Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

socialsecurity posted:

My AI friend offered me a bunch of money to declare a joint war, the next turn he denounced me as a warmonger, the turn after that he declared war on me, taking a break from this.

The AI is absolute dogshit. If you don't have friends to play against don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
What is the key to focus on the selected unit? Please tell me there is a key and it's just not listed in the menu. I know it sure isn't C that I keep hitting out of habit.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Holy loving christ people weren't joking when they said Scythia was OP. I didn't realize how much gold units were sold for. Yeah there is no way this won't be patched.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Could someone please do a Norway domination victory with mounted units only and call it the Norse horse murder force tia

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Could someone please do a Norway domination victory with mounted units only and call it the Norse horse murder force tia

http://imgur.com/a/lYnST

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Is this the "murder based economy" I've heard about, where commerce is so poor that you just have to keep conquering and pillaging to prevent yourself falling into debt?

I'm not familiar with Civ 4 but I've seen lots of talk about it and that's my favorite anecdote :allears:

I never had to resort to that, I mostly knew when to stop expanding and focus on building up my economy.

Or build a wonder just to get a Great Merchant, poo poo out his thousands of gold and run 100% ultra-science for a few dozen turns. poo poo could get crazy.

Like the super-Oracle slingshot that abuses Great Scientists and teching in a particular order so that your Great Scientist will tech Paper, letting you research Education with the Oracle and hitting the Renaissance before 1AD.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Holy loving christ people weren't joking when they said Scythia was OP. I didn't realize how much gold units were sold for. Yeah there is no way this won't be patched.

Current exchange rate: my horse for a kingdom

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Why do all my spies have stripper names?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Does the AI get some ridiculous boost to great people points on higher levels? I'm playing on Emperor and have yet to be able to start a religion because all the great prophets are gone before I'm even close.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Double Bill posted:

Does the AI get some ridiculous boost to great people points on higher levels? I'm playing on Emperor and have yet to be able to start a religion because all the great prophets are gone before I'm even close.

The AI gets two settlers on Emp so they can pump out 2 holy sites ASAP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

prefect posted:

On a related subject, what's a good standard peacetime army size? I used to have a defensive unit and an offensive unit in each city, but you can't stack any more, so I'm not sure what to do. :downs:

I find an archer in the city center is pretty good if you give them the garrison promotion.

If you have any important districts you can garrison them in there too and they'll get the bonus toughness as well, the garrison promotion works in any district including the city center.

That's about it as far as punching well above your weight goes, you can add more units but ranged units garrisoned in districts is basically top tier bang for your buck.

If you want to you can take the policy that gives you an amenity for it too.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Two AIs declared a joint war against me and 5 turns later my capitol is war weary to the tune of -6 amenities. Is there anything I can do to rectify this? I can't fight a war on two fronts and also deal with knights spawning behind my lines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weirdly I had a game with Gorgo and Qin on the same continent as me.

When i saw Gorgo's agenda I assumed I was loving in for it as she looked like Shaka 2.0.

So yeah she declares a joint war on me with China, I turtle up and hold them both off, I sue China for peace after wiping out their army and get a bunch of free stuff for it, standard fare, but Gorgo of course won't do that, she keeps trying to kill me, raises another army, I beat that one up and she finally accepts white peace.

Then immediately afterwards she decides she really loving likes me because I "conducted a long war honorably" and that she loving hates China for giving me stuff to stop killing them. So we become constant allies and friends for the rest of the game while she tries to slowly murder China and China bitches at me for stealing his wonders.

So yeah, Gorgo I apparently really like, she will try to kill you, but if you don't die she will be your best bud.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Current exchange rate: my horse for a kingdom

:golfclap:

It's hard for me to not play Scythia. Anyone else I just think man I could have so much more gold.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Has anybody else noticed that Gilgamesh's units get XP just for being near battles where Gilgamesh is not at war with at least one of the fighting units? You don't have to be in an official joint war with someone, or even at war with anyone. Just park your units near a warzone and watch them gain XP.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 29, 2016

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

OwlFancier posted:

When i saw Gorgo's agenda I assumed I was loving in for it as she looked like Shaka 2.0.

