Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
So what's the solo competitive hero picking etiquette? Jam pick McCree instantly and pray your teammates pick Reinhardt and some supports? And then wait until the last second to switch to a healer when they pick Reaper and Genji and start arguing?

'cos I play an alright support, but I seem way better more impactful at general DPS than most people in my rank. And picking offense heroes seems like a zero sum game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pick what hero you feel will most contribute to winning IMO. If you are good at DPS, then go DPS.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Macaluso posted:

lol "tracer eats Junkrat for breakfast" nice joke. More like she's eating an explosion cause her dumb rear end ran into my trap for the 10000th time

how did you find my tracer vods?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tracer is insanely good at killing junkrat, much like every other offensive hero, all of the tanks, the snipers, mei, zen, ana, and bastion

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Jeza posted:

So what's the solo competitive hero picking etiquette? Jam pick McCree instantly and pray your teammates pick Reinhardt and some supports? And then wait until the last second to switch to a healer when they pick Reaper and Genji and start arguing?

'cos I play an alright support, but I seem way better more impactful at general DPS than most people in my rank. And picking offense heroes seems like a zero sum game.

Solo etiquette.

1. Pick heroes you enjoy.
2. Disable chat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jeza posted:

do what you want and if you value winning more than practice with X hero either switch to what the team needs, get friends who will, or go to comp

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

Solo etiquette.

1. Pick heroes you enjoy.
2. Disable chat.

Omg Torb isn't talking to us GAAAWWD report him.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 29, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like hunting Junkrats as Tracer because you are generally able to beat him out of range of the trap and before the easy range of bombs, and you can survive the conc but I usually am not going face to face with them anyway. The hard part is just ccepting you're going to boost into death sometimes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I feel like whenever I group up with a friend or two to in QP or Comp the likelyhood of victory goes down drastically. I guess I'm just more focused on winning with people I know and loses seem worse that way.

If I soloq things don't seem as daunting. Probably cus I don't care as much?

Maybe I just need to hanjo it up more and quit worrying about defeats.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I feel like whenever I group up with a friend or two to in QP or Comp the likelyhood of victory goes down drastically. I guess I'm just more focused on winning with people I know and loses seem worse that way.

nah things are legitimately harder as a group unless your group is a bunch of tryhards at about the same skill level who all communicate and want to win. you get matched against other groups when you group queue and your mmr goes from what yours actually is to an average of everyone in the group, which can lead to some games where some of your friends just can't compete

playing as a 6stack is rough and you're gonna lose way more than you would by yourself

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

AndyElusive posted:

I trust my friends and they let me down
Solo q = trust no one, profit

It's also true that some friends just don't give a poo poo about tryharding and so they don't use the communication channel to communicate about the game per se :v:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Man, watching the World Tourney is hilarious. South Korea just gives no shits as they crush people. Bastion on the payload all the way to the point.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Torbjorn + Symmetra + Junkrat BM and poor Aussies never made it past the archway on Eichenwalde. rip.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is why I hate Junkrat in competitive.

He is kind of the low-effort defense equivalent of Lucio where the damage is done on a largely passive basis since you're lobbing the grenades over walls and poo poo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

He is kind of the low-effort defense equivalent of Lucio where the damage is done on a largely passive basis since you're lobbing the grenades over walls and poo poo.

If the damage isn't killing the enemy you are just fueling their support ults though

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Duck and Cover posted:

Omg Torb isn't talking to us GAAAWWD report him.

If your team is mad that you aren't talking to them, consider it an invitation to spam GET ON THE POINT!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Andrast posted:

If the damage isn't killing the enemy you are just fueling their support ults though

Oh absolutely, same way that Lucio is ultimately ineffective healer-wise through the low rate of healing but manages to put up crazy big healing numbers because it's everyone nearby at all times.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Jeza posted:

If you have a specific character you prefer for a given map, pick them promptly because it'll help your teammates decide their own picks. Be ready to switch if there's too many in your role and not enough of another, because lord knows you can't always depend on the other players to do that.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you have a specific character you prefer for a given map, pick them promptly because it'll help your teammates decide their own picks. Be ready to switch if there's too many in your role and not enough of another, because lord knows you can't always depend on the other players to do that.

