Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That seems like a problem with time zone management more than the encoding format. Although I might be misunderstanding because everything else makes sense.

In any case I think we can all agree that time itself is the horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Time zones are the horror. People's dumb obsession with the idea that the numbers must correlate with their observations of the sun. Smartest thing the Chinese ever did was picking a single time zone for their entire country.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Time being politicized is also what makes it a horror. Daylight savings time changes by congress, for example, and especially just the names of months of the year back to ancient Roman times all leave their mark upon the world for a long time.

If you look at all the years and dates Oracle supports (the database) they include pre-Gregorian calendars, lunar calendar (different civilizations' like Cherokee vs. Chinese), and I think even a goddamn Mayan calendar. Someone wanted that and Oracle felt like they were worth writing that crap for evidently. I can only imagine who the hell wanted these calendars in an RDBMS of all places.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Decimal time. Let's try it again. :colbert:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Time is an illusion cause relativity, let's just get rid of it

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

necrobobsledder posted:

Time being politicized is also what makes it a horror. Daylight savings time changes by congress, for example, and especially just the names of months of the year back to ancient Roman times all leave their mark upon the world for a long time.

If you look at all the years and dates Oracle supports (the database) they include pre-Gregorian calendars, lunar calendar (different civilizations' like Cherokee vs. Chinese), and I think even a goddamn Mayan calendar. Someone wanted that and Oracle felt like they were worth writing that crap for evidently. I can only imagine who the hell wanted these calendars in an RDBMS of all places.

Honestly, it was probably a bored programmer who did it as kind of an Easter egg, though pre-Gregorian calendars are useful for databases that have to track dates before the calendar change.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

xtal posted:

Time is an illusion cause relativity, let's just get rid of it

That's not what relativity means. It just means that the question "what time is it?" makes no sense unless you also know where it is and what coordinate system you're using.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

xzzy posted:

Decimal time. Let's try it again. :colbert:

What do you man, again? Today is Black Salsify day in the Foggy month of the 225th year!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. AA Hazredstein posted:

That's not what relativity means. It just means that the question "what time is it?" makes no sense unless you also know where it is and what coordinate system you're using.

I'm not aware of any 4 dimensional date encoding formats

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

xtal posted:

I'm not aware of any 4 dimensional date encoding formats

A time-zone is nothing but a coarse-grained coordinate providing the "space" in "spacetime". :science:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The number of elapsed seconds is actually somewhere between 26 and 36 seconds more since 26 leap seconds have been added to UTC since "new UTC" went into place in 1972, and fractional seconds were added to UTC prior to that since it was synchronized to TAI in 1958.

Could you elaborate on that? I'm working on a small project relating to this and as far as I knew the relationship between TAI and UTC wasn't well-defined prior to the beginning of 1961.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

IMO JSON has flaws. The biggest one, which I actually ran into in practice, is that parsers are actually completely random if there duplicate keys. I even ran into one parser that turned: {"foo": "bar", "foo": "butts"} into {"foo": ["bar", "butts"]}.

that's because in json {"foo": "bar", "foo": "butts"} is exactly {"foo": "bar", "foo": "butts"} and not anything else. its completely useless and means that most every parser and mapper doesn't roundtrip json correctly.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
JSONx does!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

FamDav posted:

that's because in json {"foo": "bar", "foo": "butts"} is exactly {"foo": "bar", "foo": "butts"} and not anything else. its completely useless and means that most every parser and mapper doesn't roundtrip json correctly.

why the gently caress is this even legal jason. it's so bad.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Soricidus posted:

Because Doug Crawford doesn't understand the difference between specifying the syntax of a data format and specifying its semantics.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Soricidus posted:

I think in an ordinary use case, the duplicate key should not come up - like in JS, if you define value["key1"]=2, value["key2"]=3 , the object itself just value["key1"]=3... Like the intended use of JSON is to serialize an object to a string - how do you end up with multiple duplicate keys in the same object? Maybe it could happen if you're creating your JSON through string concatenation...

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I think in an ordinary use case, the duplicate key should not come up

Yes, it's not like there have been a bazillion serious bugs caused by people producing inputs that would never be seen in ordinary use cases, let's go ahead and invent more standards that make huge assumptions about what inputs people will produce!

