Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

a bone to pick posted:

This describes Rey's character perfectly, hence why she's a Mary Sue.

Or a "Ma-Rey" Sue, if you prefer. If she turns out to be a bastard kid of Han's she can be a "Ma-Rey Sue-lo". That's the real reason Han and Leia broke up, Han's cheated on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she learns fast and is good at stuff but it can be explained because of poo poo in the movie and context clues and poo poo.

She knew how to do jedi mind tricks when a minute earlier she didn't know the jedi were real.

Yep she "learns fast."

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah. mary sue is more "A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment". poo poo like twilight is mary sue stuff.

Like Neil Breen or Geteven

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Archaic posted:

Like Neil Breen or Geteven

The difference is that Neil Breen is perfect :smug:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So who is the author or writer that sees Rey as a self-insert or wish fulfillment?

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

KakerMix posted:

So who is the author or writer that sees Rey as a self-insert or wish fulfillment?

Lawrence Kasdan. He's a trans-20-something-British-woman irl.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
gently caress star war

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

She's literally just Luke Skywalker but a girl instead of a boy, they're both Mary Sues but Luke was the self-insert originally.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'd insert self in Rey, if you know what I mean.

I mean I can empathise with the character very well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Jedi are pretty much going into Mary Sue territory in general anyway. Oh they are cool swordfighters and they can move things with their mind and they can do mild mind control and also they are all apparently badass pilots too and space cops while simultaneously being important members of a mysterious organization that's lasted for centuries and oh also they can never love so they are always conflicted blah blah it's the same poo poo. It's just part of the setting.

Then you got fuckin Kyle Katarn making em all look like idiots while simultaneously having even more skills and yet being more likable.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Jedi are pretty much going into Mary Sue territory in general anyway. Oh they are cool swordfighters and they can move things with their mind and they can do mild mind control and also they are all apparently badass pilots too and space cops while simultaneously being important members of a mysterious organization that's lasted for centuries and oh also they can never love so they are always conflicted blah blah it's the same poo poo. It's just part of the setting.

Then you got fuckin Kyle Katarn making em all look like idiots while simultaneously having even more skills and yet being more likable.

One thing to consider though is that when the series began it seems like somebody was around to say "hey people don't just learn stuff without someone at least telling them a bit about it" and now that the series is very popular and makes a lot of money it seems somehow they can't afford to keep paying that person.

a shame.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Maybe episode 2 will have Rey hooked up to an ancient Jedi teaching machine, she'll wake up and say "I know Kung Fu Jedi skills!" and Luke will say "show me" and there will be some cool fight.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
she just had high levels of midichlorians in her blood, that's all

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Light Gun Man posted:

what the heck is a kyle katarm

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Trunko posted:

what the heck is a kyle katarm

He's the dude from most of the good Star Wars video games.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
remember that disney mandated that anything that didn't happen in the movies i sn ot canon. to facilitate proper discourse itt, please do not refer to the extended universe or vidja in the future

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DoctorStrangelove posted:

He's the dude from most of the good Star Wars video games.

But Kreia was female

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LordArgh posted:

remember that disney mandated that anything that didn't happen in the movies i sn ot canon. to facilitate proper discourse itt, please do not refer to the extended universe or vidja in the future

No, canon includes all the new Marvel Star Wars comics, all of the novels published after a certain date, and that CGI cartoon show

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe episode 2 will have Rey hooked up to an ancient Jedi teaching machine, she'll wake up and say "I know Kung Fu Jedi skills!" and Luke will say "show me" and there will be some cool fight.

nah episode 2 will have jedis hacking into the AT-walkers thingies and repel waves after waves of tie fighters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I liked it when Jedi were just really wise and had a bit of magic to help them but mostly just got stuff done like a normal person. Obiwan was in the first movie was perfect. Vader was just an imposing guy that could sometimes force-choke people and being able to do that was a crazy power. At the height of Luke's powers he was good with a light saber but still had to be quite careful in fights, there still felt like there were stakes, that a random dude with a blaster could still get the better of him and he still needed to be quite wary about being outnumbered or cornered. Jedi powers were a nice extra to have on top of all your training.