So yeah she declares a joint war on me with China, I turtle up and hold them both off, I sue China for peace after wiping out their army and get a bunch of free stuff for it, standard fare, but Gorgo of course won't do that, she keeps trying to kill me, raises another army, I beat that one up and she finally accepts white peace.

Then immediately afterwards she decides she really loving likes me because I "conducted a long war honorably" and that she loving hates China for giving me stuff to stop killing them. So we become constant allies and friends for the rest of the game while she tries to slowly murder China and China bitches at me for stealing his wonders.

So yeah, Gorgo I apparently really like, she will try to kill you, but if you don't die she will be your best bud.

See, that's the good kind of whacky diplomacy. I'm totally down with stuff like that, and agendas can enable that.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Is there a way to swap the position of adjacent units using only the tiles they are on?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

comedyblissoption posted:

Is there a way to swap the position of adjacent units using only the tiles they are on?

Yes, you click on one unit then right-click on the unit you want it to change places with. I'm sure you tried this already, but the secret is to realize that it only works when the game feels like it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

eXXon posted:

I had it in fullscreen but not anymore.

Besides the crap UI, the AI is just so godawful. Ancient era balance is messed up too. You can poo poo out warriors and archers and go after a civ easily even on Emperor (where they start with 2 settlers and 3 warriors, wtf?). I did this just now and stomped an enemy AI with a better army because their response to being attacked was to run away, leave their cities undefended and never fight back.

In the meantime, Scythia backstabbed me and surrounded my capital. Now it's under siege. I have two units there - a warrior and archer - and nowhere to move them because all 6 surrounding hexes are occupied, so I can't end the turn. Good job with that.

Yes you can. Delete one.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Jesus, thanks for all the poo poo Rome/Barbs

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Classic Rome!

(Rome's AI leans toward risky forward settles and pushes out lots of settlers without always guarding them. It's arising that sometime ends up like that)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Geight posted:

See, that's the good kind of whacky diplomacy. I'm totally down with stuff like that, and agendas can enable that.

Agreed, even though it is weird that the supposedly warlike aggressive civilizations (Gorgo, Tomyris, etc) always end up being my best friends because all of the supposedly peaceful civilizations constantly surprise attack me because they picked autocracy and I didn't.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The Human Crouton posted:

Has anybody else noticed that Gilgamesh's units get XP just for being near battles where Gilgamesh is not at war with at least one of the fighting units? You don't have to be in an official joint war with someone, or even at war with anyone. Just park your units near a warzone and watch them gain XP.

I think it also works with barbarians.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
i wish the AI wouldn't give you poo poo for being ahead of them in government. Like if you are a monarchy and im a democracy how about instead of having them hate me just have them dislike it by like 1 point and say its because they mistrust my strange ways or some bullshit. I shouldn't have to hold myself back from the policy slots I need just because some bumfuck whose never heard of voting might not like it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

nimby posted:

I think it also works with barbarians.

I'm pretty sure it does, yes. Although I'm assuming you can't be at war with the civilization fighting the barbarians to get the XP.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Cleopatha is like this too. She joined in a war against me with Sumeria. I raised a army to fight Sumeria off and kill them. Egypt refused to stop until I killed enough of her units. After that she was super happy with me and was my ally until Kongo killed her.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

reignofevil posted:

i wish the AI wouldn't give you poo poo for being ahead of them in government. Like if you are a monarchy and im a democracy how about instead of having them hate me just have them dislike it by like 1 point and say its because they mistrust my strange ways or some bullshit. I shouldn't have to hold myself back from the policy slots I need just because some bumfuck whose never heard of voting might not like it.