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Maybe it could happen if you're creating your JSON through string concatenation...

Protocol buffers is one encoding that allows this kind of thing, where you can concatenate the text format strings or even the raw bytes of the binary coding to "merge" messages. For singular fields, the last value for a particular field is taken; for repeated fields, the values are all appended together (in fact, non-packed repeated fields in a regular message are stored that way already).

So it's not totally insane that JSON might allow this too in theory, but it doesn't quite hold up because the concatenation of two JSON strings doesn't make sense: you'd have "{ ... }{ ... }", which isn't valid. (...right? :ohdear: )

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

Yes, it's not like there have been a bazillion serious bugs caused by people producing inputs that would never be seen in ordinary use cases, let's go ahead and invent more standards that make huge assumptions about what inputs people will produce!

If you're taking JSON from the outside world and not linting it, then you deserve what happens to you.

Flobbster posted:

{ ... }{ ... }

Those are some pretty misshapen triple-nippled boobs you got there, friend.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Those are some pretty misshapen triple-nippled boobs you got there, friend.

Hey, we're not here to kinkshame Jason.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

Because Doug Crawford doesn't understand the difference between specifying the syntax of a data format and specifying its semantics.

Exactly. Even if the semantics was "invalid JSON, throw error", I'd be OK with it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you're taking JSON from the outside world and not linting it, then you deserve what happens to you.

I can't stop laughing at the idea of a data serialisation format that requires a linter because the spec is so poorly written that merely accepting all standard-compliant inputs leaves you facing undefined behavior.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soricidus posted:

I can't stop laughing at the idea of a data serialisation format that requires a linter because the spec is so poorly written that merely accepting all standard-compliant inputs leaves you facing undefined behavior.

Somebody took a poorly-thought-out shortcut about a decade ago and now everybody's using it and there's no room for a four-lane but they did it anyone and there's a bunch of overhang and sinkholes pop up all the time but are YOU going to explain why we need to rewrite all the maps and who has time for that innovate innovate innovate disrupt disrupt disrupt?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

I think in an ordinary use case, the duplicate key should not come up - like in JS, if you define value["key1"]=2, value["key2"]=3 , the object itself just value["key1"]=3... Like the intended use of JSON is to serialize an object to a string - how do you end up with multiple duplicate keys in the same object? Maybe it could happen if you're creating your JSON through string concatenation...

Where I ran into this: this was a library that was serializing URL query strings, where duplicate keys are allowed and supported. It did not output correct JSON for the use case where multiple keys keys were passed.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

Where I ran into this: this was a library that was serializing URL query strings, where duplicate keys are allowed and supported. It did not output correct JSON for the use case where multiple keys keys were passed.
That's a good one. What do you think it should output?

Multiple instances of the same query string keys is an edge case for HTTP parsers that seems to get regularly tripped up. That was probably a bad idea itself.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That only matters with parameters in the format of whatever[] right? I would expect that to get converted to an array.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Don't serialize querystrings to JSON is the only correct answer. If you want them to round-trip then you have to store it as something that preserves order. Actually you could still use JSON: [["key", "value"], ["key", "value"], ...].

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

That only matters with parameters in the format of whatever[] right? I would expect that to get converted to an array.

That's a convention established by PHP, not part of any standard.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
If you want two definitions of 'key' to turn into [val1, val2] why don't you just make it that way in the first place? And if you don't, what the hell do you expect is going to happen?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't care what happens, as long as it's specified and consistent.

I just don't want people thinking JSON or serialized formats are super simple when they don't specify or seem to care about edge cases.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Soricidus posted:

This is the same line of thinking that led to him being all cutesy with the 'may not be used for evil' license.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Suspicious Dish posted:

I promise this is not nitpicking: "serialising URL query strings" is an incorrect phrase. The serialisation of a string is the string itself, appropriately wrapped.

What that library must have been doing is DE-serialising the query string into an object, and then RE-serialising the object into a JSON string. I don't know the stack you're working with, so is that correct?

If it is, the question then becomes: how were the key-value pairs represented in the intermediate object?

If they were represented as object properties or as a dictionary, then duplicate keys should not have been allowed to exist and the JSON serialiser is (partially!) excused because it was asked to serialise an already-illegal object.