Then they just became unstoppable anime characters that could casually take on an army solo and now they don't even need any training, they're just x-men. Movies just have to keep ramping everything up, I wish they'd realize that in so many cases less is more and when your main character feels like an invincible super hero it makes every fight scene boring as gently caress. I'll take ben and vader's chill light saber duel over people flipping and jumping like a cheesy chinese kung fu movie any day. This is also why The Hobbit was total poo poo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What about that one video game where a super badass dark Jedi just loving RIPPPPPS a star destroyer through the atmosphere and makes it crash into a planet? gently caress that's so badass, gently caress!!!!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
from now on a mary sue is a person who uses the term mary sue to critique movies

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 29, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Baronjutter posted:

I liked it when Jedi were just really wise and had a bit of magic to help them but mostly just got stuff done like a normal person. Obiwan was in the first movie was perfect. Vader was just an imposing guy that could sometimes force-choke people and being able to do that was a crazy power. At the height of Luke's powers he was good with a light saber but still had to be quite careful in fights, there still felt like there were stakes, that a random dude with a blaster could still get the better of him and he still needed to be quite wary about being outnumbered or cornered. Jedi powers were a nice extra to have on top of all your training.

Then they just became unstoppable anime characters that could casually take on an army solo and now they don't even need any training, they're just x-men. Movies just have to keep ramping everything up, I wish they'd realize that in so many cases less is more and when your main character feels like an invincible super hero it makes every fight scene boring as gently caress. I'll take ben and vader's chill light saber duel over people flipping and jumping like a cheesy chinese kung fu movie any day. This is also why The Hobbit was total poo poo.

Luke could lift a spaceship with force.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paladinus posted:

Very poorly and it was a huge deal, and even yoda had to sit and focus and lift it slowly. Not something you'd just do on the fly in the middle of fighting.
Vader ripping poo poo off the wall and pummeling luke during their fight was cool too. But it all still felt a little more grounded. I just hate super hero movies and over the top action, it ends up cheapening everything, you just grow numb to it and none of it feels impressive.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Paladinus posted:

And even luke didn't think he could do that poo poo. Weird that this was any kind of surprise to him in a universe where entire star destroyers got crashed into planets and poo poo but there ya go.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

monster on a stick posted:

But Kreia was female
KOTR2 is great if buggy (Obsidiangame.txt) because Chris Avellone hated the concept of Star Wars

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

reignofevil posted:

And even luke didn't think he could do that poo poo. Weird that this was any kind of surprise to him in a universe where entire star destroyers got crashed into planets and poo poo but there ya go.

Luke skipped all history classes to hang out at Tosche Station.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

achillesforever6 posted:

KOTR2 is great if buggy (Obsidiangame.txt) because Chris Avellone hated the concept of Star Wars

The best starwars stuff was done by people who didn't like starwars. Like the xwing and Tie fighter series were done by some people who wanted to do their own space fligth sim but got stuck with the star wars license.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Paladinus posted:

He didn't do it to solve problems.

achillesforever6 posted:

Sometimes, people who hate something really understand it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

temple posted:

He didn't do it to solve problems.

The problem was that his ship was stuck in a swamp.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paladinus posted:

The problem was that his ship was stuck in a swamp.

This is why you fail.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I guess it was also about self-discovery and spiritual journey. But he also really needed to get that ship out of the bog.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Iirc doesn't Yoda actually lift the ship for him anyway because he isn't good enough/whatever?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

reignofevil posted:

Iirc doesn't Yoda actually lift the ship for him anyway because he isn't good enough/whatever?

quote:

Days later, while training, Luke becomes distracted when he finds that his X-wing fighter has almost completely submerged into the swamp. Luke declares he will never be able to get the ship out, seeing that it is too big for him to extract from the water. Yoda says it is "no different, only different in your mind." Luke says he'll "try" to lift the ship, but Yoda says "No! Do or do not, there is no try." Luke tries to use the Force, but to no avail. Yoda reminds him that "size matters not" and gives him wisdom about the Force. Luke denies all of this, then Yoda decides to use the Force to lift the ship out himself. Luke is dumbfounded and incredulous. Yoda senses the youngster's failures within his mind.
beep boop jedis are psychic warmachines

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

temple posted:

beep boop jedis are psychic warmachines

They will be rebranded as "Force Patriots".

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
See and its good there because we had a protagonist who was more humanized and easier to sympathize with as an audience because it turns out using your magic bullshit powers to fix all your problems is kind of hard.

I guess I am just saying I wish episode 7 was more fleshed out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now that they're done with Space Cop and the Plinkett review, we can expect new content at a faster rate, right?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Now that they're done with Space Cop and the Plinkett review, we can expect new content at a faster rate, right?

They're not done being hack frauds yet, so probably not.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
theyre a bunch of fat millennial film school dorks who couldn't make it in the real industry so they accidentally became popular on youtube instead, a medium they actively despis, but have to deal with because its the only way they can make money

every waking moment is torment for these men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Good.:colbert:

• Locked thread