I slam pick either reaper,mei, or pharah and then with a few secs left in the character select, switch to zen or zarya if we still need to fill a role.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I've started playing Reinhardt more recently and the amount of Pharahs that will just continue to ineffectually spam rockets at my shield from across the map is...interesting

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I've started playing Reinhardt more recently and the amount of Pharahs that will just continue to ineffectually spam rockets at my shield from across the map is...interesting

It's worthwhile to attack Reinhardt's shield if there's nothing else to shoot at. Keep the pressure on so the enemy team can't rely on having it for a big fight.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah, if I have no better targets, why not just shoot the big glowing shield? Not like I get extra XP for unspent rockets.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

ImPureAwesome posted:

I slam pick either reaper,mei, or pharah and then with a few secs left in the character select, switch to zen or zarya if we still need to fill a role.

I like to play Ana but I refuse to use her to solo heal so I like to slampick someone useless and then switch to Ana at the last second once it's too late for whatever other sucker who picked healer to switch out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
just pick zenyatta every time and do more damage than the damage heroes on your team, then you get to feel superior in 2 different ways

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
(and also because he's really good and rewarding to play)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zenyatta is cool and fun as hell, I liked him even when he was "bad" and was rewarded for my loyalty.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

IronicDongz posted:

(and also because he's really good and rewarding to play)

when u get the good games and people come back for heals and your head is just on a pivot tossin harmony and discord orbs like Obama

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I had a game on nepal where I was on the point(shrine), and an enemy junkrat bounced himself+one of my allies up over the wall with his conc into view for a split second. so I jammed my E and Lshift as fast as I could and gave him discord and the ally harmony before they fell out of sight. I gotchu fam

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I wonder if attitudes like this are why I always face Reinhardts with full shields. Spamming rockets are your shield forces you to keep the shield up and damages it quickly. Unless I have something much better to do, why should I do anything else? It's also a really easy target so I can focus on watching around me and moving to a better location while I dump fire into it. Win/win for Pharah. More people should do this, with l characters. It's not like you build charge for people shooting the shield so why not? Better than chip damage to players that just builds their healers' ults.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've seen so many people who have some kind of bizarre psychological block about shooting a) Reinhardt's shield and b) Torbjorn's turret.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

b) Torbjorn's turret.

Everyone but Lucio can out damage Torb's repairing. Well at least I think that's true.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Had someone in voice chat in comp insist shooting Rein's shield and Mei's wall gives them ult charge the other day. I suspect this is a widely held belief.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
"Damage that doesn't kill builds support ults" is such a weird thing to fixate on. It also builds your ult, which you can use to kill the support, or maybe everyone.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Everyone but Lucio can out damage Torb's repairing. Well at least I think that's true.

It has enough HP to kill some characters before they can kill it in a straight run, and this list is bigger if he's currently repairing it. This is no excuse for, like, McCree's behind Reinhardt's shield or Pharahs at any time ever, though.

I can't tell you how many games I've had to switch off a flanker because nobody would remove the one obstacle that's actually able to hit me consistently (and that would take me like 15 seconds of peekaboo to kill by myself.)

slydingdoor posted:

"Damage that doesn't kill builds support ults" is such a weird thing to fixate on. It also builds your ult, which you can use to kill the support, or maybe everyone.

It's not weird at all, several of the best ults in the game are support ults and some of the support ults can negate multiple regular ults at once.

It's especially important if you're a character with a garbage ult (like Junkrat or Roadhog) and you building yours is worth less than Lucio or Ana building theirs to begin with.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 30, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
And I might already have my ult charged, too. It's not something to fixate on, but it is something to be aware of, and does change what I'm doing when I'm playing Pharah, who is probably one of my favorite characters.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I always shoot Rein shields. I will pull out my pistol with Mercy to do it if boosting someone doesn't inspire them to do it.

People also widely widely ignore Symettra turrets and I end up killing those. Although to be fair on console where I mostly play they do so little damage that it's possible to stand under it and not notice right away.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've seen so many people who have some kind of bizarre psychological block about shooting a) Reinhardt's shield and b) Torbjorn's turret.

I've taken to pointing out that the sooner they bust the reinshield, the sooner I can discord that nazi and put my balls on his nazi face.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The weird thing is when it happens on your own team. People will just dart through your shield to shoot and fall back, instead of staying safe behind it because... :psyduck:.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I've taken to pointing out that the sooner they bust the reinshield, the sooner I can discord that nazi and put my balls on his nazi face.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:chloe: don't look at me like you don't expect him to be yelling about how Fraktur is the ultimate and perfect expression of written language.