-France, 1793

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 30, 2016

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Don't curtail any of your plans to try and buddy up to the AI. Diplomacy is completely hosed right now. Treat the AI as random events instead of anything you can actually work with or plan around, at least until they do some patching.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean you totally can appeal to the ai with some effort, but it's not like it's actually that beneficial.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Wait are Mbanza's bugged or am I supposed to be able to build as many as I have rain/forest tiles? It seems kind of broken to be able to give each city +10-20 housing in the late classical/renaissance.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

uPen posted:

Wait are Mbanza's bugged or am I supposed to be able to build as many as I have rain/forest tiles? It seems kind of broken to be able to give each city +10-20 housing in the late classical/renaissance.

Working as intended.

Later in the game, you can plant forests, and then put Mbanzas on them too.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
This game is completely unplayable for me. In the past hour, I've had SIX hard crashes to desktop. In this game alone I've counted over 30 crashes. All of them without any errors listed. I feel like I'm playing a Bethesda game and I have to quick save every second.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I haven't had any crashes since the one at the opening movie, but I autosave every turn out of habit from Civ 5. I would load them back before I disabled the unit autocycling if it made me mess up my movement that turn (it always did, just constantly), and I noticed that the game just straight-up cannot list anything in order. If you sort by time created, you'll find that the save from Turn 311 is on the top of the list, but Turn 314 is hidden in the middle somewhere.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

Yes, you click on one unit then right-click on the unit you want it to change places with. I'm sure you tried this already, but the secret is to realize that it only works when the game feels like it.

Both units have to be awake - you can't swap with a sleeping unit.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fryhtaning posted:

Why is this not the thread title yet??

e: Oh my god inquisitors are an instant :fuckoff: to unwanted religions

Are they? The last time I used them on king, even with very similar combat strengths, my inquisitors would regularly lose 30-40 health attacking apostles who lost only 20-25. I only later noticed that the reverse happens if you can goad AI apostles into attacking you by literally standing in their way.

I also didn't realize that religious units can heal.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Hamlet442 posted:

This game is completely unplayable for me. In the past hour, I've had SIX hard crashes to desktop. In this game alone I've counted over 30 crashes. All of them without any errors listed. I feel like I'm playing a Bethesda game and I have to quick save every second.

What are you doing? Starting new games? Picking your way through a single one? Do the crashes happen in loading, when you act, in the AI's turn?

I mean, I don't think that information will help people help you fix it, but it'll be interesting.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

eXXon posted:

Are they? The last time I used them on king, even with very similar combat strengths, my inquisitors would regularly lose 30-40 health attacking apostles who lost only 20-25. I only later noticed that the reverse happens if you can goad AI apostles into attacking you by literally standing in their way.

I also didn't realize that religious units can heal.

They're good for one thing only - removing unwanted religions from your own cities. They can't even go in the territory of your opponents. So if you conquer a bunch of cities from an opponent, start an inquisition and watch their cities' original religion fall like dominoes for the price of around 2 apostles - one to start the inquisition, and something like 6 or 7 inquisitors for the price of one apostle that would otherwise barely make a dent in your newly-conquered cities' original religions.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fryhtaning posted:

Both units have to be awake - you can't swap with a sleeping unit.

Nice to know. I never considered that. Assumed that if I ordered a unit to do something it would automatically wake up.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

There seems to be some sort of bug that causes ancient and classical era units to build faster even if you don't have the relevant policies slotted. Either that or I'm going crazy, but I can't make the cog number match up to production times. A horseman takes 2-3 turns to produce while a crossbowman takes 10+ even though the horsemen is 80 cogs compared to 180 for the crossbow.

I was able to use inquisitors to combat enemy apostles well enough, but often they are straight-up weaker so you need to cover them or have some kind of boost like the Theocracy government and/or Religious Orders. Note that the military policy for combat bonus against civilizations following another religion seems to work for theological combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fryhtaning posted:

They're good for one thing only - removing unwanted religions from your own cities. They can't even go in the territory of your opponents. So if you conquer a bunch of cities from an opponent, start an inquisition and watch their cities' original religion fall like dominoes for the price of around 2 apostles - one to start the inquisition, and something like 6 or 7 inquisitors for the price of one apostle that would otherwise barely make a dent in your newly-conquered cities' original religions.

Well yeah but if you use them in combat, you can prevent opposing civs from converting city states or 3rd party cities.