Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't like the trend of open world platformers just having lots of useless or semi-useless stuff to collect spread across wide areas that aren't necessarily all that distinct from one another, and I hope that yooka-laylee is a good return to the collectathon format with a nicely sized open world with lots of interesting things to do without feeling too large or cumbersome to navigate :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The best 3D platformer is Mario Galaxy. 2 might be better but I haven't played it yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

The best 3D platformer is Mario Galaxy. 2 might be better but I haven't played it yet.
2 has better level design but p. much everything surrounding the levels (the interface, the layout of the map, the bonus content, etc) is worse

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have never gotten to play them but they looked like a lot of fun and the music I've heard is really good!!

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

FirstAidKite posted:

I have never gotten to play them but they looked like a lot of fun and the music I've heard is really good!!

The Puzzle Plank Galaxy music is one of my favorite video game tracks ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oaf2gUhy74o

Every 3D Mario game is my favorite 3D platformer. They all have something unique that makes it really hard for me to single out one as the best.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

2 has better level design but p. much everything surrounding the levels (the interface, the layout of the map, the bonus content, etc) is worse

I like the 2 world map better and the 120 extra stars were 100x better than playing through the entire game again with slightly tweaked physics

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Both Mario Galaxies are amazing and trying to decide which one is better is an impossible task for me, so I just consolidate them into one when I talk about them

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

codenameFANGIO posted:

Pretty much yeah. I haven't gotten around to 2 or 3D World but Galaxy is the only 3D platformers that I felt captured the difficulty of old school platformers while also doing its own very cool thing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Pretty much yeah. I haven't gotten around to 2 or 3D World but Galaxy is the only 3D platformers that I felt captured the difficulty of old school platformers while also doing its own very cool thing.

You should get around to 2 and 3D World because then you'll have three that do that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Both Mario Galaxies are amazing and trying to decide which one is better is an impossible task for me, so I just consolidate them into one when I talk about them

agreed. i am ready for a revisit to the older sunshine structure like the switch trailer showed if they can pull it off with more polish than back in 2001 but the galaxy games will be tough to top

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I'm excited for call of duty 4

I guess the space shooter stuff will be okay too

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My favourite thing about Smash Brothers WiiU is the ability to sit in the menu and listen to all the music. I'm a huge fan of video game music.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kirby Superscare! posted:

My favourite thing about Smash Brothers WiiU is the ability to sit in the menu and listen to all the music. I'm a huge fan of video game music.

:yeah:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What about playing the game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

What about playing the game

I am very bad at it but I can beat the CPU on easy most of the time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FirstAidKite is going to be the guy with a thing he can fly and use to heal people.

I tried to model CJacobs after the Plain Doll, and it didn't really work out.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 29, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am excited to go to alien war and die for my planet

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm pleased with Lurdiak.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My best friend put me in his Xcom game and he said I was the luckiest soldier who didn't die throughout the whole campaign. I kept getting criticals and having near deaths then resting, then getting out there and killing three aliens at a time. It made me feel quite badass.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i want to be xcom. put "aliens?? no, thanks" on my flag or something

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

this Brazilian sniper I had in the first xcom game had something crazy like 70 kills. might have been upwards of 100 since she survived every mission

she then sacrificed herself at the ending, she was essentially the protagonist

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

i want to be xcom. put "aliens?? no, thanks" on my flag or something

Ok!!! Give me your two favorite colors.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ok!!! Give me your two favorite colors.

Can I be on the backup squad? Orange and Yellow!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Can I be on the backup squad? Orange and Yellow!

I'm only going to give out names to non-rookies, but you are on the list sure

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oddium will march into battle bearing the reds of her av I guess, until she wants to change it

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oddium will march into battle bearing the reds of her av I guess, until she wants to change it

I would love to be a soldier

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would also like to be in xcom. I played XCOM1 in the run up to the 2012 election and would reload any time Colonel Obama was killed

I wanted to do the same with XCOM2 on PS4 but I'm buying too many video games

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

They'll never see you coming.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lizard Wizard posted:

molto bene 😘👌

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

They'll never see you coming.

I am in utter love with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

codenameFANGIO posted:

2 is not better but it is a worthy sequel for sure.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I loved what 3D Land and World did with the "this is like running through a 2D straight-line level, but in 3D" design but it would be kinda neat to see Sunshine-type levels again I guess

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I watched a few XCOM playthroughs on YouTube, and YouTubers like using their Patreon backers or whatever as soldiers, so it always ends up being armies of bearded white dudes with glasses

As a bearded white dude with glasses, I would like to be in you XCOM game too, LW

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

2 is not better but it is a worthy sequel for sure.

The disc ID of 2 is super fitting, it's "Super Mario Galaxy More"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Smash bros is fun and video game music is fun sometimes too

I hope the next smash bros has more characters from my ideal character roster tho!!!

Lizard Wizard posted:

FirstAidKite is going to be the guy with a thing he can fly and use to heal people.

F yeah can't wait to get out there and be a useless piece of poo poo and die >:]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm pleased with Lurdiak.

Aw yeah, I'm Lemmy!

Lizard Wizard posted:

The disc ID of 2 is super fitting, it's "Super Mario Galaxy More"

Ha! Yeah, it's like a gigantic expansion.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Smash bros is fun and video game music is fun sometimes too

I hope the next smash bros has more characters from my ideal character roster tho!!!

who you missing, friend

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

don't say k rool

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

do me next~!

I am in utter love with it.

your man looks rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Goddammit XCOM if you want me to be able to rescue this VIP you need to give me more turns.

• Locked thread