but my wife loves hers because it fits in her purse and is light

and the pro is awesome for music. i love my big gay ipad

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the mini is actually the only good iPad for normal people

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

does this mean apple will sit on the patent until it dies of huffing its own farts and the magsafe is now lost technology?

https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

you know patents only last like 18 years right

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

i should have guessed there's a dongle for it

computer parts posted:

you know patents only last like 18 years right

wasn't it like 20 years? i don't know anything about tech patents

e: misread 18 as 10, but yeah i have no idea when magsafe was patented

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

coworker has a 32gb in his imac and he still has memory issues with xcode

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i should have guessed there's a dongle for it

wasn't it like 20 years? i don't know anything about tech patents

e: misread 18 as 10, but yeah i have no idea when magsafe was patented

https://www.google.com/patents/US7311526

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

there's a limited number of pcie lanes coming out of the cpu to be used for thunderbolt. apparently not enough for full speed on all four ports. same as how not all of the pcie slots on your mobo are 16x.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lord funk posted:

yea internet people complain a lot about iPad sizes. same people complained about the mini, but my wife loves hers because it fits in her purse and is light

and the pro is awesome for music. i love my big gay ipad

the sunk cost fallacy is real, people

whether you like it or not, or whether you believe it or not the ipad mini and maxi destroyed the ipad brand and steve knew they would

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i would go for the AppleCare because of the screen
i was under the impression that dropping your poo poo was not covered by Applecare.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Linguica posted:

i was under the impression that dropping your poo poo was not covered by Applecare.

you get a discount if you break it iirc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idg why people are always harping on the weak video cards, basically everything that isn't commercial/movie level 3D rendering or AAA game development happens in realtime now and the other 95% of "creative professional" work done with computers won't benefit by better 3D performance

the switch to ssds has made a much bigger difference

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

qirex posted:

the switch to ssds has made a much bigger difference

please dont flash the stymie-signal

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my favorite tech journalism meme right now is "the new macbook pro needs a touch screen"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
asked our mac tech at work what he thought of the new macbokks, and he is unhappy with apple's direction

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's clearly what apple secretly wants to do, what with increasing the tragic macpad to mega size and adding the touch strip

they just don't want to admit that the surface model actually works and someone beat them to it

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

touch screens are horrible on laptops and desktops hth

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

idea: take that big rectangular glass touchpad on every macbook... and put a screen in it :eek:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

that's clearly what apple secretly wants to do, what with increasing the tragic macpad to mega size and adding the touch strip

they just don't want to admit that the surface model actually works and someone beat them to it

it doesn't work. to the extent that it's been successful it's because it's a cheap but functional windows laptop that everyone attaches a keyboard and mouse to use

it's cheap mostly because both microsoft and intel are subsidizing the hell out of it. also because people don't count the cost of the mandatory accessories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

or u could use wireless headphones

• Locked thread