If, however, they were represented as a list of key-value pairs, or as a dictionary with arrays for values (either of which can be a correct representation when duplicate keys must be supported), then yeah, the serialiser absolutely shat the bed.

brosmike
Jun 26, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I promise this is not nitpicking

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Parsing get parameters into a json string sounds like one heck of a coding horror to me.

I can sort of see why someone might want to do that but it sounds like a huge injection exploit waiting to be discovered.

Validate that poo poo before it gets to the building a string stage. :colbert:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

I promise this is not nitpicking: "serialising URL query strings" is an incorrect phrase. The serialisation of a string is the string itself, appropriately wrapped.

What that library must have been doing is DE-serialising the query string into an object, and then RE-serialising the object into a JSON string. I don't know the stack you're working with, so is that correct?

If it is, the question then becomes: how were the key-value pairs represented in the intermediate object?

If they were represented as object properties or as a dictionary, then duplicate keys should not have been allowed to exist and the JSON serialiser is (partially!) excused because it was asked to serialise an already-illegal object.

If, however, they were represented as a list of key-value pairs, or as a dictionary with arrays for values (either of which can be a correct representation when duplicate keys must be supported), then yeah, the serialiser absolutely shat the bed.

Paraphrased in JS, the code (in a third-party library) was roughly:

JavaScript code:
function parseQS(query) {
    let S = '{';
    query.split('&').forEach((item) => {
        let [k, v] = item.split('=');
        S += JSON.stringify(k);
        S += ': ';
        S += JSON.stringify(v);
        S += ', ';
    });
    S = S.slice(0, -2);
    S += '}';
    return S;
}

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
HTML code:
<li><a href="">Property Type<span id="middle_dots">&#5867;&#5867;&#5867;</span></a></li>
<li><a href="">Price Range<span id="middle_dots">&#5867;&#5867;&#5867;</span></a></li>
<li><a href="">Listing Type<span id="middle_dots">&#5867;&#5867;&#5867;</span></a></li>
<li><a href="">More Filters<span id="middle_dots">&#5867;&#5867;&#5867;</span></a></li>

canis minor
May 4, 2011

SO, please never change

code:
function convertToRoman(num) {

var evaluate = num.toString();
var replace = "";
var oneUnit;
var fiveUnit;
var tenUnit;

for (var i = 0; i < evaluate.length; i++ )
{

switch (evaluate.length | i)
  {
    case 1|0:
    case 2|1:
    case 3|2:
    case 4|3:
      oneUnit = "I";
      fiveUnit = "V";
      tenUnit = "X";
      break;
    case 2|0:
    case 3|1:
    case 4|2:
      oneUnit = "X";
      fiveUnit = "L";
      tenUnit = "C";
      break;
    case 3|0:
    case 4|1:
      oneUnit = "C";
      fiveUnit = "D";
      tenUnit = "M";
      break;
    case 4|0:
      oneUnit = "M";
      fiveUnit = "MMMMM";
      tenUnit = "MMMMMMMMMM";
      break;
  }

switch (evaluate.charAt(i))
{
  case "1":
  replace += oneUnit;
  break;

case "2":
  replace += oneUnit + oneUnit;
  break;

case "3":
  replace += oneUnit + oneUnit + oneUnit;
  break;

case "4":
  replace += oneUnit + fiveUnit;
  break;

case "5":
  replace += fiveUnit;
  break;

case "6":
  replace += fiveUnit + oneUnit;
  break;

case "7":
  replace += fiveUnit + oneUnit + oneUnit;
  break;

case "8":
  replace += fiveUnit + oneUnit + oneUnit + oneUnit;
  break;

case "9":
  replace += oneUnit + tenUnit;
  break;
}
}
num = replace;
return num;
}

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Oh my, that switch is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

HTML code:
<li><a href="">Property Type<span id="middle_dots">&#5867;&#5867;&#5867;</span></a></li>
<li><a href="">Price Range<span id="middle_dots">&#5867;&#5867;&#5867;</span></a></li>
<li><a href="">Listing Type<span id="middle_dots">&#5867;&#5867;&#5867;</span></a></li>
<li><a href="">More Filters<span id="middle_dots">&#5867;&#5867;&#5867;</span></a></li>

I see red touching yellow so I'm pretty sure it's poisonous.